Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 07:54   #20626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
How's the performance of the Moto G (2014) after officially upgrading to Lollipop? Is it stable? Are there any bugs which I should be worried about?

Will update Mom's phone based the feedback I get here.
TIA
Wait for 5.1 update. 5.0.2 has made it awfully slow. Response time has gone down. I'll be updating my parent's phones later as I fear they'll have issues with the phone slowing.
Old 6th February 2015, 10:44   #20627
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
There is a step by step in Cyanongenmod's wiki. I hope you already checked that out.
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Instal...r_mondrianwifi

There is no one click installer type solution.
I've checked that link already and found that process too complicated. That process also involves installation of CWM or TWRP. While they can be only installed if the Tab is rooted, I wanted to find out a much simpler way because if one click installer can do it without any hassle, then there should be some way. May not be totally automated but still simple enough to do the needful.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2015 at 09:41. Reason: Typos
Old 6th February 2015, 12:28   #20628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Wait for 5.1 update. 5.0.2 has made it awfully slow. Response time has gone down. I'll be updating my parent's phones later as I fear they'll have issues with the phone slowing.
I have decided to wait for 5.1 for my Moto G2.
One reason is that 4.4.4 is performing very well and of course the other is the issues reported about 5.0.2.

Now that Motorola is not part of Google, I am worried about delays in OTA for 5.1
5.0.2 itself took some time to come to India.

I am still not convinced about all the white backgrounds introduced in Android-L against the transparent backgrounds. I hope 5.1 has an option to change this.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:42   #20629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Now that Motorola is not part of Google, I am worried about delays in OTA for 5.1
5.0.2 itself took some time to come to India.
Motorola had a very good reason for delaying the OTA.

The 5.0.2 update released by Google was full of bugs, so Motorola themselves had to fix a lot of them, and that takes time.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:48   #20630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Motorola had a very good reason for delaying the OTA.

The 5.0.2 update released by Google was full of bugs, so Motorola themselves had to fix a lot of them, and that takes time.
If that is the case, then three cheers to Motorola.
That kind of commitment to customers is well appreciated.
Old 6th February 2015, 12:55   #20631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
How's the performance of the Moto G (2014) after officially upgrading to Lollipop? Is it stable? Are there any bugs which I should be worried about?

Will update Mom's phone based the feedback I get here.
TIA
I have a Moto G2 and the Lollipop update has certainly made things better.

There is a noticeable improvement in battery life for me. Response time is same as before but the useful improvements to UIs (like customized silent mode based on priority) are very useful.

Thumbs up for Lollipop!
Old 6th February 2015, 14:06   #20632
BANNED

Lollipop now Shipping for Sprint htc One M7. M8 still not available.

I found that the Sprint htc One M7 OTA for Lollipop is now shipping. Had no notification, so did a check for updates and found it (Ver6.16.151.2). It is 815.56MB. I have just initiated the download. Fingers (and toes) crossed. Will report back when done.
Old 6th February 2015, 15:57   #20633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Lollipop now Shipping for Sprint htc One M7. M8 still not available.

It is 815.56MB. I have just initiated the download. Fingers (and toes) crossed. Will report back when done.
815MB is massive. My sister got an update for Lollipop on her Moto G2. It was only ~ 365 MB.

I didn't check what the number was when I did for the Nexus 5. But can someone help me understand the huge difference in the size of the update between two devices?
Old 6th February 2015, 16:23   #20634
BHPian

I bought Redmi Note 4G in the first lot from Flipkart, and have not received the OTA update to MIUI 6. Anything wrong with my phone? I had rooted , then unrooted it.
Old 6th February 2015, 16:26   #20635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
815MB is massive. My sister got an update for Lollipop on her Moto G2. It was only ~ 365 MB.

I didn't check what the number was when I did for the Nexus 5. But can someone help me understand the huge difference in the size of the update between two devices?

The Moto G, like the Nexus phones runs stock Android.

HTC phones on the other hand, run Sense.

HTC Sense is basically a skin that's made by HTC over the regular Android OS. It contains all sorts of stuff like extra apps, extra animations,widgets,icons, what have you.

Because of all these, the size of the OTA package goes up.

You think this is heavy, check out Samsung's OTAs. Most of them are 1GB+ in size.
Old 6th February 2015, 18:26   #20636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I've checked that link already and found that process too complicated. That process also involves installation of CWM or TWRP, while they can be only installed if the Tab is rooted....
Jumping in mid-conversation, here, not knowing what it is about, but...

CWM or TWRP are worthwhile in themselves. You can, for instance, make an installable backup of your system, as well as, obviously, installing other roms.
Old 6th February 2015, 20:56   #20637
BHPian

Just got the Lenovo A6000 from flipkart. Wasn't expecting much from it considering the price but I'm pleasantly surprised. Good build quality, display, speakers, audio quality (original earphones aren't good though). Fone almost feels too good to be true. The Redmi 1S feels like a brick comapred to this phone. Very nice!
Old 6th February 2015, 21:12   #20638
BANNED

@Thad; I used to regularly root till Gingerbread on my htc One. Why i stopped, modern ROMs come with a lot of in built apps which make rooting not necessary, and the OS update on htc's which are not rooted is very painless. A rooted phone, requires relocking the phone, updating with loss of all data, and then again S-off, root etc. I must say I miss my Titanium even today.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:02   #20639
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't feel the need to root my tab. There is no really intrusive Asus stuff. like the Motorola Defy, which wouldn't even let me change a sim card without logging into their site. Security cover, yes... fine if you want it.

So, it is more a matter of principle: I should be able to access all areas of my own "computer," and I should be able to make full backups, restore, installation, etc, because its mine. In practice, I bought a cheap tab and simply, I'm happy with what it does and the way it does it. Would be nice to have Titanium, etc, though!
Old 6th February 2015, 23:10   #20640
Senior - BHPian

the super fast AT&T finally loaded a 4.4.4 update while the rest of the world is porting Lollipop with absolutely shocking results(Worst battery life on S5. Phones that gave 2-3 days normal use are dying by 6 hours ).

But the 4.4.4 has fixed the finger print issue where one hand operation is now easilly possible and makes finger print an ease to use.

Other than that the rom was bloated so heavily that i had to kill all nonsense apps including the bloated Uber.

I am going to root this and just remove these stock apps for good to free space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks