Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 22:32   #2176
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
How many times you would be doing it everyday ?
Buy a phone for its features, price, and value for money aspect. Don't go for these silly marketing gimmicks. And i have heard that some water does get in through this phone, its not 100% water proof either.
Well i like Motoblur better than the TouchWiz UI, although both have been derided by enthusiasts widely. The Defy seems better integrated with social networks as well. I like that Favorites feature on the contact menu. The widgets on the Defy seem more interesting than on the ones that come with the Ace. The Defy has a 3.7" screen, so thats another plus for me. I want as much screen real estate as i can get for the price. Battery life seems better on the Defy than on the Ace. So no, im not going for "silly marketing gimicks" as you put it. Its always nice to have a rugged phone, especially more so in an environment like India. During monsoon time (i ride a bike), the water resistance will be helpful. Plus come on, you'll be the hit of the party when u show off what the Defy can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I was also in the same situation. I'm in love with the Defy, but its about 18.5k, which was over my 15k budget. If you have the money go for it. The only concerning point would be when will the defy get the 2.2 update?

One more thing to note about the ACE is that there is no flash support, even though it runs 2.2. The only option is skyfire.
The Defy was spotted at MWC with a 2.2 build. Its already been released in the US for Defy users on T-mobile, so it should be rolling out in the rest of the world soon. So im not worried about 2.2 at all.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:34   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I was also in the same situation. I'm in love with the Defy, but its about 18.5k, which was over my 15k budget. If you have the money go for it. The only concerning point would be when will the defy get the 2.2 update?

One more thing to note about the ACE is that there is no flash support, even though it runs 2.2. The only option is skyfire.
im going to mossy on down to National Market in Bangalore one of these days and see what i can snag the Defy for. I want to get rid of my E72 because its having some problems and i want to get off of Nokia once and for all.
Old 7th March 2011, 09:50   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Got an update on the SE Xperia x10i yesterday which allows zooming in/out on web pages and photos with a pinching movement like iPhones. Nice.
Old 7th March 2011, 09:59   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Got an update on the SE Xperia x10i yesterday which allows zooming in/out on web pages and photos with a pinching movement like iPhones. Nice.
Is it so, i did not noticed yet and i do have the latest firmware update in my X10i, could you please share the firmware, mine is 2.1-update1
Old 7th March 2011, 10:03   #2180
BHPian

I got the OTA update for Ginger bread 2.3.3 on my nexus one.

The upgrade is fruitful. Nice new look and improved battery life.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
Old 7th March 2011, 11:26   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Thats the price of the galaxy S,specify galaxy A-C-E
Do you mean 380$ is the price of Galaxy S? My friend even sent me a link specifying 380$ for galaxy ace
Old 7th March 2011, 11:48   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
...mine is 2.1-update1
That's what I have too. It was an update through SE, not related to the Android OS as far as I understand. Took a long time though.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:13   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
I got the OTA update for Ginger bread 2.3.3 on my nexus one.
The upgrade is fruitful. Nice new look and improved battery life.
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
Hope the 2.3 update will improve battery life in my desire too. HTC is yet to come up with the update, but they said they will.

My last charge was done up to only 86% and it lasted 32 hours (till the battery came down to 5%) Lesson learned - no more fancy widgets, no flashy launchers.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:18   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Is it so, i did not noticed yet and i do have the latest firmware update in my X10i, could you please share the firmware, mine is 2.1-update1
Quote:
That's what I have too. It was an update through SE, not related to the Android OS as far as I understand. Took a long time though.
Even I am running 2.1, but pinch doesnt work. How and where did you upgrade? Did you get this feature by updating from 1.6 to 2.1 or a mini update on 2.1?
Old 7th March 2011, 16:51   #2185
BHPian

For those willing to strech their budget I would suggest the Samsung Galaxy S Super LCD version that available on FlipKart . Its a 4GB version nice and bright big display ofcourse 5mp camera with no flash . BUt its got a stronger processor that its predecessor , that AMOLED version . But this one comes with a 4GB memory and a SD card slot . and 478 MB Ram .
Old 7th March 2011, 18:31   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Do you mean 380$ is the price of Galaxy S? My friend even sent me a link specifying 380$ for galaxy ace
Two points about this.
1. US is not an open sale market it rules on operator subsidies so open market models are costlier.

2. Usually models are market specific , Models targeted towards Asian markets will be cheaper in India. So you will find ACE and other lower priced Galaxy variants cheaper here.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:44   #2187
BHPian

Re: LG Optimus 2X?

Has anyone seen LG Optimus 2X(Dual-core 1GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor, ULP GeForce GPU, Tegra 2 chipset) in b'lore? Heard it is available in national market.
Old 7th March 2011, 23:16   #2188
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Anyone using the DELL STREAK, Please share some suggestions about the same. How is the phone? Planing to buy 1 soon.

Thanks...
Old 8th March 2011, 11:19   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Android market hit with malware, refer the link for list of app, The Official Lookout Blog | Update: Security Alert: DroidDream Malware Found in Official Android Market
Old 8th March 2011, 23:58   #2190
BHPian

My father would like to upgrade from his Motorola Q9 Pro and is seeking suggestions. He would like something in the 20K to 30K range and would like to purchase his phone within the next month. He likes the touch interface on his third generation iPod touch and wants a similar experience on his phone. His other requirements are:
1) Vibrant and large screen
2) Ability to configure multiple push email addresses
3) Good video playback for when he wants to watch a movie when travelling
4) Access to a couple of applications such as golf rules, flight tracker, note taker, etc.
5) GPS which lets him use navigation
6) A robust contact manager
7) A fast stable and easy to use OS

Based on the above, I think an Android device is a good bet however I am confused on what phone to recommend. I want to relatively future proof his phone since he typically keeps his phone for 2 to 3 years.

Amongst all the Android phones, I think that HTC's Sense UI is the easiest to use. However, their latest round of hardware (Desire S & Incredible S) is lacking - Specifically the processor (No Dual Core!) and no AMOLED (Only S-LCD).

The new Sony Ericsson Arc is extremely appealing hardware wise but I have heard that Timescape is buggy and tends to lag.

Motorola & Samsung have launched some impressive new hardware as well in the Atrix & the Galaxy II, but I believe that both are very slow in implementing OS updates.

I do not have much experience with LG so left it out of the decision mix for now.

My question is - Will HTC be launching dual core phones anytime soon? If not, what is a good phone that you would recommend keeping the requirements in mind?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks