Old 17th March 2016, 11:15   #23041
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
No gorilla glass. but it does have some protection
check this link
https://twitter.com/RedmiIndia/statu...90204975751169
Yup - saw that yesterday and to be honest, was pleasantly surprised. So, the phone is indeed build tough.

--Anoop
Old 17th March 2016, 11:22   #23042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
  • MIUI - lot of tweaks and you will not lose your warranty if you root your phone. UI is good - not much bloatware, lot of themes, lot of options to fine tune the experience.

Isn't Xioami is moving away from this model? Here is link explaining the same.

It started with phone sold in China. however with MIUI 7 with Marshmallow ROM I think its applicable to all phone. Its a common complaint Forum that most request for unlock is not honored by Xioami!
Old 17th March 2016, 12:13   #23043
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
[/list]Isn't Xioami is moving away from this model? Here is link explaining the same.

It started with phone sold in China. however with MIUI 7 with Marshmallow ROM I think its applicable to all phone. Its a common complaint Forum that most request for unlock is not honored by Xioami!
Not really.
The difference is: Previously mi devices used to come with an unlocked bootlooder. Now it is locked by default (for the reasons clearly mentioned in the article).
However, you can still unlock the bootloader. Quoting from the link you sent
Quote:
Isn't locking bootloader against Mi's 'geek' spirit?
Locking bootloader is aimed to provide better user experience, which we've been trying to do the whole time. In the meantime, we've provided a unlocking tool for senior users who know their ways around flashing and tweaking their devices. (Unlocking Tutorial)

The unlocking process is really simple. After unlocking, the device can do all the things as before we locked bootloader.
Old 17th March 2016, 15:54   #23044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am also interested in 5X but from the reviews I've read it really slows down with multiple apps and the 2GB RAM is a major bummer.

Google released an update last week and has promised fixes for performance. Yet to get confirmation on how it fairs after the update.
I too have had the same feedback. It seems the Nexus 5X chokes lot and I've come to the conclusion that the phone will not be future proof as new and new android os will be rolled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Check etailers, I saw 16gb on Amazon for 24k.
I was strictly considering the 32 GB version.
Old 17th March 2016, 16:18   #23045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
MIUI - lot of tweaks and you will not lose your warranty if you root your phone. UI is good - not much bloatware, lot of themes, lot of options to fine tune the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Isn't Xioami is moving away from this model? Here is link explaining the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Not really.
The difference is: Previously mi devices used to come with an unlocked bootlooder. Now it is locked by default (for the reasons clearly mentioned in the article).
However, you can still unlock the bootloader.
Not, apparently, if you don't use Mi PC tools, and "PC" will be spelt W-i-n-d-o-w-s. This is, indeed, a very disappointing development. Anything that requires Windows is off my list. Whilst I have a licensed copy of WinXP, I am not going to the enormous trouble of setting that up for a phone. Yes, it would be enormous, installing it as second or third OS on a GUID disk: I'd have to start by learning stuff I have no other need to know.

And maybe XP would not be supported anyway. I'm sure as hell not giving any more money to Microsoft for anything more up-to-date.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th March 2016 at 16:19.
Old 17th March 2016, 17:12   #23046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Hi guys,
I had been previously using a samsung Note 2. It died on me due to serious liquid damage.
I am contemplating buying Redmi Note 3 in the flash sale on 16th March.

Worth going for?

Finally got one in flash sale. Dark Grey, 16GB 2GB ROM model. Waiting for delivery.
Old 18th March 2016, 00:17   #23047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I too have had the same feedback. It seems the Nexus 5X chokes lot and I've come to the conclusion that the phone will not be future proof as new and new android os will be rolled out.
Now there's a slight twist to this. Seems google released an update for the NExus 5X earlier this week and this has fixed the performance issues and the crashes. People on reddit are reporting day and night difference in terms of performance with the new update.
Old 19th March 2016, 20:19   #23048
BHPian

Redmi Note 3 Gold 16GB delivered today. I ordered on Wednesday,no signs of shipping till yesterday evening. I nudged xiaomi customer care and was promised escalation. The shipping process was initiated in an hour and it was delivered today morning. People who are ordering take note of this.

Coming back to the phone itself. First impression is that it doesn't look as premium as claimed but good for a 10k phone. The feel of the metal is subjective but I felt it's like chalk screeching on blackboard kind of feel(don't know how to explain). I hope I'll get used to it. First one hour of setup etc heated up the phone like crazy. I was about to iron my shirt with this phone, lol. Network locking takes some time if using 2 sim's. I removed sim tray 2-3 times initially to get a stable reception. Post that no issues. I think it's in run-in period. The display is very good and performance is snappy. Speaker is good and call quality is above average. Camera is from segment above if I may say so.
Will post further experience after a week of usage.
Overall I feel it's a vfm buy and future proof for 2 years at least
Old 20th March 2016, 06:58   #23049
J.Ravi

When I switched on my Lenovo K3 Note this morning, I got a pleasant surprise! Now, my Lenovo K3 Note will upgrade to Android 6.0 Marshmallow from the earlier Android Lollipop 5.1. The file size is 1657 MB and already, 21% downloading is complete.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160320064556301.jpeg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 20th March 2016 at 07:03.

Old 20th March 2016, 14:33   #23050
Distinguished - BHPian

Vital piece of advice missing: please make sure your battery is fully charged!

I am not a great one for upgrades just to be able to sport a higher version number on a device, but I do like Marshmallow, and can see no reason to remain with 5 where 6 is available. The mileage and opinions of other may vary
Old 20th March 2016, 16:07   #23051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am not a great one for upgrades just to be able to sport a higher version number on a device, but I do like Marshmallow, and can see no reason to remain with 5 where 6 is available. The mileage and opinions of other may vary
Is NOT this self-contradictory?
Old 20th March 2016, 21:02   #23052
BHPian

Any reports on how the Killer Note is reacting to Marshmallow? I'm staying away till I get positive reports. Because mine is doing just fine right now.
Old 20th March 2016, 21:24   #23053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is NOT this self-contradictory?
On further consideration, you could be right... Maybe it should have been "But I do like Marshmallow..."

Oh, wait... it is already!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th March 2016 at 21:26.
Old 20th March 2016, 22:46   #23054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The news about Motorola going the Lenovo path with the Vibe UI is disturbing! I did not know about that and now that leaves only Nexus as the options for those looking back at stock Android.
That news came from an interview that one of the Lenovo guys gave to a chinese magazine and there was some misinterpretation / translation issues which led to the confusion. It was also misconstrued that moto g and moto e would be discontinued. later it was clarified that the UI changes were specific to chinese market (where google services don't work) and moto g/e will continue.

Other concerns remain about the direction Lenovo will take with the Moto lineup, but at this point it's mostly rumours, so i will wait and watch how it goes and hope they don't disappoint us with this year's launches.
Old 20th March 2016, 23:43   #23055
BHPian

Does anybody here using Google Maps know how to decrease the level of details shown during navigation even after zooming out?Thing is, I like to have a view of my destination pin on the screen. But the moment I tap recenter, the map zooms in(shown in 2nd screenshot). Is it possible to have a lower level of detail at low zoom levels?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160320135348.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20160320135352.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks