Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 21:13   #28786
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I was using ACR (Automatic Call Recorder) on my Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1.
ACR is still recording calls, but it records only my voice (which is useless).

Is there any way out ?

Rohan
We are in the same boat. Someone, here suggested to root the device. I did the same and reinstalled the ACR app, BUT still it records only my voice.

May be, we may need to go for some custom ROMs to get this feature back.
If any here, who have sorted this issue out, please advise!

Old 26th May 2019, 12:24   #28787
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
hello, Is the Redmi note 7s a good buy for my Mom who is currently using an iPhone 4 and is getting frustrated by the slowness. Is there any other latest phone that I can consider and available freely? I am thinking 4Gb RAM and 64Gb Storage. My mom's main use is Ola, Uber, whatsapp.
I am not a fan of the Redmis because of the MIUI 10 adverts that come with those phones by default. Yes they can be disabled but multiple settings need to be changed from what I know, and it's quite irritating to be honest, a good enough dealbreaker atleast for me.

If you still want to go the Mi way then check out their Android One offerings, read the A series. My father in law uses an Mi A2 and is pretty happy with it (though it comes without expandable memory support and a headphone jack). The Mi A3 launch is around the corner so if the need is not very urgent then please wait a little.

Alternatively, you can check out the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, pretty good offering for the price. My parents use one since last year and are happy with it. I heard it's going to be available starting Rs.7999 from tonight so it's worth checking out.

If you are a bit brand conscious then the Samsung A20 and the Nokia 5.1 Plus are recommended, though they come with the 3GB RAM/32GB Storage combo. But these are pretty decent phones.

PS: Do check a few videos on YouTube about how to disable MIUI adverts on Redmi phones. If you think you can live with that then the Redmi Note 7S can prove to be quite a good buy..

Last edited by Oxy : 26th May 2019 at 12:28.
Old 26th May 2019, 12:30   #28788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If you are a bit brand conscious then the Samsung A20.
Thanks for the response. I have narrowed down on the Samsung A30 and am heading there shortly. I have Samsung points that I can redeem and the battery life and the display clinched it for me.
Old 26th May 2019, 16:41   #28789
BHPian

Switched to Samsung M30 which is an online only model. It has 5000mah battery and is on Android 8.1 but the Pie update is expected this month or next. Picked it from Amazon for 5% discount when choosing zero percent EMI.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:01   #28790
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
yes - have bought the G7+ with that 90% buyback offer. Actually it turned out to be better than that as I got an instant discount of 5k with my HDFC card so I paid 35k for it and will get 36k as buyback (most probably looking for Note 9 next in 6-8 months as the prices would be more sane.
Hey Praveen, just wanted to ask if you have availed the buyback yet, and if so, which phone did you end up buying?
Old 28th May 2019, 10:21   #28791
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Praveen, just wanted to ask if you have availed the buyback yet, and if so, which phone did you end up buying?
Hi Oxy, yes - i did avail the buyback and bought the S10+ but not for myself (my friend's friend picked it up instead).

Long story is that I intended to go for the Note 9 myself but when the Mate 20 X launched overseas late last year, the itch to go for it was too strong (i love large screen phones and a 7.2 inch super amoled screen was too tempting) so I ended up buying that from the US in Dec 2018.

The buyback offer was availed very seamlessly and without any hitch. I was worried that they might create some issues when exchanging it but nothing of that sort happened.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:50   #28792
BHPian

I have been a Samsung fan, sole reason being camera. Have had S1,2 Note 3,5 S7 and now the S8. Never had a reason to shift to other manufacturers since camera was the only reason and galaxy series were among the top when it comes to camera department until the latest update happened.

This android Pie update removed "Sports" mode which had the quickest shutter speed which made sure that images were never blurred even in low lighting. Now all we have is a normal mode (and other unnecessary modes) where half of images end up being blur since the shutter speed it slow.

previously we could install the modes, Pie removed that feature too.

Is there a way to get this feature back on the phone? No, i do not want to use the pro feature since i cannot fiddle around with settings before every click.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 28th May 2019, 16:59   #28793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I have been a Samsung fan, sole reason being camera. Have had S1,2 Note 3,5 S7 and now the S8. Never had a reason to shift to other manufacturers since camera was the only reason and galaxy series were among the top when it comes to camera department until the latest update happened.

This android Pie update removed "Sports" mode which had the quickest shutter speed which made sure that images were never blurred even in low lighting. Now all we have is a normal mode (and other unnecessary modes) where half of images end up being blur since the shutter speed it slow.

previously we could install the modes, Pie removed that feature too.

Is there a way to get this feature back on the phone? No, i do not want to use the pro feature since i cannot fiddle around with settings before every click.
Any help would be appreciated
The Pie update felt like a downgrade more than upgrade!!! Multi window button removed from the navigation bar, button to autohide navigation bar removed, icons cartoonized and this camera thing that you've written.
Old 28th May 2019, 17:03   #28794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
We are in the same boat. Someone, here suggested to root the device. I did the same and reinstalled the ACR app, BUT still it records only my voice.
I have downgraded ASUS firmware to Oreo form Pie and ACR is working fine now,There is no need to root.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2019 at 09:56. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th May 2019, 22:54   #28795
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Hi Oxy, yes - i did avail the buyback and bought the S10+ but not for myself (my friend's friend picked it up instead).
Thanks.

I am yet to avail my buyback, am super confused.

At the moment I am thinking of the Oppo Reno 10x. It undercuts the Oneplus 7 Pro by a good 9k and seems great value for money.

Am waiting for the Asus Zenfone 6 and the Samsung A80 as well. Also at the back of my mind are the S10e and the Pixel 3a. Even the LG V40 if I get it really cheap.

The S10 Plus and the iPhone XR seem too much of an investment so not very keen on them.

Help!

Last edited by Oxy : 28th May 2019 at 22:56.
Old 28th May 2019, 22:56   #28796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I have downgraded ASUS firmware to Oreo form Pie and ACR is working fine now,There is no need to root.
How did you do that?
Old 28th May 2019, 23:00   #28797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The battery of my 2.5 year old Moto G4+ has become weak. I need to charge it at least twice daily. I called up two authorised service centres in Bangalore and I was quoted around 1.8K for replacement. They claimed to provide an original battery.

How good are these authorized service centres ? Has anyone got their battery replaced? I'm worried of a cheap fake battery being put in and not lasting long enough. I have no problems with the phone apart from the battery.
If you are planning to keep it for 2 more years, go for a battery change.

Had done battery replacements, and it was good
Old 29th May 2019, 09:04   #28798
BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to avail my buyback, am super confused.
You can prebook the Reno as it is also coming up with a 90% buyback offer (alongwith the same 10% instant discount on HDFC). So it will give you more time to make up your mind

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2019 at 09:56. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 29th May 2019, 13:35   #28799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the LG V40 if I get it really cheap.

Help!
The v40 is still at 8.1.0 with Dec security patch

I stuck with the v20, the v30 and now the v40 mainly for the DAC. But at this rate i'd rather invest in an external USB DAC or get myself an audio player with a built in dac!

All their V series so called flagships have had abysmal software updates.
Old 29th May 2019, 16:30   #28800
Oxy
BHPian

Anyone knows when the Samsung A80 is going to arrive in India? As per their launch event on April 10th, it was supposed to be unveiled today but there is absolutely no news about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks