Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2016, 21:35   #23821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
@mukul32 and @sajo, how is the G4 Plus holding up? There a lot of reviews which suggest that the phone is not for a heavy user. And the recent lot seems to have some issues. I am seriously looking at the OPX and Zuk Z1 now. Barring the issues, the G4+ seems to be just perfect for me.
Neel
Well it has been perfectly fine for a 'light' user like me. I suppose you are quoting Ranjit and Ash's reviews there. The thing is, the flaws you see in the G4 are apparent flaws, which may or may not be there, and could be fixed with updates if there at all (the HTC A9 uses a 617 and stays very cool). The only real flaw in the Moto is the lack of magnetic sensor.
And I didn't recommend the G4 because it was perfect. It's not. But it's relatively speaking the best v compromise between latest and greatest.

The other two have a few serious flaws in them. The OPX shouldn't even make a shortlist right now. What does it have over the others? A compact glass body and an AMOLED display. That's it. The 801 can't be considered a positive anymore. The battery is really small. You don't have a fingerprint reader. Or fast charging of any sort. There is just 16GB of storage. And a buggy OxygenOS preloaded, with questionable official support. It is actually worse than the OPO in any way you could think of. The XDA support isn't even a patch on the OPO either.

The ZUK makes for a far better case, except that it still runs Lollipop, has USB-C, and no SD card slot (try getting stuck into recovery with the phone wiped!). There is that option of on-screen/off-screen buttons and other stuff though. There is a huge battery but the actual battery life isn't something too remarkable. The XDA page does show good support however. It is also well built and the metal feels good to hold.

You could keep the ZUK high up in the options list. But I personally would still buy the Moto. The screen, camera and GPU are all a notch better. There is still good old micro USB. But the most important part is the software package. The Moto has perfectly vanilla Android with all Google stock apps (not the barebones AOSP rubbish you get in Cyanogen and custom ROMs), gets updates way faster than a Cyanogen or Oxygen phone ever will and is set for the next two generations of the OS. No better peace of mind than that. Zero bloatware too. Basically it doesn't even need an AOSP based custom ROM till the support is in. And the Moto features and gestures are just wonderful. I can't recall the number of times I've used the double chop and double twist gestures on my phone and they've been perfect every single time. So has been Moto display. That's the kind of stuff that adds value to the phone, and makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 26th June 2016, 06:21   #23822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Hmmm... your are definitely anxious to hold the beauty. Handling is good, comfy. It's slippery. Better use a case. I ordered carbon case from OnePlus and it's very sleek. Ordered tempered glass from OnePlus pretty decent. No tempered would protect the full since sides are curved. Like on iPhone you don't get full end to end coverage in tempered glass.
Which case did you buy, I am unable to find a good one. Please share.
Old 26th June 2016, 09:49   #23823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Which case did you buy, I am unable to find a good one. Please share.
I bought Karbon case and tpu.

OnePlus 3 Karbon Case https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01GCTAPWK/..._YD1BxbK3EE7VY

FOSO(TM) Oneplus Three Silicon Transparent Flexible with Protective Shock Proof Corner [Oneplus 3] https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01H1WBPN0/..._.E1BxbHMM7TGQ
Old 26th June 2016, 23:15   #23824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The Moto has perfectly vanilla Android with all Google stock apps (not the barebones AOSP rubbish you get in Cyanogen and custom ROMs), gets updates way faster than a Cyanogen or Oxygen phone ever will and is set for the next two generations of the OS.
I'm just curious. What Google stock apps that you get with a Moto is not available for AOSP based ROMs? I thought you can always get them from play store.
Old 26th June 2016, 23:53   #23825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I'm just curious. What Google stock apps that you get with a Moto is not available for AOSP based ROMs? I thought you can always get them from play store.
You obviously can. But that was not the point. In the ROM's you have to keep disabling apps and get the replacements. Stuff like clock, launcher, keyboard, etc can't even be disabled that easily. There are lots of ROMs where third party camera apps don't work, or drop in quality.
I mean, there are workarounds for almost everything, and having full GApps packages even replaces a lot of the stock AOSP apps, but then those in turn may sometimes have DPI issues and crashes and other stuff. Wastage of storage is another point.
I mean, for a rooted phone to get it closer to the pure experience it can be worked out, but ultimately just having them preloaded as part of a stable stock firmware is the best option I'd say.

Last edited by mukul32 : 26th June 2016 at 23:59.
Old 27th June 2016, 01:18   #23826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
...The only real flaw in the Moto is the lack of magnetic sensor...
How bad is this miss? I am a person who relies pretty heavily on the Here maps (on Windows phone now) and this one software has been a boon on my drives.

I, however, read that the absence of Magnetic sensor alone wouldn't hamper the maps usage. Been postponing the buy as I still don't have much clarity on this piece.

Redmi Note3 felt heavy and as per reviews, G4 Plus has better cam and hence inclined towards it. My budget is 15K as I think anything beyond it is an extravaganza which I don't want to indulge in (due to the threats of breaking the mobile due to slips or getting it stolen).

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
...Also, I believe moto/lenovo is now shipping chargers with a lower rating now. I received a 5v 1.6A charger with mine. 12V 1.2A in the turbo mode...
What's the difference (advantage / disadvantage) with this new charger?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th June 2016 at 01:22.
Old 27th June 2016, 01:47   #23827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How bad is this miss? I am a person who relies pretty heavily on the Here maps (on Windows phone now) and this one software has been a boon on my drives.
I, however, read that the absence of Magnetic sensor alone wouldn't hamper the maps usage. Been postponing the buy as I still don't have much clarity on this piece.
Unfortunately, I can't comment on this part as I haven't used my phone for navigation yet. Nor do I feel the need to use it in the recent future, as I am not from a metro or a very big city. I would suggest you check out the same in reviews or forums where people are likely to mention their experience. I will keep a lookout myself, and will pass on any details I spot.
But I don't feel an OEM like Motorola (or even Lenovo themselves for that matter) would hamper a basic utility like navigation in a global release phone at this price point. I'd like to believe navigation would still work pretty okay. But let's wait for actual performance rather than mere assumptions.
EDIT: Found this video demonstrating navigation on the Moto G4+. Should help to give an idea I hope.
Quote:
What's the difference (advantage / disadvantage) with this new charger?
The old charger charges the phone extremely fast, but it gets quite hot while charging.
The newer one would perhaps charge the phone somewhat slower, but reduce this heating as well. The new one also comes with a removable USB cable. A lot of my friends have got these units with new chargers, and have been happy with it.
Also, there is a slight difference in the display, but that is not due to different hardware, but due to different settings in the stock kernel. Again, in real life it isn't even noticeable and the new one looks very good by itself.

Last edited by mukul32 : 27th June 2016 at 02:06.
Old 27th June 2016, 02:01   #23828
Senior - BHPian

Moto G4 is better than the Lenovo ZUK Z1.
I know we talk about CM and other custom roms, but the Moto's software is so good that there's no point in installing any custom roms in the phone for atleast a year.

Quote:
I can't recall the number of times I've used the double chop and double twist gestures on my phone and they've been perfect every single time. So has been Moto display. That's the kind of stuff that adds value to the phone, and makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts.
Moto's extra software over the Android is a terrific value add. The features you mentioned above are terrific.
Old 27th June 2016, 02:21   #23829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
the Moto's software is so good that there's no point in installing any custom roms in the phone for atleast a year.
Could not understand this part of your observation sir. What situation would warrant a need for custom rom after a year and also, not before that?
Old 27th June 2016, 04:25   #23830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
What situation would warrant a need for custom rom after a year and also, not before that?
Ah, don't call me Sir.

I try to install custom roms as soon as I get bored of original firmware. A person used to custom roms will wait only a little time before he starts experimenting.
Old 27th June 2016, 11:45   #23831
BHPian

Quote:
Could not understand this part of your observation sir. What situation would warrant a need for custom rom after a year and also, not before that?
Usually people install custom ROMs because:
1. OEM installs custom skin which they don't like
2. OEM installs bloatware
3. OEM does not provide software updates
4. They like to experiment with custom ROMs

For Moto phones, the first 3 points don't really apply, since they don't add bloatware, use the stock android skin and are generally good with software updates. So there is no real need to install custom ROMs unless you want to experiment. Installing custom ROMs will void your warranty, so it makes sense not to do that in the first year. But when it is older, and Moto stops supporting that phone, you can install custom ROMs to get the latest features. For example, my Moto G 1st gen did not get updated to Android Marshmallow, but I could install CM13 to get the features from Android M.

Last edited by JonSnow : 27th June 2016 at 11:48.
Old 27th June 2016, 12:20   #23832
Senior - BHPian

Received my OnePlus 3 on Friday evening, within about 6 hours of placing the order on Amazon India. Cost- 27,999 INR. The device is an absolute beast performance wise, smooth and fluid as silk. The edge to edge screen is stunningly gorgeous, I really don't know what some people are on about the screen being just Full HD and not Quad HD. Colours are vibrant, pin sharp images and text, superb to watch videos as well. Sound quality is pretty good, at par with my iPod. Camera is also very good, though low light performance is yet to be tested. Outdoor performance is superb.

Lastly, the minimalist sleek design just makes me overjoyed, what with so many over the top designs doing the rounds nowadays. Its like a finely crafted beauty of glass and aluminium.Just lovely.

Overall, very happy with the phone
Old 27th June 2016, 14:25   #23833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post

For Moto phones, the first 3 points don't really apply, since they don't add bloatware, use the stock android skin and are generally good with software updates. ... ... ...
Bloatware is in the eye of the perceiver! There are Moto-specific apps, although I don't find them to be a problem. There are more google apps, supplied as standard system apps that I don't want.

It is easy not to like the "stock" (Google Now) "skin," or to find that it doesn't have features that one wants --- but this doesn't require a custom rom. it doesn't even need rooting to install a different launcher. Nova is hugely superior to Google Now (in my eye, at least).

NB: I am using the stock rom, on Moto X Play, but rooted.
Old 27th June 2016, 14:32   #23834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

It is easy not to like the "stock" (Google Now) "skin," or to find that it doesn't have features that one wants --- but this doesn't require a custom rom. it doesn't even need rooting to install a different launcher. Nova is hugely superior to Google Now (in my eye, at least).
I did not like the Google launcher on my Moto G4 plus which I bought on the launch day and immediately installed Asus launcher (I was using Zenfone 2 prior to Moto G4 and like their home launcher) and it works absolutely fine on my G4 plus.

Also, I have installed contacts, calling app & file manager apps from Asus.
Old 27th June 2016, 14:50   #23835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Quote:
For removing bloatware, one doesn't need to go down the custom rom route. Unlocked boot loader and rooting should do the trick. In case of Moto devices, user has to request unlock key which would void the warranty. Earlier, it was easy to switch between stock and rooted without voiding warranty, since no such requests had to be placed.

Custom roms, besides giving the latest and greatest version of android, also allow the user to get several custom features with out having to install too many apps. Stability, yes, is a concern some times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nova is hugely superior to Google Now (in my eye, at least).

NB: I am using the stock rom, on Moto X Play, but rooted.
I agree, Nova launcher is definitely much better than stock launchers, both google and MIUI. Stable with lot of customizations. Another one that I really liked was Action 3 launcher, innovative to say the least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks