Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2018, 10:06   #27076
BHPian

Hello All,

We bought a Lenovo Zuk Z1 in 2016. Facing a weird problem for the past few weeks. Once switched off, it refuses to switch on again. The Cyanogen and Lenovo logo appear repeatedly but the phone does not boot. Tried every possible solution, nothing seems to work.

Anybody else facing a similar problem? Any solution?

Thanks in Advance
Prathik
Old 25th February 2018, 11:12   #27077
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The MI used at home has been updated and I see a ball (in Xiaomi) terms, similar to gestures used in iOS. Pretty nifty and I do like it.
Old 25th February 2018, 13:12   #27078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Hello All,

We bought a Lenovo Zuk Z1 in 2016. Facing a weird problem for the past few weeks. Once switched off, it refuses to switch on again. The Cyanogen and Lenovo logo appear repeatedly but the phone does not boot. Tried every possible solution, nothing seems to work.

Anybody else facing a similar problem? Any solution?

Thanks in Advance
Prathik
I think your phone's motherboard has gone.
I had a similar problem with the Lenovo P4000 IIRC
Had to discard it and move on.
If you have warranty take it to the service center.
Old 26th February 2018, 22:35   #27079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
How are the new-age Nokias, specially the 8? There are a few promising ones looming on the horizon, due for launches just before the 2018 MWC on Feb 25th. I have my eye on the Nokia 8 2018 (possibly named "Sirocco") and the Nokia 9, if it's not a myth.

Requirements - UI performance as good as my OnePlus 5T and an excellent set of cameras. The latest Snapdragon processors (845 or even 835) would be a bonus.
So, I followed the 2018 MWC unveils/launches last night, and got myself the Nokia 8 in the afternoon earlier today.

Not interested in the S9 twins, and the upcoming Nokia 8 Sirocco seems to be priced tall for a bezel-less display and tweaks to the dual Zeiss cameras. No mention of the 9, so it's not looming on the immediate horizon. Hence made the decision.

The box.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180226_164129.jpg

The specs.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180226_164205.jpg

Beside my OnePlus 5T.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20180226_163316.jpg

Displays compared.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20180226_163148.jpg

Standing toe to toe with my S8 Plus.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180226_163401.jpg

Big brother showing why he's the senior pro.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20180226_163442.jpg

Oreo 8.1 update.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20180226_170053.jpg

Updated the 8 to Oreo 8.1 as soon as I reached home, and the OS is stable so far. Tweaked the developer options as per my preferences, and the UI is quite quick and snappy.

Pros - Solid build quality, excellent display, pure stock Android gives it a fast and snappy UI.

I am a purist so I am actually happy that Nokia hasn't loaded the 8 with a ton of bloatware, unlike Samsung.

Overall, priced at 26K with this config, I think it's an absolute steal.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th February 2018 at 22:38.
Old 27th February 2018, 15:24   #27080
Team-BHP Support

Guys, does the OP5T have any feature to disable one sim and use the other? Say, I wish to deactivate the primary sim for the night and just keep the secondary sim as standby?

Currently using the iPhone, but sometimes the need to use a second sim arises and I really cannot carry two phones.

@RavenAvi - Which is the better phone, Samsung or OP5T?

Last edited by Sheel : 27th February 2018 at 15:31.
Old 27th February 2018, 15:33   #27081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, does the OP5T have any feature to disable one sim and use the other? Say, I wish to deactivate the primary sim for the night and just keep the secondary sim as standby?

Currently using the iPhone, but sometimes the need to use a second sim arises and I really cannot carry two phones.

Not specific to OP5T, but all dual SIM android phones have the features of disabling either of the two SIMs at your wish with a click of button, same should be the case with OP5T also.

KK
Old 27th February 2018, 15:38   #27082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not interested in the S9 twins, and the upcoming Nokia 8 Sirocco seems to be priced tall for a bezel-less display and tweaks to the dual Zeiss cameras.
wow, Sirocco costs Rs. 60,000!

Old 27th February 2018, 18:16   #27083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not interested in the S9 twins, and the upcoming Nokia 8 Sirocco seems to be priced tall for a bezel-less display and tweaks to the dual Zeiss cameras.
From the initial hands-on, Sirocco does not have bezel-less 18:9 display. It has the conventional 16:9 display with curved edges like the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. So good choice on going for the Nokia 8. Looking at the images, the Nokia 8 though has a 5.3" screen is almost as tall as the OP5T with 6" screen. Thanks for the comparison pics.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:29   #27084
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, I followed the 2018 MWC unveils/launches last night, and got myself the Nokia 8 in the afternoon earlier today.
Great choice of phone, the Nokia 8 at the current price point is easily the best VFM premium phone option. Whilst the Bokeh mode on the stock camera app is great, make sure you try out the google camera app Smartcat mentioned on the previous pages, the potrait mode works really well and most pictures have more pop over the ones from the stock camera.
Old 28th February 2018, 17:56   #27085
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I have a two year old Redmi Note 3 and I am looking to upgrade, and I am not even going to try to get the RN5 Pro during the flash sale. It's just a huge waste of time.
Redmi phones are now always available in MI home stores. this was the case with previous launches, not sure about RN5. When I bought my redmi note 4 shortly after its launch, I did not wait for flash sale, just headed to the Mi home store at phoenix market city in bangalore.
I also see many of the mobile phone stores like sangeetha, poorvika etc having stores stocks of redmi phones. In cities where they are available offline, it makes no sense to wait for flash sales.
Old 28th February 2018, 20:52   #27086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Sheel. You can deactivate either of the two SIMs as per your requirements.

Quote:
Overall, for better usability, I prefer the OnePlus 5T over the Samsung 8 Plus. The 8 Plus is no slouch but I think the pre-loaded Samsung bloatware hinders it's performance. The camera quality is wonderful, though. Easily the best on any smartphone after the Pixel 2 XL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
wow, Sirocco costs Rs. 60,000!
Simply too much.

It should have slotted in the 40K-45K bracket after the recent price slash to the Nokia 8. Now, with the config it will arrive with, it seems quite overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
From the initial hands-on, Sirocco does not have bezel-less 18:9 display. It has the conventional 16:9 display with curved edges like the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
True. My bad. I should have said thinner bezels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
So good choice on going for the Nokia 8. Looking at the images, the Nokia 8 though has a 5.3" screen is almost as tall as the OP5T with 6" screen. Thanks for the comparison pics.
Yep, the Nokia 8 has a slightly smaller screen but the display quality is more richer than the OnePlus 5T, due to denser PPI.

I would say that unless a larger display (5.5 & above) & a tweaked Android UI is an absolute necessity, the Nokia 8 is the best (dare I say de-facto) choice at this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Great choice of phone, the Nokia 8 at the current price point is easily the best VFM premium phone option. Whilst the Bokeh mode on the stock camera app is great, make sure you try out the google camera app Smartcat mentioned on the previous pages, the potrait mode works really well and most pictures have more pop over the ones from the stock camera.
Thanks, manson.

I was caught up in Feb Closing work in the past few days. Now, over the Holi weekend, I can check out Smartcat's recommendation and also see if the XDA developer guys have other good options for the Nokia 8.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th February 2018 at 20:53.
Old 3rd March 2018, 22:43   #27087
Senior - BHPian

I recently came across this info regarding the changes in Oreo and Project Treble. Maybe useful for people planning to buy phones to consider if the phone supports Project Treble or not.

Here is the information on Project Treble: URL

Quote:
The Android 8.0 release includes Project Treble, a major re-architect of the Android OS framework designed to make it easier, faster, and less costly for manufacturers to update devices to a new version of Android. Treble is for all new devices launching with Android 8.0 and beyond (the new architecture is already running on the Developer Preview for Pixel phones).
A key thing to note is that some of the current devices such as OnePlus 5T, Nokia 8, Galaxy S8 & Galaxy Note 8 do not support Project Treble. So this maybe a good thing to keep an eye out for when buying a new phone.
More Info on Nokia 8 and OnePlus 5T: URL
Galaxy S8: URL

The Pixel Phones, Honor View 10, The Galaxy S9 series all support Project Treble. Simply put, any device that ships with Android Oreo out of the box supports Project Treble whereas the devices that ship with Nougat mostly do not. [there could be exceptions - Xiaomi seems to promise Treble support despite shipping with Nougat for some of its phones]

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 3rd March 2018 at 22:45.
Old 4th March 2018, 22:53   #27088
BHPian

On our way to purchase the Lenovo K8 Note phone this evening at the various shops near Vashi station, I found a store with Mi logo.
Walked in and asked about the Redmi Note 5 if it was available off the shelf and the chap at the counter mentioned they were taking pre-orders for the 7th March sale.
Paid Rs 2000 as advance and booked the 4 Gb / 64 Gb / Black model. Balance Rs 10k at delivery.
The store chap says that these pre-orders are sent to the dealer who dispatches the numbers ordered and a few extra. The extra few he sells at a Rs 500 markup.
Came home and ordered the case and micro sd card.

Being very bad at flash sale purchases, I am glad I made an offline purchase for said phone.
Old 4th March 2018, 23:34   #27089
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the suggestions earlier. Picked up a Redmi Note 5 Pro 6GB version. Just arrived today.
Slick and awesome phone for the price. I'll post some detailed feedback after using it for a day or two. Cheers.
Old 4th March 2018, 23:38   #27090
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions earlier. Picked up a Redmi Note 5 Pro 6GB version. Just arrived today.
Slick and awesome phone for the price. I'll post some detailed feedback after using it for a day or two. Cheers.
Where did you get the 6GB version from? Flipkart is only showing 4 GB variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks