Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 09:05   #22201
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Moto X Style is on the list for Marshmallow. I am always suspicious about anything x.0 and even x.0.0 as there are bound to some bugs, known and unknown. I will await the Marshmallow on the Moto with the dirtier bugs removed!!
Old 1st November 2015, 09:20   #22202
Senior - BHPian

Just saw experimental 6.0 ROMs have started to flow for the Oneplus One. Can't wait to switch over to Marshmallow soon!
Old 1st November 2015, 09:50   #22203
Senior - BHPian

Though HTC Desire 816 is also on the list of Android 6.0 update list but there is no particular time frame mentioned.

Any idea about the Marshmallow rollout on the Desire 816?
Old 1st November 2015, 10:02   #22204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Once a Sony, always a Sony is what I feel.. even with all its minor flaws. Instead of Z3, M5 is the far better phone in almost every way be it weight, durability, cameras or processor (atleast on paper). It might come to that price in a couple of months or so. Always buying the latest model is preferable as the company would iron out the problems of the previous generation.
Thanks dark.knight. And I agree, the M5 is an outstanding phone for the price with a great design, pair of fast cameras and waterproofing. But the problem is, it uses a Mediatek chip inside. I'm big on custom ROM's and Mediatek just isn't anywhere as custom-ROM friendly as Qualcomm. Just see the MTK flash tool, that is the standard flashing tool for Mediatek devices. It's a pain in the backside to use. And neither do I expect the M5 to be anywhere as popular as the Z3, so good ROM support cannot be guaranteed. (Thanks to our Indian mentality, people keep buying Samsung's and other crap for the same or more money. In the US, where a lot of the custom development comes from, they have Meizus and Huaweis and Onepluses in crazy numbers so they are spoilt for choice.)
Anyway, I believe it's a brilliant midranger that's however priced slightly too high by Sony. The exact same money buys you a Moto X Style, with Quad HD, Snapdragon 808, a great 21 MP camera and stock Android.
Old 1st November 2015, 15:30   #22205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Just see the MTK flash tool, that is the standard flashing tool for Mediatek devices. It's a pain in the backside to use.
Lol, I'll be very frank, I've absolutely no idea what MTK is or what flashing is.. yes to an extent I understand that flashing is used to update/modify Android over and above stock priviledges. Personally I have never modified the OS in any way, if I get a message OTA that a new update is available I just press on OK thats about it.

Maybe I'm one of the few people who just has an Android for basic communication i.e SMS, calls and once in a bluemoon, Whatsapp. I do use the camera functionality other than that I've disabled just about every option on the phone, be it location, some bandwidth & processor hogs like FB, Cloud & other bloatware like Youtube, Maps, Editors, Gmail etc also uninstalled all of the removable Xperia apps. I've found that this increases the speed substantially & I'm getting close to 4 days on battery. I still miss my Nokia N73 used for 3+ long years without an issue.
Old 1st November 2015, 17:06   #22206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
And an informed, tested choice is something a rare few make. And then once they find the phone isn't suitable to their usage pattern due to size/battery life/lag or something else, they feel free to curse 'Android' and praise how 'premium' iPhones are very high quality. (yeah 'premium' works here too )

Some of these same people may get an iPhone later, and forcefully adapt themselves and their usage to Apple's strict and locked down hardware and software limitations. And once they find themselves in sync with the phone (and not the other way round), they become free to tell everyone how iPhone is vastly different from 'Android' (or what they think is Android).
Its quite interesting to see these snippets on informed choices. I feel I am so much of ill-informed user. I like to use my phone stock, with zero tweaking, and go with the regular OTA updates which comes thru regularly. An iPhone is brilliant in that aspect, it does feel premium (or probably can say mass-market premium), and everything works perfectly in the way its supposed to. In my opinion, if I have to buy something expensive and overhaul it completely to get the best performance, it kind of defeat the purpose.

And I am not an anti-Android person. My personal phone is an LG G3, and If find it brilliant in its stock form. Just a bit too thirsty on the battery, otherwise no complaints.
Old 1st November 2015, 18:57   #22207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Though HTC Desire 816 is also on the list of Android 6.0 update list but there is no particular time frame mentioned.

Any idea about the Marshmallow rollout on the Desire 816?
I know MotoX will get in late November or early December. htc takes a bit longer due to the tweak in Sense which has to be done.
Old 2nd November 2015, 22:44   #22208
BHPian

Being a Galaxy S2 user for the last 3 years, I am looking to upgrade my phone in 2016 (I know its a quite long planning for a mobile phone purchase).

The ones on my radar are
Note 4
Note 5
Sony Xperia Z5
Moto Droid 2 (not sure of India launch)

I am liking the Note 4 for the features it offers but the India version with Snapdragon 805 SoC may not be future proof since its 32-bit (Marshmallow needs 64 bit chips) and that's a downer.

Any opinions?
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:45   #22209
Senior - BHPian

@Srinath34

Just dont plan. 2016 is way ahead and you may see some new technology advances during this time and even the note 5 may look slow at that point.

If you want one right now the top of the line options are from samsung, Apple, Sony(Z5) and nexus as well.

Phones are bad investments or rather bad expenses. I still have the Original Note and i am not giving that device up that easilly
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:44   #22210
Senior - BHPian

Mi 4i is at discount - Rs. 11,000 on their India website as part of Diwali offer.

I was planning to get one for my mother - who needs it for Skype/ video calls/ WhatsApp and Facebook and a reasonable battery life.

Comments about phone heating up are keeping me in a doubtful state. Also heard negative things about the service experience.
Old 3rd November 2015, 13:42   #22211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
I am looking to upgrade my phone in 2016 (I know its a quite long planning for a mobile phone purchase)

Any opinions?
As per online rumours, samsung may launch Galaxy S7 in January 2016. IMHO it is better to wait for it before deciding anything.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:30   #22212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Mi 4i is at discount - Rs. 11,000 on their India website as part of Diwali offer.

I was planning to get one for my mother - who needs it for Skype/ video calls/ WhatsApp and Facebook and a reasonable battery life.

Comments about phone heating up are keeping me in a doubtful state. Also heard negative things about the service experience.
I don't think heating is a problem. I think she will find battery life a problem if she doesn't mind charging every day --- and, as someone posted recently, the days of charge-once-a-week phones are long gone.

What I don't recommend about it is the tiny internal memory. It is very restrictive. Actually, not that I would upgrade in a year, but... what happened to the 32Gb model? Could not find it online here at all.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:45   #22213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think heating is a problem. I think she will find battery life a problem if she doesn't mind charging every day --- and, as someone posted recently, the days of charge-once-a-week phones are long gone.

What I don't recommend about it is the tiny internal memory. It is very restrictive. Actually, not that I would upgrade in a year, but... what happened to the 32Gb model? Could not find it online here at all.
I completely agree with you on the internal memory part. I have mentioned this in my earlier post and just re-iterating it again, I would never recommend anyone to buy 16gb model without external card support. We will hardly get 11gb free and that is just inadequate considering the size of basic apps and pictures that gets stored.
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:16   #22214
Senior - BHPian

Finally received my Asus Zenwatch 2 from the US through amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._detailpages00
Product Link - https://www.asus.com/ZenWatch/ASUS_Z...501Q/Features/
Landing cost to Meerut including customs 156 $ (10.5k INR)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenwatch-recd-03112015_156_1.jpg

All stainless steel build., Feels great in hand for this price. Bands are standard 22mm and interchangeable and available at your friendly neighborhood watch-wallah.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenwatch-recd-03112015_3.jpg

Charger is rated 1A. Cable is proprietary and magnetic.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenwatch-recd-03112015_accessories_5.jpg

Incoming call alert
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenwatch-recd-03112015_9.jpg

Thousands of watch faces. Make it a Rolex one day and a Cartier the next... lolz
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-asus-zenwatch-recd-03112015_8.jpg

I'm luvin it for now. Asus is epitomizing the VFM concept. If only the Zenfone 2 had a slightly better camera it would have been the perfect phone.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd November 2015 at 15:24.
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:53   #22215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Finally received my Asus Zenwatch 2 from the US through amazon.com
Watch looks awesome and VFM! Do keep us posted on the usage and battery patterns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks