Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 16:15   #27586
BHPian

My wife's OP3T got an update recently to Oxygen 5.0.4 and after this her camera is not focusing on text properly. Scanning documents etc is a problem. My Op5 has oxygen 5.1.4 and has no such issue. She is very sure it was after the update. Any ideas? There are no updates for her at this point. Should I be trying a custom ROM?
Old 9th August 2018, 17:02   #27587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My wife's OP3T got an update recently to Oxygen 5.0.4 and after this her camera is not focusing on text properly. Scanning documents etc is a problem. My Op5 has oxygen 5.1.4 and has no such issue. She is very sure it was after the update. Any ideas? There are no updates for her at this point. Should I be trying a custom ROM?

There is a silent recall on the OP3T, for the same issue. I know of this because a friend had a similar issue. They replaced the camera out of warranty, FOC.
Old 9th August 2018, 17:04   #27588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
There is a silent recall on the OP3T, for the same issue.
Thanks for that, will check and revert. I had taken extended warranty for a year for her and will see if it is still in force anyway.
Update: I called and spoke to support, they mentioned I don't have extended warranty and that I can contact the service center for the recall but she wouldn't commit that it was there. I checked my purchase and realize I had taken the water and accidental damage for year 1 and had not included the extended warranty.

Last edited by diyguy : 9th August 2018 at 17:24.
Old 9th August 2018, 17:53   #27589
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:

I also have OP3T and i updated to 5.0.4 but don't have any issues with the camera. I have used both stock and google camera. However, i have gone back to Nouget because of other issues. Last time i updated to 5.0.3, i had terrible battery drain and sound issues, where in after pairing the phone with my bluetooth speaker and unpairing, the sound from call/message would be almost in audible. The same is not fixed in 5.0.4 plus numerous other niggling issues.

I would suggest going back to Nouget and wait for Android P update. This is assuming that P will be more stable than half baked Oreo. You can refer to OP forum to get a pulse of folks struggling on 5.0.4
Old 9th August 2018, 19:11   #27590
BHPian

OP6 users, anyone facing issues with wifi roaming with the same SSID? I have my WiFi router and an extender, and it doesn't connect seamlessly when I move from my living room to my bed room. I have to turn off and on WiFi to resolve this every time
Old 9th August 2018, 21:30   #27591
BHPian

Quote:
My wife's OP3T got an update recently to Oxygen 5.0.4 and after this her camera is not focusing on text properly. Scanning documents etc is a problem.
Hi.

I have the same model, with the latest updates installed. So far, no issues seen.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1533830390374.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th August 2018 at 10:15. Reason: Removing excess attachments of newspaper clicks and peanut butter ;)
Old 9th August 2018, 21:45   #27592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I have the same model, with the latest updates installed.
Thank you for sharing. I will try a revoke to an earlier version before going to the service center.
Old 9th August 2018, 22:58   #27593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The Mi A1 went out of stock online as soon as the Note 5 series was launched. I was able to find a lot of A1s in the Mi home stores (physical stores) but this was about 3-4 months back.

You could try your luck at any of the Mi stores in Phoenix mall or Forum mall.
Planning to try Express Avenue, I called in at a local Poorvika, and they had one Mi A1 in stock. I wanted gold or rose gold: this was gold. I bought it. At a slight premium, perhaps, but it saved a lot of driving.

The transaction was not entirely smooth. The guy applied the supplied screen protector (these people do this stuff all day, right?) and made a mess of it. They then tried to sell me a glass protector, MRP 899 at a special "discounted" price of 500... forgetting that they had already tried to sell it to me at that price!

To bring things to a conclusion, I offered them 200 for the protective glass, which they accepted. Possibly an indication of very high margins on that stuff? Hey, bet it was 99 on Amazon

Anyway, it's my phone now, and I'm easing myself into it!
Old 9th August 2018, 23:15   #27594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

To bring things to a conclusion, I offered them 200 for the protective glass, which they accepted. Possibly an indication of very high margins on that stuff? Hey, bet it was 99 on Amazon
Actually in the offline market the clear tempered glass screen protector costs ₹30, nano and 5D costs ₹50-₹100, and actual curved glass protector ₹150 and above. They are generally way overpriced on online stores. If the one that was applied on your phone doesn't stick to the edges it's the ₹30 tempered glass, if the edges and top are of the same color as the phone which in case of your phone would be white, it's worth about ₹100, and if it really has curved edges, you got your money's worth, which I highly doubt.

Last edited by wrongturn : 9th August 2018 at 23:19.
Old 10th August 2018, 00:06   #27595
BHPian

The cracked LCD of my Redmi 4 was replaced with a new one. Since, the time i got the phone back after replacement i have been facing issues of call connectivity, unable to make or take calls, voice of the caller not being heard etc. I suspect it's got something to do with the antenna which the service guy must have fiddled with. I gave it for recheck and told them to fix it since the issue wasn't there before i gave it to them. They replaced the sub board saying the issue was with it and gave me the phone back. That hasn't resolved the issue either.

What do u guys suggest?
Old 10th August 2018, 09:41   #27596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
OP6 users, anyone facing issues with wifi roaming with the same SSID?
Nope. I have main Wifi + range extender at home, and 4 APs at office. No issues seen (I asked the wife to come to office just to check this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Really? I thought there was no bloatware on One Plus and that it Oxygen OS is extremely close to stock Android!
I figured it out. For many categories there is one com.google.android.* application and one com.oneplus.* application. The latter set are system applications (so can't uninstall, only disable) and are not seen in Play Store.

Currently I see: calculator, clock, SMS app, photos manager and maybe one/two more.

Oxygen OS is definitely not close to stock Android. For one, it defaults to a different font than Android's standard Roboto (it offers the choice at setup time but tells us their choice is "recommended") so the look & feel is totally different.
Old 10th August 2018, 17:03   #27597
BHPian

Hi.

Back in the 2nd week of June 2018, I had set out to buy the MI 5 Note Pro for my mom.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4416391

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4416830

Almost decided to conclude the transaction at the MI store, when my mom back tracked and said she is actually ok with her existing MI 4i, and there was no need to spend 15k on a new phone.

I knew the MI 4i had gone past it's usable life with the limited 16 GB in-built memory and 2 GB RAM. I gave in, and didn't complete the purchase, and my parents returned to our hometown.

2 months now, she is sending me screen shots daily on how the phone isn't performing well, how it's lagging at executing minor tasks, and the horrendous Jio4GVoice app.

On the face, I told her to keep using it since she loves it so much, but I have decided to order her either of the 2 phones mentioned below, from Flipkart. Good offers going on currently.

Users of Asus ZenFone Max Pro 1 & MI Note 5 Pro -

1) Is your phone getting monthly Android updates? Can you pls. share the current patch level?

2) Asus comes with Oreo from factory. Did the MI phone get Oreo update (8.1)?

This post from abhinav.s confirms Oreo not released for the MI phone, but MIUI is being updated regularly - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4416868

3) Camera is not the USP of the Asus phone, in my opinion - when compared with other < 15k models. Is there improvement seen in camera after software update?

4) Advantage MI Note 5 Pro - comes with Wi-Fi AC standard

5) Advantage Asus - Updates to Android P & Q guaranteed. Dedicated memory card slot, expandable to 2 TB.

What, in your opinion, will I be losing out on should I choose to go ahead with the Asus?

Honestly, if the camera on the Asus is not a deal breaker, and if security updates are committed for at least 18 months, I am ok with Asus.

Mostly, the following apps will be installed on her phone -

Malware Bytes
Amazon
PayTM
Google Tez
HDFC Bank Mobile App
WhatsApp
Facebook ( I am trying to get her away from this)
YouTube
My Jio
Jio TV
GMail
Google Duo
Google Photos

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 10th August 2018 at 17:06.
Old 10th August 2018, 17:13   #27598
BHPian

Quote:
Try clearing app data for the camera app from settings.
If that doesn't work try clearing cache from the recovery.
To unlock developer options go to settings>about phone and tap build number 7 times.
To boot into recovery enable advance boot menu from developer options.
Press and hold power button and tap reboot and recovery option should come up.
Reboot to recovery select English and select wipe and select cache.
And reboot the phone.
Old 10th August 2018, 18:27   #27599
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi.

Users of Asus ZenFone Max Pro 1 & MI Note 5 Pro -

Honestly, if the camera on the Asus is not a deal breaker, and if security updates are committed for at least 18 months, I am ok with Asus.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
If you are going for the Asus, buy the 6 GB RAM version because they have upgraded the camera spec on this compared to the 3GB/4GB variants.

The 3GB/4GB variants have 13MP+5MP dual rear cameras and an 8MP front camera, while the 6GB variant has 16MP+5MP dual rear cams and a 16MP front cam.

I bought it last week for my parents and so far they are happy with it.

If you are considering an MI phone and are particular about regular updates, then make sure it comes with stock android (one of those AndroidOne devices which guarantees a couple of version updates), and not with the MIUI skin on top. So the MI A2 is your best bet here. I am currently using the good old Redmi Note 3, and in the last 2.5 years, I have received only one real Android update (from Lollipop to Marshmallow), though the MIUI version keeps getting updated.

Last edited by Oxy : 10th August 2018 at 18:42.
Old 10th August 2018, 21:26   #27600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Actually in the offline market the clear tempered glass screen protector costs ₹30, nano and 5D costs ₹50-₹100, and actual curved glass protector ₹150 and above. They are generally way overpriced on online stores. If the one that was applied on your phone doesn't stick to the edges it's the ₹30 tempered glass, if the edges and top are of the same color as the phone which in case of your phone would be white, it's worth about ₹100, and if it really has curved edges, you got your money's worth, which I highly doubt.
I think it is a cheap thing. Good thing I didn't pay rs500 for it in the first place!

Actually, I'd rather not have a glass screen. I am not going to be keeping the phone unprotected in my pocket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks