Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 18:45   #22441
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Motorola's all set to launch the Moto G Turbo edition in India. This upgrade will give the little phone some added grunt.
The phone will get a full HD screen, a Snapdragon 615 and Quick Charge (hence the name). Worthy spec boost. However, I feel this model should replace the current 16 GB model at the same price, which in turn should replace the current 8 GB model. If they decide to launch it as a special Moto G model at a higher price than either of the two variants, they are trying to milk the Moto G brand.
And the axe on the existing 8 GB Moto G because, in 2016, an entry midranger with just one gig of RAM and 8 gigs of total storage (out of which only about four would be usable) doesn't cut it anymore. The 8 GB Moto G is like the Thar DI, really. Just because it's branded after its superior brother and looks the same too, doesn't mean you should expect anything from it.

Last edited by mukul32 : 8th December 2015 at 18:48.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:27   #22442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The phone will get a full HD screen, a Snapdragon 615 and Quick Charge (hence the name). Worthy spec boost. However, I feel this model should replace the current 16 GB model at the same price, which in turn should replace the current 8 GB model.
I believe the G turbo launched in Mexico had to make do with the same 720p display as the regular G, so I doubt whether the one we get will have a FHD display.

I too agree that this should replace the current 'regular' Moto G. There are lots of well specced rivals from Chinese manufacturers at that price point.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:48   #22443
BHPian

Android Authority trying to find out the best Android handsets of 2015.

Today they published their display tests:

http://www.androidauthority.com/best...isplay-660168/

Tomorrow they will publish their audio test results.
Old 9th December 2015, 17:50   #22444
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Samsung makes good phones, the only problem being SW updates. If it doesn't bother you. Samsung S6 is good.
Wouldn't suggest any other brands of you want to play it safe.
Yeah, I think I'll pick between the S6 & the Sony Z5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
There is another brother of the 'X' from 2014 generation having same size and has got 64 GB internal memory, 3GB RAM, bigger 3900mah battery: Moto Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Another phone that I feel can meet your needs and not mentioned here is the Moto Turbo. 5.2 inch screen, 64gb memory, 3900mah battery and in my opinion looks better than the newer moto style. It loses on some of the specs to the moto style, but still seems a compelling package.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Unfortunately your choices are limited since you want a smaller sized phone.
When the heck did a 5" display become small? The way that smartphones are going, I think everyone will be walking about with a 10" tablet in 2020.

Quote:
LG Nexus 5X 32GB
If I can't carry my entire music collection everywhere, it's a no go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Last I remember 4G could not be used for calling purposes. I have a OnePlus X with Airtel 4G sim. If it is on LTE before a call, it switches instantaneously to 3G or 2G just before it starts ringing. So I don't think we can assume 4G is equal to bad call quality.
Yikes! Looks like 4G is still very much in the nascent stages.

Quote:
GTO's usage doesn't seem to be like the G4's target customer.
Yeah, not a power user at all. Just phones, messaging, browsing etc.

Quote:
That I like to get my hands dirty with my Androids only helps.
Not me & phones, no . To give an automotive analogy, I'm the kind of a guy who'll keep the stock number-plates & tyres on my smartphone.

Quote:
let me put it in our own BHPian language. The S6 vs Z5 battle is just like a Hyundai vs Honda battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
LOL. GTO is the exact opposite. He will use the phone till it is fully run down or stopped working. Even now he is using an old HTC One bought more than a year ago.
Yep, my HTC One is 19 months old. I'd have happily used it for longer, if it weren't for:

1. The lousy CDMA network that is degrading.

2. How it's falling apart. The screen has an issue (top left corner is all yellow), the camera stopped working (hardware issue, I'm told) and the incoming call volume dropped too low (another hardware issue, I'm told).

My ideal use time for a phone would be 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would suggest you stick with the S6. Best bang for your buck for now and nearly has the best of everything. If you can compromise slightly on the size then the Note 4 is also a great buy right now.
Thanks! Yes to S6, no to the big Note 4.
Old 9th December 2015, 18:11   #22445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yeah, I think I'll pick between the S6 & the Sony Z5.
Seriously consider the iPhone 6-64GB. It meets most of your needs and meets/surpasses the above phones in terms of peace of mind / lag free ownership!
Old 9th December 2015, 21:10   #22446
BHPian

Quote:

the camera stopped working (hardware issue, I'm told) and the incoming call volume dropped too low (another hardware issue, I'm told).
You mean to say that 'ultra pixel' crap actually worked at some point?! I'd thought that was a permanent hardware issue in all old HTC One's!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Seriously consider the iPhone 6-64GB. It meets most of your needs and meets/surpasses the above phones in terms of peace of mind / lag free ownership!
iPhones are great only for those type of people who either can't resist showing off their phone, or need only a good 'phone', may it be alien to any sort of functionality. Forget tech-savvy, even a street smart person who may be used to Android, and who knows exactly what he wants out of his phone, would find the experience of an iPhone way too inadequate. It's a simple and polished experience, but at the same time, underwhelmingly basic too.

And the 'lag-free'ness and 'peace of mind' of iPhones over Android are mere perceptions at this point, just the way we keep hearing fake perceptions that 'Honda is (still) the most reliable', or that 'Maruti is the most trustworthy' or perhaps the biggest fake perception that goes unnoticed, 'Hyundais are the most premium'.

An Android (non-Samsung, those are perhaps the only ones that may still lag) is now just as, if not more, lag free than any iPhone out there. Gone are the days of laggy Samsungs running overbloated Touchwiz being the default representative of 'Android', just because they sold the most. In fact, old iPhones themselves horribly lag on newer iOS versions.
Similarly, both are just as reliable, or in case of the rare unfortunate occasion, just as unreliable too. Androids have become really tight and secure, while an iPhone too may be prone to the odd accident. Remember bendgate?
Old 9th December 2015, 21:51   #22447
BHPian

Meanwhile, Motorola, the undisputed king of software interface and software support among Android OEM's, have just announced that the 2nd gen Moto E will in fact get the 6.0 Marshmallow update. After facing a lot of criticism for not including the Moto E, less than a year old, Motorola seem to have remedied the situation for the device. That I guess, should silence any concerns about Motorola's software support going down after the Lenovo acquisition.
Old 9th December 2015, 22:01   #22448
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
iPhones are great only for those type of people who either can't resist showing off their phone, or need only a good 'phone', may it be alien to any sort of functionality.

That's pretty judgemental mate. Can you list a few useful things that an android phone can do which an iPhone can't? Other than support piracy.
Old 9th December 2015, 22:19   #22449
Senior - BHPian

Shifted to Sultanxda's Unofficial CM13 Marshmallow ROM. Latest build is Android 6.0.1, have no bugs to report and is pretty good as a daily use ROM!

Name:  ForumRunner_20151209_221945.png
Views: 572
Size:  21.4 KB
Old 9th December 2015, 22:36   #22450
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

S6 is superb but there are too many feature draw backs and the inconsistent battery.If you can go to a shop do check size comparison.

Its not that too big the note 4 but to me the advantage of removable battery, sd card and overall screen including one of the best cameras and super speed system tilted me towards the note.

Between S2 and Note 4 yes size matter. S6 has reached almost the original note size at this point and the note 4 is far slimmer and actually usable in one hand.

I will try to convince you for Note 4. Best utility as a phablet which can also be used as phone.
Old 10th December 2015, 00:29   #22451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
That's pretty judgemental mate. Can you list a few useful things that an android phone can do which an iPhone can't? Other than support piracy.
That's not judgemental, brother. I had seriously decided to cut out my iPhone hate at one point, and give the iUsers a break. But it's observed general behaviour that keeps persisting among iUsers that makes me speak about the 'show-off' factor. It's not as if I'm just a biased hater that tries to get on top of all that is Apple. It's what's for real. People have to adjust to an iPhone, yet they buy it just for the snob value. You see the Apple logo shown off in uncountable selfies floating around everywhere, more than any other logo. Apple fans still talk as if there is nothing else apart from Apple in the technology world. There's lots to it mate. Let's not just get into it at the moment.

As for the functionality, there's tons of it. An Android phone has proper widgets (the first thing that comes to mind) which are really nifty, Androids have fast charging, wireless charging, front firing stereo speakers for the music, replaceable batteries, support for expandable storage in some cases, far far better personalisation, more security options, much better lock screen utility, far better control over notification and app permissions, third party everything if you are willing to try it out.
These are some of the commonly found features in the global OEM and Nexus phones together.You can't have them all at once, but you can choose which ones from them you need and pick a package in form of a suitable device accordingly.
And yes, Android has a huge custom mod scenario for the geeky ones among us. The older phones are worth more than just shiny paperweights that way.

Quote:
I will try to convince you for Note 4. Best utility as a phablet which can also be used as phone.
I would recommend the Note 4 to no one but the heaviest of power users out there. For anyone else the phone needs some adjusting and getting used to. The size is considerable in any case, the fingerprint scanner on that one is the old swipe type, which is really annoying and inaccurate at the same time, and the Indian version uses an older Exynos chip that's different from the Western markets. And the worst part is, there is full blown Touchwiz, with all kinds of bloatware and unnecessary additions and 'features', creeping out of nowhere throughout the interface. The latest Note series phones usually get unreal amounts of bloat and Smasung's own childish customisations absolutely everywhere, that they like to call 'features' and 'enhancements'. The commendable part though is that despite all that, performance is still great. Battery life is just not as good as its predecessor, but is also good nonetheless. A year ago, the Note 4 would have been a monster, despite Touchwiz, but now the scene has matured considerably.

Last edited by mukul32 : 10th December 2015 at 00:48.
Old 10th December 2015, 00:34   #22452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say that 'ultra pixel' crap actually worked at some point?! I'd thought that was a permanent hardware issue in all old HTC One's!!
Did you happen to own one?

My colleague has owned the M7 Mini for 2 years - it simply takes the best low light party shots. It didn't lag despite the puny processor over the two years. What did he replace it with? He bought another HTC Desire Eye, only for the UltraPixel front camera.

Quote:
iPhones are great only for those type of people who either can't resist showing off their phone, or need only a good 'phone', may it be alien to any sort of functionality. Forget tech-savvy, even a street smart person who may be used to Android, and who knows exactly what he wants out of his phone, would find the experience of an iPhone way too inadequate.
Relax - no need to spew so much iBuyer-Hate. Can we please be mutually respectful and not diss a large subset's intelligence?
I was addressing GTO's underlying need of a phone that gets the job done.
Quote:
Yeah, not a power user at all. Just phones, messaging, browsing etc.
His core use can be met outside of Android, and that's what I was suggesting - for him to relax his self-imposed constraint.

Which iPhone have you owned of late? I have the 6 since April, and have convinced 5 friends to buy the same (3 from android, 2 iphone 5 owners). None has been in the slightest bit disappointed.

PS: Regardless of what anyone says - I'm a believer in keeping phones on old software, across OSes. After much ROM drama, the S3 is happy at Jelly Bean (4.3). Gingerbread (2.3) was where the HTC Chacha and Defy stayed.
Similarly the i6 will stay on iOS9! Even my brand new laptop is on Win7. I'm not moving!

Last edited by phamilyman : 10th December 2015 at 00:36.
Old 10th December 2015, 01:24   #22453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Shifted to Sultanxda's Unofficial CM13 Marshmallow ROM. Latest build is Android 6.0.1, have no bugs to report and is pretty good as a daily use ROM!

Attachment 1448724
Are the network traffic indicators a part of the sultanxda package?
Old 10th December 2015, 01:24   #22454
Distinguished - BHPian

The rivalry between Apple & Android will continue and it wont end anytime soon. As an Android user (not a fan though), all I can say is that Android works for me better! I'm someone who looks for maximum customisability / flexibility across any product and I find that Android suits my needs better. Androids to be honest can be great or just terrible depending on the brand (Touchwiz is a prime example of childish UI). The core of Android however is the trinity of Chrome+Youtube+Search embedded as default which makes things so much easier.

The problem I've noticed is, and I'm saying this strictly from the point of view of an Android user that Apple users 99 out of 100 times start a war by claiming to have the better, no-nonsense combo of hardware & software and then Android fans fire back with the ease-of-use customisability of Android, admittedly both are half-truths (not talking of comments of BHPians but rather of Youtube users & GSMArena users). Heck Android fans themselves are split up into as many as the brands that use it. I'm not someone who changes the bootloader or installs ROM's, no, yet I find that Android is a little more fuss free when it comes to doing everyday tasks like transfer of files, music, NFC, etc. Apple on the other hand is simplistically paranoid leading it to be safe & very secure (which is also good in my view).

Its about time that both Android & Apple fans understand that each person who has a pre-set preference to that brand is not going to change his/her opinion and convincing otherwise is not only futile but would lead to more arguements. In the end measuring the capabilities of different phones is about the last thing anyone should do, it simply depends on individual needs & preferences. I used a 1Ghz mono-core 500MB odd RAM Android for 4 years happily & I don't think my current Octa-Core 3 GB RAM phone is comparatively fast(er) as the specs claim.Phones are mere enablers of communication & not communication itself. Both Android & Apple do a great job for their respective user base as can be determined by their respective supporters. As regards what is better, that would be real-time communication.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th December 2015 at 01:44.
Old 10th December 2015, 01:27   #22455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post

Are the network traffic indicators a part of the sultanxda package?
Nope, its a separate app. Internet speed meter lite.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks