Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:01   #22921
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@motorworks; I seldom use the 3G connection either. I am an old fashioned chap who is quite happy with the WiFi link to his land connection (fibre in my case). So the data comes in only when out of home, if required.
Old 23rd February 2016, 21:08   #22922
Senior - BHPian

Have any Note 5 users been facing a delay in the s-memo and air command menu when the s-pen is pulled out?

1. When the screen is off and the s-pen is pulled out, it takes anywhere from 15 to 20 seconds for the screen-off s-memo to appear.

2. When the screeen is ON and the s-pen is pulled out, it takes anywhere between 30 to 40 seconds for the device air command menu to appear, only first time around.

I'm pretty sure that the above is not due to a hardware issue. It only happens when the s-pen is pulled out for the first time or after a long time. The second time onwards, when the s-pen is pulled out from the slot, the response is quick (max 2 to 3 seconds).
Its a software glitch for sure, it seems to take forever for the s-memo/air-command to load into memory the first time around.

Its appalling to have the above lag in the first time s-pen response after having such high spec hardware. Everything else is fantastic with this phone including the battery, the Exynos 7420 has turned out to be quite a power efficient chip.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd February 2016 at 21:12.
Old 24th February 2016, 16:36   #22923
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys.. need to transfer my data from Android 5.0 to Android 6.0 (Moto G 3).. Motorola Migrate doesn't help as its not supported by 6.0. Any pointers please?
Old 24th February 2016, 17:42   #22924
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I used to use a set of products to move across the sms'es, contacts, phone list etc. I downloaded them from the 'market'. Also, there are some products which save all these and more to the web from where you can download the lot. I got my htc One m7 ages ago and when I moved to MotoX it was still on Lollipop. What I did find was the Motorola Migrate killed off some contacts.
Old 24th February 2016, 18:55   #22925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Hi guys.. need to transfer my data from Android 5.0 to Android 6.0 (Moto G 3).. Motorola Migrate doesn't help as its not supported by 6.0. Any pointers please?
You can use this for backing up SMS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SBackupRestore
Same developer has call log backup app as well
Old 24th February 2016, 20:21   #22926
Senior - BHPian

Need some advice please. Looking for a dual sim android phone that supports VOLTE to replace my iPhone 5. It's just primarily for emails and some browsing, no applications as such since I have my other iPhone 6 doing all these duties. Now the VoLTE based devices are really less in terms of offering. There is just moto g, Samsung j & A series in the 10-15k range. Was keen on the moto G3, but flip kart is full of reviews where the heating issue is very prominent in the motos.would the Samsung j7 be a safer bet? Or is there any other device which I'm missing out? Your suggestions would help me switch over!
Old 24th February 2016, 20:41   #22927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
...Was keen on the moto G3, but flip kart is full of reviews where the heating issue is very prominent in the motos......
I have the 'older' Moto G3 (non-turbo) version which has a lower spec 720p screen and an S400 series chipset (compared to the turbo version with a full-HD screen and S615 chipset) and my usage is similar to yours (Exchange email via ActiveSync, a few productivity apps plus browsing).

No heating issues or performance glitches in the ~4 months I've had it. Dad has a Moto G2 and I personally think it's much better built than the G3, but that's just me nitpicking.

S615 series chipsets are reportedly prone to heating issues (I have no personal experience of this), while the S400 used to be the mid-range chipset of choice until a year or so ago and is considered reliable.
Old 24th February 2016, 21:02   #22928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some advice please. Looking for a dual sim android phone that supports VOLTE to replace my iPhone 5. It's just primarily for emails and some browsing, no applications as such since I have my other iPhone 6 doing all these duties. Now the VoLTE based devices are really less in terms of offering. There is just moto g, Samsung j & A series in the 10-15k range. Was keen on the moto G3, but flip kart is full of reviews where the heating issue is very prominent in the motos.would the Samsung j7 be a safer bet? Or is there any other device which I'm missing out? Your suggestions would help me switch over!
The Moto E 4G version seems to supports VoLTE after the marshmallow update. So considering minimal usage, it is worth the price.

PS: Do confirm with Moto E users because I had bought the phone 2 weeks ago and returned after a week because it did not support VoLTE with Jio. And now people are saying that VoLTE is enabled after the 6.0 update :banghead:
Old 25th February 2016, 03:21   #22929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have the 'older' Moto G3 (non-turbo) version which has a lower spec 720p screen and an S400 series chipset (compared to the turbo version with a full-HD screen and S615 chipset) and my usage is similar to yours (Exchange email via ActiveSync, a few productivity apps plus browsing).

No heating issues or performance glitches in the ~4 months I've had it. Dad has a Moto G2 and I personally think it's much better built than the G3, but that's just me nitpicking.

S615 series chipsets are reportedly prone to heating issues (I have no personal experience of this), while the S400 used to be the mid-range chipset of choice until a year or so ago and is considered reliable.

Hey thanks for the feedback. Like you said the regular G3 seems to be the best bet. I'm only hoping I don't get stuck with one of those android devices that keep having one issue or the other.
Old 25th February 2016, 12:04   #22930
BHPian

Please suggest as I am looking to buy an android for my wife who has the followings needs.

tough phone - yes our kid gets naughty at times
good camera with flash & selfie options
Reasonable computing & storage
Got to be fast
Stock android if possible- no fat custo's please
Long life - 3-5 years if possible with OS upgradation support (can root later if needed)
& yes stylish too

I like hihonors motos lenovos, but I am not updated on the recent developments. Is micromax Yu really a good buy
Old 25th February 2016, 13:40   #22931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post

I like hihonors motos lenovos, but I am not updated on the recent developments. Is micromax Yu really a good buy
Depending on your budget go for a moto e, g, x play or style. Micromax yu have bad reports and cannot be used for 3-4 years. Software support is also patchy. Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2016, 14:37   #22932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Depending on your budget go for a moto e, g, x play or style. Micromax yu have bad reports and cannot be used for 3-4 years. Software support is also patchy. Hope this helps.
Appreciate the quick reply. I'm looking for a sub 10,000 phone. moto x is to my liking but over-the-budget. can stretch a 2k more if the phone is very convincing.
Old 25th February 2016, 15:02   #22933
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the quick reply. I'm looking for a sub 10,000 phone. moto x is to my liking but over-the-budget. can stretch a 2k more if the phone is very convincing.
Moto G and Moto G turbo are the best bets for you. Moto G turbo has fast charging and a better chipset. You won't go wrong with both and this phone runs the latest android M. I used a moto g gen 1 for 1.5yrs and it was a pleasant experience.
Old 25th February 2016, 15:03   #22934
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for a sub 10,000 phone. moto x is to my liking but over-the-budget. can stretch a 2k more if the phone is very convincing.
I don't see Xiaomi in your list. Is it because of UI or hardware or both?
My dad is using the Mi 3 for the last 1.5 years and he is very happy with it. No issues of lags like Samsung. Still pretty nifty.

Only thing I ain't sure whether it will last 3 to 4 years. If you are OK with the brand, wait till 3rd March for launch of MI Redmi Note 3. Spec's are pretty good and phone should be good too as my wife is using the Redmi Note 1 for the last one year and she too is very happy with Xiaomi.

Last edited by pareshraheja : 25th February 2016 at 15:06. Reason: Corrected a Spelling
Old 25th February 2016, 15:35   #22935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Moto Migrate is not supported on Android 6.0 because those very features got baked right in.

Start any 6.0 Android phone for the first time and Google itself will help you transfer EVERYTHING from your old phone.
Including the placement of icons on your old phone.
Did it for Dad's Moto G Turbo.
Transferred from Nexus 5.

Most Viewed