Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:46   #22336
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I've now got my Moto E and what I like the most is the form factor. It fits perfectly on my palm, not too big, not too small. It is the perfect size!

I haven't got an external memory card, but I'm planning to get one. I would like to install most of my apps on this external memory card. How do I install apps directly from PlayStore to the SD card?
Old 22nd November 2015, 11:50   #22337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

I haven't got an external memory card, but I'm planning to get one. I would like to install most of my apps on this external memory card. How do I install apps directly from PlayStore to the SD card?
Go to settings, storage and select default storage location as SD card/external storage. Apart from these there are third party apps on play store which can move apps to SD. Some part of the app still remains on internal storage though.

Apps like clean master can also move apps to SD apart from a lot of things.
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:23   #22338
BHPian

Thanks for the reply!

I tried using one of my old 8 GB micro SD card and for one of the Navigation App that I'm installing (Here maps), it would ask me where I would like to download the Map to. I have asked it to download to the external SD card. I would leave the remaining stuff like photos, music and so on with the internal memory!

By the way, is anyone here using Here maps for turn by turn navigation? How good is that? From the reviews what I see, the experience seems to be smooth. What do you guys think?
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:52   #22339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
By the way, is anyone here using Here maps for turn by turn navigation? How good is that? From the reviews what I see, the experience seems to be smooth. What do you guys think?
Well, I find Gmaps to be better compared to HERE if you can find a data connection. If not, the even HERE solves the purpose.

Although HERE maps drops my GPS lock randomly. As you can see, HERE still shows awaiting GPS, while Google maps has me locked. Also notice the better mapping of roads and pkwys in Gmaps. The turns shown are much smoother and naturally mapped than here.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20151122054426.png
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20151122054447.png

Gmaps has also introduced offline navigation a week ago or so. But its not up to the mark for now and still needs a lot of refinement. 2 days ago, I was near Kensington station going towards Whitechapel and didn't have any data connection. I had downloaded London maps that morning and decided to try it. Gmaps went crazy trying to route me to Whitechapel while offline. HERE was much better. Offline, the time prediction of HERE is much more accurate than Gmaps. Gmaps showed me 20 mins to Whitechapel.
Attachment 1442291
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20151122164354.png  

Old 22nd November 2015, 18:17   #22340
Distinguished - BHPian

Off topic, but you appear to have confused Kensington and Kennington. Not that I would be much good at driving to Whitechapel from either, these days.

On an early visit to London, I went to Edgeware, instead of Edgeware Road (a loooong detour) and Camden instead of Camden Passage (not quite so horrendously far off).
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:39   #22341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Off topic, but you appear to have confused Kensington and Kennington.
Thanks for pointing that out. Even Kensington isn't too far from Whitechapel. Though I did rather take the tube than drive through the A315/A4.
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:31   #22342
BHPian

I drove today to a known location and used the offline mode of Here maps. One thing that I noticed what I miss from my Garmin navigation device is, during exiting highways, my Garmin device would tell me the name and number of the exit that I should take. I seriously miss this feature with Here maps. The GPS was very good as the reception was very strong and it was always on lock!

Is there a way to overlay POI's on Here maps when in offline mode? I'm using a Moto E. Is the overlay feature for Here maps only available for Nokia Lumia?
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:44   #22343
Senior - BHPian

Today, there was a parcel waiting for me at the office. Received the aukey car charger today. some pics below:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151123_172435.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151123_172444.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151123_172455.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20151123_172508.jpg

This thing is freakishly small. I was thinking it would be 'chunkier' considering that it can put out a grand total of 54W. The quick charge port is the one in the red. The rest are regular ports which can put out 2.4A. This also came with a 20AWG cable, so yeah!!

The quick charge port will get the cable and will go for charging the phones for my self and co-passengers. Two of the regular ports will go to the gps device (MMI) and the dash cam. There will be one free port that can be used at will to charge another device. I have an order for 2 x 2 meters of mini USB cables for dashcam and MMI, which are yet to reach.

The link for the product -
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00V...ilpage_o01_s00

PS: When i ordered the price was slightly lesser.

I am yet to try it out in the car, so, I will post a pic once I try plugging it into the car.

PPS: Any help for a solid phone mount that is sturdy and can last is welcome.

Last edited by govigov : 23rd November 2015 at 17:46.
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:27   #22344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Received the aukey car charger today.
Awesome, do let us know how the charger is. I picked one from Amazon.com for 12$ couple of weeks back, I should get it in a week or so

There probably is no better car phone mount than an iOttie Easy One Touch 2.

In other news, I switched to AOSParadox Marshmallow ROM for my OnePlus One. Running flawlessly with all my apps, very happy with it.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-ap5t94eltdchq0s5hhialk01gz4sbexlgf1jchgnykz6.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 23rd November 2015 at 18:29.
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:22   #22345
Senior - BHPian

How to increase the Apps Storage Space in MMX Canvas Magnus A117?

I am facing "Insufficient Storage Memory" error every time I update an app.
Hence thought to give it a try to XDA Forums for some solution to this.
Came across this-
Canvas Magnus- Increase App Storage Swap Memory
and this-
Tutorials- Increase Apps Storage In Mtk devices

But I am still not confident how to do it.
I want to increase the App Storage by atleast 1GB. Currently the Internal Memory Size shown is 1.61GB and Available is 1.35GB.

Is there any problem if I keep the Internal Storage Space of just 350MB and assign the 1GB to Apps Storage?

Please guide me to do the needful.

I have 16GB Samsung SD Card if that matters.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 23rd November 2015 at 22:42.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:59   #22346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to increase the Apps Storage Space in MMX Canvas Magnus A117?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Before you do anything complicated and scary, do check for things like large downloads and delete them. Delete large back-up files, ROMs, etc etc. (Of course, back up all to PC first ).

I've had this several times, and I always succeed in clearing my way to successful app updates.

Also, try updating just one app at a time
Old 24th November 2015, 00:28   #22347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
do check for things like large downloads and delete them. Delete large back-up files, ROMs, etc.
Try updating just one app at a time
I have Two Offline Map Apps- Here and Navigator.

Here Maps has 46MB size. Navigator has just 5 Mb size.
No. in brackets indicate App size in MB as per reported by Settings-
Whats App (27), Hike (27), Google App (46), Google Play Books (17), Google Play Movies (15), Google Play Services (88), Google Play Store (23), Google Text-to-Speech engine (18) are consuming precious Space of Memory.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 24th November 2015 at 00:29.
Old 24th November 2015, 00:44   #22348
BHPian

Quote:
Hence thought to give it a try to XDA Forums for some solution to this.
Is there any problem if I keep the Internal Storage Space of just 350MB and assign the 1GB to Apps Storage?
Please guide me to do the needful.
I have 16GB Samsung SD Card if that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Before you do anything complicated and scary, do check for things like large downloads and delete them. Delete large back-up files, ROMs, etc etc. (Of course, back up all to PC first ).
I've had this several times, and I always succeed in clearing my way to successful app updates.
Also, try updating just one app at a time

The low internal storage issue is a common one among budget MediaTek devices, and the storage swapping method is a straightforward one to help it- you simply take out memory from the internal storage (the part of the storage that is open to you to store or downloads, media or other files) and allocate it to the system srorage (the part that contains apps, OS files, extra data for large games, etc). The default setting from the OEM is usually around 50-50% for each part, but XDA users are known to have made even 10-90% repartitions for some devices. More system storage gives you more room to install apps and keep system cache and other data. The internal storage is like an SD card itself, so almost everything that may be in the internal storage may be as well transferred to the external SD.

If it is a one-step procedure flashing one file through SP tools, may be seriously worth a try. Check the XDA thread where you get the mod from for user reports. If a lot of users have positive feedback, it should work fine. However, if it is a complex process with chances of errors, it is best not bothered with.
Custom recoveries like Philz touch and newer versions of TWRP have storage repartition option standard in the recovery. You may find one of them and flash it onto your device. However, again, check the XDA thread of the same for errors or bugs. In some cases, the OS has problems after repartitioning the storage.
Another option (which in my opinion works great) is to find an SP flashable modified stock ROM with the storage swap done. Such modified stock ROM's are available for the more popular devices and usually also fix other problems of Micromax phones like bloatware.
And as they are based on stock ROM's they are daily drivers too.

In any case, one thing to is to backup everything including the ROM, any important data, NVRAM, etc. Another top tip: download the stock firmware (SP flashable) of your device and keep it as backup. In case any errors occur, or worst, the device stops responding altogether, you can just disconnect the battery and connect the device to PC and flash the stock firmware to hopefully start the device again.

If you don't want the hassle, try and reduce your own apps footprint. Some critical apps like Google Play Store, Play Services, Chrome, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc consume huge amounts of storage. Get rid of Facebook and messenger and use facebook lite instead. That is a nifty little app (<1MB in size!). Use Opera mini instead of Chrome. Keep cleaning up Whatsapp media and other data. Root your phone using KingRoot and get rid of all stock apps you don't use. If your usage isn't particularly heavy, even that should clear up significant amounts of storage.

Last edited by mukul32 : 24th November 2015 at 00:49.
Old 24th November 2015, 01:11   #22349
Senior - BHPian

A relative of mine wants to ditch the Nexus5 and move to a new Android phone. Display issues have plagued his mobile hampering its usability.

He is now looking at a 1+2. Can fellow members help me out with some other good suggestions as well. I am thinking he can go till 30K for the phone. Ruled out iPhone point blank. So the choice is in Android.

Is 5x a upgrade or maybe even the 6?

Last edited by SchumiFan : 24th November 2015 at 01:18.
Old 24th November 2015, 01:32   #22350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other than clearing app cache, what works for me most of the time is deleting the app data for FB and clearing the browsing history from the browser (Chrome, in my case).

Most Viewed