Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2019, 18:42   #28411
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My Samsung USB 3.0 charger cable on my Samsing Galaxy S8 is giving up the ghost. I am seeing USB 3 not specifically mentioned on Amazon. Is that now the norm? How do I confirm.

I do not want a charger with a USB 2 cable.
Old 12th February 2019, 20:15   #28412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My Samsung USB 3.0 charger cable on my Samsing Galaxy S8 is giving up the ghost. I am seeing USB 3 not specifically mentioned on Amazon. Is that now the norm? How do I confirm.

I do not want a charger with a USB 2 cable.
Most Type-C micro USB connectors are USB 3.0 or above. That's why it is not specifically mentioned. One thing that you can see to confirm is that the USB connector (the wall adapter side) of the wire must have blue colour plastic inside the connector for USB 3.0 and above.

If we simply search for micro USB 3.0, it will lead to USB 3.0 Type-B connector. Galaxy Note 3 must have been the only phone with that connector
Old 13th February 2019, 11:19   #28413
BANNED

@hemanth.anand; My problem is that Amazon does not give you a panoramic view. the unit My original Samsung has a fixed cable at the wall end so I do not have the option of just changing the cable. I have to buy the wall unit plus the cable. Any suggestions.

I understand that almost all chargers are now USB 3.x. But still I do not wish to be stuck with a wrong connecter.
Old 13th February 2019, 13:15   #28414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have to buy the wall unit plus the cable. Any suggestions.

I understand that almost all chargers are now USB 3.x. But still I do not wish to be stuck with a wrong connecter.
If you want to be absolutely sure and have the peace of mind that only an OE product can give, then you should buy an OE product (it may be priced higher though)
Below is the link from Samsung Online Store for the travel adapter with type C connector. The specs mentions that it is fast charging and comes with 1.5mts of cable length
https://www.samsung.com/in/mobile-ac...pe-c-ta20iwec/
Old 13th February 2019, 16:09   #28415
BANNED

@hemanth.anand; I checked and found it. Is says Type-C travel adapter (15W).It is USB-A at one end and USB-3 at the other, has a 1.5m wire with a 2.0/1.67A rating. I did not find any convenient outlet, and but my old charger is still not dead, with my wife's unit as a backup.

I talked to one vendor in IITK Kanpur and he has it available so will get it next Tuesday when I make my weekly visit to the campus. Thanks a lot. Price is Rs.1190!
Old 13th February 2019, 17:49   #28416
Senior - BHPian

Anyone interested in the Galaxy S10?
Should be launched on Feb 20th. I am not sure about the India availability and potential pricing. If anyone has some news on the same, please share?

After not-so-good experience with the Pixel, I am planning to try Samsung. I hope their new UI is not as laggy buggy and clumsy as the previous one. I would have gone for the Pixel 3 but the price does not justify the hardware.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:32   #28417
Senior - BHPian

The new Samsung UI is indeed better than the old TouchWiz that their devices supported.
It is reasonably fluid and day to day usage is lag free. Finally Samsung has software to match their hardware. However, I would still place OP6 slightly ahead in terms of speed and lag free experience.
On a different note. I am not a fan of this new 'hole in the screen' trend that has taken over and which the new Samsung trio is also touted to sport. However, YMMV.
Old 13th February 2019, 19:14   #28418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Anyone interested in the Galaxy S10?
Should be launched on Feb 20th. I am not sure about the India availability and potential pricing. If anyone has some news on the same, please share?

After not-so-good experience with the Pixel, I am planning to try Samsung. I hope their new UI is not as laggy buggy and clumsy as the previous one. I would have gone for the Pixel 3 but the price does not justify the hardware.
It's on Feb 21 (or maybe Feb 20 US time is Feb 21 India time). I got this email but didn't register as I'm not changing my Note8 anytime soon.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-smartselect_20190213190056_gmail.jpg
The S10 and the Note10 is expected to take the experience one step higher especially with better split screen experience.
Old 13th February 2019, 20:12   #28419
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The Camera on my Note 9 started behaving oddly almost one month ago. Whenever the telephoto lens is used, on zooming or using portrait mode, the phone starts vibrating and is unable to focus. Wavy lines start appearing on the screen. The issue did not resolve after Android Pie update. I went to the service centre today. They reckon that the camera autofocus motor is faulty and the entire camera unit needs to be replaced. The part would arrive in 2 days. I was told that it's a 2 hour job and I would be given back the phone with 2 hours.

I liked the entire service experience, however I am wondering would my phone be water resistant, post repair?

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 13th February 2019 at 20:14.
Old 13th February 2019, 21:47   #28420
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using my s7 edge since 2 and half years and it's still going strong. The only grouse is the low battery back up. Recently got my wifes ip 6S's battery replaced as part of the Apple scheme and the change is phenomenal. You don't realize with every day gradual loss of battery capacity that how it's performance has degraded.
So went to Samsung store to get the battery replaced for my phone too. Strangely they wanted 3 hours for it and also told that all data would be lost. I wasn't sure if i wanted to go through the hassle of setting up the phone again from new. But how could Apple manage to do the same in less than 20 mins and without any data loss. Is the process in Samsung so tedious? Also how does changing the battery affect the data.
Old 13th February 2019, 22:02   #28421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have been using my s7 edge since 2 and half years and it's still going strong. The only grouse is the low battery back up. Recently got my wifes ip 6S's battery replaced as part of the Apple scheme and the change is phenomenal. You don't realize with every day gradual loss of battery capacity that how it's performance has degraded.
So went to Samsung store to get the battery replaced for my phone too. Strangely they wanted 3 hours for it and also told that all data would be lost. I wasn't sure if i wanted to go through the hassle of setting up the phone again from new. But how could Apple manage to do the same in less than 20 mins and without any data loss. Is the process in Samsung so tedious? Also how does changing the battery affect the data.
When I got the iphone battery replaced, they told they'll take 3 hours. We collected it much later, so no idea how long they took.
When I got my old Samsung phone's camera repaired for some reason, I was told that I'll lose data. I was also wondering why but anyway said ok. After the repair, nothing was lost.

All these sentences are just disclaimers from the service centre guys I feel. They just say the same things for every case.
Old 13th February 2019, 22:24   #28422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I liked the entire service experience, however I am wondering would my phone be water resistant, post repair?
Since the phone is going to be repaired by the service centre I am sure it will be done as per company specification and would retain its water resistance.

Rest assured, however, why don't you confirm with them when you get it done also.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2019, 23:08   #28423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
When I got the iphone battery replaced, they told they'll take 3 hours. We collected it much later, so no idea how long they took.
I waited at the Apple store itself and they gave it back in 20 minutes. Even quoted 20 to 25 mins before taking the phone in.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:59   #28424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

All these sentences are just disclaimers from the service centre guys I feel. They just say the same things for every case.
Yes, these are just disclaimers to ensure that the service center is on the safe side if something goes wrong . Hardware changes do not result in data being erased. This disclaimer is given by all service providers before they take the phone for any repair. However , i have not lost any data for the battery change, display change, network antenna cable change on Samsung,LG,Asus phones till now.
Old 14th February 2019, 12:21   #28425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
however I am wondering would my phone be water resistant, post repair?

I have my doubts on this. A human opened and closed phone would lose the water resistance v/s a machine sealed phone in the factory. If they replace the seals/gaskets/linings, that are used to make it resistant, I would give it a fair chance of being resistant, however a vacuum sealed product once opened cannot be restored to the original condition without the intervention of assembly line machines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks