Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 20:57   #22141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Yes, the process to switch and activate the sim with Airtel is very quick.

The new sims come with the three sizes pre cut, intact I had to insert the nano back in to the plastic to arrive at the micro that my phone accepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
It is just Rs.50 for a new nano-sim from my carrier Aircel. I have already got the new sim with me and was told that after getting my new phone, it will take only around 10 minutes to get this new one activated.
Old 26th October 2015, 14:20   #22142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Cutting the SIM may result in crude edges or damage the SIM completely. Getting a replacement Nano SIM is a relatively easier process from customer service centres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Yes, best to get a new nano SIM. Don't cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Depends on your adeptness at cutting only the borders while retaining the chip. My sim on Iphone 6 is working fine. I cut the borders and retained the chip.
Guys, I am in Gurgaon (NCR-Delhi) and my mobile is UP(E), so if the SIM is damaged I am in serious trouble. Now I will have to think!! Thanks for the advice / warnings. Also, does Voda have these three in one SIMs?
Old 26th October 2015, 16:36   #22143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Guys, I am in Gurgaon (NCR-Delhi) and my mobile is UP(E), so if the SIM is damaged I am in serious trouble. Now I will have to think!! Thanks for the advice / warnings. Also, does Voda have these three in one SIMs?
Sir,

You have regional HQ - go there if you have any doubts.

i have managed to get for new Airtel Delhi SIM, right in Chennai. I understand same is true for Vodafone though they are the most unhelpful bunch. Worst case Voda needs a trip to Okhla: http://www.vodafone.in/help-support/...-offices-delhi

Go to any nice shop in Galleria or Sector 56. They will cut it just fine for you - they do it all the time. Don't worry!
Old 26th October 2015, 17:00   #22144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Cutting the SIM may result in crude edges or damage the SIM completely. Getting a replacement Nano SIM is a relatively easier process from customer service centres.
I had monster 256KB SIMs from BSNL which I had chopped to micro SIMs and been using for a few years now. Inspired by recent posts, I finally got new micro SIMs from BSNL and they cost me 20rs each! They were activated in 15 minutes of the SIMs being issued.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151026_164916001.jpg

I had to shave off a bit of the gold contacts on both sides to make the SIM fit. They didn't affect the performance though.
Old 26th October 2015, 18:04   #22145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You have regional HQ - go there if you have any doubts.

i have managed to get for new Airtel Delhi SIM, right in Chennai. I understand same is true for Vodafone though they are the most unhelpful bunch. Worst case Voda needs a trip to Okhla: http://www.vodafone.in/help-support/...-offices-delhi

Go to any nice shop in Galleria or Sector 56. They will cut it just fine for you - they do it all the time. Don't worry!
Fine, you give me hope. Thanks for the information. I am in Sector 54, but I think Galleria is not that far. My Style has reached Delhi this morning. So I expect it in a day or two. Thanks for giving me hope. My Bank accounts etc are linked to my number!

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th October 2015 at 18:07.
Old 26th October 2015, 18:54   #22146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Fine, you give me hope. Thanks for the information. I am in Sector 54, but I think Galleria is not that far. My Style has reached Delhi this morning. So I expect it in a day or two. Thanks for giving me hope. My Bank accounts etc are linked to my number!
Why don't you do it in reverse? call vodafone right now. Tell them your SIM is damaged - ask them where you need to go. That way you will realize the worst case scenario upfront.

I'm saying this only because I know airtel is awesome and vodafone are the biggest anti-customer-service entity I am aware of. Helps to be prepared. With Airtel, I can vouch for their awesomeness!
Old 26th October 2015, 19:24   #22147
Distinguished - BHPian

Was among the first to acquire the Xperia Z5 the day it was released 4 days back. First impressions well its a Sony, nothing can describe it better. Its a 23mp camera (4:3 ratio) whereas it can shoot 16:9 in 20mp. Its waterproof/dust resistant, this time with USB port open. The battery runs about 2 days before needing a charge (has been charged once so far). The camera claims to have an autofocus time of 0.03 seconds, while I don't know if its that quick it did manage to capture sharp, focussed images with a quick random click. It excels specially in low-light with the Exmor RS sensor.

The build though is ultra-premium, I'm betting no phone can come close to the Z5 in terms of the solidity and appearance. It has a frosted glass back (non-slippery), and slightly rubbery feeling corners (nylon) with the rest being metal. The finger-print reader is pretty effective though I wish the power button was raised up a bit more. It is called black variant but it has a very good looking greyish-beige finish against light.
Old 26th October 2015, 21:42   #22148
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me choose between Moto G3 and Lenovo K3 Note?

Latter looks better in terms of specs. I have already read the (obvious) differences from online info (CPU, screen size, resolution, gorilla glass etc). Appreciate first hand experience and after sales comments, if any.

thanks in advance,
-BJ
Old 27th October 2015, 12:05   #22149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Latter looks better in terms of specs. I have already read the (obvious) differences from online info (CPU, screen size, resolution, gorilla glass etc). Appreciate first hand experience and after sales comments, if any.

thanks in advance,
-BJ
Specs on paper sometimes don't necessarily mean everything, I had a moto g first gen for around 1.5 years, from personal experience, it was blazing fast with the exception of a bad camera but that never bothered me much. Seeing how good Motorola has made the third gen this time. I suggest you pick it up without second thoughts, it's hardware satisfies the average user more than enough and I'll go to some extent and say that even a power user won't find a problem with it if he gets it rooted and flashed but judging by its stock performance, you shouldn't find any problems mate :-). After-sales is a hit or a miss with Motorola depending on your location, even then, you're not guaranteed anything. I've had a friend who got fantastic support for his Oppo smartphone as opposed to another friend who got ripped off by Samsung to fix a simple touchscreen issue. Hope this helps!
Old 27th October 2015, 12:45   #22150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

thanks in advance,
-BJ
Both made by same company but the g3 has no bloat and is running near stock Android so should snappier
Old 27th October 2015, 12:57   #22151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why don't you do it in reverse? call vodafone right now. Tell them your SIM is damaged - ask them where you need to go. That way you will realize the worst case scenario upfront.
In UP(E) Hutch and Usha were the first and Usha fell by the wayside. Also, Voda (formerly) Hutch are the biggest. So I naturally switched from BSNL (my wife) and Reliance to Voda. Also, the Airtel office was in a remote place.
Old 28th October 2015, 10:58   #22152
BHPian

So this is really shatterproof? If so then its really cool:

Old 28th October 2015, 17:48   #22153
BANNED

My MotoX Style arrived yesterday. My son managed to migrate very easily. Now I may ge the SIM cut today and then hope things are fine.
Old 28th October 2015, 19:49   #22154
Senior - BHPian

Received the aukey charging cables today.

Here is a pic of the box and the white cables next to the aukey charging station.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151028_172622.jpg
Old 28th October 2015, 22:35   #22155
BHPian

Shatterproof Motorola Droid Turbo 2 : Some more brute tests, looks promising:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks