Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 10:21   #19786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Anyone having trouble with Nexus 4 touch?
On Saturday, the soft keys stopped working. Had to twist the phone into landscape mode to get the buttons to the other side.
And then later the entire touch panel starts acting up, like having a mind of its own. Lot of ghost touches at times and then absolutely no response at all.
Googled it and seems like a lot of people are having such issues. Wondering if its a hardware issue or not.
This is a known issue with the Nexus 4. A friend of mine had this happen one day before the warranty expired and LG replaced the screen / digitizer under warranty.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:23   #19787
mxx
BHPian

does the nexus 5 (the version available in India) support airtel 4g (2300MHz) band?
Old 17th November 2014, 15:55   #19788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Can you not return it to Flipkart in return for Wallet money?
Not very sure of the return policy as its sold by WS Retail via Flipkart. Anyway I was playing with the phone right from the moment it reached, fell in love with it and I dont have any reason to return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
...The biggest con in first-gen MotoG is the absence of memory card and mediocre camera performance.
Agree 100%. I find thats the only 2 negatives about Moto G, which is not a concern for many users. I find it worth every penny !
Old 17th November 2014, 16:12   #19789
BHPian

Moto E!
Random restarts!
Does anyone else have this issue?
Other than that the phone is amazing for its price. I got it for 5500 bucks on big billion day! Can't wait for the Lollipop update!
Old 17th November 2014, 17:27   #19790
BHPian

Moto G users who want more memory space, can use USB OTG cable or flash drive. Works good.
Old 18th November 2014, 01:29   #19791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
I have one of those. Its the Motorola power pack slim P4000. Look it up on Flipkart.
It definitely wasnt this one. Also the Moto seems a lot more expensive than the one I saw (no brand mentioned anywhere on the body. It was a gift from his company).
Old 18th November 2014, 02:06   #19792
BHPian

I was at the airport and couldn't resist walking into the Croma store. I've had my eye on the xperia z3 compact since it was launched as I was tired of having my phone fall out of my hand while lying on my back and not bring able to hold it securely while walking.

I first thought about getting the Nokia lumia 730 and landed up buying it. It was doa and so the guys at the store offered to change it.

I then decided to get the xperia. The price difference was staggering of course. It cost me 42k. So far the battery is awesome. It just stands out. I've managed to get 4 hours of screen time and about 2 hours of calls. No where near the 48 hour claim Sony makes. Not water tested and nor do I plan to.

Order the magnetic dock off ebay. Plan to retain the lg g2 to mess around with custom roms, etc.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:56   #19793
BHPian

I have just got the Android Lollipop update OTA on my Nexus 5. While the UI seems to be very modern looking it made my device completely "unusable"

1. Battery life! - It charges at the same rate it discharges. So effectively the battery remains steadily wherever it is - no matter how long the device is plugged into the power socket. The moment I take it off the charger, it drains in an hour.

2. The long press options on the power button are gone! Now it only lists "Power off". Earlier we had airplane mode, silent, vibrate options in that menu.

3. There are other small problems.

The battery life is killing me now. I trusted Google and applied the OTA update. I did not want to take a chance with downloading a ROM and applying it. Hence waited for the OTA. Now I am completely screwed. There is no way of downgrading to Kitkat. (Unless I want to download the kitkat image and flashing my phone losing all data)

Oh Google, why! If Nexus 5 can't handle Lollipop, why even push it to this device?
Old 18th November 2014, 18:10   #19794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I have just got the Android Lollipop update OTA on my Nexus 5. While the UI seems to be very modern looking it made my device completely "unusable"

1. Battery life! - It charges at the same rate it discharges. So effectively the battery remains steadily wherever it is - no matter how long the device is plugged into the power socket. The moment I take it off the charger, it drains in an hour.

2. The long press options on the power button are gone! Now it only lists "Power off". Earlier we had airplane mode, silent, vibrate options in that menu.

The battery life is killing me now. I trusted Google and applied the OTA update. I did not want to take a chance with downloading a ROM and applying it. Hence waited for the OTA. Now I am completely screwed. There is no way of downgrading to Kitkat. (Unless I want to download the kitkat image and flashing my phone losing all data)

Oh Google, why! If Nexus 5 can't handle Lollipop, why even push it to this device?
I heard about few battery life issues after updates (I own a Nexus 5 too but not updated yet) but have you enabled ART? If not try enabling that and see if that solves your issue.

I read some blogs/articles which claim increase in battery performances after 1 or 2 days as the OS adjusts itself for the usage pattern and supposedly improved the battery performance which stands better now than how it was before the update.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:16   #19795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
I heard about few battery life issues after updates (I own a Nexus 5 too but not updated yet) but have you enabled ART? If not try enabling that and see if that solves your issue.

I read some blogs/articles which claim increase in battery performances after 1 or 2 days as the OS adjusts itself for the usage pattern and supposedly improved the battery performance which stands better now than how it was before the update.
Unfortunately there is no way of choosing a run time in Lollipop. You are stuck with ART. Dalvik option is no longer available.

I will give it a couple of days and then downgrade using the factory image.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:36   #19796
BHPian

So the Nexus 6 is up for pre-order on Flipkart, will be released in 2nd week of December.
Anyone ordering it? Must say, the launch offers are pretty tempting. I would have gone for it but the huge size of the device sounds quite daunting to me.
Old 18th November 2014, 20:53   #19797
BHPian

Quote:

Whenever there is a major update, its recommended to do a factory data reset, so that any incompatible apps (mainly battery hogging) will be cleared out.

I suggest to do a complete factory reset if possible(of course, after taking backup) and reinstall all the apps. Then wait for a couple of days for the battery to be caliberated properly for your usage pattern.
Old 18th November 2014, 20:59   #19798
BHPian

Quote:

You will not necessarily looses all the data once you flash a factory image if you have a unlocked boot loader. You only have to modify one word in the package to make sure complete wipe is not done.

I own a nexus 5 too and the battery life is terrible. Google had actually delayed the release of due to battery drain issues while wifi was on. I believe they have not fixed it yet. While not on wifi the battery life is noticeably better. Try it out
Old 18th November 2014, 21:21   #19799
BHPian

Given all the complaints about the new Android L, can we safely call this release the "LolliFlop" ? The Nexus 7 2013 doesn't seem to be much affected, but the Nexus 7 2012 (me) and Nexus5 owners are whining quite a bit.

Anyone know when the Redmi Note can be expected to be launched in India? The specs are mouth-watering for the price. Might buy one for my father!
Old 18th November 2014, 22:27   #19800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
Whenever there is a major update, its recommended to do a factory data reset, so that any incompatible apps (mainly battery hogging) will be cleared out.

I suggest to do a complete factory reset if possible(of course, after taking backup) and reinstall all the apps. Then wait for a couple of days for the battery to be caliberated properly for your usage pattern.
One big problem that I foresee with a factory reset is Google Authenticator.. Currently there is no way of getting those codes synced again.

Most Viewed