Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 14:47   #28741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
* Call recording (and generally, voice/conversation recording).

Suggestions?
With Android Pie, this functionality has been discontinued. You wont be able to do any call recordings, if your new phone is on Android P.
No third party call recording apps will work, unless you decide to root the device.
Old 16th May 2019, 15:04   #28742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
With Android Pie, this functionality has been discontinued. You wont be able to do any call recordings, if your new phone is on Android P.
No third party call recording apps will work, unless you decide to root the device.
Is this just for stock Android. Because EMUI/ Huawei/Honor phones still have the option to record calls even after being on Pie
Old 16th May 2019, 15:14   #28743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Is this just for stock Android. Because EMUI/ Huawei/Honor phones still have the option to record calls even after being on Pie
If the OEM provides the option in their dialer it will work. But you cannot use third party call recorder apps. So EMUI/MIUI etc will work.
Old 16th May 2019, 15:23   #28744
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
If the OEM provides the option in their dialer it will work. But you cannot use third party call recorder apps. So EMUI/MIUI etc will work.
I am using MiA1 which is running on stock android P. Recently I installed one of the 3rd party call recorder app and I was able to auto record the calls/conversations.
Old 16th May 2019, 15:41   #28745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I am using MiA1 which is running on stock android P. Recently I installed one of the 3rd party call recorder app and I was able to auto record the calls/conversations.
Can you please share the app name, so I can too start using it.
Thanks.
Old 16th May 2019, 15:44   #28746
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the app name, so I can too start using it.
Thanks.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atic.acr&hl=en
This is the one I had installed. In fact, i had tried couple of other apps and they also worked fine without any issues.
Old 16th May 2019, 16:51   #28747
BHPian

Re: Call Recording App on Rooted Device?

Quote:
I am on a rooted 'Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1'. I did root the device in the hope of getting call recording app to work.

Please help me understand, how to make call recording work on a rooted device running 'Android Pie'.

Old 16th May 2019, 19:08   #28748
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I looked up my usage, and this is what I see going on:
1. Lots of reading
2. Navigation using Gmaps
3. Plenty of Youtube
4. Lots of photography
5. No gaming
6. No working off the phone
7. My daily phone usage for calls is probably like 10 minutes max.
8. Out of 64 GB in my current phone (32+32), I have used about 30 GB, and I can't seem to use more.

Would this be the right inference?
Yes that is the correct inference.

For photography the Pixel is the King. Nothing else even comes close. One added advantage is Google gives you unlimited storage for pictures and videos taken by your Pixel, so that should further help you with point #8 above.

Youtube also should be a decent experience because it comes with an OLED screen and stereo speakers.

If you are into reading then getting the larger sized XL variant should be useful if it comes in your budget, or else buy an Amazon Kindle.

And no problem with the card. Just give me a shout if you decide on buying this.

Last edited by Oxy : 16th May 2019 at 19:11.
Old 16th May 2019, 19:23   #28749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
One added advantage is Google gives you unlimited storage for pictures and videos taken by your Pixel, so that should further help you with point #8 above.

Youtube also should be a decent experience because it comes with an OLED screen and stereo speakers.
Actually all android phones get unlimited storage for pictures and videos, but they are slightly compressed. And while Pixels gets storage for photos and videos at original size/resolution, Pixel 3A doesn't get that feature, so it is same as other android phones in that regard.

OP7 also gets stereo speakers along with AMOLED display.

Last edited by JonSnow : 16th May 2019 at 19:25.
Old 16th May 2019, 20:09   #28750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Actually all android phones get unlimited storage for pictures and videos, but they are slightly compressed. And while Pixels gets storage for photos and videos at original size/resolution, Pixel 3A doesn't get that feature, so it is same as other android phones in that regard.

OP7 also gets stereo speakers along with AMOLED display.

Err.. No no... unlimited storage is for 16MP pics classified as high quality.
For Pixel 3 or any other pixel, unlimited storage for pics and videos for original quality is there for only 3 years.
Old 16th May 2019, 22:24   #28751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
So very kind of you man . Totally appreciate your very kind gesture. I am putting this up on the "Good Samaritans" thread on TBHP

But:

Specs wise the OP7 blows the 3A out of the water. But at the end of the day, numbers mean one thing, and every day usability is whole different paradigm.

I looked up my usage, and this is what I see going on:
2. Navigation using Gmaps
3. Plenty of Youtube
4. Lots of photography
5. No gaming
6. No working off the phone
7. My daily phone usage for calls is probably like 10 minutes max.
8. Out of 64 GB in my current phone (32+32), I have used about 30 GB, and I can't seem to use more.

Knowing Google, I expect them to throw more and more camera related updates for the Pixel series as we go along.

Would this be the right inference?
Yes that is correct.

I use a pixel 2xl and your point on usability is also spot on. The stock factory fitted android has been very complete and easy to use for me on my P2xl. And I have been rooting the phones as far back as HTC magic.

So lower specs may not necessarily translate into a poor experience especially since google itself is at the helm here. I'd still wait for some real life feedback to come through. My sense is that Google can deliver a pretty good user experience, if not glorious, on this phone.

On camera, I have used google ports on various mid segment phones but none delivered the experience that I got in pixel. So for me pixel is the camera king.

I do find value in pixel as a product offering and more so because am an android purist. If you are not a purist then it would be difficult to justify the idea of leaving One plus specs.
Old 17th May 2019, 08:46   #28752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Looking for a phone to replace my 2 year old Moto Z2 Play. The phone is suffering from a failed proximity sensor and has also developed a battery bulge recently.

The primary requirement for me is exactly what phones are meant for, calls. In general I spend about 3 hours on average each day speaking to people (some of those calls could be 1-1.5 hours). Therefore:
Most of your requirement seems to be with upcoming Asus Zenfone 6, do check it out. Should undercut the OP 7 and carries the same chip SD 855.

KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Thanks for all your reverts.

I went ahead and bought myself a A50, my first phone in the >20k pricing. Checked out at Poorvika and felt nice to hold it on hand, just same dimension as my 9i.

Below is the comparison of A50 with 9i after a week of usage -

+ Overall A50 is an upgrade over 9i
+ New Samsung UI is simple and nice to use, unlike the earlier Samsung UI
+ Screen is definitely one of the positives of Samsung amoled
+ Camera is quite better on the A50, I like the wide angle option. I really have not taken much pics, so will further update on camera quality.
+ Face recognition seems faster than 9i

- Fingerprint scanner on the 9i (on the rear) was faster than the under the screen scanner on the A50. One, its slightly difficult to use thumb for unlock in that angle. Second, it take at least 5 seconds to recognize, than probably 1 second of 9i.
- Message App was very good in 9i with segregated personal messages and that of adverts, bank messages etc.
- Sometimes, I find myself touching an option more than once for it to function, like, when I open WhatsApp or when I end a call, few times I have had to touch more than once. Not sure if this is a generic issue or specific with my phone.

Overall, I am quite happy with the buy and its indeed a nice phone for the price.

KK
Quoting my own post -

After more than a month of usage below is my feel again compared with the 9i I was using,

- Though the battery is bigger in A50 (4000 mah) than the one on the 9i (3340 mah), it doesn't feel like I am getting anything extra. Somehow it drains battery faster and doesn't last a full day for me. I use it only for calls & Whatsapp and occasional very few YT videos. No gaming, songs.
- Fingerprint scanner is a pain to use, it doesn't just respond on most of occasions and throws out NO MATCH error. The one on the OP 6T is comparatively faster. I miss the rear mounted fingerprint scanner on the 9i, which was a breeze to use.

Samsung could have actually given a better phone for the price. I don't feel like I have got a good upgrade over my 9i.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 17th May 2019 at 09:09. Reason: Added another post
Old 17th May 2019, 11:09   #28753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

After more than a month of usage below is my feel again compared with the 9i I was using,

KK
I am using an Honor 9i and the battery seems to be dying a slow death. It takes more than 2 hours to charge from about 20% to 100% and drain also seems fast.

Sometimes I have to charge 2 times in a day. Did you have similar problems in 9i ?

Also, Huawei has confirmed that this phone will not get EMUI 9.1 which is a let down. Phones with similar configurations like Honor 9 lite, Honor 7X and Honor 9N are getting it which is a shame for Honor 9i.

This makes me think of upgrading to another device in the 15k price range. This is the segment where we are spoilt for choice and where the most confusion is.
Old 18th May 2019, 14:07   #28754
BHPian

Guys, need your help. I am planning to switch to android from iphone 6s plus which is still going fine after i changed battery last year under the battery change program by apple. Why do i want to switch to android? Dont know may be just for a change, I have used android before and my secondary phone is an android. So, was thinking of samsung s10+ or huawei p30 pro. I know we have oneplus 7 pro as well but not sure how that pop-up mechanism will hold in years to come and may be because of inferior camera (slightly). Mostly inclined towards p30 pro. Also I will be asking my relatives in Singapore to get it for me. I am getting s10+ for about 51-52k and p30 pro for about 59k. Huawei offers 2 years warranty in singapore and samsung offers 1 year warranty in Singapore. What do you guys think?
Old 18th May 2019, 16:56   #28755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I know we have oneplus 7 pro as well but not sure how that pop-up mechanism will hold in years to come and may be because of inferior camera (slightly).
Oneplus 7 pro scored 111 on DxOMark. That's the second highest score there only behind P30 Pro and S10 5G (both scored 112).

Most Viewed