Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:49   #29206
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
@vsrivatsa - I am currently out of the country and phone is lying there untouched. On top of it price is coming down to 25K and with the discount it can be bought for 23K tomorrow. It hurts really bad as I lost 4K even before opening the box.

But I had a chance to look at its twin brother Mi 9t pro. It is a big phone and with the case it looks even bigger. Photo quality is good but I found front camera shots average. I found all other things good. My current phone is Moto G4 Plus.
Thanks! I have ordered the K20 Pro on the Flipkart Sale and at 23K + 6 Months No Cost EMI it felt like a good value for money. Phone yet to arrive.

I was a bit confused between this and the OnePlus 7 which with the deal would have been 27K. Somehow felt I still need the Headphone socket for now and went ahead with the K20 Pro.

On another note question to everyone here and this is for a friend who seems to have become a Vivo fan boy:
Are the Cameras on Vivo really better than other phones at a 30K price point or are these phones just overpriced? I was comparing the Vivo V17 Pro and the Real Me XT seems to offer a better camera module (64MP) at a lower price point. Need inputs here.
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:52   #29207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Esteemed BHPians - Does the Nokia 6.1+ still make sense. If I am correct it will get the next 2 updates as it came with Pie as far as what i have read on net. Somehow I feel it was launched with Oreo but not too sure on this.

Also aptx support is a must as I consume a lot of music/calls through Bluetooth. Reviews suggest both 6.1+/7.1 support apt x

Thoughts please.
Picked up the Nokia 6.1+ for 4.9 K in ongoing Amazon sale.

It will get the android 10 update and security updates post that. So I am covered till end of next year mostly. With 6 GB RAM and being a Andriod one phone performance for generic stuff we do on our smart phones should not be an issue.

My MiA1 fetched a cool 5 K and was used for about close to 26 months and I had got it for 13.9 K. First phone in last decade which is being exchanged before 3 years use. Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 were used for 3+ years and Moto X Style is still being used after 4+ years but touch functionality isn't working perfectly so can't be exchanged.

Plan to get a premium mid ranger sometime end of next year. 6.1+ will be used as a phone for gmaps for road trips and for my daughter to consume media. Don't think it will fetch anything next year if I opt for an exchange. Want to experience a premium phone next time . Wife uses a Galaxy S8 and no doubt its a great phone but still have not been able to convince myself to spend so much on smartphone which we change so frequently. Gone are the days when feature phones lasted well over 5-6 years at the least.
Old 2nd October 2019, 23:01   #29208
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up the Nokia 6.1+ for 4.9 K in ongoing Amazon sale.
If you have just ordered and if its possible to cancel it, please cancel it. Sorry! The Nokia 6.1+ has a major issue with no solution. And it was in the news as well! That explained the huge discount on the phone.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...-ports-1988592

https://nokiamob.net/2019/07/21/noki...to-address-it/

I suggest you to go through these articles and understand the issue. The charging port eventually loosens and the phone cannot be charged. And the support by Nokia India has been bad for this issue.

If you are unable to return the phone, keep a lookout for this.
Old 2nd October 2019, 23:33   #29209
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a phone within the 15k range and I've finally shortlisted the Mi A3 and Samsung M30S. Went to a few stores to check both the phones out yesterday, but couldn't lay my hands on a M30S as it's supposedly an 'online only' phone, atleast for now. Got my hands on the A3 and I absolutely loved the phone.

I've been eyeing the A3 way before it's launch as I'm not really into custom UI's and I just love the Android one UI, since I've also used it a lot on dad's Pixel 2XL.

Just as I was about to order the A3, news of the M30S came out and I decided to wait. Just for 1k more, I get a MUCH better display, an equally good or better camera, an excellent battery and a phone with better hardware than the A3. Like I mentioned before, I love phones with stock Android and I'm finding it tough to decide between the A3 and M30S.

My usage is - WhatsApp, Instagram, chrome, probably one or two games from the Play Store to pass time (no PUBG/Fortnite) and a lot of camera use, so a good camera is very important for me. I also don't like big phones, and I prefer phones that are smaller and compact in dimensions. The A3 is super easy to hold and is easy to handle with just a single hand as well, whereas the Samsung is bigger.

Now, the M30S seems to be the better phone overall, but I'm finding it tough to let go of the A3, which is just perfect for me (stock android, good camera, compact size). The M30S is a faster phone, has a better battery and a wonderful display. But I'm not a big fan of the one UI on the Samsung (I somewhat find it boring, probably because of years of using Samsung's). What also goes against the M30S is the size.

What do you guys suggest I pick? Stock android, compact phone that I like or spend just a little bit more and get a VFM phone that offers me a better battery, better display and better hardware, but bigger in size and with a custom UI.

Also, any first hand reviews of the A3 here? A short review would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Prathik
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:05   #29210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post

What do you guys suggest I pick?...
Pick what best fits your needs in your budget, not the best on-paper specs. We live with our phones now, and all the goodies in the world won't help you get over the 'flaws' you can't ignore.
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:19   #29211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
If you have just ordered and if its possible to cancel it, please cancel it. Sorry! The Nokia 6.1+ has a major issue with no solution. And it was in the news as well! That explained the huge discount on the phone.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...-ports-1988592

https://nokiamob.net/2019/07/21/noki...to-address-it/

I suggest you to go through these articles and understand the issue. The charging port eventually loosens and the phone cannot be charged. And the support by Nokia India has been bad for this issue.

If you are unable to return the phone, keep a lookout for this.
Oh really! I should have done a little more research. Actually my father in law has been using the 6.1+ since launch and there has been no issue in the last 2 years. So never thought about doing a little more research.

I am a big fan of clean android. My phones since I started using smart ones have all been Nexus or Android one phones. I never warmed up to other android based UIs and hence choices have been limited for sub 20 K phones.

Any other 6 GB phone with clean android is difficult to get other than Nokia 8.1 which will cost upward of 20 K. Don't want to splurge so much on a almost 2 year old phone.

Looked at 7.2 and decided to wait till 8.2 for a more premium experience.

Please suggest a sub 10 K android phone with 6 GB RAM + SD 6XX processor. MI A3 is ruled out due to 720 p screen. Didn't even look at other specs. This is more of stop gap arrangement as I have some other financial commitments which can't be deferred. Currently using 2 phones one for personal and other for official. With the amount of apps I use for personal and official use 4 GB RAM is becoming a bottleneck. Hence planning to go for higher RAM phones and move to a single phone solution.

In case there are none then willing to risk using 6.1+ and manage it for around a year. Will look for an Android 10 phone with 6 GB RAM and SD 6XX/7XX processor sometime next year. Am fed up using 2 big phones and 6.1+ phone fits the bill that way being one of the most compact phones in the market currently.

Please suggest one sub-10 K phone with the mentioned specs if you are aware.

Last edited by nibedk : 3rd October 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd October 2019, 00:39   #29212
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest one sub-10 K phone with the mentioned specs if you are aware.
For a clean android experience, the Nokia 6.1 Plus at the price is the best on paper. Only because you got it for Rs.4900, you can give it a try.

Its a bit too hard to get all the above features under 10k. The Nokia 6.1 Plus was launched for almost 20k but then Nokia had cut prices multiple times. They even launched the Nokia 7.1, which is essentially the same phone with its drawbacks fixed. If you can, you may try getting the 7.1, although the 7.2 is released.

I have a Nokia 7 Plus in the family, and its been going good for almost 2 years now, and updates are regular.
Old 3rd October 2019, 01:08   #29213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
For a clean android experience, the Nokia 6.1 Plus at the price is the best on paper. Only because you got it for Rs.4900, you can give it a try.

Its a bit too hard to get all the above features under 10k. The Nokia 6.1 Plus was launched for almost 20k but then Nokia had cut prices multiple times. They even launched the Nokia 7.1, which is essentially the same phone with its drawbacks fixed. If you can, you may try getting the 7.1, although the 7.2 is released.

I have a Nokia 7 Plus in the family, and its been going good for almost 2 years now, and updates are regular.
I am getting the Nokia 7.1 for a mere 2 K more . Even the 8.1 after all price cuts, discounts and exchange would be around 11 K. But these prices are for the 4 GB variant. 7.1 6 GB version is not available anywhere even on Nokia site and 8.1 6 GB version retails above 20 K. Even considered Zenfone Max 2 Pro which though is not a Android One phone but comes with a almost clean Andriod version with few pre installed apps. The 6 GB version should have cost less than 10 K had it been available.

Looks like will have to risk the 6.1+ and pray that I don't get the dreaded charging issues. Fingers crossed. But all the good feeling of getting a new phone at such a cheap price is all gone now. :(

Last edited by nibedk : 3rd October 2019 at 01:10. Reason: Corrections
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:52   #29214
BHPian

Looking to buy a phone in the festive season. My primary requirement is that it should have a great camera. Wide angle and portrait is a must. Portrait selfie and AMOLED screen is also desired. What are my options in the 15-20k range. I would be exchanging an I Phone 6 for this phone.
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:37   #29215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Looking to buy a phone in the festive season. My primary requirement is that it should have a great camera. Wide angle and portrait is a must. Portrait selfie and AMOLED screen is also desired. What are my options in the 15-20k range. I would be exchanging an I Phone 6 for this phone.
Redmi K20
Realme X/XT
Samsung M30s/A50
Old 4th October 2019, 07:02   #29216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
But the M30S is hard to beat at this price. You also get 1k credited to your Amazon Pay balance (if you buy from STPL seller), plus you get 10% SBI discount. That brings down the price to 14.4k for the 6gb variant and 11.7k for the 4gb variant.
I missed this 1k extra cashback as it was there in the beginning of the sale but is no longer there. Initially I had ordered with exchange and then realized the exchange phone that I had on me had a few scratches and will not be taken by the vendor. So canceled the order and placed another without exchange. Now I realize that the second order is not eligible for this 1000 extra cashback
Old 4th October 2019, 13:18   #29217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I bought my Note 10 Plus on 1st September,
Have you tried adding any case/back cover for protection? Reviews would be appreciated.
Old 4th October 2019, 22:49   #29218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Have you tried adding any case/back cover for protection? Reviews would be appreciated.
I got the Samsung original back case with a kickstand from Singapore. Pictures are attached. It is a super protective case and a slim one which does not add bulk to the phone. This is not available in India for the Note 10 Plus when I checked with Samsung here in Mumbai, they have a similar one in black, only for the Note 10. This is far classier in appearance.

The Note 10 Plus is a great phone, but, I have had my fill with Android, I am selling both my phone and the case and moving back to Apple with the 11 Pro Max as soon as stocks are available next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20191004_115639.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20191004_115356.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20191004_115701.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20191004_115613.jpg  

Old 5th October 2019, 00:04   #29219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The Note 10 Plus is a great phone, but, I have had my fill with Android, I am selling both my phone and the case and moving back to Apple with the 11 Pro Max as soon as stocks are available next week.
IIRC, you used to have a Note 8 before ? If I may ask, why the shift to iOS now ?
Old 5th October 2019, 00:22   #29220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
IIRC, you used to have a Note 8 before ? If I may ask, why the shift to iOS now ?
Hi Shashank, you are absolutely right, I did have the Note 8 for two years and the S7 Edge before that.

I have also used the iPhone from 4S to 7 and when I had enough I moved to Android.

Mainly I am bored/fed up of using Android now and want a change. I find the camera/s on the 11 Pro Max better and iOS interface more slick and polished (again)

Cheers

Most Viewed