Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 17:04   #28801
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Anyone knows when the Samsung A80 is going to arrive in India? As per their launch event on April 10th, it was supposed to be unveiled today but there is absolutely no news about this.
Is there any reason you are not considering the A70 instead of the A80? The screen is the same. In fact A70 is more compact though it has a bigger battery. A80 camera is just a gimmick IMHO.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone2=9659
Old 29th May 2019, 18:28   #28802
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
Is there any reason you are not considering the A70 instead of the A80? The screen is the same. In fact A70 is more compact though it has a bigger battery. A80 camera is just a gimmick IMHO.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone2=9659
A70 costs less than my existing G7+ so I won't be able to avail the buyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
You can prebook the Reno as it is also coming up with a 90% buyback offer (alongwith the same 10% instant discount on HDFC). So it will give you more time to make up your mind
I tried that. Apparently I cannot avail the buyback on my existing phone as well as buy the new buyback, only one buyback is possible

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd June 2019 at 11:25.
Old 29th May 2019, 19:08   #28803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried that. Apparently I cannot avail the buyback on my existing phone as well as buy the new buyback, only one buyback is possible
Why can't you use another account and someone elses name for this new purchase?
Old 29th May 2019, 19:39   #28804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why can't you use another account and someone elses name for this new purchase?
The catch is he needs to exchange his G7 with a phone that costs more than 36k. Buying from another account will result in him being stuck with the G7.

@oxy - why dont you ask in your friends circle if anyone is interested in buying a high end phone like i did? You will have the freedom to buy whatever you want then. You can take a small depreciation hit to make the deal sweeter for your friend.
Old 29th May 2019, 22:12   #28805
Senior - BHPian

So I got the samsung s10+ from my friend who carried it over from India. I had asked him to use the phone to remove the region lock. I set it up today for my wife and the UK sim works fine. She is able to make calls and send messages.

Display is very good as is the camera. Also transferring the contents from the previous phone (Redmi) was a breeze because of the smart switch app of Samsung. It also comes with a transparent case which I have temporarily put until I buy something good. Any pointers for a good case? I will have another of my friend bring it here.

As of now its just been few hours of her using the phone(I have just used it for 30 mins) . Will provide some feedback after few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Do get your friend to open the box and use the phone with an Indian sim as the phone is set to active region lock. After 15 or 30 minutes of calling it is unlocked and can be used with any sim. If you know about it, please ignore my post.
Thanks for the tip about the region lock Turbo_Charger.

Attaching the information note about region lock provided along with the phone.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_8399.jpg
Old 31st May 2019, 22:43   #28806
Senior - BHPian

I have a peculiar issue with the screen on my Samsung Note 8. There is a dot thru which white light appears one inch from the bottom of my screen, it's like a tiny drop of water on the screen which does not go. It kind of shines thru the screen and does not get camouflaged with any colour wallpaper.

Any one faced a similar issue? Is my Amoled screen going to pack up?

Appreciate an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Old 1st June 2019, 03:26   #28807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I have a peculiar issue with the screen on my Samsung Note 8. There is a dot thru which white light appears one inch from the bottom of my screen, it's like a tiny drop of water on the screen which does not go. It kind of shines thru the screen and does not get camouflaged with any colour wallpaper.

Any one faced a similar issue? Is my Amoled screen going to pack up?

Appreciate an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
I think what you are seeing is a dead pixel. Please connect with samsung but I am a little skeptical about them assisting in this case as normally, companies have weird policies that allow them to have around 3-10 dead pixels on the screen as per their terms and conditions
Old 1st June 2019, 07:54   #28808
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed most probably a dead pixel. Truth be told you cannot repair a dead pixel since its a hardware issue. Your best bet is to ignore it.
However, you could try the pressure method but this method is usually used when the pixel is stuck or there is image ghosting.
Take a pointed object like a tip of your stylus or a plastic cap of a pen , cover it in a soft piece of cloth and exert pressure on the point where the pixel seems dead avoiding any other area. Turn the screen off while doing this. See if it improves.

Last edited by bigron : 1st June 2019 at 07:59.
Old 1st June 2019, 10:55   #28809
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Dinesh and Bigron!

I tried the fix you suggested Ron, unfortunately it didn't work. The irritating little white dot remains and now that I know where it is, it stares me in the face all the time. I dont really want to waste time with the Samsung service centre, so will take my chances.

I intend to pick up the Note 10 immediately on launch which should be around the begining of September, what are the probabilities of the screen staying alive (sounds cool, doesn't it) till then.

Cheers
Old 1st June 2019, 13:02   #28810
Senior - BHPian

Here are my impressions on the Oneplus 6T coming from a Galaxy S10 and Google Pixel before. The reasons I bought oneplus 6T is because my Galaxy S10 was stolen and I din't want to spend another 60K on a new phone. The 8+128GB version was available at 32K on Amazon and frankly this is the best option in this price range.

But there are some issues I want to highlight -

1> The primary reason for buying Oneplus 6T is the performance, clean stock-like experience and fast OS updates/security patches. While Oneplus definitely scores high on the user experience and performance, it is terrible in Security updates. My phone is still stuck on March Security Patch and there's high chance I will not be allowed to connect to my Company network due to compliance issues. We all blame Samsung and other manufacturers for slow updates but they are very good with monthly security patches at least for the flagship phone. For example, my wife's 1.5 year Note 8 is on APril Security patches. To be frank, I think Nokia is the best after Google for regular patches as my daughter's Nokia 6.1 plus (costs <10K) is on May security patch.
This is the biggest bummer for me and never expected from Oneplus. If this continues, I might have to buy another phone again because checking official emails and replying to them is one of my primary usage for mobile.
I don't know what to do about this but this is something all Oneplus6T potential buyers should be careful about. I am thinking to enrol for the Oneplus Beta program if that helps.

2> Haptic/Vibration motor on the Oneplus feels super cheap like a 10K phone. It is difficult to describe but if you have used the flagship phones like Pixel 3/S10, you will know the difference right away.

3> Camera quality - I knew Oneplus 6T will not match the quality of flagships and it really does not. To my eyes, there is significant difference in camera quality between the flagship phones (S10/Pixel) and Oneplus. With the S10/Pixel, I sometimes felt that I need not carry additional camera sometimes but with Oneplus, I will definitely carry a camera for any travel or festivals if I plan to print/create an album. But, I think at 30K price band, we don't have better options. So, I guess it is fair for the price.

When you think about the above shortcomings and then you add missing features like wireless charging and water-resistance, suddenly the flagships do not seem that overpriced to me. Also, compared to the Oneplus, the S10 screen is leagues ahead though Oneplus is pretty good.

I find the Phone performance to be A+ and the battery life is super excellent as well. It is definitely the best phone for 30-35K if the regular Security patches are provided. But, at the same time, It is NOT comparable to a flagship phone. Not trying to pull down the Oneplus 6T but I think there is too much hype around the phone as a "flagship killer" which it is not.
Old 1st June 2019, 16:34   #28811
Senior - BHPian

Normally dead pixels do not spread. However, if it is because of an internal electrical fault then overtime few more may pop up. So you ll have to wait and watch this over time.
Old 1st June 2019, 21:12   #28812
Oxy
BHPian

I like the looks of the S10e but am worried about the battery life thanks to the Exynos processor. Is there a way I can get the Snapdragon variant in India?
Old 1st June 2019, 21:15   #28813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I like the looks of the S10e but am worried about the battery life thanks to the Exynos processor. Is there a way I can get the Snapdragon variant in India?
I don't think so. I had looked at the s10e when it launched too, but struck it off my list when i found its here with the exynos.

I think barring the US, its the exynos everywhere else.
Old 2nd June 2019, 23:26   #28814
Senior - BHPian

Folks, any suggestions for a good case for S10+. Primarily looking for something which will help in accidental drops. Also does it make sense to have a screen guard as well?
Old 3rd June 2019, 08:27   #28815
Senior - BHPian

A screen guard I would recommend. You do want to save that gorgeous screen from daily use. After 6 months just replace the screen guard and the screen is brand new again.
A case not so much . I dont like using a case, it just takes away from the whole thin svelte profile of the phone to start with. You could use one of those thin ones from spigen but they still bulk the phone up. Yes, its a trade off but thats how I do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks