Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 11:06   #26896
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Finally took the plunge and bought the Note 8 along with 5% Gift Voucher from Reliance Digital. Couple of questions,

1. When is Oreo expected on Note 8
2. Has any one installed a tempered glass which actually doesn't get peeled off from the edges
3. Any good cases apart from Spigen
Old 17th January 2018, 11:51   #26897
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some help. We need a new mobile phone for the office.

1. Mobile will be used for lots of calling predominantly, and will change hands often around work.
2. Needs a big battery for sure.
3. The phone will not be loaded with Apps at all.
4. I prefer sticking with the mainstream brands since its for the office - we cannot afford any downtime with the phone.
5. The phone will not be used for emails or reading, a big screen is not essential.
6. No photography, dont care about the lens etc.

I was looking at the Moto E5, which is purported to come with a big battery as well as a snap dragon processor. But I don't know when it will launch here.

However, with the upcoming Great Indian Sale of Amazon, are there any other phones I should be looking at? I have a soft corner for the motorola, I use the Moto z play myself and it has been fantastic. Looking at getting something on an interest free EMI on my card + a fat good discount.

Any views on the Nokia 2?

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th January 2018 at 12:19.
Old 17th January 2018, 13:08   #26898
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys,

1. Mobile will be used for lots of calling predominantly, and will change hands often around work.
2. Needs a big battery for sure.
3. The phone will not be loaded with Apps at all.
4. I prefer sticking with the mainstream brands since its for the office - we cannot afford any downtime with the phone.
5. The phone will not be used for emails or reading, a big screen is not essential.
6. No photography, dont care about the lens etc.
Why need a smart phone for this. I suggest you should be looking towards those not so smart phones. These are rugged and apparently provide better call quality. Moreover, none of the smart phone can beat the battery backup of a non-smart phone.
Have you thought in line of Nokia 3310?
Old 17th January 2018, 13:14   #26899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Why need a smart phone for this. I suggest you should be looking towards those not so smart phones. These are rugged and apparently provide better call quality. Moreover, none of the smart phone can beat the battery backup of a non-smart phone.
Have you thought in line of Nokia 3310?
Thats too basic, need the android functionality for Whatsapp etc. We have group messaging to get done and stuff. Saw the Nokia 2 is just 1 GB, not future proof enough. Dang.
Old 17th January 2018, 13:38   #26900
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile received the security patch on the Nokia 8 for January this morning. Gives me some hope that HMD will work on the camera app through the 8.1 update whenever that happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180117111757.png  

Old 17th January 2018, 13:54   #26901
BANNED

Quote:
Thats too basic, need the android functionality for Whatsapp etc. We have group messaging to get done and stuff. Saw the Nokia 2 is just 1 GB, not future proof enough. Dang.
Ok, my bad, I thought 0 APP .

My previous experiences in playing around with low spec. android, I would say they won’t last more than a year. Moreover, an issue with WhatsApp is that, it resides in phone memory and not in SD card, eating up spaces too fast.
If you are getting for your office, I rather suspect, nobody would be doing periodic maintenance of the phone. So, my suggestion, slightly expand your budget and get something with at least 16GB of space and 3 GB of RAM. Again, in low spec area, there is no such difference between mainstream brands and others, they all be at par.
Old 17th January 2018, 14:04   #26902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Meanwhile received the security patch on the Nokia 8 for January this morning.
Hmm again? Does Google release security patches every month? Pixel/Nexus owners are getting these too?

Quote:
Gives me some hope that HMD will work on the camera app through the 8.1 update whenever that happens.
I solved my camera issues. Low light photography issue using "always on HDR" and blurry images issue (my little kids don't stand still) using a third party camera app called Fast Burst Camera. Cost me just Rs. 250. There is a free version you can try out too.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180117135609.png

There are hundreds of other third party camera apps. Check it out rather than wait for a camera update.

Meanwhile, DXOMark.com has reviewed / benchmarked Nokia 8 camera against other phones. Scores reasonably well in photography department but not so well in videography.
https://www.dxomark.com/nokia-8-revi...h-end-segment/

Top 10 smartphone cameras (from dxomark.com)

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dxomark.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Moreover, an issue with WhatsApp is that, it resides in phone memory and not in SD card, eating up spaces too fast.
You can prevent Whatsapp from hogging up space your phone.

1) Open Whatsapp and click on "three vertical dots" on the top right hand side on the phone.
2) Settings -> Data and storage usage
3) Under "media auto download", select "No media" option for all 3 (when using mobile data, wifi, roaming)
4) Download "Google Files Go" app to clean out all the existing whatsapp junk.

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th January 2018 at 14:10.
Old 17th January 2018, 14:12   #26903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Does Google release security patches every month? Pixel/Nexus owners are getting these too?
Yes. Google/Android has a monthly security update schedule. I get those on Nexus and Motorola devices like clockwork.

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/

Last edited by binand : 17th January 2018 at 14:13. Reason: Changed link
Old 17th January 2018, 19:45   #26904
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

What's the budget?

If a big battery and a mainstream brand is top priority then take a look at the Samsung A9 Pro.

https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gal...666495bfc36837

Or else the iPhone SE. Battery on this is not big as per numbers but should be good enough considering the energy efficient screen and the overall optimized Apple product.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th January 2018 at 19:50.
Old 17th January 2018, 20:06   #26905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
What's the budget?

If a big battery and a mainstream brand is top priority then take a look at the Samsung A9 Pro.

Or else the iPhone SE. Battery on this is not big as per numbers but should be good enough considering the energy efficient screen and the overall optimized Apple product.
Thanks. Our budget is sub 20k and will need to get on an interest free monthly emi.

Samsung, my experience with them is that anything other than their flagship suffers a horrific fate in a few months or a year.

The iphone... Well, it will probably be stolen by one of us in all likelihood prefer sticking to android, since all of us are droid users ourselves.
Old 17th January 2018, 20:47   #26906
BHPian

Quote:
.. budget is sub 20k and will need to get on an interest free monthly emi... prefer sticking to android, since all of us are droid users ourselves.
I'd recommend:
1) Lenovo K8 Plus/Note
2) Moto g5 plus
3) Redmi note 4

All reasonably powerful devices with fairly robust builds, sufficient storage, reasonable Ram and high battery capacity. All should be within 12k, with offers on them expected on Amazon and flipkart in upcoming republic day sales.

Hope that helps.
Old 17th January 2018, 21:06   #26907
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Our budget is sub 20k and will need to get on an interest free monthly emi.

Samsung, my experience with them is that anything other than their flagship suffers a horrific fate in a few months or a year.
Yeah but that is because the bloatware slows down the phone over time due to increasing number of downloads and installations (which you are not going to be doing).

Quote:
The iphone... Well, it will probably be stolen by one of us in all likelihood prefer sticking to android, since all of us are droid users ourselves.
It doesn't matter when the only app that you are going to be using on the phone is Whatsapp.

You can get the iPhone SE 32GB for like 17-18k today. It's great value for money considering your requirements. Plus you get the famed Apple service and support.
Old 18th January 2018, 00:15   #26908
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with the others. The iPhone SE is the best pick of the lot. You get a mainstream brand with above average service, whatsapp definitely works on it, and because of it's small size, it is easy to grip and move across hands in the office. If battery is a concern, get a powerbank case, like the mophie juice pack, or its cheaper alternatives.
The iPhone will also open up the iMessage and Facetime platforms to you, bringing more communication options, since I assume that this device will be used for client/customer interactions.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:15   #26909
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

You can prevent Whatsapp from hogging up space your phone.

1) Open Whatsapp and click on "three vertical dots" on the top right hand side on the phone.
2) Settings -> Data and storage usage
3) Under "media auto download", select "No media" option for all 3 (when using mobile data, wifi, roaming)
4) Download "Google Files Go" app to clean out all the existing whatsapp junk.
Thank you Smartcat, I agree WhatsApp space usage can be controlled by restricting auto download. But, what I noticed are the umpteen “db” files created in due course (I guess back up files) would take up lots of space. OP mention, the handset would be used for office work and would be shared; hence I guessed no one would be doing periodic space management.

Quote:
Moto G or Samsung J series would be good options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
You can get the iPhone SE 32GB for like 17-18k today. It's great value for money considering your requirements. Plus you get the famed Apple service and support.
OP mentioned the phone would be for office use and shared. In my experience in IT service industry, I did have in past part of a team that shared phone and believe me, you dont want a iPhone .
Old 18th January 2018, 11:52   #26910
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also looking at the new G5S from Motorola - looks like a newish launch and in time for the Amazon Sale. Might be a better bet than the gen old G5 or G5Plus.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks