Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 14:58   #27781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thanks all! Had a stroke of luck; my mom's agreed to give back the S8; so the problem's solved (maybe for a year atleast). I wonder if she's been reading this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Give that A8 to her and you may take that S8 back
Although I concur with your point; I might just buy her a A8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
@ninjatalli I'd agree with Sheel and say go for the Note8 or S8/S8+ as they are IP67 (or is it IP68?) rated and are still very good hardware and are now cheaper because of being a generation old. Also check around on Paytm and Tatacliq along with Amazon and Flipkart. The only downside is TouchWiz which you have to grin and bear.
Don't need to buy one; already have it for a year

More than the TouchWiz is the stupid Bixby button on the phone; I absolutely hate it and find it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
get an One Plus 6. My reasons -
  • Better screen - AMOLED on OP6 Vs LCD on Poco
  • Water resistance - OP6 is certified water resistant (not IP67 though) Vs pushing your luck with Poco
Na - has to be IP67 minimum; I really don't want to think twice on water issues. The S8 has been wonderful on that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I picked up mine for 45K on sale.
Wow! That was indeed a good deal! Weird thing - Pixel (32GB) is available for a ridiculous price of 50k+; while Pixel XL although out of stock, is showing at a much cheaper price.
Old 19th September 2018, 15:13   #27782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Pixel 3/3 XL are coming on October 9 so buying the Pixel 2 XL now doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Specially when @ninjatalli says he doesn't really have a limited budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
He did mention that he don't want to go beyond 30K, hence suggested the XL 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Pixel XL 2 is priced more or less at par with other flagships in India (source). Nears double the budget being discussed here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Amazon sells in grey I think. Flipkart is the only seller and its out of stock right now. Might be back in few weeks.
I picked up mine for 45K on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
Need some pointers. Been on the fence (with Apple) since last year; my primary phone has been the iphone for the last 4+ years. Got an excellent deal on Samsung S8 last year;
Now I feel I'm done with the apple journey for now; at the crossroads asking the quintessential question - which phone next?

Option A
My needs (in order of priority)
- Waterproof & ruggard (I do a lot of running/cycling in the rain/outdoors)
- Decent specs (nothing earth shattering required)

Although I don't have a budget limit, I don't want to go beyond 30K. Also how good is the Samsung A8?

Option B
An alternative to all of this is to get a phone for my mom and take back the S8 which satisfies all my current needs. If that alternative is to be taken, then what phone? (the ruggardness & waterproof is not relevant for her)
As suggested above, Pixel 2XL is retailing in excess of 45K (Current prices on both FK and Amazon are above 50K.

Since IP rating is your most important criterion The newest phone which will last you for couple of years is iPhone 7 retailing close to 35K. I recommend this (against your wish since you want to leave apple train) because:
1. You will be familiar with the phone.
2. Last iPhone you used was for 4+ years which means safe to say must have been iPhone 5/5s/5c so iPhone 7 will be a great upgrade.
3. Satisfies all your requirements

however if you are set against iOS, then i would suggest pocophone (Provided you can get your hands on it) over oneplus 6 simply on the basis of cost and your requirement of ruggedness since polycarbonate construction will anyways be more durable than glass construction of OP6 however both the phones do not have any IP rating. Your IP rating requirement can easibly be sorted through one of the zipper/baggy style cases available commonly online. I will not recommend any skinned android device unless it comes with top of the line processor thus Samsung A8 will not be my choice.

However if you go for option B i.e. take back S8 and give a new phone to your mother then also pocophone or Xiaomi A2 will be great options (However this will be at risk of upsetting your mother )

EDIT: Conundrum solved thus the above solution goes out of the window

Last edited by roamer012 : 19th September 2018 at 15:18.
Old 20th September 2018, 14:02   #27783
BHPian

Anyone using Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 ? Any major issues with the phone ?
Old 20th September 2018, 14:42   #27784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
There are network reception issues with Vodafone. I am using the 6GB variant. One peculiar issue that I find is that when I travel underground in Metro, the signal is lost. However, above ground, the phone does not catch the signal automatically 8/10 times. I have to put it in airplane mode and back for it to catch signal.
Old 21st September 2018, 13:18   #27785
BHPian

I am shocked reading the news that OnePlus is ditching the 3.5mm jack.

I wonder what is up with these phone companies.

Samsung has not yet contracted the notch bug and still has the 3.5mm jack, but what's the fascination with the glass back?

LG has retained the 3.5mm jack, but glass back and the notch?

Xiaomi seems to be holding on to its metal backs, but the jack is going out and the notch is in.

Notched display, glass back, missing 3.5mm jack - looks like there is no phone for me anymore. I think, I am going to be stuck with my Nokia 7 plus for a long long time.

ps: Just a rant. Let the party continue.
Old 21st September 2018, 14:44   #27786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I am shocked reading the news that OnePlus is ditching the 3.5mm jack.

I wonder what is up with these phone companies.

Notched display, glass back, missing 3.5mm jack - looks like there is no phone for me anymore. I think, I am going to be stuck with my Nokia 7 plus for a long long time.

ps: Just a rant. Let the party continue.
My take

1. Notch - Purely aesthetics, more of a fad rather than functionality.
2. Glass Back - Necessary evil in case one requires wireless charging, fewer antennae bands on body but since we associate non plastic (including polycarbonate) and more fragile materials with premium feel, thus the glass back. Many manufactures are going for glass back only for aesthetics and not even providing wireless charging.
3. 3.5mm jack - Lesser the openings & components, lesser the worry for IP certification and one less component for failure. Further with decreasing volume inside phone bodies, one has to choose between battery life and components which can be sacrificed. For apple its whole another story i.e. lightening to 3.55mm jack dongle costing around $9 is the highest selling accessory by volume. Lesser ports = more dongles = more money.

PS: I rely heavily on UAG cases for new age fragile phones, not associated with the brand just sharing good experience with it for last 5-6 years.
Old 21st September 2018, 15:07   #27787
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Maybe you can take a look at the Vivo V11 Pro. It does have a notch to house the front cam, but it's a very tiny one.
Old 21st September 2018, 16:39   #27788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,

Option A
My needs (in order of priority)
- Waterproof & ruggard (I do a lot of running/cycling in the rain/outdoors)
- Good camera (don't think I find value in the dual camera logic)
- Full screen (the current saga introduced by Samsung & later iPhone) models
- Decent specs (nothing earth shattering required)

Any help is much appreciated!
I think the LG G7+ Thinq fits your requirement. It retails around 40K ( readily available) in flipkart for the 6GB + 128GB variant.

It is IP68 Water and Dust Proof.
Its is MIL-STD-810G compliant.
Has a SD 845, QHD IPS LCD screen which is Dolby vision/ HDR 10 Compliant, wireless charging , hybrid slot with 2TB expandable storage , QUAD DAC for audio and norms for today's phones such as notch , dual rear camera etc.

The only issue as far as i'm concerned is the LG's UI(subjective) and the duration of Andriod upgrade.
Old 21st September 2018, 20:13   #27789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
The Asus is a lot of phone for the money. I got the 3x32GB variant as a cheap interim phone for the week my Nokia 8 was going to be at the service center. Its been over a fortnight I've got back the Nokia but I haven't bothered switching to the Nokia just yet.

About the issues, the fingerprint sensor has been resolved and front facing camera is also supposed to be working better after an update I received a few days back.
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:30   #27790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Chinese companies like Xiaomi reports the SAR value in their handsets. Not sure about the others like Oppo/Vivo.

https://gadgetstouse.com/news/sar-va...produces/21003
Thanks, mithun!
Had a chat with MI chatsupport. Though the numbers are on the web, wanted to hear from them. Not sure whether they referred to internal FCC records or picked it from from the web :-)

Head: 0.719 W/kg.
Body: 0.746 W/kg (distance 15 mm)

Regards
Rex
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:46   #27791
Senior - BHPian

iPhone comes with a global warranty if it is bought unlocked. Is there any Galaxy or other phone which has global warranty? Does a S9 or Note bought in US have a warranty in India?
Old 22nd September 2018, 20:04   #27792
Distinguished - BHPian

The GMail app on my One Plus 3T has stopped syncing since last few weeks. It won't show any email till I open the app. I've given the required permissions for syncing still it doesn't sync. What could be the issue?
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:14   #27793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
iPhone comes with a global warranty if it is bought unlocked
Not exactly, Apple will provide warranty only if the same model iPhone sold in the country you are trying to claim warranty.

For example, this year model XS is different in US and in India. In US, its A1920(gsm+cdma) and in India, it's A2097(gsm). So here warranty is not applicable for US bought phones. Of course these restrictions may not applicable for certain cases like battery replacement programs.
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:37   #27794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Not exactly, Apple will provide warranty only if the same model iPhone sold in the country you are trying to claim warranty.

Is there any way to find which Iphone models from US will have Indian warranty? Sorry for Apple question in Android thread!

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2018 at 06:12. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 22nd September 2018, 23:40   #27795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Will an unlocked iPhone XS bought from US work with Indian SIM card then?

Last edited by ampere : 23rd September 2018 at 06:12. Reason: trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed