Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2017, 21:18   #25126
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any recommendations for a flagship phone under 5 inches? Preferably 4.5/4.7 inches? No Apple products please. Decent storage, 64 GB at least, a fast phone, no lag or bloat. 45K is the upper mark for the phone's budget.

I got a Samsung A5 2016 edition as a stop-gap arrangement and don't really like the size and a bit of lag. Battery life and camera is good.
Old 1st January 2017, 21:47   #25127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any recommendations for a flagship phone under 5 inches? Preferably 4.5/4.7 inches? No Apple products please. Decent storage, 64 GB at least, a fast phone, no lag or bloat. 45K is the upper mark for the phone's budget.

I got a Samsung A5 2016 edition as a stop-gap arrangement and don't really like the size and a bit of lag. Battery life and camera is good.

My pick from the current lot is the Galaxy S7. Its display is at 5.1", but doesnt feel particularly bigger.

Comes with a top of the line processor from Samsung, along with one of the best cameras in the business.

Its a pity that Samsung doesn't offer the edge variant in smaller size anymore. The S6 edge was just perfect.
Old 1st January 2017, 21:50   #25128
BHPian

Quote:

Very few companies make 5 inch or less phones in Android and that too with flagship features.

Below comes to mind;

Sony Xperia X
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
Sony Xperia X Performance (guess it is not yet launched)
Google Pixel

Think you should check out Xperia X which is available at 30k if you are not averse to Sony.

Edit: All these phones are 5 inches, I don't know if you get an Android phone below 5 inch now a days.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 1st January 2017 at 21:51.
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:11   #25129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

HTC10? Couple of biker buddies (Amit ved / sanket) moved over from iOS and are happy campers.

Why not the 6S 64 GB in that price? I got the same for wife and she's really happy coming over from android.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:27   #25130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post

Its a pity that Samsung doesn't offer the edge variant in smaller size anymore. The S6 edge was just perfect.
How would the S6 edge be when compared to S7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

Think you should check out Xperia X which is available at 30k if you are not averse to Sony.

Edit: All these phones are 5 inches, I don't know if you get an Android phone below 5 inch now a days.

KK
Thanks. I will check out the Xperia X.

Why are manufacturers averse to making phones in the sizes between 4 and 5 inches? Beats me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Why not the 6S 64 GB in that price? I got the same for wife and she's really happy coming over from android.
While updating, the phone went into iTunes/store mode and it had to have a seamless connection which is simply not possible at my place (despite having broadband)
If iPhone, there is the 5SE, I just don't like the 6.

How would the S6 edge fare against S7? If Pixel were available in 4.5 inch at somewhere around 40, I would have picked it up.
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:02   #25131
BHPian

Quote:
How would the S6 edge be when compared to S7?
The S6 Edge obviously has the edge screen as compared to the regular S7, both have the same screen otherwise. S7 has waterproofing, expandable storage, a slightly better camera, better processor and more RAM.

I have been using the S6 edge and it's a solid phone overall, the only thing I miss is the expandable storage and it's ~15k cheaper than the S7.

TBH, I'd recommend the HTC 10 if you can handle a 5.2" phone.

Quote:
Why are manufacturers averse to making phones in the sizes between 4 and 5 inches? Beats me...
Because the masses want a big screen phone. Apple resisted for a while but ultimately launched big phones. Sony was doing a good job with it's Z line of phone which offered choices for the consumers without sacrificing flagship specs. But, they've ruined it with the current X line of phones.
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:12   #25132
Senior - BHPian

Ordered a Moto G 4 @10.5k from Amazon for a family member who never uses a fingerprint scanner as I felt it offered better value and balance than the 14k G4 Plus. With Nougat it should offer smoother performance and better battery performance too. Did not opt for the other close contenders like RN3 or 3S (not immediately available off the shelf), Lenovo K6 Note (over priced) or Coolpad Note 5 (untrusted brand).

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd January 2017 at 12:27.
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:04   #25133
BHPian

Ordered a Moto g4 plus from Amazon on 30th Dec. Got it the same day evening. Immediately after switching on the mobile and connecting to internet, got update notification. First was for Marshmallow and then got nougat update . Nougat is smooth but notification volume is somehow less. Battery backup is decent. Please let me know if anyone has further questions.
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:31   #25134
Senior - BHPian

Gents,

which are the smartphones in market having 128GB internal storage. I am aware of 4 models.

1. Samsung S7
2. iphone 7
3. Asus Zenfone
4. Pixel

Zenfone seems VFM, any other good brands apart from Chinese-made Le etc ?
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:48   #25135
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Gents,

which are the smartphones in market having 128GB internal storage.
Zenfone seems VFM, any other good brands apart from Chinese-made Le etc ?
Quick search on gsmarena provides this.

Not all are available in India and I would still suggest Chinese made One Plus 3T as most VFM and close to stock Android, 128GB version which retails at 35K.
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:49   #25136
BHPian

Purchased a Huawei Honor 8 (Gold) phone in the month of October from Flipkart at a discounted price (1K discount), exchange and zero EMI for 3 months. I must say the phone is pretty under-rated for what it offers. I exchanged this phone for Moto X (2nd gen) and I also use an iPhone 5c as a second phone. So what does Honor 8 bring to the table?

1. An extremely fast and fluid performance. It's 2.5 months now since I'm using this phone and I haven't seen any slowdown in its performance. The apps open and close pretty fast without any lags. Surely I experienced whatsapp getting stuck a couple of times and also on a couple of occasions while the apps were being updated, I opened some other app and it got stuck for a couple of seconds till the other apps were updated. So apart from these instances, I did not see any other performance drops.

2. The camera is awesome to say the least and the photos come out pretty crisp and clear. I'm so happy with the performance that for some of my weekend trips I have stopped carrying my DSLR, unless I'm planning to do birding or other similar stuff. For normal photos and selfies, Honor 8 is more than sufficient.

3. I can be classified as someone who is between a medium user and a power user. So it's pretty impressive that the battery lasts nearly 24 hours most of the times. The battery doesn't discharge too much when using 4g and using photos. My Moto X used to consume a lot of battery when clicking photos and my iPhone 5c doesn't last 12 hours if I use it as a primary phone with airtel 4g. So pretty impressed with Honor 8 in this regard. Also the battery % is pretty accurate, was never like that on my Moto X, which used to switch off anytime after 10% and sometimes 15%.

4. The only fly in the ointment is the Huawei's proprietary software, Emotion UI, also known as EMUI. It's not as bad as it seems but it does take a little bit of learning and there are some things that surely require some extra settings such as mobile data and background refresh for apps. But in no way has this bogged down the software performance.

Overall I will say I'm extremely happy with this phone and will rate the experience 9/10. I trusted Honor brand because a friend of mine had purchased Honor 5c in 2014 and also used a Moto G but sold his Moto G before the 5c as this one's still holding its own for him. Also, since my primary requirement was camera performance and battery life, both of which I'm pretty happy about, I didn't think twice before choosing Honor 8 over One Plus 3
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:01   #25137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
4. The only fly in the ointment is the Huawei's proprietary software, Emotion UI, also known as EMUI. It's not as bad as it seems but it does take a little bit of learning and there are some things that surely require some extra settings such as mobile data and background refresh for apps. But in no way has this bogged down the software performance.
If this is your worry, think you should try Nova Launcher once. It is very good with customization options. I am using it on my Moto G4 Plus. Try it for a few days and if you like it, buy the paid version with couple of hundreds, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall.

I have used my wife's Honor Holly (1st generation) and don't like their UI either. But phone is decent enough and it is close to 2 years now and works as good as it was on day one.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 2nd January 2017 at 16:02. Reason: Edit
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:40   #25138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
If this is your worry, think you should try Nova Launcher once. It is very good with customization options. I am using it on my Moto G4 Plus. Try it for a few days and if you like it, buy the paid version with couple of hundreds, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall.

I have used my wife's Honor Holly (1st generation) and don't like their UI either. But phone is decent enough and it is close to 2 years now and works as good as it was on day one.

KK
That's great to know about Holly's performance. I'm not really worried about the UI, I'm used to it now. I've mentioned it for people coming from a pure android experience like Moto or Nexus phones, who want to consider Honor brand of phones.
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:16   #25139
nmo
BHPian

I ordered a Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus (3 Gb variant) from Flipkart on Dec 18th for our maid who had been hassling us to order a phone for her online. My preference was to go for Redmi 3S Prime 2Gb variant as her budget was 6k but that continued to be out of stock for quite some time.

Bit the bullet and ordered Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus as there was Rs 500 discount as well as 10% cashback offered on SBI cards. It costed me Rs 7,199 after the discount and cashback. I intended to subsidise the Rs 1,199 on the top of her 6k budget.

The phone was delivered on Dec 31st but sadly reboots on its own every hour or so. Have tried to install system updates that were available and have also done a Factory reset but that has not helped. Any ideas how this issue can be solved? Thanks in advance.

Have placed a return request with Flipkart but the Customer Service Rep who called seems to be playing games and keen on cancelling the Return Request on some pretext or other. Let us see how this pans out.

We have a Mi5, Redmi Note 3, Asus Zenfone 2 (all 32 gb variants) bought during Diwali sale period that have not given us any issues. This is the first Lenovo that I bought and have been regretting this purchase.
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:22   #25140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo View Post
The phone was delivered on Dec 31st but sadly reboots on its own every hour or so. Have tried to install system updates that were available and have also done a Factory reset but that has not helped. Any ideas how this issue can be solved? Thanks in advance.

Have placed a return request with Flipkart but the Customer Service Rep who called seems to be playing games and keen on cancelling the Return Request on some pretext or other. Let us see how this pans out.
Why take any chance when you know there is an issue with the phone. Keep pestering them with calls everyday for replacement of phone and they will do it on the third day.

This has happened with me with FK. There was a problem of call disconnect with my Asus Zenfone 2 I had bought last year but FK did some diagnosis while connecting online and said the phone was alright and cancelled my replacement request. But I raised a request again and kept on calling them for two days and they replaced without any options.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 3rd January 2017 at 14:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks