Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2018, 15:47   #27736
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Deep Techie Help Needed!

I've been so happy with my Mi A1, with its rootability, with Magisk, etc etc until... A couple of days ago, it stopped sending SMSs.

Can't send with Vodafone in error 38

There's a heap of google responses to this error-38 situation, over many years and many countries, and, for most people, it is just a case of putting/correcting the SMSMC number. Many can access this through their messaging app settings too.

In my case, not so lucky. It is only accessible through digging a little deeper, into the *#"#4636#*#* testing menus. We checked with Vodafone customer service for the right number --- and it still didn't work.
I once had same issue with Lineage OS on nexus 6. One of the update + app update able to corrupt SMSC number. If I remember correctly, I couldn't make it work just entering SMSC number. One should encode the number in PDU Encoder like here... Once I did that, SMS started working for me.
An alternate method stated at this link, which says you can remove the sim and put it in another phone (non-Android) and set the number.
I am sorry Thad if I sent you in wrong direction.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 4th September 2018 at 15:48. Reason: Updated spaces...
Old 4th September 2018, 16:35   #27737
BHPian

Quote:
Deep Techie Help Needed!

I've been so happy with my Mi A1, with its rootability, with Magisk, etc etc until... A couple of days ago, it stopped sending SMSs.

Can't send with Vodafone in error 38
Similar thing happened to my Dad's phone about 6 months back. Later it was found that the SMS was not going simply because there was no balance in his account and the plan that he subscribed was not having 'free SMS' in the package. Recharging the phone balance solved the issue. However I do not remember the error that was received then.
Old 4th September 2018, 16:55   #27738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
That's what I have been doing during the weekend.
I am not sure if it serves the intended purpose but I have attached a screenshot as a reference.
I personally don't see a quality problem with the app or streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Can you please check if you can play Amazon prime videos on Poco? I watch a lot of Amazon Prime content on phone and if I can't stream HD from Prime, that is a real bummer.

Thank you for the shout out!

--Anoop
Poco F1 can't play HD videos from Amazon Prime or Netflix as it doesn't have Widewine L1 level DRM. It only has L3 level which allows playback upto 540p.
Old 4th September 2018, 17:37   #27739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Poco F1 can't play HD videos from Amazon Prime or Netflix as it doesn't have Widewine L1 level DRM.
So, while guys keep bringing it up again, I just want to mention it one last time.

There could be a technical limitation but I haven't felt any perceptible difference with streaming quality across a variety of devices, apart from Honor 8 Pro which rendered HD content distinctly better.

But Honor 8 Pro is quad HD and other are 400 ppis.

Last year's Oneplus devices also had such theoretical problems but guess not too many people let it affect their decisions.

It's a bit of Deja Vu for me. I baffled everyone at my office in 2014 July when I sold my Note 3 Neo and purchased Mi 3. Everyone was circumspect of 'chinese' phones back then. 14 K was too good to be true and people would usually highlight trivial things. Then in 2017, everyone has a Redmi phone to themselves or to their spouse.

The best reason to reject POCO is its IPS display.

Last edited by atnyia : 4th September 2018 at 17:38.
Old 4th September 2018, 18:23   #27740
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to the guys suggesting solutions to my error 38. Very much appreciated

Here's a thing... After hours of work and faffing around, including resetting phone twice (the first time was an accident), I just tried from a hotel and it worked.

So problem is gone, intermittent, or a local Vodafone issue. Fingers crossed that it will work when I get home!
Old 4th September 2018, 20:51   #27741
Distinguished - BHPian

Home, Later...

I have SMS and 4G. But the HD has gone from my status line.
Old 4th September 2018, 21:40   #27742
BHPian

Quote:
Home, Later...

I have SMS and 4G. But the HD has gone from my status line.
did you check 'Enhanced 4G LTE Mode' setting?
Old 4th September 2018, 22:13   #27743
Distinguished - BHPian

It used to be on. Thanks, I'll look. (Edit: it is on)

Actually, I use SMS/WhatsApp for communication much more than voice, although, when I do have to talk on the phone, it has to support my poor hearing. So far, this phone has been loud and clear.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th September 2018 at 22:15.
Old 5th September 2018, 00:26   #27744
BHPian

Quote:
Deep Techie Help Needed!
What should the nework type for a 4G/LTE (and VoLTE, I think) Vodafone (Chennai) SIM be?

I checked on my Mi Max 2 & its defaulted on LTE/TD-SCDMA/UMTS
Try that out at your end. It works with a Jio+Airtel combo
Old 5th September 2018, 01:12   #27745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
I checked on my Mi Max 2 & its defaulted on LTE/TD-SCDMA/UMTS ...
Thanks. I've noted that, and will give it a try next time I pluck up the courage to delve into that stuff. After some hours of hard work, I am going to stick with what I've got just now. I suspect that most of the people I'm going to be speaking to do not have HD capabilities on their phones. I had never heard of it before, and was only prompted to look it up by a conversation with one other person who didn't know what it meant on his phone either

Again, thanks for checking that out for me
Old 5th September 2018, 05:54   #27746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What should the nework type for a 4G/LTE (and VoLTE, I think) Vodafone (Chennai) SIM be?
Try with the ones that have both UMTS and LTE. From my limited knowledge of the mobile technology alphabet soup, UMTS is the superset of GSM that allows 3G speeds.

Quote:
There could be a technical limitation but I haven't felt any perceptible difference with streaming quality across a variety of devices, apart from Honor 8 Pro which rendered HD content distinctly better.
That's quite a surprise; since from what I read the Poco is limited to a max of 540p (in real life, that means 480p I guess) when playing DRM-enabled content like Netflix/Prime etc.

I did a quick test on my Moto Z2 Play (limited Amazon Prime & Youtube to 480p); the quality difference is palpable.

Quote:
Last year's Oneplus devices also had such theoretical problems but guess not too many people let it affect their decisions.
I think it created such an uproar that OP was forced to "recall" their phones.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th September 2018 at 08:48. Reason: merging back to back posts. please use the edit option when replying within 30mins.
Old 5th September 2018, 16:45   #27747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Try with the ones that have both UMTS and LTE. From my limited knowledge of the mobile technology alphabet soup, UMTS is the superset of GSM that allows 3G speeds. ...
Thanks! It certainly is a head-scratching soup
Old 5th September 2018, 18:12   #27748
BHPian

- Can experts suggest a newly launched android phone within 20k.
Looking at the Nokia 6.1 plus/ Honor Play/ Moto G6 plus (yet to be launched).
(Don't want a POCO)

- Is the OP 6t releasing in October or January?
Old 6th September 2018, 13:18   #27749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That's quite a surprise; since from what I read the Poco is limited to a max of 540p (in real life, that means 480p I guess) when playing DRM-enabled content like Netflix/Prime etc.

I did a quick test on my Moto Z2 Play (limited Amazon Prime & Youtube to 480p); the quality difference is palpable.
Binand, I checked this thoroughly again, including other devices as well. On Amazon prime, changing streaming quality to best, better or good wasn't making any difference. Because, it was throttled at 480 maybe. While 480 isn't bad and I realized that I stream pretty much everything at 480 on mobile and probably that's why I originally thought this issue to be largely theoretical; but when I went back to other apps and other phones and put the POCO side by side, there is definitely a difference.

So, while Jay Mani has said that they are looking into the issue, this might or might NOT result into a recall. Thus, buyers like me just could be stuck with 480 forever.

While this doesn't affect me currently as I watch everything at 480 anyway, and it would not have had hindered my buying decision in hindsight even, I don't recommend anyone to buy POCO anymore, until they resolve this. I hope they do with next batches.
Old 6th September 2018, 15:30   #27750
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
- Can experts suggest a newly launched android phone within 20k.
Looking at the Nokia 6.1 plus/ Honor Play/ Moto G6 plus (yet to be launched).
(Don't want a POCO)

- Is the OP 6t releasing in October or January?
The Vivo V11 Pro is out today priced at 26k, but has some good launch offers - 2k instant discount on HDFC cards as well as 2k exchange bonus. Check that out, it looks interesting. Available on Amazon and Flipkart.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks