Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 20:14   #27721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
OTP - it says One Time Password. If my transaction is done, I need not worry about that OTP sitting in my sms inbox, and Microsoft reading it.
I find the not-to-share warning on OTPs quite funny. What good is six-digit number, out of context, to anyone else? I'm sure some sort of man-in-the-middle attack is possible, but it would surely require that the purpose of the OTP had already been hacked.

Am I wrong about that? I know this is not a security thread, but these things have become a big part of our mobile-phone life.

If I am not wrong, then I believe that security is better served by real warnings about real risks, not by watered down warnings plastered on everything.
Old 31st August 2018, 20:24   #27722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I find the not-to-share warning on OTPs quite funny. What good is six-digit number, out of context, to anyone else? I'm sure some sort of man-in-the-middle attack is possible, but it would surely require that the purpose of the OTP had already been hacked.
It is social engineering that one needs to worry about. Numerous reports of people happily sharing OTP to whoever calls and asks. Hence the warning.

Eg:

1. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...otp-fraud.html (retired banker)

2. http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...m-1762387.html (ex-military)

3. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/58707147.cms (businessman)
Old 31st August 2018, 20:29   #27723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is social engineering that one needs to worry about. ... ... ...
Thus, encouraging the habit of not doing anything with an OTP, PIN, etc etc, other than typing it into the field it is meant for, is a good thing. Point taken.
Old 1st September 2018, 10:47   #27724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Microsoft SMS organiser
Quote:
Microsoft SMS Organizer.

Will sort your messages in multiple categories, helping you focus effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This has to be the best SMS organizer app. With the amount of spam marketing SMSs, it is very easy to miss important SMS. Not anymore with this app though. I have had good experience with this and built-in reminders have actually saved me a couple of times from defaulting on credit card payments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
PS : I know nothing is private on the web now but will still not give away data like OTPs to any third party app.
Quote:
Absolutely!
There's a difference in being alert and being paranoid!
The moment a device connects to internet, Privacy becomes a variable factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I have stopped worrying about the privacy thing and accepted that there is no privacy at all. The only way to stay safe then is to be vigilant, use strong passwords, unique to each account and use 2-factor authentication where available.
Thanks for all. I have started using it already and like it. It is simple yet functional. No clutter or promotional material. It has already made my life easy. OTPs are time valid for 100sec etc and this app has an option to delete older OTPs after one day, nice way to clear junk.
Old 1st September 2018, 15:18   #27725
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer to be free of all things Microsoft, but those features do sound really useful!

I have not yet installed it on this phone, but I was using Truecaller to block both spam calls and spam SMS. It's great for that... But none of the above-listed SMS usefulness
Old 1st September 2018, 19:49   #27726
BHPian

I just stumbled upon this app today on xda. It is for rooted phones.

I can share my vpn by turning my phone to a repeater. Useful when you want to share your vpn to access US Netflix on smart TV.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...wi-fi-t3741604

I'm not associated with the dev in anyway. Just wanted to share it here. It is free app.

Last edited by atulsian : 1st September 2018 at 19:50.
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:54   #27727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you - So, in a nutshell, Poco is a glorified Note4\Note5. I am now getting more and more inclined towards OP6.

--Anoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Has anyone seen the Poco phone F1 in flesh at one of the Mi stores?
Hi Anoop and Naveen,

Below are the first impressions.

POCO is a great device. It's fast, very fast. It has a great camera, great battery life, great face unlock that works in dark and fast charging.

The camera seems to better, much better than what I have used before, including OP3. So, while OP6 would be better, I don't think there would be a lot of difference. What really pleased me was the original colors, it captures nearly same color temperature as your eyes see. It is usually a strong point of Nokia phones, but OP usually goes overboard with both saturation and exposures. While OP would be better for low light shots and videos due to OIS and wider aperture, I am quite happy with POCO for most of the lighting conditions.

The screen quality is a notch less than Oneplus, though good enough, really good enough. But, that's the only place where Oneplus wins outright.

In our experience with Honor phones (8 PRO), while it looked tremendous during the use with Quad HD screen and better than Oneplus cameras, it was brittle - the screen got cracks during small falls, even with a bumper cover. This happened with 2 of the 3 phones in our circle. So, we stay away from Honor top end devices.

To sum up, POCO isn't a glorified Note4/5. OP6 is a glorified POCO. We can relate it to Superb to A4 kind of a thing. Note4/5 is a bit of a insult to what POCO offers, to be honest.

Last edited by atnyia : 3rd September 2018 at 10:56.
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:48   #27728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
POCO is a great device.
I read online that Poco's hardware is not capable of playing HD content from Netflix and the like.

https://www.androidpure.com/poco-f1-...devine-l1-drm/

Depending on your use-cases, this might be a show-stopper.
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:22   #27729
BHPian

Quote:

If such things matter to anyone comparing at 400 ppis, POCO's IPS LCD would a bigger let down than this. AMOLED are better. Go for Oneplus, simple choice.

Oneplus is definitely a better quality and more premium device. But for 15 K price difference? Take your pick.
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:40   #27730
Team-BHP Support

I have just downloaded and started using the MS SMS Organiser. First impression is very very good. Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:59   #27731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anoop and Naveen,

Below are the first impressions.

POCO is a great device. It's fast, very fast. It has a great camera, great battery life, great face unlock that works in dark and fast charging.

To sum up, POCO isn't a glorified Note4/5. OP6 is a glorified POCO. We can relate it to Superb to A4 kind of a thing. Note4/5 is a bit of a insult to what POCO offers, to be honest.
Thank you! Happy to know that Poco punched well above its weight.

Can you please check if you can play Amazon prime videos on Poco? I watch a lot of Amazon Prime content on phone and if I can't stream HD from Prime, that is a real bummer.

Quote:
I read online that Poco's hardware is not capable of playing HD content from Netflix and the like.

https://www.androidpure.com/poco-f1-...devine-l1-drm/

Thank you for the shout out!

--Anoop
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:17   #27732
BHPian

That's what I have been doing during the weekend.
I am not sure if it serves the intended purpose but I have attached a screenshot as a reference.
I personally don't see a quality problem with the app or streaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1535964078756.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2018, 14:55   #27733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's what I have been doing during the weekend.
I am not sure if it serves the intended purpose but I have attached a screenshot as a reference.
I personally don't see a quality problem with the app or streaming.
Perfect.

Incidentally, was binge-watching the same on my mobile too, over the weekend.

--Anoop
Old 4th September 2018, 03:31   #27734
Distinguished - BHPian

Deep Techie Help Needed!

I've been so happy with my Mi A1, with its rootability, with Magisk, etc etc until... A couple of days ago, it stopped sending SMSs.

Can't send with Vodafone in error 38

There's a heap of google responses to this error-38 situation, over many years and many countries, and, for most people, it is just a case of putting/correcting the SMSMC number. Many can access this through their messaging app settings too.

In my case, not so lucky. It is only accessible through digging a little deeper, into the *#"#4636#*#* testing menus. We checked with Vodafone customer service for the right number --- and it still didn't work.

Being reluctant techie nightbird (I can mostly resist it) and I set to messing with the network types on that page. They are mostly just a bunch of letters to me (except: CDMA? I vaguely thought our networks were GSM?) but I could, by changing them, occasionally send an SMS --- but at the cost of LTE/4G connectivity.

This is the page I am talking about...

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180904025955.png Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180904030004.png

Pic 1 is the "original" setting. Pic 2 is just a few of the choices.

What should the nework type for a 4G/LTE (and VoLTE, I think) Vodafone (Chennai) SIM be?
Old 4th September 2018, 12:58   #27735
BHPian

A quick update for those considering the Poco F1. I just got mine a couple of days back. While it's a great package for it's price I found one annoying issue with it, Android Auto.

When connected to car HU, the display does not render properly in the car. There are two black bars at the top and bottom and the interface is unresponsive to touch.

A quick Google search revealed that this is a known issue on most of the phones with notches, even OP6 and Xiaomi Mi8. While OnePlus was quick to resolve the same issue on the OP6 through an OTA, Xiaomi is yet to come up with a solution even for the Mi8 which has been out for long now.

So if you are someone who uses Android Auto in the car, I would recommend staying away from Poco F1.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1536046084540.jpg  

Last edited by Auto freak : 4th September 2018 at 12:59.

Most Viewed