Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 20:07   #22771
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,
some help needed.

I am looking for an Android Qr Code Reader app that can post the scan result to a specific URL.
For example, under the settings, I configure the URL as www.example.com/[result]
and when the app scan, the result is posted to the URL.

An iPhone App (by TapMedia) does the exact thing I need but sadly its android version does not support this particular feature.

Can someone point me to an app which does the following two things.

1) Ability to set a certain URL to which all the scanned results would be posted
2) This URL should be opened inside the app itself (i.e. within an in-app browser)
Old 28th January 2016, 20:19   #22772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
You may want to stretch your budget a bit and look for Moto X Play. Phenomenal battery life, moto's call quality, good camera in daylight and acceptable in low light. It is Rs. 18,500 now, but usually price drops by a couple of thousands when flipkart has a sale.
It does NOT have stereo speakers. Sigh!
Old 28th January 2016, 21:49   #22773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
It does NOT have stereo speakers. Sigh!
Does that really matter when the speakers are only six inches apart? I think... no.

I also think that nobody would want to listen to music on the mono speaker, and that adding another one probably wouldn't make the quality any better. There are headphones.
Old 28th January 2016, 21:57   #22774
Team-BHP Support

Personal opinion only, but stereo speakers on handheld devices have become a huge nuisance over the last few years. There have been instances on flights, trains and other public transport where I've had to ask people to stop the infernal noise or have the decency to use a pair of ear/headphones.

"You got great speakers and horrendous taste in music, I get it. Could you switch to headphones please? Thanks much!".
Old 28th January 2016, 22:10   #22775
BANNED

Guys,

My note 2 on 4.3 has been showing various errors since last 1 month...

1. It started with some processes not working. Click on ok and it goes away only to come back repeatedly.

2. I did a factory reset and everything was ok. Then after a week again the same thing. Then got stuck on boot screen and then after next factory reset it got stuck on upgrading apps screen over and over again.

3. Currently after working fine for a week it keeps giving me unfortunately process.gapps has stopped.

Anyone went through same or has an idea of whats going on and what is causing these errors.

How can I resolve this ?

Thanks,

Rana.
Old 28th January 2016, 23:43   #22776
BHPian

I'm buying a new Motorola Nexus 6 and would love recommendations for solid, sturdy cases for the same! Any suggestions?
Old 29th January 2016, 00:54   #22777
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does that really matter when the speakers are only six inches apart? I think... no.

I also think that nobody would want to listen to music on the mono speaker, and that adding another one probably wouldn't make the quality any better. There are headphones.
Have to agree. I have stereo speakers on my phone and rarely hear the separation in sound. What matters more to me are front firing speakers than stereo.
Old 29th January 2016, 01:51   #22778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys,

My note 2 on 4.3 has been showing various errors since last 1 month...

1. It started with some processes not working. Click on ok and it goes away only to come back repeatedly.

2. I did a factory reset and everything was ok. Then after a week again the same thing. Then got stuck on boot screen and then after next factory reset it got stuck on upgrading apps screen over and over again.

3. Currently after working fine for a week it keeps giving me unfortunately process.gapps has stopped.

Anyone went through same or has an idea of whats going on and what is causing these errors.

How can I resolve this ?

Thanks,

Rana.
I guess it is facing the typical 'Touchwiz Syndrome' I've seen it with my Note 8.0 with the exact same hardware. Usually factory resets do the trick just fine; but maybe your phone still doesn't behave. Other options are flashing the official firmware manually, or the service center.
But if you don't really use the S-pen apps, I'd suggest going custom.
The Note 2 has solid custom support, and any stock Android Marshmallow ROM would make an unbelievable difference to the usage experience. Further, installing a custom ROM is an absolute cakewalk on Samsung devices due to Odin. No ADB commands, locked bootloaders and stuff.
And among the custom ROM's too, the best one has to be Resurrection Remix Marshmallow. Insane list of features, most actually useful. And they suppport the Note 2 officially. So it should be quite stable, and it'll get OTA updates too.
Here's a small demo video of the same (the phone boots post 6:00)

Last edited by mukul32 : 29th January 2016 at 02:03.
Old 29th January 2016, 08:57   #22779
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad has been using the Moto X play since last 6 months and the phone has been working great. But for some weird reason, the camera pictures from a particular day have all gone black i.e. I can see only black thumbnails instead of the pics. Downloaded file manager and even that does not show the pictures from that date. What could have happened?
Old 29th January 2016, 09:43   #22780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
I'm buying a new Motorola Nexus 6 and would love recommendations for solid, sturdy cases for the same! Any suggestions?
This is what I use :

http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus...ant=1181939909

You can buy this on eBay or Amazon. This is an excellent mode and better than the Spigen cases I have on my other Androids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Personal opinion only, but stereo speakers on handheld devices have become a huge nuisance over the last few years. There have been instances on flights, trains and other public transport where I've had to ask people to stop the infernal noise or have the decency to use a pair of ear/headphones.
+1 But this ability to cause a nuisance runs deep in this country. When was the last time you saw a considerate and courteous driver on the road? People think they have a right to drive, without the attendant obligations to follow rules.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th January 2016 at 09:47.
Old 29th January 2016, 19:02   #22781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Have to agree. I have stereo speakers on my phone and rarely hear the separation in sound. What matters more to me are front firing speakers than stereo.
Does anybody here go for better-than-native sound (I hesitate to use the word "audiophile" )?

I had only partial success with Android and external DACs before, and, today, hit upon the idea of using a different OTG adapter cable. Experiment featured the LH-Labs Geek Out V1 450 and my Moto Play X (Marshmallow, 6.0). Listening was through my Sennheiser HD600s, although during the purely techie session of messing with cables and stuff, having them on the desk and hearing if any sound was coming, which is hardly listening. The player is USB Audio PlayerPro, which comes with its own USB drivers.

After deciding that my cheap, local-shop adapter might be the culprit (I had had problems with several devices, all supposed to work) I tried a different cable and found not only that everything was playing, (got that far before) but that it went on playing!

All was well and good, except this is a fairly power-hungry beastie of a tiny DAC, and battery was not going to last long (installed Ampere to monitor power situation) so, time for the powered hub.

The powered hub is a Plugable. This is a new beastie, as the wall wart for the old one [I thought*] had got spoiled in the flood. Disappointment; device (DAC plugged into the hub) not recognised at all. No Go,

Hmmm... wonder what happens if I plug a thumb drive into the hub? At first, no go again, and big disapointment (this is not a cheap hub). Then I get some questions about allowing device access to USB. I say yes. I see the thumb drive in ES file explorer.

Again Hmmm... wonder what happens if I try the DAC now? Ha Ha! It works! And Ampere is confirming that it is drawing its power from the hub, not the phone.

Yeah Ho! Now, so long as I am prepared to carry the kit around (no problem: I never travel light) I can be a hotel-room audiophile! Or, even... listen to music in bed.

Confession: I haven't really tried the direct headphone out for comparison. It might sound very good through decent headphones... but it it wouldn't be audiophile. Not nearly enough fuss! Well, I was up for the technical challenge of seeing if the various bits worked together, anyway. And I'd bet at least Rs.5 that it does sound better --- even though I found direct analogue to my travel Noontec 'phones, from my tablet, perfectly acceptable last time I did travel.

*I was using the wrong wall wart. Recognised the right one, today, and it is alive, so I have an extra hub . One day, I'll find out what the dead wart was for.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th January 2016 at 19:07.
Old 29th January 2016, 19:45   #22782
Senior - BHPian

I got a general query.
I am thinking of buying the Le 1s from LeEco which just launched in India. Specs wise the phone fulfills all my needs and the reviews on you tube have been really positive.

Now, my concern is it has C port Usb charging. As per my understanding it's a new technology and found in few phones like Nexus new models. However, how can I use other chargers which has USB 2.0 with this phone and also the main thing how will I do the car charging as I can't find a specific C port car charger in Indian online sites.
Old 29th January 2016, 20:00   #22783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I got a general query.

Now, my concern is it has C port Usb charging. As per my understanding it's a new technology and found in few phones like Nexus new models. However, how can I use other chargers which has USB 2.0 with this phone and also the main thing how will I do the car charging as I can't find a specific C port car charger in Indian online sites.
One Plus Two has a type C port for charging as well.

To clarify your doubt, the C port is on the phone.
You will receive a charger which has a c port on one side(for the phone) and
a USB on the other side.

So, basically you need not worry. You can use a normal USB adapter for charging even in the car.
Old 30th January 2016, 23:36   #22784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anybody here go for better-than-native sound (I hesitate to use the word "audiophile"
After this sentence, the rest of the terminology in your post pretty much flew off the top of my head, nevertheless I'd like to be known as an audiophile (for whatever my experience is worth). The music I'm into is mostly ambiental, lounge, electronica & trance, i.e music that isn't typically bass heavy and relies on extreme clarity and quality for optimum effect. I do not like loud music either.. I just want a sweet-spot between audibility & clarity and that will definitely get distorted in higher ranges.

In my case what I do is set the DSEE-HX in Walkman player on, this up-scales lower quality music files to high-quality audio range, pretty much like how some televisions upscale to 1080i from 720p. I also enable effects like Club/Theatre depending on type of music I'm listening to. The other thing I did for great music quality is buying a Sony XBA-A1 Balanced Armature earphone, from what I understand this uses a vibrating magnet technology to disperse music (unlike normal earphones which use air), thus it has a proven clarity enhancing technology and has been rated higher than certain Boses and B&Os by audiophile magazines. It also uses air to enhance the bass portions of music (dynamic hybrid driver). This worked for me to get better-than-native music.

Last edited by dark.knight : 30th January 2016 at 23:38.
Old 31st January 2016, 01:51   #22785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
I guess it is facing the typical 'Touchwiz Syndrome' I've seen it with my Note 8.0 with the exact same hardware. Usually factory resets do the trick just fine; but maybe your phone still doesn't behave. Other options are flashing the official firmware manually, or the service center.
But if you don't really use the S-pen apps, I'd suggest going custom.
The Note 2 has solid custom support, and any stock Android Marshmallow ROM would make an unbelievable difference to the usage experience. Further, installing a custom ROM is an absolute cakewalk on Samsung devices due to Odin. No ADB commands, locked bootloaders and stuff.
And among the custom ROM's too, the best one has to be Resurrection Remix Marshmallow. Insane list of features, most actually useful. And they suppport the Note 2 officially. So it should be quite stable, and it'll get OTA updates too.
I am assuming we would need to root the phone before installing this. Any pointers on how to do that? Mine is running on Android Kit Kat 4.4.2

Most Viewed