Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 08:57   #29281
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Now that the Pixel 4 is not coming to India, I (along with few others) am left with no upgrade option to my Pixel 2 XL.

Using Nexus and Pixel means I cannot go back to Samsung at all. I am used to the timely updates, the stock android UI and the 0 bloat.

Oneplus is the only option but I hate the idea of getting a T model in 6 months. On top of that none of the Oneplus models are IP68 rates and the camera is still not in same league as Pixel and Samsung cameras.

I was looking at changing in Feb march when I cross 2 years with my 2 XL but now I will have to stretch it till Pixel 5 or a Pixel 4A without motion sense comes out.

It's really difficult for a Pixel user to go back to a non Pixel phone. For someone looking at Pixel as a first time they will not see value in it easily as it's not about the on paper specs at all.

I am contemplating moving to iPhone 11 in 2020 but I cannot see my myself moving sides so easily.
Old 18th October 2019, 09:17   #29282
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now that the Pixel 4 is not coming to India, I (along with few others) am left with no upgrade option to my Pixel 2 XL.

Using Nexus and Pixel means I cannot go back to Samsung at all. I am used to the timely updates, the stock android UI and the 0 bloat.

Oneplus is the only option but I hate the idea of getting a T model in 6 months. On top of that none of the Oneplus models are IP68 rates and the camera is still not in same league as Pixel and Samsung cameras.

I was looking at changing in Feb march when I cross 2 years with my 2 XL but now I will have to stretch it till Pixel 5 or a Pixel 4A without motion sense comes out.

It's really difficult for a Pixel user to go back to a non Pixel phone. For someone looking at Pixel as a first time they will not see value in it easily as it's not about the on paper specs at all.

I am contemplating moving to iPhone 11 in 2020 but I cannot see my myself moving sides so easily.
Yes, in your case waiting for the Pixel 5 or 4A seems to be the most logical thing to do, if your current Pixel 2 XL is still doing fine.

Else try one of those inexpensive Android One devices from Motorola, Nokia or Xiaomi (Mi A Series) as a stopgap till the next Pixel arrives in India.
Old 18th October 2019, 09:36   #29283
BHPian

If one were to buy the OP4 from, say, the US (unlocked) would the OTA updates come through? I ask this since I think these come through the service provider and TRAI/ Govt. may impose restrictions. I don't want to root my phone. The biggest pluses for me with the OP is it's 0 bloatware and consequently timely updates.
Old 18th October 2019, 23:40   #29284
Team-BHP Support

Finally sided with Android and got myself a 1+ 7T.

Yes it's BIG, so I spent quite a while at the experience store doing all sorts of ergonomic tests (including pocketing it after installing covers). The assistant at the store was very helpful.

I'm liking what I see so far.
Old 19th October 2019, 09:36   #29285
Distinguished - BHPian

As a slight detour, being a former tech enthusiast (donkeys years ago when I barely was a teen and considered 512 mb ram on a machine the best) has become a massive pain today.

I cringe at tech suggestions for years now, a friend who is still a gadget nerd used to go on and on about tech specs, camera, speed, "smoothness" etc taking months before a buying decision, is this what we've come to today? I had to literally tell him to stop boring me over a decision which barely has any significance (as Seinfeld said once in his comedy routine, one can never break-up with a guy pal, there is possibly no non-awkward way to do it, else we all would). My god between Apple and Android and all things inbetween it is consuming the lives of everyone on earth.

Women (and I mean no offence to either the brands or gender involved) are easy to dismiss, all I need to say is Apple has this cool gold colour or OnePlus has this cool red colour and off they go.

Even in Indian reviewer channels in YouTube its hilarious to read the comments section with barely teens all the way to tech ignoramuses pleading for answers all so respectfully with liberal usage of "sir" or "bhai".. all for a phone suggestion

Some part of the nerd is still inside me, and I feel its important to say that its hardly a mistake buying just about anything these days, its not like there's a VGA camera or webcam quality, most are smooth enough to operate as long as you dont load them with apps and most can be configured to personal preferences.

DXOMark is also the greatest fraud to have manipulated camera beginners since its inception, for they look for Instagram quality bloated colors and retina busting dynamic range, rather than natural colors (colors are wavelength and most two pairs of eyes do not pick up the same wavelength or focus at any point) also between shots, sunlight can create a big difference based on its intensity.

If I were to be a real friend I'd just say buy what you like, and replace when the old phone is in tatters, has next to nil battery life and is slow as a slug. Keeping in mind that many of us even in this forum are aware of how much garbage tech creates, this I think is good advice.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:01   #29286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If I were to be a real friend I'd just say buy what you like, and replace when the old phone is in tatters, has next to nil battery life and is slow as a slug. Keeping in mind that many of us even in this forum are aware of how much garbage tech creates, this I think is good advice.
Yes dark knight sir i agree with you.

But please bolo bhai - which one?

A friend just a day back had similar conundrums and just couldn't make up his mind between the OP and the Pixel. He finally dropped the idea of upgrading citing the current economic scenario.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th October 2019 at 10:03.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:42   #29287
BHPian

Quote:
As a slight detour, being a...
A good read after a long time.
Old 19th October 2019, 13:59   #29288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Pixel 4 is a dual sim with one e-sim and other physical sim.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel
If one buys an iphone or a pixel phone one thing is for sure that you can't take a bad photo with either.
This is true; even with that brilliant display and beautiful lines, I am more inclined towards my old Pixel 2 XL than the phone I use for office - Galaxy S10. In car speak, Pixel 2 XL is like the previous gen BMW, and S10 is like the new KIA Seltos. The former is solid and the latter has all the bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel
Pixel 4 is not launching in India so one can not take a risk with pixel 4 in India. If I were in Singapore or USA I would have already pre-ordered pixel 4XL by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I was hoping to go for the Pixel 4 XL when my contract is due for renewal in end March, and was pretty sure that the prices will drop drastically and the phone should come free for the plan I am in. But just saw that the Telco I am on (SingTel) is not going to carry the new Pixel range; bad sales could be the reason. That means its with StarHub this time around and that's one Telco I always avoid. So the only possible option I can see is to go back to iPhone, maybe the 11 Pro.

Quote:
Women (and I mean no offence to either the brands or gender involved) are easy to dismiss, all I need to say is Apple has this cool gold colour or OnePlus has this cool red colour and off they go.
OT: Even more easy to avoid gender-biased comments.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th October 2019 at 14:17.
Old 19th October 2019, 15:02   #29289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even more easy to avoid gender-biased comments.
Understood that there are mechanisms to break up with girlfriends, and even to divorce wives... but none to do so with mate-friends. It is the same for the ladies too, the other way around!

But hard though breaking up with mates/mates (figurative or literal) breaking up with brands is even harder! Just try tearing me away from Android/Linux, and forcing me to engage with Apple or Microsoft!

And most of the "upgrades" people buy are probably just different bling. And there's the "Will it get updates" thing: if it does what one wants, why would that matter! (OK, security issues). And differences in UI look and feel can mostly be accommodated by launcher choice: my last three phones (none "upgraded" by choice: one was caught under flood water, the second was dropped and lost in the stree) have all looked-and-felt identical.

The only factor I demand is freedom... to root, to flash, to change what I want to change. There was a fourth phone, bought when I had only a day to get replacement sims and phone before an international flight, after the lost-in-the-street phone: it would not even let me change some of the default apps and I loathed it. (It was given away to a poor young student who was just happy to have any smart phone as soon as I got back)

Battery life should probably only be discussed after a year, which is when real differences start to show, rather than the hour more or less with a new phone. But, after a year, the discussions have all moved on to new models.

But for the bling lovers, whether the bling be in the phone case or its specs, none of this is intended to suggest that those with cash in pocket should not spend it as they wish, as much and as often as they can, and... enjoy

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th October 2019 at 15:04.
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:30   #29290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If more people see the reality reflected in your post then the smartphone industry will also enter into a slowdown. Reading the post brought a smile on my face. Thanks!

While I agree that most of what you have said is completely true, on the other hand maybe we should appreciate the fact that this has created employment for so many Youtubers who review a new phone every week and post Unboxing video, then a detailed review, followed by a comparative review and then a pros and cons video....never ending combinations. And even the offline stores, I believe just putting a big poster of Vivo or Oppo assures then a fixed monthly income.

I for one have no favorites and am not a fan boy of any brand. I have kept switching brands each time and seeing what comes. Have gone from a Nokia to Samsung to LG to Huawei to Xiaomi now. Maybe I will try Realme next
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:32   #29291
Team-BHP Support

One dislike about the 7T after a few days of usage. Bluetooth streaming, both connection stability and volume, seems worse than my previous phone (Motorola XT1225). My phones are usually paired to audio at home and in-car, so this is a bit of a bummer.

Lovely phone otherwise, so far.
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:06   #29292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Bluetooth streaming, both connection stability and volume, seems worse than my previous phone (Motorola XT1225).
What bluetooth was the Motorola on? I remember reading there would be a significant output loss between 5.0 to lower 2.0 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Lovely phone otherwise, so far.
Sitting on the fence between OP7 128GB and OP7T 256GB. Not sure if 25% premium is justified to future proof the a device over something very similar.
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:12   #29293
BHPian

BHPians - What's the best Andriod One phone to pick under 20 K.

Nokia 7.2 or 6.2 or 8.1 or Moto One Vision? 6.2 and Moto one are 4 GB ones and the other two have 6 GB options. But 8.1 6 GB is not available on either Amazon or Flipkart.

Need to pick one for father who is used to Motorola phones and prefers Android One OS. He is now used to it and any other phone will be a steep learning curve for him.

Please suggest?
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:19   #29294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
BHPians - What's the best Andriod One phone to pick under 20 K.
All Android phones will have the same UI.
IMO, Mi A3 is a better value for money Android One proposition. The screen is 720p AMOLED, similar to the old Samsung J series.

Amongst, your shortlist. Go for the Nokia 8.1 irrespective of the RAM available. It's constructed of metal and shall last long. The specs (except the camera) have no real-world differences to the latest variants, which I feel are overpriced.
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:33   #29295
BHPian

Ordered the One Plus 7T today for my better half.

Her current phone is the Motorola G5s Plus.

Did not opt for exchanging an old device.

Opted for the 8 GB/256 GB variant, paid INR 35,999/-

Have a One Plus 3T in the house that Dad uses. Even after 2 yrs and 7 months the phone retains its performance (6 GB / 128 GB).

Most Viewed