Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2011, 12:42   #2926
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hey Idea,

Can you tell me -if you are rooting and something goes wrong like say your usb gets disconnected or something else - does the phone boot normally back into the original state ?

I might try to root my Optimus today - the only thing holding me back is the doubt I just asked

btw which version is yours ? Mine is v10c - will z4root work ?
For me, i used almost all tools and followed all instructions.. nothing happened.

As for as Z4root is concerned, my handset came with v10D and i shortly upgraded it to v10E.

Then decided to go for rooting so downgraded it to v10B - Z4root didnt work. so tried it with v10c - didnt work.

All the best... and let me know if it work for you and what all steps you followed. PM me if you need to talk as rooting can brick your mobile. it is bit risky and might not be as easy as it sounds...
idea is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 00:09   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Hey! Thanks so much for taking time out to type such a detailed post. I have almost gotten over the dilemma after reading it. Glad to know that you are thoroughly enjoying your fone. Will check out the stores this weekend. You can as well expect me to join the Galaxy bandwagon very soon. Cheers!
your welcome man. Its a great phone and its an Android based phone, so its emminently powerful
Old 1st May 2011, 12:11   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Android users can check out this nifty app called Open GPS tracker which logs trips you made and puts an overlay over google maps to show average speeds done and a few other details

Name:  SC20110426181631.png
Views: 495
Size:  219.5 KB Name:  SC20110426181645.png
Views: 477
Size:  59.6 KB

Last edited by bottle : 1st May 2011 at 12:13.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:29   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

I'm a first time android user and Im currently using a Samsung Galaxy S phone. I have configured mail for exchange via Active sync and everything works pretty well. However, the default font of my reply mails is courier new, size - 10 which looks pretty small when viewed from a PC. Im looking for the more standard ones, however there is no option to change it from the phone. Is there an application that is available which will help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st May 2011, 13:47   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
For me, i used almost all tools and followed all instructions.. nothing happened.

As for as Z4root is concerned, my handset came with v10D and i shortly upgraded it to v10E.

Then decided to go for rooting so downgraded it to v10B - Z4root didnt work. so tried it with v10c - didnt work.

All the best... and let me know if it work for you and what all steps you followed. PM me if you need to talk as rooting can brick your mobile. it is bit risky and might not be as easy as it sounds...
Z4root won't work with v10E. I would advice not to downgrade just to root your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Try gingerbreak: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers

There are exactly seven commands to be executed to root the device. Once you hit the execute button, it should not take more than few secs for one-click rooting programs. I would say go ahead.

Again, try gingerbreak for android v2.2.1 or 2.2.2: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers
As advised by Comrade, try gingerbreak. It works with v10E too. I suggest you to root your phone if you are willing to take a little risk of voiding the warrenty. LG has loaded so much of bloatware on the OptimusOne, you will be surprised to see the response of the phone once you root it. I have been using CyanogenMod ROM on my optimus one for quite some time, and the phone is super fast.
Old 1st May 2011, 13:54   #2931
BHPian

So here comes my initial impressions of LG O1. My first smartphone.

Charged it fully the day I got it.To get fully charged, it took around 4-5 hours.
Looks good, feels good. The touch screen response is awesome.Foramtted the SD card before first use(I always format mem cards before I use them, first time). I have installed around 9-10 apps including winamp, real player etc. No lag so far except when I set oceanwaves live wallpaper(its very heavy, I believe).

Have not charged the battery after 1st full charge and its still running strong @35%. Been like 3 days . My usage for 3 days includes 20-30 calls, ~3hrs of music,innumerable msgs, 15-18 hrs of playing around with phone and around 3 hrs of NDrive usage.

Stock earphones are strictly ok. Videos play like a charm w/o any lag.
First time I am using GPS and hence NDrive was surprising. It looked good initially. Was able to lock in 5-10 secs from inside my home. Voice navigation is a nice feature. But NDrive looks stupid to me, atleast in my city. This is because it shows the not-so-short distance to destination and trying to teach me the routes of my area/city. I will try it out in some other city to know how much it is useful.

Suggest some nice useful apps please.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:43   #2932
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,i am in the market looking for a cool android phone.My budget is strictly 15K-20K,not a paise above.The basic requirements are Android 2.2,camera with FLASH,decent battery life of atleast 2 days with moderate usage and easy to use interface! Please give me your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The froyo update is already out in American market. Should happen anytime in India. Loving the Defy, coolest phone I have owned.
Samurai,how is the battery life?How long will a single charge last with calls upto 2 hrs and lots of SMS a day?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 1st May 2011 at 14:46.
Old 1st May 2011, 22:41   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Samurai,how is the battery life?How long will a single charge last with calls upto 2 hrs and lots of SMS a day?
Full charged 100%.

1. 1-1.5 hrs of talk.
2. Few msg.
3. Data on but not wifi.
4. Live wall paper
5. installed few apps.

Reduced to 50% after 24 hrs...
Old 1st May 2011, 22:56   #2934
Senior - BHPian

Just got the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, Loving the phone absolutely besides the fact that Gtalk will not let me use any other login ID besides the one I used at start up, any suggestions on this? Have spent last 3 days online figure it out but could not do anything about it?

Also any thing else in particular which would make my Android experience a lot better? I come from the background of those who have always had simple phone.

Regards,
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:54   #2935
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks guys! I got my LG OO on 2.2.2 succesfully rooted using Gingerbreak. The first time I got stuck, I rebooted and tried again, it went through quite fast ! Feels great !
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:18   #2936
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Try gingerbreak: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers

There are exactly seven commands to be executed to root the device. Once you hit the execute button, it should not take more than few secs for one-click rooting programs. I would say go ahead.

Again, try gingerbreak for android v2.2.1 or 2.2.2: [ROOT] for 2.2.1/2.2.2 - xda-developers

I guess you have not tried "advanced task killer free" yet? It is a must have app for android. It kills all/selected apps running in the background. You can add one-touch kill switch/icon to home-screen. You can also add shortcut to kill app by app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Z4root won't work with v10E. I would advice not to downgrade just to root your phone.

As advised by Comrade, try gingerbreak. It works with v10E too. I suggest you to root your phone if you are willing to take a little risk of voiding the warrenty. LG has loaded so much of bloatware on the OptimusOne, you will be surprised to see the response of the phone once you root it. I have been using CyanogenMod ROM on my optimus one for quite some time, and the phone is super fast.
Used Gingerbreak. Worked in first time. Super user got installed.

However after sometime, some force close errors started poping up and home screen went missing.

When restarted, it got stuck at Android screen forever.

Tried to hard reset it, it didnt work out as it again got stuck at android screen.

Before i know .. my phose was dead. it did blinked with white screen for sometime.

Gave it to LG service today for 10 long day as it will take PCB change.

Good thing, it will happen under warrenty.

Bad thing , phone will be away for atlead tow weeks.

So please be aware about rooting. I did follow all instructions, still it got dead.

Anybody successfully tried it with Optimus one, if yes, please give steps..
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:24   #2937
BHPian

Have an HTC Wildfire, very happy with the phone. Dont use that much outdoors, so the screen works fine for me. Thinking of rooting the phone, does anyone have any experience on rooting HTC Wildfire?
Can anyone point to any detailed guides on rooting this particular model?
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:28   #2938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
These days I am charging the Defy every alternate nights. I am not a heavy user, mostly 20-25 minutes of talk, some moderate surfing, I even keep the background data on now.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:32   #2939
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks guys! I got my LG OO on 2.2.2 succesfully rooted using Gingerbreak. The first time I got stuck, I rebooted and tried again, it went through quite fast ! Feels great !

You seems to be very lucky. Do tell all steps also what all things to be done after rooting.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:04   #2940
BHPian

Quote:
You seems to be very lucky. Do tell all steps also what all things to be done after rooting.
I used this page for reference:
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Downloaded the version 1.2.0 from the same page.

xda-developers

Conneced my phone to the laptop using USB cable.

Turned on USB storage on and copied the downloaded apk file to the downloads folder on the sd card.

Once copy is done, turned of USB storage and checked USB debugging on.

Opened the OI File Manager, browsed for the copied apk file and opened it. It installed the gingerbreak app. (I could see it under the applications list).

Launched the app. It gave the menu option to root, I selected it.

It displayed a message that it might taken several minutes. Waited for around ten minutes. Then found this note on the same XDA Page which said

"WARNING: Apparently on some devices the root exploit causes the SD card (internal or external) to be formatted. Also, if it gets stuck but you do see the card mounting/unmounting, try formatting your SD card yourself and try again (or use a different SD card) - often this works (a fix for both issues is being looked at)"

I could see the message for my card unmounted. Hence I killed the process using task killer. Switched off USB debugging and disconnected the phone.

Then restarted the phone.

Connected again to the laptop, enabled USB debugging, opened the app again and selected root option.

This time too I got the SD card unmounted message, I was about to give up on it and stop the process, but the phone switched off.

Restarted again, installed Superuser and busybox ( from the market). Really don't know the purpose of these apps, just did that from the steps listed.

Installed Titanium back up and recovery app ( market) and then took a back up the apps that I wanted to remove and then uninstalled them using the same.

My phone was on 2.2.2 ( v10E). I got it as 2.2.1 ( v10c). Did not do any other special steps. All the while ( till the reboot) I had it connected to my laptop and it was on USB debugging mode. It just worked, may be I am lucky :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd May 2011 at 13:43. Reason: fixed COLOR TAGS

Most Viewed