Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:20   #20701
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Got the MIUI V6 update on my MI3 today. Anyone else got it? Liking the new feel, welcome change from the earlier. Not that I was bored with MIUI v5 but a change is always welcomed in such things. Works smooth without any hiccups up till now.

One interesting thing which I came across is, when I tapped on 'MIUI Version' in 'About Phone' after 2-3 taps on it I got a pop up saying 'You're 3 steps away from becoming a developer'. After tapping 3 times now I get a pop-up 'You're a developer'. There are several developer options, but what is the use apart from that? Getting many other such similar pop-ups on clicking various tabs in About Phone. For eg. Tapping on Kernel Version shows 'You're 3 steps away from entering CIT'.

Anyone else updated?

-Bhargav
Old 16th February 2015, 17:23   #20702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Got the MIUI V6 update on my MI3 today. Anyone else got it? Liking the new feel, welcome change from the earlier. Not that I was bored with MIUI v5 but a change is always welcomed in such things. Works smooth without any hiccups up till now.
-Bhargav
Eagerly awaiting one for my Redmi 1S too, but as per reports, it seems that it'd come to my device only by March, this year.
Old 16th February 2015, 18:59   #20703
BHPian

Hi Guys, I just need some help. I am looking for a 3G, calling Tablet, 7 inch and above in the price range of 8,000-12,000. I will primarily be using it for communication, i.e whatsapp, viber, fb messenger, Fb etc.

Some of the brands I have been looking into are Asus, HP, Dell, Lenovo. I am very confused about the processors, like Intel Atom, Dual core or quad core etc. I will be heavily using the tab so battery life is very important. And I might be using all of the above mentioned apps at once so I need a tab that will not lag.

Any advice from users will be greatly appreciated. Thanking you all in advance.
Old 16th February 2015, 20:14   #20704
Senior - BHPian

I use 'Play Music' on my Nexus 4 to listen to music however the volume of most of the songs is way too low. Is this a known issue to Android or to Nexus 4?

I was planning to spend ~2k on headphones purely for listening to music but if this issue isn't resolved then it'd be a waste of money.

EDIT: I'm running Lollipop.

Last edited by fine69 : 16th February 2015 at 20:17.
Old 16th February 2015, 20:57   #20705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I hope its not too late...
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
nothing from HTC in that price range is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Desire 526G also has smaller and inferior screen as compared to Moto G2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Friends don't let friends commit Harakiri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Don't buy Samsung S3 neo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
As soon as I hear Samsung, it's a big no for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Moto G second Gen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Singh View Post
I have been using Redmi 1S...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
It's slightly above your budget at 13k...
Thank you all so much for all your valuable suggestions. Moto G wasn't available by today (lost phone needs almost instant replacement!) at any shop, so we finally picked up a Sony again after all the research! Now among all the requirements, the only aspect that took a back seat was the budget. It's an Xperia C3 Dual, for 18k, thanks to a friend at the Sony Centre in Gurgaon. My daughter is especially happy with the front camera also having a flash, for all those critical selfies - and that one can double tap the back of the phone to click!
Old 17th February 2015, 23:01   #20706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRK View Post
Pl ping me if you happen to upgrade 5.0
There was some issue with unrooting, hence did not get the OTA update. Followed this video

and unrooted it. Got immediate notification for MIUI V6 update. Phone updating presently
Old 17th February 2015, 23:38   #20707
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my son wants a smart phone for his 15th birthday which is just nine days away! It is a toss between the Huawei Honor Holly (Rs 7k) and the Moto E (Rs 6k). Suggestions will be appreciated!
Old 17th February 2015, 23:47   #20708
BHPian

honor holly is a fantastic package if he is ok with a weak rear camera, and flash with a green tinge. Rest of the hardware is very good, more powerful and bigger than moto e, complete paisa vasool.
Old 18th February 2015, 00:35   #20709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, my son wants a smart phone for his 15th birthday which is just nine days away! It is a toss between the Huawei Honor Holly (Rs 7k) and the Moto E (Rs 6k). Suggestions will be appreciated!
Gansan sir,

Please get him the Redmi1S.

The MotoE is an outstanding phone with excellent battery life but has non-existent camera. Otherwise an excellent VFM phone.

Redmi1S is a bit snappier and has more battery drain but much nicer camera and all the other farkles of MIUI. I'd even recommend the Redmi Note 4G if you can extend till 10k. Its an excellent phone - couple of friends have it and can't recommend it enough.

Holly I don't know - haven't used.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:34   #20710
BHPian

Quote:

One interesting thing which I came across is, when I tapped on 'MIUI Version' in 'About Phone' after 2-3 taps on it I got a pop up saying 'You're 3 steps away from becoming a developer'. After tapping 3 times now I get a pop-up 'You're a developer'. There are several developer options, but what is the use apart from that? Getting many other such similar pop-ups on clicking various tabs in About Phone. For eg. Tapping on Kernel Version shows 'You're 3 steps away from entering CIT'.

Anyone else updated?

-Bhargav
Developer options are mostly for android developers to test/debug apps or for someone who likes to tinker with their phones. There are options to change animation speeds or disable them. So it might come in handy for regular users also.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:58   #20711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Singh View Post
Eagerly awaiting one for my Redmi 1S too, but as per reports, it seems that it'd come to my device only by March, this year.
I doubt very much about the availability of either lollipop or MIUI 6 for Redmi 1S. But if you're interested, you may try Custom Rom- Rise OS by Ashish. Though based on kitkat, will give good experience of MI 6 User Interface.

Quote:

Anyone else updated?

-Bhargav
Yes. There are lot of options in MIUI6. Mostly developer related. But one good option is, by tapping kernel version 5 times, it may allow you to test various hardware Components of the instrument and calibrate components like GPS, battery, touch screen, etc.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th February 2015 at 10:25. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 18th February 2015, 10:14   #20712
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Akhilash and Phamilyman.

Will the Moto stand out with regard to durability compared to the other two? I read it has gorilla glass and is built tough. The phone may come in to some rough handling, considering his age.
Old 18th February 2015, 10:30   #20713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Gansan sir,

Please get him the Redmi1S.

The MotoE is an outstanding phone with excellent battery life but has non-existent camera. Otherwise an excellent VFM phone.

Redmi1S is a bit snappier and has more battery drain but much nicer camera and all the other farkles of MIUI. I'd even recommend the Redmi Note 4G if you can extend till 10k. Its an excellent phone - couple of friends have it and can't recommend it enough.

Holly I don't know - haven't used.
No offence, but a smartphone for a 15 year old is overkill, unless s/he buys it with their own hard earned money (or saved pocked money).
Old 18th February 2015, 10:46   #20714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
No offence, but a smartphone for a 15 year old is overkill, unless s/he buys it with their own hard earned money (or saved pocket money).
I agree! But he has been asking for it for the past one year! It is also peer pressure, you know!

It is partly saved pocket money, partly money saved on his birthday celebration (he wants no new dress, no treat and will contribute money given by his grand parents on b day towards this buy!).
Old 18th February 2015, 12:06   #20715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
You may also consider Windows phones since they generally offer better specs at the entry level price range compared to Android phones.

Within Android ecosystem, you may also consider Android One and Lenovo A6000.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks