Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 15:05   #28111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am sorely missing the built-in call recording which was available on 'Lenovo K6 Power' in my new device 'Asus Max Pro'. I assumed it's an android feature and should be available on all the brands/devices.

Is there anyway one can get this back on 'Max Pro'? Never thought of checking this 'feature' when I thought of Asus.

Please advise!
The built in call recording was there in my One Plus 5T as well. However, it seemed to have vanished as I can't see the option anymore.
Old 8th November 2018, 15:43   #28112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I think call recording is officially removed after new Android 9.0 update, citing 'privacy reasons'. This is perhaps the first time that Android has caught up with iOS in stupid policies. Now call recorder works only if you are using speakerphone, i.e. it will record loud speaker voices, not directly the calling person line.

Good reason to hang on to old Android versions!
Old 8th November 2018, 16:41   #28113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think call recording is officially removed after new Android 9.0 update, citing 'privacy reasons'. !
Thankfully OxygenOS didn't remove it; this is on the latest 9.0.2 version.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181108162255__01.jpg  

Old 8th November 2018, 17:14   #28114
Team-BHP Support

Banned as in unsupported on the Android platform as a whole, or just pushed out to 3rd party vendors with the platform bearing no responsibility?

I understand the privacy issue of people recording others without prior consent, but how about genuine use cases (documenting customer service interactions in a dispute, for example)?
Old 8th November 2018, 18:18   #28115
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know, but I think it might not be legal in some parts of the world. I guess they have to cater for the phone being sold everywhere.

Isn't it available as an app?
Old 8th November 2018, 20:08   #28116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't know, but I think it might not be legal in some parts of the world. I guess they have to cater for the phone being sold everywhere.

Isn't it available as an app?
I understand that apps also stop working on Pie unless it is a rooted phone.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...th-a-catch.htm

Quote:
With the release of its Android 9 Pie, Google has delivered a strong message, although indirectly, regarding recording phone conversations. Various countries have different laws that govern recording phone conversations and Google simply wants to avoid controversies that might affect its business in the future.
Quote:
This is perhaps the first time that Android has caught up with iOS in stupid policies.
At least in California, it is illegal to record a call without consent of all parties. Similar laws exist in other states and countries. Google obviously doesn't want to be an accessory before the fact. Can't fault them, really.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:38   #28117
Senior - BHPian

Android forgot the simple fact that one might want to record conversations with the consent or at least the knowledge of the other party. Every time we call a customer service, we are told that the call may be recorded for training purposes. With the removal of recording option, the user is denied the opportunity to record the same conversation, if he, in turn, may need it.

Recently, I received a phishing call asking me for details of my debit card - which had supposedly expired. I promptly recorded it and circulated it in my circle. A lot of people thanked me for this, with one elder gentleman narrating how he could have avoided succumbing to a similar fraud (he had lost 20k) had someone sent him such a recording earlier!

There are of course third party apps that can do this, but an inbuilt option is always better. MIUI still retains it though.
Old 11th November 2018, 08:37   #28118
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I tried a number of cases, including Spigen slim armor. It is not as slim, makes the phone look fat. In the end I settled with a simple Plus branded 179Rs cover. I have been using a similar cover for my other phones for more than a year and have been happy. I have also added an author grippr which is a simple 150rs stand that is tremendously useful on a tall phone like pixel 2 xl.

For tempered glass, I first bought a 100rs one from flipkart, but the screen of pixel 2 xl is curved, so it used to hang from the edges. Now I am using 'TrueUpgrade Google Pixel 2xl screen protector (5D glass), curved edge 5D Full Screen (Black)' bought from Amazon for 429, and am very happy. For a day or 2 there were some rainbow or oil spill effect on the screen. This is because there is no glue on the viewing area, the glue is only there on the borders. But after this, there is no such problem. The phone looks very premium now, no more air bubbles/ rainbow effect, and it is secured.

Thanks for the info. I had already ordered Spigen Slip Armour case from their site right after i booked the phone. I got it couple of days back and boy does it make the phone fat. It actually does not site well with the tempered glass cover i had on the phone. Where did you get the Plus branded case? Amazon? What about the grippr case? The ones i found at the local shop are average.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:11   #28119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
OnePlus3 and 3T are superb devices. Excellent build, runs fast enough for today's apps, dash charging support and very good cameras (esp OP3T with its 16MP front camera).

I recently upgraded from OP3T (the battery was dying) to an Asus Zenfone 5Z (@ 22.5K - flipkart sale) but looking back at my decision, I'm still thinking that just replacing the battery would have been a financially better decision.

Sure you get a faster processor, bigger screen etc but unless you are into gaming and stuff, you are not getting something significantly better. Comparing the OP3T camera with Zenfone 5Z and even OnePlus6, I just realized how good the OP3T camera was.
Thanks for your comments!

I finally went for a Pocofone F1 128 GB on Flipkart sale @20k. I didn't exchange the OP3, even though it was being quoted at around 9700 by FK. Rather kept OP3 in the family, as i feel its an iconic device and one of the best OnePlus' phones to ever come out (along with OP3T).

Talking about Poco F1, i feel its a decent upggrade in terms of rear camera quality, dual VoLTE support, a higher internal storage (64 GB of OP3 vs 128 GB) and a very good face unlocker which works even in the dark.

On the negative side, even thouth Poco F1 supports fast charging, its no where as quick as the OP3 Dash charging. However it is compensated to some amount by having a bigger battery (4000mah) which lasts well over 1.5 days.
Old 11th November 2018, 21:21   #28120
BHPian

My Nokia 7 plus is off to Servify for accidental repair after it slipped off my hands and landed on gravel. A hairline crack on the screen. Downsides of hating screen protectors.

Back to my "old" Honor 9 lite and although it feels like a downgrade in all aspects, for a change, am loving the smaller, lighter and more pocketable build. At 183gms, the 7 plus used to feel like a brick.

Alas they don't make many small, light phones anymore.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:46   #28121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My Nokia 7 plus is off to Servify for accidental repair after it slipped off my hands and landed on gravel. A hairline crack on the screen. Downsides of hating screen protectors.

Back to my "old" Honor 9 lite and although it feels like a downgrade in all aspects, for a change, am loving the smaller, lighter and more pocketable build. At 183gms, the 7 plus used to feel like a brick.

Alas they don't make many small, light phones anymore.
Is Servify a third party repair company like Totodoo? Do you use genuine replacement screens?
Old 12th November 2018, 10:50   #28122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is Servify a third party repair company like Totodoo? Do you use genuine replacement screens?
Its a third party insurance provider. I got it complimentary from Amazon along with purchase. They say, they do repairs at authorized service centers. And in some cities you have the option to take it to the authorized service center yourself. In my case, that option wasn't available for me in spite of a center being present in my city. Dunno what the deal is.

I hope I do get a genuine screen, but then, I don't know how to spot a fake.
Old 12th November 2018, 14:11   #28123
BHPian

How can one watch YouTube (only audio) on Android mobile after locking the screen?
Old 12th November 2018, 14:45   #28124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
How can one watch YouTube (only audio) on Android mobile after locking the screen?
Have read a few hacks suggesting to open the youtube website in browser instead of app to continue videos with screen locked. Haven't checked though if this works as expected.
Old 12th November 2018, 15:09   #28125
BHPian

Re: Call Recorder App?

Could any member suggest me a good call recording app which can record both party's voice? I am on Asus 'Max Pro' and I sorely miss this feature which was built in Lenovo 'K6 Power'.

Right now, have installed 'call recorder' app from 'Top Droid' team and it does NOT record the other party's voice.

Please advise!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks