Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2015, 13:11   #22246
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Got my Oneplus X on saturday, kudos to Amazon for an A+ purchase and delivery experience. Initial impression its is really a VFM product.

Size is perfect and similar to iPhone 6 my primary device, comes with a protective rubber case and a screen guard installed (like it). Cut the BSNL sim card to Nano size and was a relief that it worked, it was a very old sim with large contact points, some of which got chopped off.

Screen is just awesome AMOLED and is worth every penny paid, the Oxygen is a very light and bare version of the latest andorid but has all the essentials intact. Its snappy and so far no lag issues, working as it should since the OS is light.

Camera is ok and does a decent job, my comparison is iPhone and definitely is not a fair one.

Issues till now, while setting up i got a message an OS upgrade was available and i went ahead with it (bad idea). After upgrade SD card is not recognized in memory, though it shows up in file explorer. In short it is pretty much useless now, to move apps etc into SD card. Will need to await next update as indicated by manufacturer.

So word of advise, do not update OS till another update is out. Details of the issue can be found here. https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...398225/page-15
Old 10th November 2015, 07:56   #22247
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am not getting incoming calls in the (Airtel) Sim 1 of my Moto G 3rd gen phone. When I dial from another phone, I get the message the phone is out of reach or switched off. Signal strength is not a problem. I am able to make out going calls. Airtel customer care says they don't see any problem with the connection and sufficient balance is there.

When I switch the Sim 2 (Vodafone) to Sim 1, it works perfectly. The Airtel card shifted to Sim 2 continues to have the same issue. What could be the problem?
Old 10th November 2015, 09:20   #22248
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am not getting incoming calls in the (Airtel) Sim 1 of my Moto G 3rd gen phone. When I dial from another phone, I get the message the phone is out of reach or switched off. Signal strength is not a problem. I am able to make out going calls. Airtel customer care says they don't see any problem with the connection and sufficient balance is there.

When I switch the Sim 2 (Vodafone) to Sim 1, it works perfectly. The Airtel card shifted to Sim 2 continues to have the same issue. What could be the problem?
Have you tried getting the Sim changed?
Old 10th November 2015, 09:23   #22249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am not getting incoming calls in the (Airtel) Sim 1 of my Moto G 3rd gen phone.....Airtel customer care says they don't see any problem with the connection and sufficient balance is ..The Airtel card shifted to Sim 2 continues to have the same issue. What could be the problem?
Change the SIM Card, preferably get the new card from a different (store) location, it will work.

I had a similar problem when I went in for 4G last year, LTE did not work. I first changed the SIM, then the (brand-new) phone, again the SIM, and it still didn't work!

Finally, after escalation to the COO level, it turned out that the entire batch of SIM cards supplied to a particular dealership was defective.

I was given a pre-tested new SIM from Airtel head office, it worked.

All the while, Airtel Customer Care maintained that nothing was wrong - please don't believe them, they are either a bunch of liars or have no clue what is happening on planet earth!
Old 10th November 2015, 09:28   #22250
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: [Qualcomm Certified] Aukey Quick Charge 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
Are there any consequences for using this charger for Apple devices such as the iPad or iPhone?
Nope. None. Using such charger for my ipad only charges it faster
Old 10th November 2015, 11:15   #22251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Agreed, Windows is quite lightweight as an OS, but the main thing that Android consumes more is RAM.

Also, it is unfair to consider a Samsung phone as 'Android' in a performance comparison. While they have represented Android in sales figures, Samsungs are among the worst in usability and overall UI performance among Androids. Stock Android phones only should be considered for the same. For the sake of it, just install official CyanogenMod or Resurrection Remix on a Samsung flagship and then pit it against its Lumia counterpart. The sheer improvement in terms of responsiveness and fluidity than before is usually stunning. And it offers (one of) the latest version of Android too.

There is a catch here, sir. The 'useful life' that you speak of is for the very average, non-tech-savvy user. If you try to get a little bit geeky, there are tons of custom ROM's kernels, etc available for Android, while Windows Phone, apart from Microsoft's official insider previews, is almost as locked down as iOS.

And when it comes to the actual useful life, if we do decide to get a little geeky and install CyanogenMod 12.1 or Resurrection Remix 5.1

And to get an even better idea of how well Android actually boosts the useful life of phones, let's go one generation behind the S3 and the 920 to the S2 and 900 respectively. The S2 officially launched on 2.3 Gingerbread, and got updated to 4.0. ICS and 4.1 JB. But after that, courtesy custom ROM's, it got Android 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5.0, 5.1, and was one of the first devices to boot on CM13 with Android 6.0. 6.0 is still under development though. And the performance of the device only kept getting constantly better wih official stable releases of each generation, and the latest software experience straight from Google could be enjoyed by the user. All of this is nothing short of stunning on a device that will be five years old this summer.

The Lumia 900 meanwhile was launched with WP7.5, did get WP7.8, but Microsoft never updated it to Windows 8, citing hardware reasons. Since Windows 8 apps didn't support backwards compatibility,

Sir, I would beg to differ. Older Apple devices are indeed found to lag and hang a lot with newer iOS versions. You may ask any iPhone 4S or iPod touch 5 user how iOS 9 performs on their device. It is worse than a lot of midrange Androids as well. The 'updates' too, are mainly just minor visual changes, and almost all the new functionality that a newer iOS version brings is omitted while updating older devices.

Very good points.

I don't know about the newer Android versions, but it is much easier to 'slim down' an Android OS (most custom ROMS). Installing TinyXP restored (or should I say, uncovered?) some zippy performance from a laggy old Win7 Samsung NC10 netbook.

Would somebody care to tell us from a HARDWARE point of view, what we should be looking for in a phone for better performance? (Besides the obvious n-core, nn-terahertz, marketing hype).
Old 10th November 2015, 15:56   #22252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Very good points.
Would somebody care to tell us from a HARDWAREpoint of view, what we should be looking for in a phone for better performance? (Besides the obvious n-core, nn-terahertz, marketing hype).
Most important obviously is the processing and RAM, but apart from that, a very important part is software optimisation. Light and well optimised software on a modest hardware configuration can give a hard time in responsiveness and stability to heavily customised and bloated software running on top of the line hardware. We have many videos on YouTube where budget Motorola phones running stock Android give Samsung flagships a run for their money. Obviously, this is only in day-to-day basic usage. In terms of high-end gaming, the GPU and RAM take preference over everything else.
The amount of RAM is quite overrated these days. How much is needed varies very much from device to device and user to user. If you are someone who does a lot of intensive activity on phones, yes, the additional RAM on a high end smartphone may come in handy. But saying that more RAM makes a phone faster per se is not right. If you use a high end device even for casual tasks, 2 GB should be more than enough for well optimised software. Even a gig will do the job fine on most occasions.
Apple devices have always come with very modest looking specs on paper: the common configuration recently has been a dual core chip, 1 gig of RAM, and a small battery. But the processor though not as strong on paper, is really hi-tech and on the relatively barebones software, performs brilliantly. The GPU's are where Apple put in the best tech, and it shows in the gaming. Also, the battery holds on quite well due to the same reasons. Also, in terms of graphics performance, the screen resolution has a role to play, as it decides the number of pixels the GPU has to push to render the graphics. Overkill resolutions on small screens hence may affect performance, and battery life too. The LG G3 for example, had a 1440p QHD screen and the same SD801 and Adreno 330 as other major flagships. However, the higher resolution resulted in a much poorer overall graphics performance as compared to other flagships which all had 1080p screens.

Anyways, coming back to the actual question, in the Android market, right now the best bet on performance should be a phone with a Snapdragon 808 and lots of RAM. It is a potent processor, and many OEM's have opted for the 808 over the 810 due to heating issues on the latter. Thus we have the LG G4 and the Moto X style, but due to the software optimisations that Motorola does, I would place my bet on the Moto. The SD810 powered phones are obviously more powerful for extremely demanding tasks, but the heating issue of the 810 means there is usually lot of throttling of the CPU, and hence drop in performance. The Nexus 6P reportedly has the heating issue well in control, and if that is the case, with stock Marshmallow, the Adreno 403 and 3 GB of RAM, that one would be the performance king. The Note5 and OnePlus 2 may have 4 gigs of RAM each, but TouchWiz on the former is extremely heavy and I'm still not sure it'd perform flawlessly over an extended period of use, and OxygenOS on the latter has some minor stability issues like the ones we find on some custom ROM's. Hence the Nexus, or the Moto it would be, in my opinion.
Old 10th November 2015, 16:50   #22253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The amount of RAM is quite overrated these days. How much is needed varies very much from device to device and user to user. If you are someone who does a lot of intensive activity on phones, yes, the additional RAM on a high end smartphone may come in handy. But saying that more RAM makes a phone faster per se is not right. If you use a high end device even for casual tasks, 2 GB should be more than enough for well optimised software. Even a gig will do the job fine on most occasions.
Completely disagree. I have a S3 (Jan 2014) running CM10.3 which is about as lightweight as lightweight can be, but sure isnt optimized.

My device drinks battery like crazy, lags every now and then while multi-tasking with endless number of apps auto-starting. I have a reasonable number of apps installed (some 60-70).

Honestly, for someone not on a really skimpy budget - 3GB is future proof. 2GB is just about okay from a 2-3 year ownership perspective.
Old 10th November 2015, 18:39   #22254
BANNED

I have a firm belief there is nothing like too much RAM. Make sure you get the maximum you can get / afford since in a year or so it will be barely adequate, and in another year start appearing marginal.
Old 10th November 2015, 18:59   #22255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Completely disagree.
Completely agree!

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos with 1GB / 8GB. Over and above what comes stock, just 3 apps installed: Whatsapp, Candy Crush Soda and Candy Crush Saga. Her phone is a slug, primarily because of RAM shortage. Constantly clearing RAM improves response somewhat, but fundamentally it's a basket / terminal case. What she needs is a minimum of 3 GB RAM.
Old 10th November 2015, 19:39   #22256
BHPian

While I too believe in the fact that more RAM is better, my Moto G with just 1GB RAM works fine for all the tasks that I ask it to do. I do believe that for casual usage with everyday sort of apps, modest specs like the one on the G would be fine. Of course, running stock Android helps.

I've got some 35 - 40 apps or so installed, but no games.
Old 10th November 2015, 20:11   #22257
BHPian

I have ordered a Mi 4i with FK. Got it in a exchange deal for 7k. Will appreciate feedback on the model with respect to overheating etc. My first Xiaomi phone, am very excited.
Old 11th November 2015, 05:44   #22258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Completely agree!

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos with 1GB / 8GB. Over and above what comes stock, just 3 apps installed: Whatsapp, Candy Crush Soda and Candy Crush Saga. Her phone is a slug, primarily because of RAM shortage. Constantly clearing RAM improves response somewhat, but fundamentally it's a basket / terminal case. What she needs is a minimum of 3 GB RAM.
ThIs is a bit strange.Just check. It may not be just the RAM. Even the storage memory available affects the device performance. You may try moving away all the images and videos outside the phone., especially the whatsapp ones. And also try deleting the dumpstate log files _ "*#9900#" will open a menu for this in the system.
Old 11th November 2015, 06:58   #22259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the processor though not as strong on paper, is really hi-tech and on the relatively barebones software, performs brilliantly.
You could not be more wrong here. The CPU's are as high tech as they can be. Infact Apple leapfrogged everyone when they released the A7, a 64 bit chip. The impact of that move is still being felt today because suddenly all the other vendors needed a 64 bit chip for the spec sheet and in the hurry to do things Qualcomm came with the 810 SOC using off the shelf ARM reference designs and we all know what happened. Even the 808 is not free from thermal throttling. Read the Nexus 5X review on Anandtech.

The current A9 chip is the best performing and the most advanced SOC ever according to people who know what they talking about. The SOC doesn't throttle at all. Again read the review of the iPhone 6S at Anandtech for more details.

Coming to software, it is lightweight because of the work Apple puts in when writing the code and their obsessive attention to detail and not because the software is light per se. It still has more animations and colors than Android and is still rendered mostly at 60 fps even on hardware as old as iPhone 4S. As an example the animated wallpapers that you see in apple watch or the new iPhone aren't computer generated, they actually photographed the filming of the flower over a number of hours. The longest one took them a staggering 285 hours and over 24000 shots. I also read somewhere that Apple implemented more than 800 types of Gaussian blurs for the new 3D touch feature on the iPhone.

All said, more than even the software, Apple's hardware is top notch.

If you want to read about the length Apple goes to, read the below links.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/be...-sleep-light-1

http://bgr.com/2015/03/30/iphone-6-t...sign-elements/

Last edited by extreme_torque : 11th November 2015 at 07:03.
Old 11th November 2015, 08:11   #22260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You could not be more wrong here. The CPU's are as high tech as they can be. Infact Apple leapfrogged everyone when they released the A7, a 64 bit chip. ...........
I thought this was an Android and not an Apple Thread!! You may be posting in the wrong thread. One can argue that Apple often uses chips which are about two years old!!

Most Viewed