Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2016, 15:51   #22936
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
I don't see Xiaomi in your list. Is it because of UI or hardware or both?
My dad is using the Mi 3 for the last 1.5 years and he is very happy with it. No issues of lags like Samsung. Still pretty nifty.

Only thing I ain't sure whether it will last 3 to 4 years. If you are OK with the brand, wait till 3rd March for launch of MI Redmi Note 3. Spec's are pretty good and phone should be good too as my wife is using the Redmi Note 1 for the last one year and she too is very happy with Xiaomi.
Oh, That's something i took for granted being Chinese. But my perception too is changing with field reports like the one which you have shared. . I'll wait for the redmi launch.
Old 25th February 2016, 16:32   #22937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Appreciate the quick reply. I'm looking for a sub 10,000 phone. moto x is to my liking but over-the-budget. can stretch a 2k more if the phone is very convincing.
Moto G3 - 2GB ram and stock android experience.

To be honest, the only specs worth consideration for a phone are chipset and ram. Nexus range was fantastic till nexus 5 since they were putting money where it actually mattered, i.e. chipset and ram.

As someone pointed out earlier, moto g3 has a med range chipset, maybe not as fast as 800 series but good to get the work done. 2GB ram should keep you covered while juggling between applications. Plus another advantage with Moto is the F2FS file system which is faster than ext4. Stock android now is fairly user friendly so I'd not really want to go for customization unless it really takes the entire experience to another level. Moreover, with customization such as MIUI, access to new features is fairly delayed.

Last edited by lordvader : 25th February 2016 at 16:34.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:29   #22938
BHPian

I want to know any good app(s) to remove the audio from the video file. Basically, I want to remove the audio from the dash-cam recorded video files before uploading/sharing. I searched the PlayStore and see lot of apps available, with most of them having very bad reviews. So, i appreciate if any one here using good android app and would like to know the same.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:32   #22939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
As someone pointed out earlier, moto g3 has a med range chipset, maybe not as fast as 800 series but good to get the work done. 2GB ram should keep you covered while juggling between applications. Plus another advantage with Moto is the F2FS file system which is faster than ext4. Stock android now is fairly user friendly so I'd not really want to go for customization unless it really takes the entire experience to another level. Moreover, with customization such as MIUI, access to new features is fairly delayed.
Hi lordvader, Pretty much agree with you. I'd say display too is an important criterion for smartphone. I am a content moto g2 user, had bought it at 12 am midnight of the release date. Just want to try something else. So no g3.

Why is no one talking about Lenovo? I see a lot of pickers. Are they really happy with it? How is K4 note?
Old 26th February 2016, 10:32   #22940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I want to know any good app(s) to remove the audio from the video file. Basically, I want to remove the audio from the dash-cam recorded video files before uploading/sharing. I searched the PlayStore and see lot of apps available, with most of them having very bad reviews. So, i appreciate if any one here using good android app and would like to know the same.
If you're uploading to youtube, you can do it on the site itself.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:33   #22941
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT: Anyone having a Nexus 7 2012 tablet here? Can anyone recommend a Kitkat based ROM for it?
Old 26th February 2016, 10:37   #22942
BHPian

Quote:
I think VLC is what you need. Quite a geeky tool for editors. It's mostly done offline using batch scripts. Let me check if I can get you some diy links. What is your dashcam video format?

Probably this is how its done in batch. Didn't check this though!

vlc.exe -I dummy MOV03161.mpg --no-sout-audio --sout "#std{access=file,dst=output2.mpg}"

Also see - http://www.guidingtech.com/52911/mut...youtube-video/

Last edited by anoop.nair : 26th February 2016 at 10:43. Reason: Enriched the post with more info
Old 26th February 2016, 10:40   #22943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you're uploading to Youtube, you can do it on the site itself.
Thanks for that info. But, i am looking for a standalone app for uploading the video here or to share with my friends.

Quote:
I think VLC is what you need. Quite a geeky tool for editors. It's mostly done offline using batch scripts. Let me check if I can get you some diy links. What is your dashcam video format?
The generated video files are of AVI format. Please let me know how to do it using VLC player.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th February 2016 at 21:07. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:46   #22944
BHPian

Quote:
The generated video files are of AVI format. Please let me know how to do it using VLC player.
Please see my post #22942
Old 26th February 2016, 11:09   #22945
BHPian

Quote:
Hi lordvader, Pretty much agree with you. I'd say display too is an important criterion for smartphone. I am a content moto g2 user, had bought it at 12 am midnight of the release date. Just want to try something else. So no g3.

Why is no one talking about Lenovo? I see a lot of pickers. Are they really happy with it? How is K4 note?
Then my money would be on Xiaomi.. killer specs at a reasonable price. I know a couple of happy Xiaomi users so worth a try. I'd also add Asus to list if it has not been eliminated already.

From what I remember, Lenovo phones use either intel or mediatek chipsets. Based on my due diligence, Qualcomm > mediatek > intel.
Old 26th February 2016, 11:17   #22946
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the quick reply. I'm looking for a sub 10,000 phone. moto x is to my liking but over-the-budget. can stretch a 2k more if the phone is very convincing.
There was recently an offer of 10% cashback on Moto phones on using SBI card, which would have brought Moto G Turbo to 10-11k and Moto G3 to under 10k. So keep an eye out for such offers which come up from time to time. Avoid the Moto E though. My experience was not good with it. Moto G and X range are good.

Redmi is a good alternative to Moto. I haven't used it much myself but i hear that MIUI is one of the better implementations of non-stock Android skins and does not lag like Samsung's UI. They seem to have some competence on software side, since they started off making custom ROMs before they started making phones themselves. I don't know about their build quality so need to do some more research on it.

I will be replacing my Moto G (1st gen) sometime this year. I'm waiting for the next Moto G to be launched after which I will take a decision. Moto G and Xiaomi devices in similar range will probably be the main contenders for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Moto Migrate is not supported on Android 6.0 because those very features got baked right in.

Start any 6.0 Android phone for the first time and Google itself will help you transfer EVERYTHING from your old phone.
Including the placement of icons on your old phone.
Did it for Dad's Moto G Turbo.
Transferred from Nexus 5.
Oh, I was not aware of that. I was initially sad to hear that Moto Migrate was discontinued, since it was such a useful tool, but good to hear that Android has built in that feature.
Old 26th February 2016, 11:29   #22947
BHPian

Quote:

Probably this is how its done in batch. Didn't check this though!

vlc.exe -I dummy MOV03161.mpg --no-sout-audio --sout "#std{access=file,dst=output2.mpg}"

Also see - http://www.guidingtech.com/52911/mut...Youtube-video/
Installed VLC media player and followed the steps as mentioned in that video. I was able to remove the audio using simple steps. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:35   #22948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Slightly OT: Anyone having a Nexus 7 2012 tablet here? Can anyone recommend a Kitkat based ROM for it?
I do, and the update (5.0) has made it all but unusable, finally revered it to 4.4 (Stock) and disabled updates. Its up and running fine now.

O.T

This is what my Nexus 6P says about the battery charging habits.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160227082656-1.png  

Old 27th February 2016, 09:53   #22949
BANNED

Yesterday, I got a maintenance update on my MotoX Style, only about 6MB. Done, smooth installation took about 10-15 min.
Old 27th February 2016, 11:08   #22950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post

This is what my Nexus 6P says about the battery charging habits.
I hope this applies to all recent Android Devices? I have been doing exactly the opposite all this time! The xda developers Moto G group on Facebook suggested me that the more you plug in, the less battery life you get. They advised me to charge to 100%, use the full charge and then charge it again.

Thanks a lot.

Neel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks