Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 16:25   #28576
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just read that Dual Sim activation is finally going to be a software enabled option on the pixel series!

Is this true and is it applicable for the Indian Pixel series? Solves a huge problem, atleast for me!

Wonder if I should wait for the Pixel 4. That Pixel camera is just outrageously good.
Yes, after the latest Android Q beta update on Pixel 3/XL, Dual SIM Dual Standby has been activated. Earlier it was Dual SIM Single Standby, with either of the Physical SIM or the eSIM being active at a time. Now both works.
And since it's enabled on the Pixel 3/XL, it should definitely come on the Pixel 4 as well.
Old 5th April 2019, 16:35   #28577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSuz View Post
Yes, after the latest Android Q beta update on Pixel 3/XL, Dual SIM Dual Standby has been activated. Earlier it was Dual SIM Single Standby, with either of the Physical SIM or the eSIM being active at a time. Now both works.
And since it's enabled on the Pixel 3/XL, it should definitely come on the Pixel 4 as well.
Then I think the Pixel 4 should just seal the deal provided it comes with a clutch of rear cameras to do different kinds of shots. Hope they ace it!

Do they usually launch in October?
Old 5th April 2019, 16:38   #28578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Then I think the Pixel 4 should just seal the deal provided it comes with a clutch of rear cameras to do different kinds of shots. Hope they ace it!

Do they usually launch in October?
Yes, the previous iterations were launched in October. So most likely by end of Oct or early Nov 2019, they should be on sale in India.
Old 5th April 2019, 20:15   #28579
BHPian

I was searching for a decent specced Android phone in the range of 30-40k, with a smaller screen (6 inch or lower), preferably punch hole or worst case notch as Bezel-less will be the norm in 2019. Samsung S10e would be the ideal choice, but the higher price tag plus a poor battery (I want one full day solid battery and done with charging twice a day in the iphone) is not something I prefer.

It seems there are only very few options like
1. Honor View 20 (punch hole) - but bad camera, no gorilla glass in front also .
2. One Plus 6T - Looks boring but best in that price range.
3. PocoFone F1 - Looks boring and battery tests in youtube shows heavy battery drain.
4. Asus 5Z - Not great battery.
5. Pixel - I guess it has thick/big bezels.
6. Huawei P30 is expected to come in 60k and I am not sure how people would even think about it beyond S10 and Apple Xs.

And all these are of large screens. Why companies don't give us something in the range of 5.5 inch full display (Bezels are out of fashion).

Please suggest if there are some good flagship models which can be used for 2 years minimum.
Old 5th April 2019, 20:56   #28580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I

Please suggest if there are some good flagship models which can be used for 2 years minimum.
Asus zenfone 5z is a good overall phone and battery management is stellar easily lasting one full day. The battery management will take time to adjust to your usage pattern though before delivering the desired results. The only negative point about the phone is that security updates are patchy.

Why don't you try Samsung A50?

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 5th April 2019 at 20:57.
Old 5th April 2019, 21:15   #28581
BHPian

Quote:
I was searching for a decent specced Android phone in the range of 30-40k, with a smaller screen (6 inch or lower), preferably punch hole or worst case notch as Bezel-less will be the norm in 2019. Samsung S10e would be the ideal choice, but the higher price tag plus a poor battery (I want one full day solid battery and done with charging twice a day in the iphone) is not something I prefer.

And all these are of large screens. Why companies don't give us something in the range of 5.5 inch full display (Bezels are out of fashion).

LG G7 64gb appeared on Amazone with price dropped to 28k. Samsung Note8 was offered for few days for 33k but now again rose to 37k which may again pop up for 33k. I am myself tempted towards LG G7 64 GB. G7 is smaller than Note8 I think. If that helps. For non heavy usage battery may last for a day. Current users can give their actual feedback.
Old 5th April 2019, 21:48   #28582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I
# Huwaei P 20 Pro.
# Nokia 8.1
# Samsung S9
Old 6th April 2019, 08:14   #28583
Senior - BHPian

@petrol power - What you want is not available in the present market. The closest would be the S9. Should easily last for 2 years and has a very compact form factor. In-fact 5.5 inch phones from few years ago are actually bigger than the current 5.8/6 inchers. Battery is average so Carry a portable pack for top ups.
Old 6th April 2019, 15:05   #28584
BHPian

I am nitpicking too much and I know that its difficult to get the perfect one at the price point I am looking at.

@FrozeninTme - Asus 5Z launched 1 year before and 6Z is long due, but google says it would not come before May end. Don't know why the delay.
A50 - I guess Samsung uses 600 series equivalent chipsets at 30k pricing, for which I would go to Asus/similar chinese with 845 chipset.

@HydroFuel - Great suggestion (was not aware of this phone) - LGQ7, and ya it is stellar at 28k with wireless charging, inbuilt DAC, SD845, etc etc. Then I saw the puny battery which came as a huge bummer at 3000 MAh. That means charging twice a day (will happen like that within 6 months of ownership). (Youtube battery drain tests also shows below average battery capacity for LGQ7). I use youtube/music apps for atleast 2 hours daily (while driving) and that will utilize good amount of battery.

@Sheel, P20 is good, will wait for a week, may be it's prices would get dropped once P30 pricing announced? otherwise 50k for 1 year phone (most importantly old design - not full bezelless)!!
Nokia 8.1 has decent spec, nothing bad till compared with LG Q7, LGQ7 scores above Nokia in EVERY aspect except for battery.
Samsung S9 - Its still @50k plus in Amazon!! Then I can go for S10e in that price, right. Plus Samsung battery back up is again poor.

@bigron - S9, I am done with charging multiple times a day.

I know the price point I am checking is a bit tight, so guess it is One plus 6T for me. or Honor View 20 just for its awesome design and not bad in anything.

Last edited by petrol_power : 6th April 2019 at 15:35.
Old 6th April 2019, 19:39   #28585
BHPian

I'm currently using OP3 & Jio 4G Sim, and am wishing to import OP6, ( not 6T ) from either US/UK/Singapore/Thailand, whenever a relative/friend may arrive next.

OP6 just because the headphone jack is really important to me.

Any leads on what bandwidth is Jio on, and whether imports from foreign locations would be supported in India, network-wise and official-support wise.

Cheers.
Old 6th April 2019, 21:29   #28586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Any leads on what bandwidth is Jio on, and whether imports from foreign locations would be supported in India, network-wise and official-support wise.
The website for this particular question is this: https://willmyphonework.net/

To do this manually:

* Look up phone bands on gsmarena.com
* Look up carrier bands on frequencycheck.com
* Evaluate the intersection. If it is not the null set, chances are that the phone will work on the network.
Old 8th April 2019, 13:17   #28587
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I am nitpicking too much and I know that its difficult to get the perfect one at the price point I am looking at.
I would suggest the Oppo R17 Pro (this one is apparently the phone that was used as reference to create the Oneplus 6T). Most reviews say it charges the battery from 0-100% in a mere 35 mins.

With that kind of speed, charging the battery multiple times a day should not be an issue at all.

Yes a slightly inferior processor (Snapdragon 710) compared to a true flagship, but the generous 8GB of onboard RAM should account for good speeds.

Last edited by Oxy : 8th April 2019 at 13:24.
Old 8th April 2019, 14:34   #28588
BHPian

Quote:
LG G7 is an option..

Last edited by Aditya : 8th April 2019 at 16:52. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 8th April 2019, 22:17   #28589
BHPian

Guys, Anyone with either S10 or S10+ using with Airtel sim. If so, are you getting Volte on your handset..
I've S10 and it's not working even when it is set in the settings.

In my Note 9,its working but not in S10. Airtel website for Volte doesn't mention any S10 variant for compatibility.

Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th April 2019, 11:34   #28590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys, Anyone with either S10 or S10+ using with Airtel sim. If so, are you getting Volte on your handset..
I've S10 and it's not working even when it is set in the settings.

In my Note 9,its working but not in S10. Airtel website for Volte doesn't mention any S10 variant for compatibility.

Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks in advance.
Airtel (& Jio) Volte works fine on my S10+, reset your network settings that might help.

Most Viewed