Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:38   #1981
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
A lot of people have loathed the Motorola UI which is what stopped me from going ahead with the Defy. Except for the 1 GHz process the Defy has everything that the HTC Desire has. However the fact that it’s a tough one gladdens me most since I have a 3 yr old who accidentally drops it sometimes.
Please help me clear my doubts:
1. Can I replace the UI with say a ADW one?
2. If Motorola does not give a quick upgrade to 2.2 (Froyo) can I do it myself in any way?
3. The phone has Flash Lite installed. On upgrading to 2.2, will it also get the full Flash?
How good is the overall Motorola service since I have never used one ever.

Personally I love the HTC Desire, but some how just cant digest the fact that I will have to shell out 21K for a 1 yr old phone which does not even come with bill and warranty (at my local retailer).
I love the HTC Desire too, but its rediculous to pay 21k for it. BTW, the Defy has better performance than the Desire now; the processor tech is newer, even though the clock speed is lower. Try out the Motoblur UI before you decide; its not as bad as people make out to be and its heavily integrated with social networks, if thats your cup of tea. I just tried out the Samsung TouchWiz UI on a Galaxy S and i was actually pretty impressed. Its more than powerful for the average user. I didnt at first like the UI because its not fancy like the Sense on HTC phones, but its good in its own way and its probably the closest UI to the actual stock Android expierence, i.e the Nexus S and Nexus One. I would say the iPhone interface is the closest to the Samsung one, or i guess vice versa, lol.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:02   #1982
Senior - BHPian

been weighing the pros and cons of 2 phone for the last 10 days - the Samsung Ace and the LG Optimus

The opti is 3000 rs cheaper than the Ace.

For 3000 bucks more , we get a 0.35 inch space more , a faster processor, lesser RAM and better looks (IMO) with the Ace.

Is it worth going with the Samsung ? Or should I stick to the Optimus ?

Usage is going to be phone calls, browsing, use of GPS majorly.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:05   #1983
Team-BHP Support

Remember, LG comes with Ndrive pre installed, so you get Turn by turn driving directions without any data connection(Only first time activation requires data connection).
for your use, extra 200MHz will not make any difference. I suggest you save the 3000rs.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:06   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
been weighing the pros and cons of 2 phone for the last 10 days - the Samsung Ace and the LG Optimus

For 3000 bucks more , we get a 0.35 inch space more , a faster processor, lesser RAM and better looks (IMO) with the Ace.

Just go with the Ace, the faster processor will be good. If you are browsing, every inch of screen real estate helps .
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:09   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

GPS locking on Galaxy 3 is very bad, it take too long a time to lock or it might not lock also, its same with most friends who has Galaxy 3. Check about ACE GPS capability before buying.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:12   #1986
Mik
BHPian

I am using the Optimus One for the last few months. It works well for almost all of my applications without processing issues.
However, NDrive is something i didn't like. Very clumsy UI and limited points of interest. I find google maps better.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:12   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Remember, LG comes with Ndrive pre installed, so you get Turn by turn driving directions without any data connection(Only first time activation requires data connection).
for your use, extra 200MHz will not make any difference. I suggest you save the 3000rs.
Tanveer, how good or bad is N drive ? Is it accurate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Just go with the Ace, the faster processor will be good. If you are browsing, every inch of screen real estate helps .
I heard the processor is the same in both phones, Samsung over-clocked it to 800.....as for screen real estate I agree on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
GPS locking on Galaxy 3 is very bad, it take too long a time to lock or it might not lock also, its same with most friends who has Galaxy 3. Check about ACE GPS capability before buying.
Will have to find out more about the GPS locking capability
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:16   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
i didnt hear anything about any GPS problems with the Ace in any of the reviews, so that should be fine. Im not a big GPS guy because i ride a bike, so how can you use it anyways, . I am aware of some of the early model Galaxy problems with GPS, but that should have been sorted out by now.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:18   #1989
Team-BHP Support

Ndrive is decent. Not as good as mapmyindia(which will cost you 1900 if you decide to download it from their shop).
I am not too sure about bombay coverage.
That said, if you don't care about routing, many apps like androzic and oruxmaps support offline maps using Google/Bing/OSM/Yahoo Maps/Ovi Maps etc., etc.,

Normally, I have seen if you know an area somewhat, plotting own route is always better than trusting the mapping software as they usually take you through the busiest roads, which is not a good idea in rush hours.

Regarding Galaxy GPS locking, it was a bug, and samsung has fixed it. You can be sure this issue won't come up in the newer models.

On the Optimus, even without any GPRS/WIFI connection, I can lock satellites outdoors within a few seconds
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:20   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer, how good or bad is N drive ? Is it accurate ?

I heard the processor is the same in both phones, Samsung over-clocked it to 800.....as for screen real estate I agree on that.

Will have to find out more about the GPS locking capability
hmmn, i didnt hear about the overclocking bit, but if its true, then i guess its a wash then pretty much, between the LG and Samsung. The Samsung is just newer, so thats why i would say go for that.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:28   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer - Since we are talking Android OS here, I'd like to believe one can install any maps+routing app. I'm guessing some would be free, and others could be installed without much effort (read: by browsing relevant forums).

I have used Garmin, NDrive and Sygic on my E71 (Symbian) without paying a dime. In my experience, Sygic works awesome out of the three and I'm sure I've seen their Android version on the WWW.

So a routing app should not be the criterion for deciding the phone I feel.

Quote:
How can one check the GPS capability inside any shop? Wouldn't you need to take the phone outdoors to check locking time etc? Do mobile phone shops allow such a testing?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:32   #1992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Tanveer - Since we are talking Android OS here, I'd like to believe one can install any maps+routing app. I'm guessing some would be free, and others could be installed without much effort (read: by browsing relevant forums).

I have used Garmin, NDrive and Sygic on my E71 (Symbian) without paying a dime. In my experience, Sygic works awesome out of the three and I'm sure I've seen their Android version on the WWW.

So a routing app should not be the criterion for deciding the phone I feel.
I was talking about legal ways of getting software

Quote:
How can one check the GPS capability inside any shop? Wouldn't you need to take the phone outdoors to check locking time etc? Do mobile phone shops allow such a testing?
Well depends on the shop. Most shops do not allow you to feel the actual phone, but give you a dummy phone, some shops have working display pieces which you can test.
However, browse the XDA forums etc., you will know which phone has what issues.
Galaxy 3 had this issue, and XDA guys released a patch. Now even samsung has released a patch and issues are sorted.
Ace has no such issues.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:42   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
i didnt hear anything about any GPS problems with the Ace in any of the reviews, so that should be fine. Im not a big GPS guy because i ride a bike, so how can you use it anyways, . I am aware of some of the early model Galaxy problems with GPS, but that should have been sorted out by now.
Should we get any software of firmware update to get this fixed? Let me know if anyone has done this ?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:59   #1994
Team-BHP Support

If you are a galaxy 3 owner, you can get the latest update from Samsung website.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:04   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are a galaxy 3 owner, you can get the latest update from Samsung website.
Yes i am having Galaxy 3, and GPS don't seem to lock. I checked the website, i did not see any update here

Galaxy 3 I5801 - Galaxy 3 I5801 - Touch Phone - Mobile Phone | SAMSUNG

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks