Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2018, 10:44   #27121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
10 months since I got the LG G6 and i ended up buying the Pixel 2 XL. 45K after Citibank cashback was too much to resist and I gave in.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the G6 but I have always wanted the Pixel 2 ever since it came out.

That said I will very much miss the wide angle lens of the G6, the headphone jack and the Sd card slot.

The only reason to change to Pixel was the software and I hope google does not disappoint me as the G6 was a really stellar hardware phone and the perfect size. I am already finding the Pixel 2 XL a tad large to hold vs the perfectly sized G6.
And here I am trying to decide between the G6 and V30 now, mostly because of that wide angle lens.

Have you seen/used V30 to compare it with G6. Is 15k odd over the G6 justified for the V30? Things like Cinemode, Dac audio etc have limited use for me and hence unable to decide. What I am looking for is that wide angle lens+manual video controls.
Old 18th March 2018, 11:16   #27122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
And here I am trying to decide between the G6 and V30 now, mostly because of that wide angle lens.

Go for V30. Because it has got better processor (snapdragon 835 (2017) vs snapdragon 821 (2016)).
Main shooter is a 16 mp compared to 13 mp of Lg g6. Better battery life. Gorilla glass 5 on front vs gorilla glass 3 on g6.
In 2018 it does not make sense to me to go for LG G6.
Ps: my wife has a g6 and I absolutely love it.
Old 18th March 2018, 12:05   #27123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Go for V30. Because it has got better processor (snapdragon 835 (2017) vs snapdragon 821 (2016)).
Main shooter is a 16 mp compared to 13 mp of Lg g6. Better battery life. Gorilla glass 5 on front vs gorilla glass 3 on g6.
The LG V30+ is a brilliant phone. The only problem is LG is really really bad with upgrading the software. It is as bad as Xiaomi in this regard. I have the V30+ and its on 7.0 with no visibility as to when it will be updated to 8.
Old 18th March 2018, 14:14   #27124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If you have to get an LG, go with the V30+. But as Joslicx mentioned below, you can literally forget about any updates. LG is quite poor at that. Alternately, check the Pixel 2 XL if you can ignore the wide angle lens thing. The camera on that is just awesome.

On a side note, I have LG V20 and after about 11 months of usage, I can see that phone has slowed down drastically and also got pretty bad screen ghosting. Not sure if its something to do with just the unit I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The LG V30+ is a brilliant phone. The only problem is LG is really really bad with upgrading the software.
Old 18th March 2018, 14:16   #27125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...really really bad with upgrading the software. It is as bad as Xiaomi in this regard.
I have a minor bone to pick with regard to your statement about Xiaomi being bad with its software updates.

Though the Android updates are either missing or very very slow in coming, the occasional tweaks, changes and additions to the MIUI more than make up for the absence.

A December 2015 bought first generation Redmi Note is still doing duty with me. No loss of speed nor any untoward/unexpected crashes. The hardware is of course ancient, but the software has kept the phone tight.
Old 18th March 2018, 14:26   #27126
BANNED

Quote:
The only problem is LG is really really bad with upgrading the software. It is as bad as Xiaomi in this regard.
I have been using LG from past 7 years and Xiaomi from past 6 months. LG is pathetic with updates, but Xiaomi has already updated couple of times. And Xiaomi are still supporting 3 and 4 old year devices. And I’m really impressed with Xiaomi considering the price point of their devices. It puts to shame devices 3-4 times it’s cost.
Old 18th March 2018, 15:35   #27127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you have to get an LG, go with the V30+. But as Joslicx mentioned below, you can literally forget about any updates. LG is quite poor at that. Alternately, check the Pixel 2 XL if you can ignore the wide angle lens thing. The camera on that is just awesome.

On a side note, I have LG V20 and after about 11 months of usage, I can see that phone has slowed down drastically and also got pretty bad screen ghosting. Not sure if its something to do with just the unit I got.
My v20 has also slowed down after a year but i hate the screen ghosting effect. Did you find any solution for it?
Old 18th March 2018, 17:25   #27128
BHPian

I searched Amazon, flipkart but it seems honor view 10 is not available for purchase. Has the model being discontinued?
Old 18th March 2018, 19:00   #27129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I have a minor bone to pick with regard to your statement about Xiaomi being bad with its software updates.

I have the Mi5 that I use as my primary phone. In about one and half years of ownership theres only ever been a single update. It was from miui8 to miui9. It's still running on android 7.0!
MI5 was their flagship! Still very very poor software support I think.

Compare this to my wife's phone. She is using the v30+ now that replaced the OP3. The OP3 got many updates in the one and half years it was with us. It was running on latest android when we exchanged it for the LG. I was really impressed with oneplus with their software support. Didn't get the OP5t only because of the camera.
Old 18th March 2018, 19:22   #27130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
My v20 has also slowed down after a year but i hate the screen ghosting effect. Did you find any solution for it?
No, the immediate solution will be to replace it with something else come April (in two weeks)
Old 18th March 2018, 21:02   #27131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the Mi5 that I use as my primary phone. In about one and half years of ownership theres only ever been a single update. It was from miui8 to miui9. It's still running on android 7.0!
MI5 was their flagship! Still very very poor software support I think.
I am completely with you there.

However, what really is the purpose of a software update? Should we have the absolute latest version of the Android OS as soon as it is released?

Updates for updates sake?

If one has bought a pure android phone that relies only on patches or solutions from Google, one is justified in expecting a constant supply of sandwiches, kitkats, jellies, lollypops, marshmallows, nougats and oreos; mainly because any corrections or improvements in the user interface can happen only through this route.

Xiaomi takes care of its phones via improvements made to the MIUI. In the earlier days, the updates to MIUI happened quite frequently. Mostly (I am hazarding a guess here) due to software stabilization and incorporation of many useful features in a single update, the frequency could have been reduced now.

Still, you have the same version of the MIUI that is available in its latest bestsellers too.

Curious to know whether the Mi5 has been worse the wear because of receiving only a single update till now?
Old 18th March 2018, 22:05   #27132
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I use both the OP5 and the Mi5 daily for my work and personal use. Absolutely no difference between the 2 being a very heavy business and multimedia user.

I really don't have time to spot idiosyncrasies! They are both sterling performers.

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th March 2018 at 22:06.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:00   #27133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

However, what really is the purpose of a software update? Should we have the absolute latest version of the Android OS as soon as it is released?

There is definitely a purpose of updates. For one, there would be some features that would be available on the latest software only. You need latest OS if you want to use those features. For example, Google Camera doesnt run on my phone. Google camera for non-Google phones is available for some phones that are running Android 8 and Snapdragon 820/821/835 family of chipsets. Google Camera gives you Google's proprietary HDR+ support that gives you better low light pictures. I would have liked to use the Google Camera on my Mi5.

Also, it is galling if your company doesnt support software for even its flagship product! I mean they want people to just buy their product and then forget about it? Very soon Android 9 will be out and my phone would be running on a 2 year old OS. I didnt expect this from Xiaomi. The Mi5 is probably my last Xiaomi phone. I am disappointed in them.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:43   #27134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Quote:
The LG V30+ is a brilliant phone. The only problem is LG is really really bad with upgrading the software. It is as bad as Xiaomi in this regard. I have the V30+ and its on 7.0 with no visibility as to when it will be updated to 8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Thanks for your inputs guys. But Pixel 2 is hopelessly out of my budget. I initially started looking in the 20k range, moved to 30k, now almost pushing it to 40k, but don't really want to go beyond.

I was hoping with the new flagship V30 launch, there would be some sort of price drop on the V30+. But doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Does LG not provide *any* sort of updates? I am OK with an older version of Android if I keep getting the security patches.

Quote:

Reg the updates. I adopted MIUI on Samsung Galazy Ace back in 2010, and have seen it grow over the years. My latest phone, Redmi Note 3, been using it for almost 2 years now.

I slightly disagree with your analysis of the updates by Xiaomi. All updates that Xiaomi is pushing are geared towards creating an 'ecosystem' like Apple or Samsung with lots of in-built apps. So you now have a Xiaomi store in addition to play store, a theme market, Mi cloud and what not. Since they are pushing these in the name of Updates, they are also tweaking the UI every time, which gives a feeling of getting something new. But, the base is still the same outdated OS. I haven't seen them push timely security updates for the OS whenever there is a vulnerability reported. All they seem to care about is the "look & feel".

Talking about my case, the internals are pretty much the same as what I bought the phone with. No changes there. But now, I have 10 extra default Mi apps that were pushed as part of some update or the other. And I don't like that one bit. There is no option to uninstall these apps. Precisely the reason I am now rooted and going AOSP.

I, for one, feel like Xiaomi is the one that is pushing the updates just for updates sake.
Old 19th March 2018, 12:14   #27135
Oxy
BHPian

Yes Xiaomi is lousy with Android updates, I can vouch for it. My two year old Redmi Note 3 still runs on Marshmellow (came with Lollipop out of the box IIRC). The MIUI skin gets regular updates though.

Also the service is not too flash. Recently my mother in law's camera stopped working on her Redmi 2 Prime (both front and rear). I was told at the service center that it's a known issue, and replacing the camera module would cost me 80% of the phone's value so I am better off buying a new phone.

They should be fixing it free of charge if they say it's a known issue in my opinion, even when the phone is not under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks