Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 14:53   #27481
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, you helped me with finding the perfect phone the last time (I l-o-v-e my S6 Edge)! Please share some advice again.

My S6 Edge is almost 3 years old so I think it's time to change. Requirements:

- Looks
- Power
- Not too big (I don't like phablets). Either the same overall size as my S6 Edge or a little bigger (not too big).

Many thanks in advance!
Pretty easy decision for you - get the S9+. Excellent package overall!
Old 19th July 2018, 15:31   #27482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, you helped me with finding the perfect phone the last time (I l-o-v-e my S6 Edge)! Please share some advice again.

My S6 Edge is almost 3 years old...
If you're happy to continue within the Samsung family, the latest S/S+ is great, choose variant based on your size preference. I know you said no phablets but the Note is an amazing productivity device with the S-Pen, and it isn't as big and bulky as prior iterations.

If you want a stock android experience and guaranteed updates from Google, the Pixel twins and Nokia 8 are worth a look. The Pixels probably pack the best cameras in the business right now (though Samsung isn't far behind), added bonus if you care for that.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th July 2018 at 15:36.
Old 19th July 2018, 15:51   #27483
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

My S6 Edge is almost 3 years old so I think it's time to change. Requirements:

- Looks
- Power
- Not too big (I don't like phablets). Either the same overall size as my S6 Edge or a little bigger (not too big).

Many thanks in advance!
Here's an interesting proposition. It's the last day today to avail this from Flipkart.

Google Pixel 2 (128 GB version)

Price - Rs.70,000
Current discount on Flipkart - Rs.16,001
Exchange price for your S6 Edge: Rs.5,150
Exchange Bonus: Rs.3,000
Cashback if you use an HDFC credit card: Rs.8,000

Effective price (after applying all the above discounts): Rs.37,849

Now here is the interesting bit - If you buy this with Flipkart's "buyback guarantee" (this costs Rs.199), then Flipkart pays you Rs.37,000 if you upgrade from them again (that is, 37k gets reduced from the value of your next phone purchase). But the catch is that this upgrade needs to be done within 8 months.

So effectively you lose nothing. Use it for 6-8 months and then upgrade again. By that time you will have much better options in the Note 9, the S10 etc.

Google gives you the pure android experience. The downsides are - the Pixel 2 doesn't really look too flash, no expandable memory (though 128 GB should be enough for 6-8 months), and no dual sim support.

Last edited by Oxy : 19th July 2018 at 15:57.
Old 19th July 2018, 16:01   #27484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would also suggest the Pixel 2 XL available now @53k if you have a HDFC card. I think you would enjoy the clean interface coming from a Samsung and given that you keep your phones for a while, the Pixel will be first in line for updates, including monthly security patches for the next 2 - 3 years.

The brilliant camera is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th July 2018 at 16:02.
Old 19th July 2018, 16:35   #27485
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Pretty easy decision for you - get the S9+. Excellent package overall!
Not S9? It's smaller no? I don't want a big phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you're happy to continue within the Samsung family, the latest S/S+ is great, choose variant based on your size preference. I know you said no phablets but the Note is an amazing productivity device with the S-Pen, and it isn't as big and bulky as prior iterations.
Thanks! Don't need a Note as my laptop is always around me during working hours (even if I'm in an Uber). Smartphone is only for limited productivity on the move.

Quote:
Nokia 8 are worth a look
Thanks! Will check (Nokia is back? Who would have thought).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Google Pixel 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I would also suggest the Pixel 2 XL available now @53k if you have a HDFC card.
All is good guys, but the Pixel's styling is so b-o-r-i-n-g. A phone is a fashion accessory too, no?

Quote:
Now here is the interesting bit - If you buy this with Flipkart's "buyback guarantee" (this costs Rs.199), then Flipkart pays you Rs.37,000 if you upgrade from them again (that is, 37k gets reduced from the value of your next phone purchase). But the catch is that this upgrade needs to be done within 8 months.
Hahaha! That is brilliant, just brilliant. Thanks man. But the Pixel isn't for me.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:08   #27486
BHPian

Quote:
- Looks
- Power

Many thanks in advance!
I will suggest you the one plus 6, ticks all the correct boxes and you get a flagship experience without paying the price for a flagship. The only shortcoming of this phone is that the camera can't be compared to S9+ or the note 8.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:23   #27487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not S9? It's smaller no? I don't want a big phone.
You try both S9 and S9+ side by side; the latter is surprisingly easy for single-hand operation and very sleek.
Since you follow the 2 year cycle, go with the 9+ which definitely feels more high-end to use. Its camera setup is brilliant as well – a bit more future-proof compared to the regular S9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
All is good guys, but the Pixel's styling is so b-o-r-i-n-g. A phone is a fashion accessory too, no?
Exactly! I use a Pixel 2 XL and for the same reason you mentioned, I am not recommending that. It’s a brilliant phone, but it’s more of an Anurag Kashyap than a Karan Johar
For the gloss, I have the iPhone X as my work phone.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th July 2018 at 09:02. Reason: Typo.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:29   #27488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! Will check (Nokia is back? Who would have thought)....
I believe moderator Manson has a Nokia 8, so you can get some real world feedback.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:55   #27489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! Will check (Nokia is back? Who would have thought).
Nokia is back and I remember recommending the Nokia 8 Sirocco to you. It still fits your criteria but its still stuck at 50K and at that price it doesn't make sense. Yes it looks good and runs stock android but now with the Pixel's price dropping and so many other brands available at lower price tags and better camera it's a tough sell. Still you should go check out the Sirocco and see. You aren't too particular on budget and size and looks are important both of which the Sirocco checks out in a big way.

Stock Android means regular updates as well.

My pick for you would be as follows:

1. Oneplus 6 (The screen is lower res than S9/S9+ and Sirocco. Other than that it's a superb phone)
2. Nokia 8 Sirocco
3. Samsung S9+ or even S9. S9 battery and camera aren't as good as S9+ but it's still a very good cam.
4. Pixel 2 128GB. XL size you will never like hence out and smaller Pixel is booooring in design hence last option.

If you don't need a phone in next 3 months just wait. Pixel 3 will be better looking and should address all your requirements. Expected in Sep/October.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th July 2018 at 18:01.
Old 20th July 2018, 08:44   #27490
BHPian

Dear GTO bhai,

I will recommend you Oneplus 6 8+128GB combination. It's easily the fastest Android phone available in terms of usage.

I myself use Oneplus 5T. The charging is mind-blowingly fast. It can save you many times. While you are in hurry to go somewhere and you plug in for say a half hour and you have more than 60% battery.
Old 20th July 2018, 09:58   #27491
BHPian

Can someone please recommend a basic android phone below 5k? Only required features - 2G/3G, WhatsApp, WiFi tethering. To be used in remote area with limited connectivity. Also need to sync Google account from existing phone. Thanks in advance!
Old 20th July 2018, 10:40   #27492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do take a look at the LG v30. Lot of unique features like the quadDAC [if you love your music], the wide angel cams and it just got it's oreo update with june security patch.

And in other news, HTC has left India.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 20th July 2018 at 10:45.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:27   #27493
Team-BHP Support

Guys, which is a better app between Zomato/Swiggy or if any other app is available?

Contrary, I find Uber better than Ola, Ola appears too busy to send a taxi. This is specific to Kolkata for now.

@GTO - big phones are not much of a bother as battery life is significantly better in big phones.
S9+ or the Pixel XL2 or the upcoming Note 9.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th July 2018 at 12:33.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:28   #27494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Do take a look at the LG v30. Lot of unique features like the quadDAC [if you love your music], the wide angel cams and it just got it's oreo update with june security patch.

And in other news, HTC has left India.
Sorry but I cannot recommend an Lg these days. While the hardware specs look very enticing, the software is nowhere as good. I had an LG G6 which on paper was far superior to the Pixel 1 in all aspects.

However the software experience was nowhere close to the hardware. I was stuck on Android 7 (Still no Oreo for the G6).

On top of that security updates were hardly there. The last update made the phone unusable with battery draining out in 2 hours. Same issue with Rehaan who had the Lg G6.

I ended up selling the G6 in 9months and got the Pixel 2 XL.
Old 20th July 2018, 15:57   #27495
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I will suggest you the one plus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Oneplus 6 (The screen is lower res than S9/S9+ and Sirocco. Other than that it's a superb phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
I will recommend you Oneplus 6 8+128GB combination. It's easily the fastest Android phone available in terms of usage.
Thanks! I will check it out. Love that phone in red colour. However, the OnePlus 6 is quite a jump up in size from my S6 Edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You try both S9 and S9+ side by side; the latter is surprisingly easy for single-hand operation and very sleek.
Will do. My brother is sold on the S9+ and is buying one soon.

Quote:
Pixel 2 128GB
Will check. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@GTO - big phones are not much of a bother as battery life is significantly better in big phones.
Battery life isn't a top priority for me. As long as the phone lasts from morning to late evening, I'm okay. But big phones are a no-no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks