Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:30   #19606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I'm very interested in the Fonepad as well.

Do give us a review once you've spent some quality time with it.
It's actually for Mrs G: if she likes it, I won't get any quality time on it .

But don't worry, if that happens, I'll buy myself one!
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:14   #19607
BHPian

Went back to stock on my Nexus 7 2012 tablet - can't wait to see how Lollipop fares!

Expecting an update tomorrow.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:49   #19608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Went back to stock on my Nexus 7 2012 tablet - can't wait to see how Lollipop fares!

Expecting an update tomorrow.
You won't get an update. Factory images will be released and you have to flash them. OTA updates will hit the devices around the third or fourth week of November.
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:57   #19609
BHPian

Guys Any Phone that does not heat during a 60 min call. Plus looking for really good battery backup. The phone is for my dad. He is currently using a Moto G 1st Gen and it is getting heated up bad really quick.

Features needed
3G , Dual Sim support
5"-5.2" screen with good daylight visibility(1280 x 720 is minimum preferable) and less than 150g weight,
battery backup for a day at minimum
and no heat issues for long time on call
OS Kitkat
If I can get it in 15k range I will be very happy

If Moto Droid (Moto Maxx) is released that will be my pick as we already own two Moto X 2nd generation phones and they are beautiful pieces. In this case it will be acceptable to spend high.

We had decent experience with Samsung phones in this regard. Very minimal heat Except that in that price range Sammy is offering really ordinary specs. I feel as if all the Grand phones are just a minor evolution over the 1st gen Grand.

Anyone used the Samsung Grand Prime. Heard the battery is not that great

How good are Lava, Lenovo, Micromax and other Chinese brands with respect to the above parameters. Recently released Lava Iris Fuel has good specs. But if the phone heats up like its name it is not suitable for me.

Wow looking at my requirements I am now doubtful if we even have a phone like that :(
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:05   #19610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Wow looking at my requirements I am now doubtful if we even have a phone like that(
My calls have sometimes lasted for over 30-40 minutes and never faced heating issue with my HTC Desire 816. Not sure about 60+ minute long call.

Its battery life can be easily stretched upto 2 days with basic usage excluding games/youtube streaming.

You may want to give it a try, though budget needs to be stretched by 3-4k.

Here is the battery life screenshot of my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1415010930391.jpg  

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd November 2014 at 16:07.
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:57   #19611
BHPian

Quote:
Guys Any Phone that does not heat during a 60 min call. Plus looking for really good battery backup. The phone is for my dad. He is currently using a Moto G 1st Gen and it is getting heated up bad really quick

How good are Lava, Lenovo, Micromax and other Chinese brands with respect to the above parameters. Recently released Lava Iris Fuel has good specs. But if the phone heats up like its name it is not suitable for me.

Wow looking at my requirements I am now doubtful if we even have a phone like that :(
I had similar issues. I opted for a basic Nokia for the long duration calls and kept my smartphone for everything else.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:30   #19612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys Any Phone that does not heat during a 60 min call.
I am using Galaxy S3 (Kitkat via CM11) and Blackberry 9720.Both do not have heating or any other issue with 1 or 2 Hour conference calls.

Samsung Grand phones should work too as long as you format and get rid of all Samsung stuff.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:16   #19613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My calls have sometimes lasted for over 30-40 minutes and never faced heating issue with my HTC Desire 816. Not sure about 60+ minute long call.
30-40 mins is as good or bad as one hour since the system would have equilibrated.

I am also a fan of htc and have three in the family. I find it much preferable to Samsung
Old 4th November 2014, 13:13   #19614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am not keen on more than 5" screen. 5.2" itself is a stretch. But the newer screens have lesser bezel so that is ok. I personally never liked idea of having a big or heavy phone near the ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I had similar issues. I opted for a basic Nokia for the long duration calls and kept my smartphone for everything else.
Evaluated this option but carrying 2 phones is a pain. Second Sim is only necessary when the primary Sim is not getting the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Samsung Grand phones should work too as long as you format and get rid of all Samsung stuff.
Dad din't like the Grand when I rooted. So rooting is not an option per se. He really liked the clipboard feature in SMS of Samsung grand. It was super convenient. Problem was it would slowdown a lot. And battery drained in less than half a day.

The search continues :(

Say if I consider Single Sim phones as well would the choice be better? Any recommendations in this aspect

Last edited by indian21r : 4th November 2014 at 13:16. Reason: Single sim option
Old 4th November 2014, 13:43   #19615
Senior - BHPian

Google Launches Android 5.0 Lollipop. Available Now

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...lipop-out-now/

Besides the Nexus devices, Moto devices will be the first ones to get the update. Rest of the companies are expected to rollout the update by early 2015.
Old 4th November 2014, 14:20   #19616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Google Launches Android 5.0 Lollipop. Available Now

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...lipop-out-now/

Besides the Nexus devices, Moto devices will be the first ones to get the update. Rest of the companies are expected to rollout the update by early 2015.
I can't see any thing on the factory images page.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Old 4th November 2014, 14:26   #19617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I can't see any thing on the factory images page.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
I have no idea. But it surely is available now. One more place confirming the same. http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...ing-out-615893
Old 4th November 2014, 14:30   #19618
Senior - BHPian

Should the Redmi 1S be so avoided for its heating and hanging (doesn't the latest updates take care of this) issues? Or for any other strong reasons?

I would have gone for Asus but for the battery backup, Moto E for the high SAR values and Honor Holly for not-so-great display.

BTW, that is the SAR value for the Redmi 1S?
Old 4th November 2014, 15:40   #19619
Distinguished - BHPian

After a rather bad buying experience from Flipkart, Asus Fonepad 2014 is in the house.

Initially, the first-start setup wizard was a bit of a turn off. I don't lke being forced to have an Asus/Whoever account, and I wish these people would give an exit wizard, I'm happy to configure the settings myself option.

After that, things looked up. It seems to be great value for money. There may be better, there may be much better, but I'm still a bit of a sucker for a brand name that is well known to me. Perhaps I should have been following this thread more carefully and got better educated about the relative newcomers to the market.

There was no facility for push-a-button secure wifi setup, but, with the larger screen, and this is a first for me, I managed to type my looooooong (I think it is the full 64 characters, and nonsense too) wifi password correctly first time and the connection was instant. Now I just need to tell the router to always give this MAC address the same IP. Why? Because I'm a control freak with those things: I don't think there is any other reason

I'm trying to remember how I cut the advertising on my Defy+ when I first had it. If I remember correctly, it was by copying a new hosts file, and that was possible, even without rooting the device, by using adb from the PC.

I don't really care to root the tablet while it is still under warranty. However, a quick browse suggests that it is not an easy one. That is a disadvantage.
Old 4th November 2014, 16:01   #19620
BANNED

I think this dual SIM is more of an Indian disease. I have had only one phone for almost all the time since 1999 when I took on a mobile. I have a second one in my name but that is my wife's, so i do not use it. When I was on Reliance CDMA I did use it when there was no CDMA coverage on with a Matrix SIM. Just see dual SIM phones are more of an Indian (and Chinese) phenomenon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks