Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2016, 09:42   #22726
BHPian

Re: Marshmallow for Nexus 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Do we have to root to install these ROM? Could you please provide me with pointers on how to install these ROM?

Thanks!
You do not need root to install CM or any equivalent ROM. You need to unlocked boot-loader. Easiest way to do it in Nexus devices is using a toolkit on Windows. I always use Wug's toolkit.

Remember first step is unlock, which erases everything on your device. Hence you must copy content of internal SD card before you attempt anything.

If you need SMS and phone call log, install relevant apps back up before attempting unlock. Also ensure every app data is synched to google account or you will loose app data. Check specially any contact saved as phone, if so you must add it to google account.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 21st January 2016 at 09:47.
Old 21st January 2016, 10:45   #22727
Distinguished - BHPian

One plus x is available for 14999 on Amazon for 3 days and is a great phone at that price. I don't know whether invites are required or its an open sale though.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:12   #22728
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One plus x is available for 14999 on Amazon for 3 days and is a great phone at that price. I don't know whether invites are required or its an open sale though.
This is a bloody good deal. It is a brilliant phone at that price. I have bought it and it covers pretty much all bases. Good Battery, Solid Feel, Good Performance and looks gorgeous! Only rant - Audio on the phone is average.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:21   #22729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is a bloody good deal. It is a brilliant phone at that price. I have bought it and it covers pretty much all bases. Good Battery, Solid Feel, Good Performance and looks gorgeous! Only rant - Audio on the phone is average.
On the Audio side, I have downloaded Audio equalizer by Sphere tools and it helps tune the sound better (Reduce the bass, as the default player tends to pump up the bass too much). The other option is too use a deprecated Media player (this option is there in the developer Options in One plus x) this make the sound flat and with less Boost.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:28   #22730
BHPian

Quote:
On the Audio side, I have downloaded Audio equalizer by Sphere tools and it helps tune the sound better (Reduce the bass, as the default player tends to pump up the bass too much). The other option is too use a deprecated Media player (this option is there in the developer Options in One plus x) this make the sound flat and with less Boost.
I am unimpressed even with the Earphone volume.. It is way too low. The phone speakers sound very tinny and crass. Not sure if an equalizer would do any good. If one used headphones - this is not a problem.

BTW, I am using Doze (available on Google Play) on this and it is giving me a phenomenal backup, easily lasts over a day and I mean easily.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:29   #22731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a bloody good deal.
Quote:
On the Audio side, I have downloaded Audio equalizer by Sphere tools and it helps tune the sound better
I have been fence sitting for some time about One Plus X - want to gift a mobile to wife and this model ticks all her boxes. The only reason which is holding me back is the performance of the camera - I have no first hand experience (no friends own One plus X, no no direct access to info) and all the reviews I have seen have different opinions about the camera.

Can you guys please tell me how good (or bad) the camera is? Can we take instant photos (Like on an iPhone - unlock the screen, tap the camera app and you can fire up photos without any lag) - our current mobiles - Moto G and Moto E are very bad in this department.

--Anoop
Old 21st January 2016, 12:09   #22732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I have been fence sitting for some time about One Plus X - want to gift a mobile to wife and this model ticks all her boxes. The only reason which is holding me back is the performance of the camera - I have no first hand experience (no friends own One plus X, no no direct access to info) and all the reviews I have seen have different opinions about the camera.

Can you guys please tell me how good (or bad) the camera is? Can we take instant photos (Like on an iPhone - unlock the screen, tap the camera app and you can fire up photos without any lag) - our current mobiles - Moto G and Moto E are very bad in this department.

--Anoop
On the camera, it is quite quick to open and responds fast. Daytime and outdoor pics are good quality and can be taken within 1/3rd Sec.
However Nighttime and low light pics are a weakness and the pics don't come as clear as hoped. But still results are better than most cameras in this price range (till 20,000).
Old 21st January 2016, 12:14   #22733
Distinguished - BHPian

From the past one week the battery backup of my moto G2(1.5 year old) has reduced by half. Earlier it used to last me 13-15 hours on a full charge. Now it barely makes to 8 hour mark. I have uninstalled a couple of apps that i had installed over the last week but no avail. Also the screen is heating up more than usual during usage. My usage pattern has remained the same.

Any pointers?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 21st January 2016 at 12:15.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:24   #22734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From the past one week the battery backup of my moto G2(1.5 year old) has reduced by half. Earlier it used to last me 13-15 hours on a full charge. Now it barely makes to 8 hour mark. I have uninstalled a couple of apps that i had installed over the last week but no avail. Also the screen is heating up more than usual during usage. My usage pattern has remained the same.
Could be the battery giving up. Based on our htc experience the phone itself may be packing up. My wife's Desire was heating up, with an ever shorter life, until it pack up one day, Kaput, could not be switched on!
Old 21st January 2016, 12:42   #22735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Could be the battery giving up. Based on our htc experience the phone itself may be packing up. My wife's Desire was heating up, with an ever shorter life, until it pack up one day, Kaput, could not be switched on!
Ok. But the decrease in battery life was not gradual. It was abrupt. That is why i am not suspecting the battery. Also the heating upon normal usage has increased. One more thing is, the phone had a bad fall screen down and got a small scratch on the side. That happened just before the issues started.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:51   #22736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ok. But the decrease in battery life was not gradual. It was abrupt. That is why i am not suspecting the battery. Also the heating upon normal usage has increased. One more thing is, the phone had a bad fall screen down and got a small scratch on the side. That happened just before the issues started.
It could even be a hardware issue. Circuit problems can result in more current being drawn and the phone heating up. Especially since, the phone had a bad fall, you should get this checked.

One easy way to get this checked is to
  • Do a factory reset
  • Remove all SIM cards and Memory cards
  • Use the phone on Wifi for a day with only the stock apps ( yes, you can configure your gmail account )

See, if the same problem recurs.

If the problem gets resolved. Try inserting the SIM and use it for a day. Then try inserting the memory card.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:51   #22737
BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys please tell me how good (or bad) the camera is?

--Anoop
Quote:
On the camera, it is quite quick to open and responds fast. Daytime and outdoor pics are good quality and can be taken within 1/3rd Sec.
However Nighttime and low light pics are a weakness and the pics don't come as clear as hoped. But still results are better than most cameras in this price range (till 20,000).
The camera is decent. It is no iphone6s or Nexus 6 but it does a decent job. It is very quick and shoots slo-mo and time-lapse very well. Again, day shots are good and night shots are grainy. Remember if Camera is a big factor you can go for the Nexus 5X - Brilliant phone but looks are somewhat toned down. Only if it looked better, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

In fact, my One Plus X purchase has been the least researched of them all, ever. I was intent on buying a 6s+ or 6P but one live demo and there was no way I could buy them because of their size.
Old 21st January 2016, 14:55   #22738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The camera is decent.I was intent on buying a 6s+ or 6P but one live demo and there was no way I could buy them because of their size.
Thank you guys - just placed the order for the phone and a screen guard with Amazon. One of the main reasons to reject many other mobiles was the screen size - my wife didn't want a phone with screen bigger than 5 inch. Otherwise, would have definitely looked in to Nexus or Moto X Play.

Now that I have bitten the bullet and ordered the mobile, please bear with couple more questions:

Do you guys use a rear screen guard too?
Does this phone comes with a transparent cover which can be used as a case? I remember reading it somewhere, but not 100% sure if it was really about One Plus X.
Any recommendation for a sleek case, which do not make the phone bulky? I have the Spigen rugged armor case in my mind, but not sure it will suit the taste of my wife. So, looking for other options.

Thank you for your time and inputs

--Anoop
Old 21st January 2016, 15:36   #22739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys use a rear screen guard too?
Does this phone comes with a transparent cover which can be used as a case? I remember reading it somewhere, but not 100% sure if it was really about One Plus X.
There is a silicone back cover provided in the box. Once that is on, i dont think you need to look at any other cases. And the Spigen case would tend to make the phone bulkier than needed and will affect its handling too. My opinion, the silicone back cover provided should be sufficient from scratches/bumps. Drop protection would be almost 0 with this though.
Old 21st January 2016, 15:59   #22740
BANNED

@sagarpadaki; Try Amalji's approach. Looks like your phone may have had it. Get a new one before it goes totally kaput - no way of retrieving or transferring information.

Most Viewed