Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 15:13   #20146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Frankly I didn't face any issues related to battery performance. The battery is capable of holding the charge at least for a day in my case and in special cases for a couple of days.
The screen brightness is always kept on Auto and the power saver is on optimized mode all the time.

Just a query since you are pretty satisfied with the battery. Have you updated to Kitkat 4.4.2 ? I read at a few places that after updating to kitkat, battery consumption is observed to have increased.

As we talk right now, at 3:15, battery level is at 49%.

EDIT: How is your usage? Eg: since morning it shows that Cricbuzz has taken up majority of the usage, followed by the screen. I hardly checked Cricbuzz for 2-3 times, just to check the score and the scoreboard. Then Sudoku was played for roughly 30 min, not more. 3G is always on, and I keep checking Whatsapp every now and then.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 19th December 2014 at 15:15.
Old 19th December 2014, 15:43   #20147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Have you updated to Kitkat 4.4.2 ? I read at a few places that after updating to kitkat, battery consumption is observed to have increased.

EDIT: How is your usage?
Yes I have updated to Kitkat and did observe a drop in the battery performance but not noticeable. My usage is fairly moderate in the mornings, I have 2G and not 3G, it usually the Whatsapp and 10-15 calls. The battery performs good during this time. the actual action starts in the evening when the wifi is On, 2G is switched off and lot of apps open up. Thats when the battery starts to drop down drastically.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:21   #20148
Oxy
BHPian

Has anyone here registered to buy the Yureka phone?

The features look amazingly great for a Rs.9000 phone - 5.5 inch screen, 2 GB RAM, Gorilla Glass, 4G LTE Support, 13 MP rear camera having a Sony sensor, 5 MP front camera, Cynogen OS 11, Octa Core processor, Dual Sim (4G+3G).

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=amb_link_...d_i=1320006031

Last edited by Oxy : 19th December 2014 at 16:26.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:31   #20149
BHPian

Today morning received an update of lollipop on my nexus 4, the version is 5.0.1. Do not know, what all has changed or improved. Hope they have done a good job on this update.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:57   #20150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
- Moto X 2nd gen is not available on Flipkart since last few days!

- As we know, MotoX is available only in 16 GB variant without any option of memory expansion and that is biggest drawback for this phone. When it was launched in India, the memory option of only 16GB was reflecting on Motorola India website as well. Here is a capture of the website from Sept : http://web.archive.org/web/201409100...rola-moto-x-in

- Today when I checked Motorola India website, it was showing 16GB & 32Gb as storage options. http://www.motorola.in/Moto-X/Moto-x-gen2-india.html

Does it mean that whenever next stock will be available for sale, it will also include the 32GB version? Contacting Flipkart of Motorola doesn't clarify anything. They give usual reply - "32GB version is not available n India and they will inform whenever it will be available".
Yeah, my speculation was right.

Finally the 32 GB variant of the MotoX2 is coming to India.

Here is the Flipkart listing :

http://www.flipkart.com/moto-x-2nd-g...0-a83e71f7f024
Old 19th December 2014, 17:09   #20151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I remember participating in the discussion about the current version of the GNU GPL and LGPL and distinctly remember that those contain "no suit on patent" clauses.

So which version of the LGPL were the MP3 Codecs released?

The kernel uses an older version of the GNU GPL.
The latest version of GNU GPL License is v3 , GNU LGPL v3 is a compatible license with GPL v3 and used for libraries.

The patent related clause in GNU GPL v3 is to extent that code being distributed is usable by licencee it is not comprehensive patent grant.

However just because v3 is in existence it is not mandatory that everyone must move to it simply because there was no clause in original licnese that it will get re-licensed automatically. Each single contributor in any code base must agree to re-license exclusively to v3 which is impossible.
So the best solution found for most software was to continue dual licencing and new code base being added can be exclusively v3.

V3 is mainly about anti-tivolization which in basic terms mean that hardware on which the GNU GPL licensed software runs can not be locked down. This in turn means that all hardware such as settop boxes , smartwatch , mobiles , routers which use V3 licensed software can not lock the boot-loader and manufacturer must ensure that users of the hardware can continue to use the modified software.

As you can understand no commercial vendor today is willing to use the V3.
So while Linux foundation dual licensed the Kernel and other software under both v3 and v2 there is no common understanding to use v3 exclusively.
Most contributors and maintainers in Linux world are commercial organizations and they need to have a viable business models and this is the reason most of the code remains dual licensed.

So In case of commercial vendors people use tools such as Blackduk to check the code base license and wherever V3 code is found the file is removed and equivalent code is developed either internally or component is replaced by another with suitable license.

So in nutshell until Fraunhauffer and other similar universities / institutes decide that they should forgo the main revenue source they will not move to
v3 .

Personally I do not think it will be a good move because hard research gets funding generated by these sources and it won't be really good to cut .
So whatever Richard Stallman and FSF say I think it is highly unlikely that they will re-license.

Tool chains such as gcc migrated to V3 long back because there is no requirement to ship tool-chain with hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Anyway, if the matter is merely about trademarks, I am with Micromax and CM.

Another question. Does this agreement mean I can no longer use ROM Manager to download and install a future version of CM on a yet to be launched piece of hardware ( as and when they become available)? ;-)
Well I do not think it should bar you downloading and installing because the code base is Apache V2 licensed and there is no way CM can sign an agreement in violation of software license. If there are any CM developed modules which are licensed differently then that is another story.
The dispute is about CM's own service rendering to MM.
Old 19th December 2014, 18:22   #20152
mxx
BHPian

with YU sub-brand I thought micromax is going to bring some good products. But, looks like I was wrong. newly launched Yureka is a typical micromax crap. Just a re-branded chinese phone - coolpad F2 in this case. Coolpad is nutorious for installing backdoors on their phones http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12...security-firm/ - cant they atleast partner with some decent OEM
looks like only difference with yu brand is cyngn os

Last edited by mxx : 19th December 2014 at 18:43.
Old 19th December 2014, 20:42   #20153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Today morning received an update of lollipop on my nexus 4, the version is 5.0.1. Do not know, what all has changed or improved. Hope they have done a good job on this update.
In my Nexus 5 as well there was an update for 5.0.1
I hadn't expected an update so early after Lollipop version rolled out. But I see no change any where. Maybe it was for bugs with the 5.0, but I have had no issue with my Nexus device
Old 19th December 2014, 21:02   #20154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I hadn't expected an update so early after Lollipop version rolled out. But I see no change any where. Maybe it was for bugs with the 5.0, but I have had no issue with my Nexus device
I think one major aspect it addressed was the Wifi Issue. It seems to have finally gone in my Nexus 5 after the 5.0.1 update.
Old 19th December 2014, 21:12   #20155
BHPian

OnePlus One banned in India after infringing on Micromax's agreement with Cyanogen

These people just come half prepared in the hurry of pricing their products at lowest and their half preparation put themselves in the trouble.

One thing is clear, Cyanogen INC just proved themselves an immature player in the market, just like buggy and half baked CM custom ROMs.
Old 21st December 2014, 10:22   #20156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
OnePlus One banned in India after infringing on Micromax's agreement with Cyanogen

These people just come half prepared in the hurry of pricing their products at lowest and their half preparation put themselves in the trouble.
There is a thread on Xda about it which throws more light on the case (with official court documents). Here is the link
Old 21st December 2014, 10:33   #20157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In other words you are asking why companies like Samsung, Motorola etc are employing armies or people to work on phone models.
No I am just trying to understand what it takes for a company like OnePlus to create a custom rom for their phone so that they do not have to depend on Cyanogen for it. I am not very fond of Cyanogen mod anyway. Way too many options.

Quote:
Lots of differences buddy , Even with AOSP a default Nexus phone needs a small battalion of software engineers to bring it to commercial level.
What exactly is the AOSP build? Is it hardware agnostic with kernel level hardware drivers doing all the heavylifting to run the AOSP on top? In that case, as you said, the chipset OEM will do all the dirty work. Is it testing that consumes time?

Quote:
Suppose your objective is just to prepare a clone phone with AOSP on some chipset then probably you need not do anything most chip set vendors do maintain a branch and you just need to compile and flash.
However suppose you are a chip set vendor or an OEM yourself then it involves a lot of work.
This means that it should not be too difficult for OnePlus to create a custom stock Lollipop rom for their One?

Quote:
Now question comes how come those "brilliant" dudes at some forum give me a XYZ ROM with in few days the answer is that it is not a complete product work so it is not same as taking AOSP source , Brining up the board , Then tweaking drivers and kernel for most optimal performance under hundreds of scenarios , No power optimization work, No Addtional additional features.
No testing for various certifications such as GCF / PTCRBA or any other local complaisance body and of-course no G CTS.
Yeah. I was never into custom roms myself for the same reason.
Old 21st December 2014, 10:36   #20158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I get less screen on time on Lollipop than I got with Kitkat on my Nexus 5. So much to for the power optimization in Lollipop, one of the headline features of the new version
Old 21st December 2014, 10:58   #20159
BHPian

After updating my Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 lots of apps have stopped working. Even whatsapp, skype, google play have stoped working. Tried re installing whatsapp but am getting an error code "-504". :(. Has anyone else faced similar problem and has a solution to it.

Regards
Kiran
Old 21st December 2014, 11:21   #20160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
After updating my Nexus 4 to 5.0.1 lots of apps have stopped working. Even whatsapp, skype, google play have stoped working. Tried re installing whatsapp but am getting an error code "-504". :(. Has anyone else faced similar problem and has a solution to it.
My nexus 4 is working fine with the 5.0.1 update. You need to update the apps, as some of them have released updates for compatibility issues of lollipop. If it is not getting notified on your status bar, you can manually open google play and look for updates to the apps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks