Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 09:50   #21676
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

sgiitk - How was your experience with the HTC One ? I want to pick up the HTC One M9.
Old 9th August 2015, 09:55   #21677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
sgiitk - How was your experience with the HTC One ? I want to pick up the HTC One M9.
Very positive, of course the htc One cameras are not the greatest! Build quality, etc, are superb.
Old 9th August 2015, 17:04   #21678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you to rethink about HTC after my experience with the M7. The camera has let down big time with the pink tint issue and the display has also started acting funny missing few touch points in the centre of the screen. The worst part is their service and the company really doesn't care. I have opted for the Asus Zenfone 2 4GB ram, 32 GB storage and 2.3 GHz processor as the replacement @17k which I plan to upgrade every year. Much better than investing 40 k in the HTC.
Old 9th August 2015, 17:57   #21679
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up the nexus 6 via the flipkart ' app only' freedom sale. It had been listed at 34999. As part of the sale, they had a straight 5000 discount. In addition , there was a buy back offer with which I got 5000 for my nexus 4 and an additional 10% discount with SBI cards. So my effective price was 23K which I felt was a very good deal for a phone that was selling at 40k + 2-3 months back. Understand that the phone has not been a big success due to the big size, but that was what I was looking for.
Old 9th August 2015, 20:04   #21680
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Picked up the nexus 6 via the flipkart ' app only' freedom sale. It had been listed at 34999. As part of the sale, they had a straight 5000 discount. In addition , there was a buy back offer with which I got 5000 for my nexus 4 and an additional 10% discount with SBI cards. So my effective price was 23K which I felt was a very good deal for a phone that was selling at 40k + 2-3 months back. Understand that the phone has not been a big success due to the big size, but that was what I was looking for.
The only downside of this phone is that it will not support Airtel LTE bands though Reliance is expected to roll out 4G in supported bands.
Old 9th August 2015, 20:57   #21681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends. I'd have recommended the earlier ones in a heartbeat. I've seen my friends with the One for a couple of years, and except for cropping, it was THE party/bar phone in the office. Nothing came close in low light. But in the M9, they dropped OIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would advise you to rethink about HTC after my experience with the M7. The camera has let down big time with the pink tint issue and the display has also started acting funny missing few touch points in the centre of the screen. The worst part is their service and the company really doesn't care. I have opted for the Asus Zenfone 2 4GB ram, 32 GB storage and 2.3 GHz processor as the replacement @17k which I plan to upgrade every year. Much better than investing 40 k in the HTC.
True. HTC service is fairly slow but in my chacha times, they got the warranty repair done just fine.

Interesting choice you mention sirjee - if a fairly well to do enthusiast like you is happily moving from big brand flagships to Asus et al, then that truly represents the death knell of big brand Android flagships!
Old 9th August 2015, 21:07   #21682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
The only downside of this phone is that it will not support Airtel LTE bands though Reliance is expected to roll out 4G in supported bands.
Right. That is a big downside. Ok for me for now because I am on Vodafone and pretty ok with 3G for the usage I have. Also have a Airtel 4G Hotspot device.

Read that Vodafone will also roll out 4G by end of year or early next year. Hope they roll out in supported bands.
Old 9th August 2015, 21:38   #21683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nothing came close in low light.

happily moving from big brand flagships to Asus et al, then that truly represents the death knell of big brand Android flagships!
In fact my experience was just the opposite. And it was not just my phone but at least 4-5 more one's that I had got for my friends and relatives. ALL of them gradually developed the purple tint in low light and were literally useless at night. And the company just looked the other way even after knowing fully well it was a known issue. Just because they developed this problem near the end of their warranty period gives no right to the company to dump them on its customers. But taking them back would have meant a financial disaster. But my faith in them is hugely shaken. I had moved to them from Samsung and it was a big let down.

Now I feel that good technology is being provided by some good upstarts. Though brands like Asus are no where near perfect but many are giving a good overall package at a much more friendly price. And more importantly, now keeping a phone for 2 years is such a passe' and it takes just a few minutes to change devices along with all your data. I see a newer trend emerging...
Old 9th August 2015, 22:55   #21684
BHPian

Friends, Time to upgrade from my Nexus4. Need help from you for identifying a suitable phone. My requirements are 1) same ui as that of Nexus4 ex Apps in ascending order 2) Similiar size 3) Price about 20k
Old 9th August 2015, 23:13   #21685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Friends, Time to upgrade from my Nexus4. Need help from you for identifying a suitable phone. My requirements are 1) same ui as that of Nexus4 ex Apps in ascending order 2) Similiar size 3) Price about 20k
Oneplus One would be ideal upgrade.
Old 9th August 2015, 23:35   #21686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
There are very few phones that would meet all of those requirements as the newer phones don't come in the pocketable size that the Nexus 4 did, the Moto X 2nd gen comes closest to ticking all your boxes.
One Plus One and Zenfone 2 are big phones, also the Moto X has near stock Android i.e. similar UI to the Nexus 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am looking to replace by htc One (CDMA+GSM) M7. My limit is 45k or so. Options for this.
At that price, the best bet at this moment would be the Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge. It's got a great camera and screen with relatively less bloatware compared to other Samsung phones. You could also wait out for the Moto X Style, but the huge size may be a deterrent.

Last edited by Marauder : 9th August 2015 at 23:54.
Old 10th August 2015, 00:55   #21687
BHPian

This article and debate should be interesting read for those planning to shell out huge sum to buy flagships: http://www.xda-developers.com/sunday...ships-die-out/
Old 10th August 2015, 18:54   #21688
Senior - BHPian

Got the new Zenfone 2, Gold, LTE, 2.3 GHz, 4GB, 32 GB EMMC, 5.5", 5MP/13MP in hand.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_1.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_2.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_3.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_4.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_5.jpg

Great feel in hand for now...
Old 10th August 2015, 19:39   #21689
Senior - BHPian

First Made in India Xiaomi Phone, Redmi 2 Prime launched in India @6,999 INR - http://en.miui.com/thread-142850-1-1.html
  • 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Flash, 8MP f/2.2 Rear Camera, 4.7 Inch IPS HD Display, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Flash, 8 MP rear cam, 4.7 inch, 4G Dual SIM, Snapdragon 410 64-bit - Rs 6999 - Rs 6999
  • Available on Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, Mi.com/in

Available for Rs 5949.15 if you purchase from Amazon app and pay using HDFC card
Old 11th August 2015, 08:35   #21690
Senior - BHPian

1 day experience with the Asus Zenfone 2 -

First the cons -
1. The screen though very good by a 17k phone standard does not match to the HTC One or the SMOLED's of the Samsung. It's brightness is a little less though the color gradients can be adjusted. Few shots -

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_7.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenfone-2-10082015_8.jpg

2. The camera too is quite good but still not as good as the HTC One's (before the pink tint issue). But color saturation is better.
3. Plastic body compared to the all aluminum of the HTC One M7.
4. Lots of Asus apps. And by lots I mean lots.
5. Still on android 5.0. A flagship should be on the latest version.

Pros -
1. I was most afraid of the battery life and that is quite decent in fact, especially after taking the new update it has increased quite a bit -

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150810195848.jpg

So take the update immediately. Incidentally the update failed on wifi continuously but went through in first attempt through the mobile data. Still I have ordered the Asus Power Bank for my long trips.
2. Great metallic feel back cover and soft golden hue color. Great build quality.
3. Camera with HDR is pretty decent though not top of the line.
4. Fast charging really works. In 5 minutes it can give you a couple of hours backup.
5. Lag free and very fast even after so many crappy apps. the 2.3 Ghz processor and 4 GB of RAM really works. Some Asus apps are pretty decent in fact.
6. 3G speeds are pretty decent for Meerut (UP-W circle) on Airtel.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150810175302.jpg

Initial verdict - For a flagship of a company it still needs to go some miles compared to HTC and Samsung. But for the 17k price tag (in fact I can buy 3 for the price of a S6) I will take this any day over those over priced phones. It does 100% of what those flagships do and then some more. Where it lags just slightly in the body and the screen can easily be overlooked. Fantastic piece of hardware. Recommended as one of the best value for money flagship offerings in the market today.

Last edited by dkaile : 11th August 2015 at 08:45.

Most Viewed