Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:23   #1966
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys, pardon me for the noob questions:
Is this ADW Launcher exclusively for HTC phones or can the same be installed on Samsung phones.

Also wanted to know how can I install apps directly on the SD Card of my Samsung Galaxy ACE. I installed one yesterday and by default, it was installed on the phone's memory.
ADW launcher can be used in any model.
You can install an app called App2SD Free which will notify you whenever an app gets installed in phone's memory, that can be moved to SD card. Not all apps can be moved.

Guys, after you install ADW launcher, when you press home button, you will be given two options to select, HTC Sense & ADW. Select ADW and check the checkbox to make it default. After that you will not be asked to select the home launcher again, phone will assume ADW as default launcher.

Getting back the old home launcher (HTC Sense) is not that direct - you have to goto applications, fine ADW Launcher, tap on it, and scroll down and tap on the button 'clear defaults'. This will again make the phone ask for the launcher to use upon next home button click - select HTC Sense and make it default.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:46   #1967
BHPian

Friends,

Thinking of buying Samsung Ace for the price and features provided. But, LG O1 also has similar features. Some of them say Samsung ACE lacks sufficient RAM compared to LG O1. I am looking for either LG O1 or Ace.
Feature-wise, battery backup, multi-tasking etc, which is better?

Please advise.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:43   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,
Thinking of buying Samsung Ace for the price and features provided. But, LG O1 also has similar features. Some of them say Samsung ACE lacks sufficient RAM compared to LG O1. I am looking for either LG O1 or Ace.
Feature-wise, battery backup, multi-tasking etc, which is better?
Please advise.
Battery backup-LG O1 is better
RAM -LG O1 is better
Gingerbread-LG O1 is already confirmed by the company
Price-LG O1~12K vs ACE~15K
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:07   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
As of now I am sitting on the wall, not sure whether I know enough to go ahead and root the device.
rooted my desire. now wondering whether I should try some 2.3 ROM or not. Not able to decide which ROM is the best & most suited for me without loading to the phone.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:51   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
rooted my desire. now wondering whether I should try some 2.3 ROM or not. Not able to decide which ROM is the best & most suited for me without loading to the phone.
Heard 2.3 based Oxygen is good. Could you please share the procedure you have followed to root? Created a gold card and kept it aside?

How old is the phone? I just want to make sure that I can revert the phone back to the original factory ROM if I have to take it to service center to claim warranty on some hardware failure. Heard that changing the phone's radio firmware is the most riskiest thing that could brick your phone but most custom ROMs doesn't include a Radio rom with them.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd February 2011 at 16:54.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:25   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Heard 2.3 based Oxygen is good. Could you please share the procedure you have followed to root? Created a gold card and kept it aside?

How old is the phone? I just want to make sure that I can revert the phone back to the original factory ROM if I have to take it to service center to claim warranty on some hardware failure. Heard that changing the phone's radio firmware is the most riskiest thing that could brick your phone but most custom ROMs doesn't include a Radio rom with them.
Used unrevoked for rooting it. Faced some niggles with windows but was smooth on linux with no intervention.

Even i am worried about screwing up the radio & hence thinking twice (more than twice rather :P) before going for an upgrade even though they claim that the new releases are better. I don't want to brick the phone for this stupid reason of experimenting after paying 22k.

Checked the videos of some ROMs on youtube, but couldn't figure out much since its just a video. Wanted to find out if the ROMs can be loaded in the ADK and tried out first for the look & feel before loading. Let me explore on some forums if we can try out the ROMs on a PC before installing them. Let me know if you have figured some way to try it out.

Last edited by null : 22nd February 2011 at 17:33.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:38   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Since many are considering the Optimus 1, please be aware that way too many people seem to be complaining about dust getting under the screen, even in "normal" conditions. Some reports say that this has been fixed in the newer batches. Cannot comment on the credibility of the reports that say it has been fixed. In any case, you may at least want check that you buy from the newest stocks.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:40   #1973
BHPian

A lot of people have loathed the Motorola UI which is what stopped me from going ahead with the Defy. Except for the 1 GHz process the Defy has everything that the HTC Desire has. However the fact that it’s a tough one gladdens me most since I have a 3 yr old who accidentally drops it sometimes.
Please help me clear my doubts:
1. Can I replace the UI with say a ADW one?
2. If Motorola does not give a quick upgrade to 2.2 (Froyo) can I do it myself in any way?
3. The phone has Flash Lite installed. On upgrading to 2.2, will it also get the full Flash?
How good is the overall Motorola service since I have never used one ever.

Personally I love the HTC Desire, but some how just cant digest the fact that I will have to shell out 21K for a 1 yr old phone which does not even come with bill and warranty (at my local retailer).
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:44   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used unrevoked for rooting it. Faced some niggles with windows but was smooth on linux with no intervention.

Even i am worried about screwing up the radio & hence thinking twice (more than twice rather :P) before going for an upgrade even though they claim that the new releases are better. I don't want to brick the phone for this stupid reason of experimenting after paying 22k.

Checked the videos of some ROMs on Youtube, but couldn't figure out much since its just a video. Wanted to find out if the ROMs can be loaded in the ADK and tried out first for the look & feel before loading. Let me explore on some forums if we can try out the ROMs on a PC before installing them. Let me know if you have figured some way to try it out.
There seems to be a way for testing custom ROMs before you flash, here is a link

[Testing] Getting an emulator up and running a full ROM with the Market etc. - Android @ MoDaCo

I am also going to try this out. You don't need to worry much about having trouble with Radio firmware and getting your phone bricked due to that because most of these custom ROMs doesn't touch Radio firmware.

Still my question is open: Gold card creation? Is it really required to revert back everything to original in the future?
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:54   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Since many are considering the Optimus 1, please be aware that way too many people seem to be complaining about dust getting under the screen, even in "normal" conditions. Some reports say that this has been fixed in the newer batches. Cannot comment on the credibility of the reports that say it has been fixed. In any case, you may at least want check that you buy from the newest stocks.
I am using optimus one for quite some time now and there is no such problem.

In fact, I love the phone.
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:08   #1976
BHPian

I tried to see if I can load the ROM in ADK briefly last weekend, but got some exceptions and didn't go further on it. Will try to see if I can explore further to try it at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Still my question is open: Gold card creation? Is it really required to revert back everything to original in the future?
No. This approach does not need a gold card for rooting as it is a 1 click rooting application with no procedures of any kind. The application does everything needed in less than 5 mins. I guess it replaced the boot rom with the clockwork bootloader & unlocked the security flag for root access. I did not think too much about warranty when I did it. Except for the S-off flag reset(even this can be reset is what is claimed), everything else can be reverted back to stock from what I understood on the forums. Question is, when you have a hardware failure, how would you be in a position to reflash the stock rom back?

There are mixed comments on warranty being void on rooted phones - Bottom line - warranty is void.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:33   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am using optimus one for quite some time now and there is no such problem.

In fact, I love the phone.
Actually, nor do I. But then mine is barely a month old and has been in a very low dust environment. Has yours seen at least a "normally" dusty Indian environment?

A LOT of people seem to be facing the issue though. Maybe it was an issue with previous lots.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:57   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Question is, when you have a hardware failure, how would you be in a position to reflash the stock rom back?
There are mixed comments on warranty being void on rooted phones - Bottom line - warranty is void.
Yes I understand that.. but there can be something like a Wi-Fi failure (had it once in my SE W705) or a camera failure or dead pixels creeping up in display (had this too) or something like that, which will not completely affect the system, I hope in that case we can revert everything back before claiming warranty.

Decided on the ROM? What are you doing with the phone now without anything on it?
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:29   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Battery backup-LG O1 is better
RAM -LG O1 is better
Gingerbread-LG O1 is already confirmed by the company
Price-LG O1~12K vs ACE~15K

Galaxy Ace 5 MP camera with LED flash ( Camera is just awesome ) even tried the macro mode and the photos are simple awesome
Galaxy Ace 800 Mhz processor compared to 600 Mhz on LG 01
Galaxy Ace - big 3.5 screen
Galaxy Ace - DNSE sound enhancement - oh boy! does it sound awesome !
Galaxy Ace - Dual back panels white and black
the black panel is now not shiny and glossy like it was in Galaxy S but it has a pattern and scratch proof .
The white one is nice and glossy and once white is put on it pretty much looks like the iphone 4
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:36   #1980
Senior - BHPian

^ I have an old Samsung Mp3 player with DNSE enhancement. Yes it is really impressive.

Most Viewed