Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
7,955,295 views Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 12:39   #28186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 61
Thanked: 40 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
It would help greatly if you (and others who seek advice) could let us know the brand and model of cellphone is being referred to. Not all Android phones are equal.

For instance, Samsung phones (to quote one example) allow you to move WhatsApp to the microSD card, so that the internal storage doesn't get choked by WhatsApp. They also have built-in tools (Storage Booster) to scan and free up space.

Also, install Files by Google, to automatically scan and clean up space on the phone. It is built using "Google smarts" to detect memes/forwards, and delete them.
Thanks Arun. It's a Samsung Galaxy J7 2015 model. I don't see an option to move WhatsApp to SD card. Can you tell me where I can find this option? Storage booster is there but that basically deletes the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
The problem with moving videos from phone to SD card is they can't be opened from WhatsApp anymore.
Are most WhatsApp videos worth saving?
Thanks. Yes I know that once you move the videos it cant be accessed from WhatsApp any more. That's why I'm looking for an option to move videos after a delay of 30 days. And most videos aren't worth saving, but there are some videos that she likes to keep (especially those of family members). I have asked her to delete the ones she doesn't want to see later, but that obviously that isn't working It's a bit of a hoarding tendency. She likes to keep old videos just in case she wants to see them later, but this keeps using up the storage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Well, there is an automation app for Android called Tasker. I used to use it a lot some years ago when my phone was rooted, but it's a bit complicated to set it up and set the automation scripts and stuff.

A far easier option is to set up your SD card as adoptable storage. Its a feature that was introduced with android 6.0, but not all phones support it out of the box. Go to your storage settings and see if you can set up your SD card as adoptable storage. It will make that as your internal storage, so you won't have to bother moving the WhatsApp data around.
Thanks. I don't see an option to set SD card as adoptable storage.I guess Samsung disables this. There are some videos that explain how this can be enabled via adb commands. Exploring this. Another possibility might be to install a custom ROM (such as LineageOS) which has this option enabled.

I also saw some pointers that a tasker script can get this done. Exploring this option also in parallel. I also saw an app called BFileSync that helps in moving files to SD after they are created, but the max delay is 2 hours.
ar@v1nd is offline  
Old 21st November 2018, 12:51   #28187
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,975
Thanked: 6,051 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
A far easier option is to set up your SD card as adoptable storage. Its a feature that was introduced with android 6.0, but not all phones support it out of the box.
Excellent point, I think this is the most transparent option, provided the manufacturer doesn't disable it (Samsung does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
It's a Samsung Galaxy J7 2015 model. I don't see an option to move WhatsApp to SD card. Can you tell me where I can find this option? Storage booster is there but that basically deletes the files.
Aah, I've seen this feature only on Samsung phones running Oreo, so I'm not sure if its on a 2015 model (I think that would be running Marshmallow/Nougat at the most).

Here's the screenshots of the option under Storage Booster, taken from a Galaxy A6+ (2018):

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181121124709_storage-booster.jpg Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20181121124714_storage-booster.jpg
arunphilip is offline  
Old 21st November 2018, 13:40   #28188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 61
Thanked: 40 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Aah, I've seen this feature only on Samsung phones running Oreo, so I'm not sure if its on a 2015 model (I think that would be running Marshmallow/Nougat at the most).

Here's the screenshots of the option under Storage Booster, taken from a Galaxy A6+ (2018):
Thanks Arun. I will check this out once I reach home but I don't recollect seeing WhatsApp in the list of apps that can be moved.
ar@v1nd is offline  
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:09   #28189
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,939
Thanked: 4,729 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@myavu; You should be prepared for the battery to give up the ghost any time. I do not think we expect much more than a couple of years from our phones. The engineering is also for three years max.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 23rd November 2018, 00:20   #28190
BHPian
 
Rohitj92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 67 Times

Got myself a OnePlus 6T last week. Quite disappointed with the camera, specially the portrait mode. Maybe I had higher expectations because I was used to the portrait mode on my friends iPhone 7plus.
Myself had the iPhone 7 and to be true, nothing comes closer to the iPhones if touch and interface is the thing
Rohitj92 is offline  
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:55   #28191
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 893
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is Servify a third party repair company like Totodoo? Do you use genuine replacement screens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Its a third party insurance provider. I got it complimentary from Amazon along with purchase. They say, they do repairs at authorized service centers. And in some cities you have the option to take it to the authorized service center yourself. In my case, that option wasn't available for me in spite of a center being present in my city. Dunno what the deal is.

I hope I do get a genuine screen, but then, I don't know how to spot a fake.

My phone is back, and although I am not able to verify whether the screen is genuine or not, overall they seem to have done a decent job. No visible gaps or misalignment, just a bit of glue residue on one side.

Overall the claim process, pickup, drop back etc were smooth except for the week it spent at the service waiting for the replacement part. Every mail sent to customer care were promptly replied to, which was in stark contrast to my experience activating the plan earlier.

It took about 6 months, numerous phone calls, emails etc and I had almost given up on them before I decided to give one final try. Finally after 6 months of trying the plan was active and, guess what, 8 days later the phone fell down and broke the screen. As if the phone was waiting for it.

Now my phone has gone back to its case and a plastic screen protector. I hate screen protectors - cases, not so much - but now that the insurance has been used up, I'd better use some protection.

Last edited by civic-sense : 23rd November 2018 at 10:57.
civic-sense is offline  
Old 23rd November 2018, 19:14   #28192
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida / Mumbai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For a day or 2 there were some rainbow or oil spill effect on the screen. This is because there is no glue on the viewing area, the glue is only there on the borders.
I used this for a couple of days and had touch latency issues due to no glue in middle. Is it working ok for you? I have asked amazon for a refund since the seller mentions 'glue on entire area'
lordvader is offline  
Old 25th November 2018, 20:11   #28193
BHPian
 
revvharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: DL
Posts: 273
Thanked: 1,090 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, anyone using Lenovo k9 or Redmi 6? How is the phone holding up if possible a short review , thinking to get one.
revvharder is offline  
Old 25th November 2018, 23:02   #28194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 214
Thanked: 180 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm switching to Android.
Apple is getting a little too expensive for me and I want to try Android.

I've done my browsing and have narrowed it down to the Motorola One Power and the Samsung J8/On8. The 2 are very different when it comes to processing and the OS but I listed the Samsung only because its in the 15k range and a dependable brand. Few who use the phone have given a very positive feedback about the Samsung phone but I'm not sure about the Motorola is these days as my last Motorola was a Moto X play bought years ago and its still holding up without skipping a beat in its performance.

Please suggest which to pick as I need it for very basic purposes.
no_boundaries is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 01:21   #28195
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 569
Thanked: 682 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My wife wanted a new phone, was excited to jump on the Apple bandwagon and some crazy good offers made it easier. So, got her an iphone 8. While it looks and feels good. I set that thing up today and I kept hitting snags trying to change default apps!
Cannot remove Safari, the stupid home icons. It made my resolve not to buy an iphone ever more.
Just frustrating is the lack of control you have that thing.

To people using the Galaxy S9, how is the fluidity? Can it compare to the OP devices? My OP3t is killing me with the battery backup (~2 hrs SOT)
pratyush6 is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 06:05   #28196
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,654
Thanked: 14,073 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
To people using the Galaxy S9, how is the fluidity? Can it compare to the OP devices? My OP3t is killing me with the battery backup (~2 hrs SOT)
If content with the OP3T otherwise, why not just do a battery change? There are several experiences of others on this thread, as well as it seems to be common outside the forum too. People are quite happy with the output.
ninjatalli is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 08:45   #28197
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 220
Thanked: 472 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm switching to Android.
Apple is getting a little too expensive for me and I want to try Android.

I've done my browsing and have narrowed it down to the Motorola One Power and the Samsung J8/On8. The 2 are very different when it comes to processing and the OS but I listed the Samsung only because its in the 15k range and a dependable brand. Few who use the phone have given a very positive feedback about the Samsung phone but I'm not sure about the Motorola is these days as my last Motorola was a Moto X play bought years ago and its still holding up without skipping a beat in its performance.

Please suggest which to pick as I need it for very basic purposes.
The Moto One Power weighs like 220 odd grams so will feel like a brick to hold. In my opinion you should stay away from it for that reason alone.

I would suggest the Nokia 6.1 Plus or even the Nokia 5.1 Plus (if you are not comfortable with the glass build of the 6.1 Plus), which are amazing value for money phones.

Also, if your usage is basic and you want only a Samsung, then give the On6 a look. It should suffice in your case.
Oxy is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 10:24   #28198
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 214
Thanked: 180 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
It should suffice in your case.
Thank you very much.
Will go over the specs and reviews.
no_boundaries is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 10:28   #28199
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 4,061
Thanked: 5,350 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Moto One Power weighs like 220 odd grams so will feel like a brick to hold. In my opinion you should stay away from it for that reason alone.

I would suggest the Nokia 6.1 Plus or even the Nokia 5.1 Plus (if you are not comfortable with the glass build of the 6.1 Plus), which are amazing value for money phones.

Also, if your usage is basic and you want only a Samsung, then give the On6 a look. It should suffice in your case.
After using Nokia 6.1+ of a colleague for some time, I can say that is the one of the best in the midrange Android devices. The compact form factor is such a pleasure to hold and operate. IMO that compact form factor coupled with 4GB RAM + SD636 is an amazing package. Coupled with goodies like Type C connector and quick charge 3.0, It is a very compelling package
sagarpadaki is offline  
Old 26th November 2018, 11:33   #28200
Senior - BHPian
 
SoumenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,687
Thanked: 5,975 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm switching to Android.
Apple is getting a little too expensive for me and I want to try Android.
Apple indeed is kinda expensive to maintain. I got a iPhone 6 for my wifey a couple of years back and its indeed fragile when it comes to the screen. Already burnt my fingers once replacing it for a simple 3 feet fall. OTOH my onePlus had many such falls without any issue. But then iPhones do have a very smooth touch feel and they kinda last longer than android devices in terms of performance.

Anyways I would concur with the below suggestions on trying out Nokia 6.1 plus. I got the suggestion here on TBHP itself and picked it up last week. Stock android experience has been pretty smooth and am loving it. At 15k its a good deal for sure. More so for me as I needed a compact phone. At 151gms its pretty light as well.

My only grudge is I expected a quicker recharge time. Currently it takes a little more than 2 hours to charge. But I guess it does support turbo-charging if we buy the charger separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
After using Nokia 6.1+ of a colleague for some time, I can say that is the one of the best in the midrange Android devices. The compact form factor is such a pleasure to hold and operate. IMO that compact form factor coupled with 4GB RAM + SD636 is an amazing package. Coupled with goodies like Type C connector and quick charge 3.0, It is a very compelling package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
...I would suggest the Nokia 6.1 Plus....
Some cool covers are available online. Got one from amazon
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20181121_115430.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20181121_115419.jpg

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th November 2018 at 11:37.
SoumenD is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks