Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2016, 16:41   #23866
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been eyeing the z5 compact but doesn't seem to be any news on launch here. Also been looking at the moto x force Ina couple of months with a price drop.

The moto g3 turbo... When I search it either shows moto g turbo, or moto g3... Which one... Or is this a variant I can't find?
Old 29th June 2016, 17:04   #23867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My wait for a decent 5 inch phone with a good battery life, fingerprint scanner and 3 Gb ram continues.
Did you check the Vivo V3?

I don't own one, but I remember seeing your post and then saw the Ad in newspapers today, so thought of writing here!

V3 max is a 5.5 incher, which is not your preference, however, V3 is 5", has a HD display and comes with a finger print sensor.

The phone's got some good reviews when I was checking it out on Amazon!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 29th June 2016 at 17:05.
Old 29th June 2016, 19:41   #23868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yeah, thats a problem. It has to be a Sony. A little OCD on that.
What about the Z3+??
Z3+ should be better, though old IMO. Just compare specwise. Plus added benefit of water resistant. xa may have dual sim and mediatek processor. Being flagship it shall receive update.
My xperia ZR (i.e. z compact ) 3 year old (for last one year being used by wife and daughter at home for youtube and whatsapp) still receives updates. It also served me well for 2 years. It even served me in water resort photography though i would not encourage you to immerse z3+ in pool.
Old 29th June 2016, 22:05   #23869
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ordered the Moto G4 Plus. Thanks a lot to mukul32, landcruiser123, sajo and phamilyman.
Old 29th June 2016, 23:19   #23870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yeah, thats a problem. It has to be a Sony. A little OCD on that. What about the Z3+??
I believe I can be of greatest help here, and may I also applaud your choice of brand for a change.. well you know why.

I think the Z3+ is a great model (it has overheating issues but only under demanding situations like gaming and 4K recording), but you should give this one a pass. The XA is much better built, lighter and easier to hold and it also comes with the latest Android out of the box if that helps. I have not had a chance to inspect the X Series as yet but as a 3-in-a-row Sony phone user I can vouch for the fact that with each generation they improve the models in one way or another, be it build quality, optimization, camera or simply any feature that makes life easier. XA should be no different.

The Z Series would be slightly better though in terms of specifications and camera resolution.. also they are water/dust-resistant by default. If those are important and I think they are, you could get a good deal on a Z3 if it is still around. If you can expand your budget there's nothing like the Z5, having used it for 6 months in all manner of ways I can say it came out tops everytime.. the camera is fantastic, the water resistance is no lie, it is the best built Z phone ever (3 accidental drops and not a scratch) and feels premium in every square-mm.

In summary -
XA - for latest of Sony, good product support and excellent VFM. This is my pick given the price constraint. Lack of IP68 & IP65 (water and dust resistance) is a bit of a downer but the phone can handle light showers I suppose as the Xperia X survived a full 2 minutes dunked in water without the above ratings.
Z3 - for a still supported Sony phone (you can upgrade to the next Android for sure), good value but slightly outdated phone. Flagship specs nonetheless.
Z3+ - If all you do is simple browsing, video watching, some texting and usual calls then there is not much concern for heating problems at all (as I understood from someone who has it)
Z5 - The ultimate, comes at a price but worth every bit of it.
M5 - If its still available it makes a fantastic value proposition, though the processor is far from flagship performance.

Last edited by dark.knight : 29th June 2016 at 23:35.
Old 29th June 2016, 23:22   #23871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Did you check the Vivo V3?

I don't own one, but I remember seeing your post and then saw the Ad in newspapers today, so thought of writing here!

V3 max is a 5.5 incher, which is not your preference, however, V3 is 5", has a HD display and comes with a finger print sensor.

The phone's got some good reviews when I was checking it out on Amazon!
Thanks for the suggestion.
The Vivo V3 meets my basic requirements though the 2500 mah battery is definitely a concern.

Now, I see it is priced very high (>16K) but I don't see any reason for the pricing. Is Vivo some premium brand offering exceptional build quality or the camera quality is excellent? There has to be some USP else I don't see anyone purchasing this device.
It is offering a 720p screen in today's world for a phone costing more than 16K when we can get very good 1080p displays available at 10k. The screen:body ratio is also pretty poor at 68%. The chipset is also mediocre and nothing to write home about. I see absolutely no value in this offering unless there is some USP which I am missing.

Also, most of the amazon reviews are fake. If you read through those, you will see most reviews have very similar content, clearly copy-paste stuff.

The latest Sony offerings have been a huge letdown. So, if someone wants to buy a Sony phone, please look at the older Z series ones. Much better value for money.
Old 29th June 2016, 23:55   #23872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Ordered the Moto G4 Plus. Thanks a lot to mukul32, landcruiser123, sajo and phamilyman.
Congratulations Neel. Hope it is in black. White looks quite decent, but black is just better, and that microphone hole on the front hides well on the black model.
And if it indeed is black, you would be the EIGHTH friend of mine (and that's not including myself!) to have the exact same phone! How about that?!
Also, there's a certain something for us. GeekyRanjit did a gaming review on the regular G4 and found it to perform perfectly normally with the temperatures always staying under the 42-43° mark (38-39 at back panel) despite lots of heavy gaming. (The same SoC performs even better thermally on the HTC A9.)
And as far as I know, a fingerprint sensor and a laser AF module aren't things that'd raise temperatures by 5-6 degrees. The rest of the phones are exactly identical.
We could be in line for a much needed software update sometime I should think!
Just do one thing for me, will you? Please share the build number of your phone once it arrives.

Last edited by mukul32 : 29th June 2016 at 23:57.
Old 30th June 2016, 03:08   #23873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The moto g3 turbo... When I search it either shows moto g turbo, or moto g3... Which one... Or is this a variant I can't find?
If Moto G Turbo is the phone you're looking for, it isn't known as the G3 turbo as the previous generations never had a 'turbo' edition.

Quote:
Congrats!! Enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Also, most of the amazon reviews are fake. If you read through those, you will see most reviews have very similar content, clearly copy-paste stuff.
All Amazon and most flipkart reviews are absolute BS. I guess company officials just create accounts and write reviews. Amazon should allow us to see review written by people who have purchased the phone.

Quote:
The latest Sony offerings have been a huge letdown.
Sony's mobile division has not been taking center stage for quite some time. Haven't heard a single person go ga-ga about a sony phone in years. I remember a time when there was a craze for sony walkman devices.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:08   #23874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
All Amazon and most flipkart reviews are absolute BS. I guess company officials just create accounts and write reviews. Amazon should allow us to see review written by people who have purchased the phone.
On Amazon only look for Verified Purchase reviews. Not sure about Flipkart as I hardly even open the site.
Old 30th June 2016, 10:40   #23875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I believe I can be of greatest help here, and may I also applaud your choice of brand for a change.. well you know why.
------SNIP------flagship performance.
Thanks.
I have always been a sucker for Xperias since the X1. I know theyre overpriced for what they have inside, but really beautiful phones. As i said, sucker.
Anyway, The Z5 is out. For my usage, it doesnt make sense to spend so much. I had a Z1, now a t2, and the t2 was ample for my needs(Calls, messages,Camera, FB, TBHP App and some browsing). Just for the sake of change, I suddenly find the T2 too big.. Precisely the reason why I bought it in the first place.
I think I'll pop out for the XA. it seems sufficient. Or at the most the z3+ if I can find one.
Thanks!
Old 30th June 2016, 13:44   #23876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Congratulations Neel. Hope it is in black. White looks quite decent, but black is just better, and that microphone hole on the front hides well on the black model.
And if it indeed is black, you would be the EIGHTH friend of mine (and that's not including myself!) to have the exact same phone! How about that?!
Also, there's a certain something for us. GeekyRanjit did a gaming review on the regular G4 and found it to perform perfectly normally with the temperatures always staying under the 42-43° mark (38-39 at back panel) despite lots of heavy gaming. (The same SoC performs even better thermally on the HTC A9.)
And as far as I know, a fingerprint sensor and a laser AF module aren't things that'd raise temperatures by 5-6 degrees. The rest of the phones are exactly identical.
We could be in line for a much needed software update sometime I should think!
Just do one thing for me, will you? Please share the build number of your phone once it arrives.
Thanks! It is indeed black...

This is what greeted me today...
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-capture.png

When I saw yesterday that the delivery had been delayed, I contacted Amazon and they told me it was a courier issue and handed me a Rs 100 gift card as apology. Don't know if this is a serious issue or not. Should I cancel and reorder again?

Neel

EDIT: This is what it also says:
Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect courier facility

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 30th June 2016 at 13:46.
Old 30th June 2016, 14:03   #23877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! It is indeed black...

This is what greeted me today...
Not sure if its available in Bardhaman, but Amazon has a same day delivery in a lot of places. Additional cost= Rs. 120. I availed of this when I got my One Plus 3 last Friday, couldn't wait for a week or more after finally deciding to order the device. The 100 bucks spent is totally worth it, especially when the item being ordered is worth several thousand rupees!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th June 2016 at 14:05.
Old 30th June 2016, 14:13   #23878
BHPian

About Sony Xperia Z3 Dual sim.

I had a soft side for Sony when hunting for a replacement phone last year. June to be precise. My brother was using Z3 compact for a while, so I like Z3's construction.

Xperia Z3 dual fit the bill, awesome battery, water proof, dual sim. Was slightly larger and heavier for my liking, but the other features made me overlook that.

But unfortunately after 6 months of usage, the top right corner of the screen started peeling off. I was lucky to have noticed this. Contacted the Sony care center, they replaced the device. (It had one year warranty).
I patted myself for having chosen Sony.

Strangely my brother's phone too had a similar problem. He noticed it a lot later. because of the peeling, some sensor was undone and his screen failed to light up after a call. So he has to wait for the other person to cut the call to get the screen on.
[He wasn't as lucky as me, Sony India said it was from inappropriate user handling, he had to pay to get the issue fixed. They had replaced the screen.]

And now, about 2 weeks back, the issue resurfaced on my replacement phone as well. I rushed to the Sony center as the warranty expires on 16th June'2016.

They have accepted the phone, but this time, they are trying to replace the screen, they are not dolling new devices... :(
And it has been two weeks now, they haven't been able to source the screen yet.

So my advice.

Sony has a heating issue, so if you are a heavy user. For eg: into taking lot of photos back to back, or into making long phone calls, or into a lot of gaming, Xperia Z series might not be the one for you.

In an attempt to make the device waterproof, they might be covering up air-vents which otherwise might have helped in cooling the phone.

I feel it is the heat that is undoing the gum that is holding the screen with the body.

Ps: It just dawned to me that all this is after I got engaged.... long phone calls is definitely to be blamed.

Edit: Hmm, that turned out to be one long post. Didn't realize it while typing it out.
Adding a few links, about same issue being reported.

Sony forum - Thread 1
Sony forum - Thread 2
XDA forum

Last edited by Spinnerr : 30th June 2016 at 14:17. Reason: Added links
Old 30th June 2016, 14:20   #23879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Say it was the 3GB RAM version please!

Let it not be the 2GB RAM version!!
Old 30th June 2016, 14:25   #23880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Not sure if its available in Bardhaman, but Amazon has a same day delivery in a lot of places. Additional cost= Rs. 120. I availed of this when I got my One Plus 3 last Friday, couldn't wait for a week or more after finally deciding to order the device. The 100 bucks spent is totally worth it, especially when the item being ordered is worth several thousand rupees!
Unfortunately, that's not available in here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Say it was the 3GB RAM version please!

Let it not be the 2GB RAM version!!
It is indeed the 3GB-32GB version!

Neel

Most Viewed