Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 18:01   #21856
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
USB cable has 4 wires in it, Data +, Data -, Power +, Power -. As per specs, Data wires can be 28AWG and Power wires must be 24AWG. Cheap cables have all 4 wires in 28AWG to save on costs and hence the wires are current limited to 500mA only. Proper USB cables with 24AWG power wires will enable 2A charging if the phone and cable support it.

Look for these markings when buying a USB cable. Only these cables support 2A charging.
Thanks a lot for this very useful information. I just checked an USB extension cable I recently bought which has got 20/26 AWG ratings. I use this cable for attaching USB drive on my computer. Other cable I bought earlier didn't work at all.

Then there is another charger+USB cable which has got rating of 28/24 AWG rating. Its also working fine with the phones I have attached with it so far.

Now please also tell how to get proper USB 3.0 cable? Or USB 2.0 cable will work with USB 3.0?
Old 21st September 2015, 22:59   #21857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
<Quote Snipped>

Very true. Cheap cables can do only 500mA.

USB cable has 4 wires in it, Data +, Data -, Power +, Power -. As per specs, Data wires can be 28AWG and Power wires must be 24AWG. Cheap cables have all 4 wires in 28AWG to save on costs and hence the wires are current limited to 500mA only. Proper USB cables with 24AWG power wires will enable 2A charging if the phone and cable support it.

For the guys interested in QC 2.0, the cables need power lines having 20AWG wires.

Fantastic information! All new to me.

Thank you very much SunnyBoi.

I'm willing to bet that none of my PC-device cables will do, and I wouldn't be surprised if my portable-device cables don't rate highly either.

This is my karma for telling all the hifi people that their data-cable concerns are all rubbish! Now I have a real USB-cable worry!
Old 21st September 2015, 23:24   #21858
BHPian

Guys , information on the Quick Charge 2.0 found on the Qualcomm Faq Section.
Does it matter what type of charging cable is used with a Quick Charge 2.0 adapter?

A: Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to be connector-independent. Quick Charge 2.0 can be implemented with a variety of formats, including USB Type-A, USB micro, USB Type-C, and other proprietary connectors.
Quick Charge 2.0 high-voltage operation is designed to minimize charging issues associated with long or thin cables, allowing for a superior charging experience, independent of cable type.

Link: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ick-charge/faq
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:24   #21859
Distinguished - BHPian

The aukey chargers seem to come with an included 20AWG cable.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:01   #21860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the guys interested in QC 2.0, the cables need power lines having 20AWG wires.

Attachment 1417695
Thank you SunnyBoi for this invaluable information. I recently have a aukey charging station on its way and did not really give that importance to cables. I thought Oneplus was wierd and that it really liked its own cable (or the one from mi power bank) until I saw the information from your post. Now it makes sense.

I am thinking of getting these now - http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Assorted...pack+micro+usb

Edit: also found on aliexpress but at a higher cost.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aukey...74_75,201409_5

govigov

Last edited by govigov : 22nd September 2015 at 09:21.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:16   #21861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Now please also tell how to get proper USB 3.0 cable? Or USB 2.0 cable will work with USB 3.0?
I'm not sure on USB 3.0 cables, I just bought a USB 3.0 extension cable for my USB 3.0 from the same source where I bought the micro USB Cables.

USB 2.0 cable will work with a USB 3.0 device however the speed will drop down to USB 2.0 levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I am thinking of getting these now - http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Assorted...pack+micro+usb

Edit: also found on aliexpress but at a higher cost.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aukey...74_75,201409_5
Ask your friend if he has a colleague/friend with Amazon prime account, you can get it with 2 day shipping, it will reach you before the weekend. Ordering from Amazon USA is safer than getting from Aliexpress IMHO. Plus you'd get the cables almost immediately instead of waiting for few weeks for the package from China to show up.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:45   #21862
Distinguished - BHPian

Tronsmart 3 port wall charger review

Bought this off Aliexpress for 15$ and using it since a week. Since i am happy with the product i thought of sharing a short review . This wall charger comes with 3 Ports - 2 Volt IQ ports and 1 Qualcomm certified Quick charger port.The Volt IQ ports are to be used with phones that support normal charging cycles. These ports output the max power rating the drawing device can take and supply the same . The Quick charger port works with phones that support quick charge feature which basically pumps in 18W of power to rapidly charge the phone. If a non quick charge support phone is plugged into this port then it will act as Volt IQ port(The other two ports).

Now since we do not have any of the Quick charge phones at home i used it to charge the normal phones and collected the below charge times. Note, all phones were having charge less than 5% when they were plugged in and were charged to 100% . 24 AWG charging cable was used

Nexus 4 - 1 Hour 5 mins
Samsung Galaxy Duos - 1 Hour 10 mins
Redmi 1S - 55 mins
Moto G 2nd Gen - 1 Hour

This charger is a helpful when you are in a hurry and need to top up your phone

There are multiple brands of Quick chargers available - Aukey, Tronsmart, Blitzwolf etc. All of them have the same internals except for few cosmetic changes but prices vary based on the brand.

Pic courtesy: Google

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-tronsmart3portquickcharge2wallcharger5.jpg
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:45   #21863
BHPian

Hi, is there any way to get a moto X pure edition shipped to India from the US? Has anyone tried any parcel forwarding services?
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:53   #21864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Hi, is there any way to get a moto X pure edition shipped to India from the US? Has anyone tried any parcel forwarding services?
Why do you want to get it from US when its soon going to be launched in India also?
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:59   #21865
BHPian

I agree, the Moto X will be launched in India very soon. Buying it in India will give you the peace of mind of a valid warranty as well.
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:52   #21866
BANNED

I have been advised by dhiraj and hetal (I am sure aficionados know who they are) to look for Moto X Play and/or Asus Zenfone 2. If Moto X Pure is coming then I might as well wait a few weeks and include that in my list.

Also, which of the two will you prefer. I have a Sprint htc One m7, CDMA/GSM which I am not using on CDMA at all having quit RCom. It is 2-1/2 years old and has the network has to be changed manually every time you cross into another area. Otherwise it is still good. Remember that this has a dual core (not four core) CPU.
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:52   #21867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have been advised by dhiraj and hetal (I am sure aficionados know who they are) to look for Moto X Play and/or Asus Zenfone 2.
If you are really interested in something like Moto X then do not even think about the 'Play' edition unless you are keen on only battery life. Its a handicapped MotoX with few stripped down features. Either wait for the upcoming 'Style' or get the Moto X 2014 which is still a gem of a phone, rather single core speed of 2.5 ghz, smaller and slimmer form and more practical FHD resolution is advantage over the 2015 series. If you are ok with bigger size then get the 'Style'. 'Play' is only in contest if you are considering something like Zenphone and also want dual sim capabilities.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 22nd September 2015 at 22:56.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:30   #21868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you are really interested in something like Moto X then do not even think about the 'Play' edition unless you are keen on only battery life. Its a handicapped MotoX with few stripped down features. Either wait for the upcoming 'Style' or get the Moto X 2014 which is still a gem of a phone, rather single core speed of 2.5 ghz, smaller and slimmer form and more practical FHD resolution is advantage over the 2015 series. If you are ok with bigger size then get the 'Style'. 'Play' is only in contest if you are considering something like Zenphone and also want dual sim capabilities.
Contrary to what our fellow here says, I opine that the Moto X play is still a brilliant smartphone, especially at the price Motorola are offering it at. I feel our friend has been a bit to harsh on the Play, and just because they've priced it low doesn't mean it would be down on quality like many other phones in that price range.

I agree, it's running a Snapdragon 615, but it's still 64-bit and it doesn't overheat in that phone. So that's not a problem. And for regular users who are not into particularly heavy gaming, the SD615 and 2 gigs of RAM paired with clean stock Android should be more than enough for any media or multitasking thrown at it.
Apart from that, it's a very well built phone with stock Android 5.1.1, the full moto X feature set, an above par and bright 1080p screen, an excellent (for the price) 21 MP sensor from Sony, and very long battery life. It also gets expandable storage. In essence, it has three main things necessary for full time smartphone usage covered - good build, a well designed and fluid interface, and excellent battery life.

In comparison, the Moto X 2014 has a wonderful AMOLED 1080p screen, superior SD801 and leather/wood back options, but the 13 MP camera is below par for the premium segment and the battery life is just about average as well. It doesn't have expandable storage either, so users are stuck with whatever fraction of upto 32 GB the phone has. But leaving the camera and battery life, it is an excellent device overall, and the choice is a tough one.

The Zenfone 2 on the other hand has lots of sheer processing power and a whopping 4 gigs of RAM, but the main drawback is that the proprietary interface, ZenUI, is horribly designed and bloated too heavily, and doesn't give anywhere near an Android experience as good and no-nonsense as the X. The so-called software 'features' in such third-party Android skins are also usually gimmicks, and only eat up memory. It's construction is also all shiny plastic, which is not as good as the moto x play. The button positioning is really awkward too. For anyone apart from heavy gamers or multitaskers, that phone is not recommended ahead of the Moto X play or 2014 edition at that price.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:35   #21869
BHPian

Moto x play has no gyroscope , so no photosphere for it's 21 mp camera . Also many games require the gyroscope to be present for a better gaming experience .
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:02   #21870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Moto x play has no gyroscope , so no photosphere for it's 21 mp camera . Also many games require the gyroscope to be present for a better gaming experience .
I was a bit surprised to hear that, though a gyro isn't quite an accelerometer, and I read online about it. Apparently the sensor hardware is actually in there, but the firmware doesn't seem to support it by default due to some software issue. According to Motorola, it might come in some future update.

Last edited by mukul32 : 23rd September 2015 at 01:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks