Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2017, 19:51   #26656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't think any cheap phone except a Nokia would last me for more than 3 years. In my 17 years of phone usage, I have had all Nokias except for 1 Sony feature phone & 1 HTC Android phone. Both the Sony & the HTC lasted for around a year each.

The current Nokias aren't even close to the old ones, which were actually manufactured by Nokia. This is a chinese brand, no better than Mi, using Nokia's brand name.
It has been mentioned in the previous post, but I felt the need to emphasise it, since you seem to be going towards the Nokia name.
Old 18th November 2017, 20:04   #26657
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Actually, the tablet I had before the Mi Pad was the Dell Venue with 1 GB RAM. It was faster than the Mi Pad.
I have the Dell Venue 8 3840 with 1200p screen and the 1Gb of RAM doesn't cut it. I have seen Mi Pads running quite well, look into any apps/hardware issue.

Quote:
I don't think any cheap phone except a Nokia would last me for more than 3 years. In my 17 years of phone usage, I have had all Nokias except for 1 Sony feature phone & 1 HTC Android phone. Both the Sony & the HTC lasted for around a year each.
To iterate my point again, this is not the same brand, just the same name. Nothing against them, but there is no precedent for their good service/quality. I can however vouch for Xiaomi's build quality and there is no issue in using them for 2 years easily. I haven't personally tried more since I just got bored.
And windows phone is an anomaly since the apps were light and at least the rest of the OS worked well on low end hardware however the way android is getting heavier with its apps, there is no way a Nokia 3 will last you 3 years the way Lumia 525 has. Look at better specced phones for that.
Old 18th November 2017, 20:12   #26658
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The current Nokias aren't even close to the old ones, which were actually manufactured by Nokia.
In what way?

Quote:
This is a chinese brand, no better than Mi, using Nokia's brand name. It has been mentioned in the previous post, but I felt the need to emphasise it, since you seem to be going towards the Nokia name.
The Lumia was made in China. Just like the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I have the Dell Venue 8 3840 with 1200p screen and the 1Gb of RAM doesn't cut it.
I had the Dell 7 with 1 GB Ram - the performance was as good as the Mi Pad.

Quote:
To iterate my point again, this is not the same brand, just the same name. Nothing against them, but there is no precedent for their good service/quality.
Nokia service was never that great - just the build was great. I haven't really heard anything bad about the current Nokia builds. That's why I am asking if anyone here has one. None of the answers till now have been from people who own one.

Quote:
there is no way a Nokia 3 will last you 3 years the way Lumia 525 has.
Why not? My phones haven't gotten slower with time. I don't install anything on them. If anything, I uninstall some stuff which the phone came with. My Lumia is as fast or as slow as it was on Day 1. The only reason I am looking to buy a new one is because of the battery.

Last edited by carboy : 18th November 2017 at 20:13.
Old 18th November 2017, 21:06   #26659
BHPian

Quote:
The Lumia was made in China. Just like the iPhone.

Nokia service was never that great - just the build was great. I haven't really heard anything bad about the current Nokia builds. That's why I am asking if anyone here has one. None of the answers till now have been from people who own one.

I had the Nokia 6 for about a week. Definitely not worth 15k. A friend with a Nokia 3 complains of sluggishness.

Coming to China, made in China is one thing, and a chinese company with lower QC is another. Just because they are all made in China does not make them the same.
Nokia was a Finnish company, with some of the built devices. The current lot, is not even close. They are charging a premium for the name.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.
Old 18th November 2017, 22:22   #26660
BANNED

Quote:
I had the Dell 7 with 1 GB Ram - the performance was as good as the Mi Pad.
That is the reason why it worked better than mine, the lower res screen needs less resources. At the same time see that the MiPad pushes a screen with 4 times more resolution. The Dell is unable to handle it.

Quote:
The Nokia service was AWESOME. Waiting for days to fix your phone was unheard of with Nokia, they fixed phones within minutes.

Quote:
Why not? My phones haven't gotten slower with time. I don't install anything on them. If anything, I uninstall some stuff which the phone came with. My Lumia is as fast or as slow as it was on Day 1. The only reason I am looking to buy a new one is because of the battery.
Because thats how computers work. Newer android updates are larger, have more services running and the apps we run get larger every week. Whatsapp is now 30-40 mb download and much larger when installed. 3 years back it was barely 10Mb. If somehow you can manage to get that old whatsapp working again, it would be difficult to have it running like day 1.

Coming to Lumia, I would definitely advise you to get the battery, IIRC it has a BL-5J battery so it was pretty common being used since the days of 5800XpressMusic and even genuine ones won't be that expensive.
Old 18th November 2017, 23:05   #26661
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My current phone is a Nokia Lumia 525. It's more than 3 years old & it's still fine except for the battery. The battery is on it's last legs. I can buy a new battery for 500 Rs & it would be good, but I am planning against that because it's 3+ years old & most likely something else may fail soon. I am a very rough user. I don't think any cheap phone except a Nokia would last me for more than 3 years. In my 17 years of phone usage, I have had all Nokias except for 1 Sony feature phone & 1 HTC Android phone. Both the Sony & the HTC lasted for around a year each.
In my 17 years of phone usage, I had NEVER used a Nokia before - until now. I picked up a Nokia 8 last month and so far it has been a 10 out of 10.
  • It's the first phone where I did not have to uninstall or remove from home screen any useless apps. Stock android is the best!
  • 5.3 inch screen does not "feel" smaller than 5.5 inchers. It weighs just about right for one hand operation too.
  • Super smooth and super fast.
  • Only smartphone maker who emphasizes (on Nokia 8 website) that it is built to last. And they back up their claim with design/engineering elements.
  • Not sure if it is a Nokia 8 or new Android feature, but all photos taken somehow end up in Google Photos. No transfer to desktop jhanjhat. Take a photo on the phone and login to photos.google.com on the desktop to access the photos.
  • Good indoors, outdoors and low light photography.
  • 24/7 chat support accessible through app. I have already used chat support twice (not used to this version of android, so had some questions).

Quote:
The current Nokias aren't even close to the old ones, which were actually manufactured by Nokia. This is a chinese brand, no better than Mi, using Nokia's brand name.
Quote:
Coming to China, made in China is one thing, and a chinese company with lower QC is another. Just because they are all made in China does not make them the same.
Can you please point out the Chinese connection between HMD Global/Nokia?

From what I understand, HMD Global was started by ex-Nokia executives, is headquartered in Finland, phones designed & developed by ex-Nokia engineers, has manufacturing tie-up with Foxconn (Taiwanese) like Apple and is assembled in India.

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th November 2017 at 23:29.
Old 19th November 2017, 00:42   #26662
BANNED

Quote:
Nokia was a Finnish company, with some of the built devices.
Why do you think the current Nokia is a Chinese company?
Old 19th November 2017, 01:31   #26663
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you think the current Nokia is a Chinese company?

Sorry guys. Got my sources wrong.
I still stand up to what i said earlier though. The current Nokia is just a brandname. The only device which i see value in is the Nokia 8, but then i would get the LG G6 and compromise on the processor instead.
Old 19th November 2017, 07:32   #26664
BANNED

Quote:
Coming to Lumia, I would definitely advise you to get the battery, IIRC it has a BL-5J battery so it was pretty common being used since the days of 5800XpressMusic and even genuine ones won't be that expensive.
I looked in Amazon, I saw it available for various prices from 300 to 2000 Rs. How would I know which is genuine?
Old 21st November 2017, 14:49   #26665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
In my 17 years of phone usage, I had NEVER used a Nokia before - until now.
Picked up a Nokia 8 a couple of days ago and I am enjoying it for now. Despite my preference for relatively compact phones, Sony ZL, Nexus 4 and the Galaxy S5 this Nokia 8 feels comfortable to hold, being well built is an added extra.
Full credit and blame to Viddy for recommending this over the G5+ which at 12.6K (in the flipkart sales) seems like the best VFM this side of 20K.

On another note, despite Nokia's branding, HMD does not seemed to have picked up between the masses or accessory shop circles, that price range is still owned by OP5!
Old 21st November 2017, 17:00   #26666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
On another note, despite Nokia's branding, HMD does not seemed to have picked up between the masses or accessory shop circles, that price range is still owned by OP5!
Yeah, accessories like cases or tempered glass is not available anywhere, except for amazon.in. I picked up this case that has a leather feel and finish from: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B076946X1M/

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0003.jpg

Or you could take a look at this case by 'Annure'.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0762MC927/

This is how it looks on our iPhone 6 - it has a 'blocky' squared out look.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20171121_165031.jpg

I have also ordered Tempered Glass (for protection against keys in the pocket etc) for my Nokia 8.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0762KSYS6/

Order Nokia 8 stuff from amazon.in only if it has ratings and reviews.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st November 2017 at 17:02.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:49   #26667
Senior - BHPian

Deals on Moto Z2 Play and Samsung Note8, S8, S8+

Just now saw the news of the following deals while I opened New Tab on my Lenovo K6 Power-
Gsmarena Deal Moto Z2 Play for just $23.76

2. Gsmarena Deal Save $350 on Samsung Galaxy Note8, S8, S8+

Disclaimer-I am no way affiliated to Gsmarena, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T or any other Seller.

Mods, please delete this post if found inappropriate.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:11   #26668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Or you could take a look at this case by 'Annure'.
Ordered something similar from amazon.in, should be delivered in a day or two. Bought a transparent soft cover from local accessory shop for temporary use.

Quote:
I have also ordered Tempered Glass (for protection against keys in the pocket etc) for my Nokia 8.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0762KSYS6/
Bought a for Nokia 8 tempered glass too from another local store, its stuck on fine but the air bubbles are visible on all four side due to the 2.5D screen. The tempered glass is something I've begun to hate, prefer the screen guards that we used to get over this easily crackable plastic sheet.
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:35   #26669
BHPian

Quote:
Did you end up getting the Nokia 8? Any shortcomings or remorse worth mentioning?
Nah, the OnePlus 5T's screen lured me away from the Nokia 8. Just got it today.

Judging by your posts, the Nokia 8 seems like a stellar device.
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:43   #26670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bought a for Nokia 8 tempered glass too from another local store, its stuck on fine but the air bubbles are visible on all four side due to the 2.5D screen. The tempered glass is something I've begun to hate, prefer the screen guards that we used to get over this easily crackable plastic sheet.
If tempered glass is of good quality, those air bubbles will vanish after a week or so, especially if the air bubbles are small. Use a banian
( ) on your screen for a minute everyday and try to wipe away the bubbles towards the edges.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd November 2017 at 16:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks