Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 14:30   #26506
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Any feedback on Samsung Note8?

Thinking of buying it and getting rid of iPhone 6s plus.
Old 9th October 2017, 19:21   #26507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Android Oreo installed on my Pixel XL. Now to spend some time getting to know the OS better.
How is the phone? Am planning to get a used Pixel XL. Esp battery life?
Old 9th October 2017, 19:37   #26508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
How is the phone? Am planning to get a used Pixel XL. Esp battery life?
So far, so good. No major hassles yet. It's pretty stable.
Old 9th October 2017, 22:47   #26509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Any feedback on the Note 8
I bought it on 22nd September, great phone. Pick it up, you will not regret it.

I was using the iPhone 7, sold it off as got bored with Apple and used a S7 Edge for almost a year before exchanging it for the Note 8.

Note 8 is snappy, absolutely no lag, camera and the screen is superb. 64 gb with expandable storage plus a headphone jack. The S pen takes it to another level and once you get used to it there is no going back to other phones.

This is the most complete phone at the moment.

Cheers
Old 10th October 2017, 19:19   #26510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I raised a complaint with FK stating the issue with the device and rejected their replacement. Now they are just buying time. On 4th I was told to try once again with factory data rest + MIUI update. If it still doesn't work, raise a return again. I did that the same day. Obviously it did not work. Raised a return again same day and yesterday they called again saying no other customer has complained blah blah.

This is a standard text book procedure that they follow for any problem with any phone. The technician also wouldn't be able to do anything.

I also do not think that this can be fixed with a software change. As there is no defect with the phone itself, the chances of getting a refund is pretty slim.

I do not mean to discourage you. I was in the same boat a few months back and I sold the 3S prime to get a 4.

Unfortunately, your options are to choose an alternate operator as a second SIM or just buy another phone.
Old 10th October 2017, 20:45   #26511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I was using the iPhone 7, sold it off as got bored with Apple and used a S7 Edge for almost a year before exchanging it for the Note 8.
The S pen takes it to another level and once you get used to it there is no going back to other phones.

This is the most complete phone at the moment.

Cheers
How do you feel migrating from S7 edge sizewise? Does it feel oversize compared to S7 edge? I have not yet handled Note 8 but S8 plus. It is ok.
I am using Note 4 and thinking of upgrading. Very few times S pen is used especially decorating photos etc. Otherwise I am also considering LG V30 for audio quality because I am going to get a good quality Headphone. Waterproof is important for me.
Old 11th October 2017, 00:18   #26512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
How do you feel migrating from S7 edge sizewise? Does it feel oversize compared to S7 edge? I have not yet handled Note 8 but S8 plus. It is ok.
I am using Note 4 and thinking of upgrading. Very few times S pen is used especially decorating photos etc. Otherwise I am also considering LG V30 for audio quality because I am going to get a good quality Headphone. Waterproof is important for me.
No problem at all coming from S7 Edge, I somehow never felt the heft or weight of the Note 8 in spite of putting the original Samsung case which increases the heft. It is just slightly taller than the S8+ but feels more comfortable in the hand.

In reviews on you tube the Note 8 easily beats the V30 in speed tests.

Note 8 comes with AKG headphones which sound very good. The V30 supposedly comes with much better audio quality by B&O. I read somewhere they may be skipping this feature for India to keep costs down. Not confirmed though.

Visit any store and try the Note 8 for yourself and since you are thinking about the V30 why not wait, as I believe it could launch here latest by 15th November. You can make your decision then.

Cheers
Old 11th October 2017, 13:25   #26513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I want to replace my ageing nexus 7 tab for watching movies and serials .
I was using nexus 7 2013 for media consumption before it had a fatal fall. Mi max 2 seems to be a good replacement.

Thank you for this idea. I have acted on it promptly and purchased a set in this amazon sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
I'll suggest getting the 64gb variant & not the 32gb one though. Extra storage space helps, because the sd card option is ruled out if you are using 2 sims (hybrid sim+sd card slot)
Thank you for the feedback. I'm actually liking it a lot despite being a MIUI hater. Its pretty fluid and light-weight. My redmi note 4x feels heavier in front on Mi Max 2. I also got a 64gb version because with MIUI more is less.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:56   #26514
Senior - BHPian

I have a Nexus 5 (yup still works with poor battery life!) and faced a funny issue today with uploading pics to Google Drive. I uploaded 13 small size photos to Drive via their app and it just kept saying "23 photos uploading" with the moving line. I could still use the phone etc. Even after a couple of hours it kept telling me the photos were uploading. I couldn't swipe away the notification. Funny thing was he photos had already uploaded and I could share them and move them on Drive on my laptop. I felt the battery was draining a bit faster and the phone felt warm. After 6-8 hours I simply restarted the phone and the notification was not there. Here is a screenshot.
Any idea what caused this funny incident?Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20171011124347.png
Old 12th October 2017, 17:56   #26515
BHPian

My Galaxy Note 4 took some damage in the ongoing rains in Bangalore. Looks like water entered through the back of the phone since the back cover is removable (yes, very rare to hear such things today) in spite of being inside a raincoat.

I managed to revive the phone after 3 days of submerging it in rice (after googling). The display and touch are working fine. But my rear camera (16MP) has conked off.

I get this "Warning: Camera failed" box every time I get into camera mode. Took it to Samsung Care in Indiranagar and was quoted Rs 6000 for the camera module that had to be ordered from Noida since it's out of stock across Bangalore

Since the phone is 2 years old and out of warranty, I am also contemplating on getting this done via a 3rd party service center as I think 6k is pretty steep.

Suggestions and recommendations welcome.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:21   #26516
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
My Galaxy Note 4 took some damage in the ongoing rains in Bangalore. Looks like water entered through the back of the phone since the back cover is removable (yes, very rare to hear such things today) in spite of being inside a raincoat.

I managed to revive the phone after 3 days of submerging it in rice (after googling). The display and touch are working fine. But my rear camera (16MP) has conked off.

I get this "Warning: Camera failed" box every time I get into camera mode. Took it to Samsung Care in Indiranagar and was quoted Rs 6000 for the camera module that had to be ordered from Noida since it's out of stock across Bangalore

Since the phone is 2 years old and out of warranty, I am also contemplating on getting this done via a 3rd party service center as I think 6k is pretty steep.

Suggestions and recommendations welcome.
I don't have any bangalore specific recommendation but the website justlikenew.in quotes 2500 for the camera replacement in your phone, so you should be looking around for that kind of price
Old 12th October 2017, 19:13   #26517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I don't have any bangalore specific recommendation but the website justlikenew.in quotes 2500 for the camera replacement in your phone, so you should be looking around for that kind of price
Hi,

I did check justlikenew.in for a quote and have used their services for a Micromax Canvas phone display issue. The outcome was a slightly low quality display that had some touch issues after about 1-2 months. I don't want to hand over a much expensive phone like Note 4 and end up in other issues during the repair.
Old 13th October 2017, 00:06   #26518
Senior - BHPian

Bleh - used Pixel XLs are too pricey still. Looking at the LG V20 but battery is a big letdown. Finally started looking at LG G6 but not getting a good deal on those too.

One question for guys in the US - when people sell "Unlocked" phones, will the carrier bloatware still be on the phone?
Old 13th October 2017, 09:52   #26519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Bleh - used Pixel XLs are too pricey still. Looking at the LG V20 but battery is a big letdown. Finally started looking at LG G6 but not getting a good deal on those too.

One question for guys in the US - when people sell "Unlocked" phones, will the carrier bloatware still be on the phone?
Naveeno: LG v20 has a replaceable battery One of the last of a dying breed. Get a spare battery/charger for around 40 dollars and voila!

PS: I have the V20 and not really struggled for battery life. I do have a powerbank which supports QC3.0

Listening to High Res 24BIT FLACs of Iron Maiden on the phone is just bliss.
Old 13th October 2017, 10:19   #26520
BHPian

I purchased Samsung Galaxy S8 in May-2017, and it has been working fine.
Loved the phone design as it perfectly fits in the hand. Found S8 plus to be big for single hand use.
Yesterday purchased One Plus 5 for my wife via Amazon (exchanged Note2). Loving the OP5 for its speed and battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks