Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 09:28   #29626
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Thanks for responding. Am looking for < 20k phone. Heavy user for email(screen, battery), music(battery) other use cases are average. Rugged screen to withstand toddler.

Using Mi Note 5 Pro..Was thinking of S31 but it has same 6GB RAM
Wait for a week more. The Redmi Note 9/9 Pro looks exciting.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:00   #29627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Thanks for responding. Am looking for < 20k phone. Heavy user for email(screen, battery), music(battery) other use cases are average. Rugged screen to withstand toddler.

Using Mi Note 5 Pro..Was thinking of S31 but it has same 6GB RAM
You don't need 6 GB ram for email. For email you need a large screen. I would prefer a 720 p display for bigger text and battery. I'm using Redmi note 6 pro. And a realme 5. The former with 1080p screen and latter with 720p with 6.5 inch display. I have large hands and can manage the big screen with a single hand.The former with 6gb ram, latter with 3gb.There is no difference in performance.

If you don't care for the camera much and just do mainly email and battery is a big consideration, consider a cheaper option like Realme c3 for 7-8k.

If 6.5 inch screen is too big and camera is a consideration, consider the Mi A3 @ 12k with Android one and 48 MP AMOLED display

Realme phones with 5000 mah battery are the phones with the best battery life, on par with Samsung 6000 mah battery.

If AMOLED display is must, Samsung has the best display @13k ,6 4 inch. M30S.

There are also 3gb ram/64 GB storage options from Realme.

I'll be happy with a 3gb phone for the next 2 years. Even though I have a 6gb Ram phone, it is overkill for most users.I would rather spend the money on a better camera and a bigger battery, instead of Ram/storage.

My usage is similar to yours, battery, display, Camera are my priorities.

Battery champs are phones under 15k or the iPhone 11 pro max.

I recommend a cheaper phone as you can use it for 2 years and replace it with faster storage and ram , faster processor models instead of more ram and more storage.
Old 4th March 2020, 10:14   #29628
BHPian

Guys rather stupid question from. Got an Nokia 4.2 for mom. Got a brand new SIM for the mobile and had been operating ok for a while. Few days earlier, she started complaining that SMS is not going. Tried the internet advise *#*$4636*#*# and found that Message Centre number is missing. No amount of update and refresh is working. The connection is a BSNL connection and the number has been default for needs like Domestic gas booking etc. I am stumped and not able to solve. Any pointers on what else i could try. If all else fails, Would it need a visit to BSNL office or any service centre for Nokia?
Old 4th March 2020, 19:56   #29629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
... question from. Got an Nokia 4.2 for ...

If all else fails, Would it need a visit to BSNL office or any service centre for Nokia?
Check Permissions for the SMS app. Allow all required permissions and check if it works.

Also, check if there is a different default messaging app, you may need to change the default to the one you use.
May be an update (to Android or the app) messed up something.

Update - Try clearing data and cache in the app information page.

Last edited by mvadg : 4th March 2020 at 20:19.
Old 4th March 2020, 20:16   #29630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys rather stupid question from. Got an Nokia 4.2 for mom. Got a brand new SIM for the mobile and had been operating ok for a while. Few days earlier, she started complaining that SMS is not going. Tried the internet advise *#*$4636*#*# and found that Message Centre number is missing....
Tried resetting mobile network settings? It should pull the carrier configuration settings to the device again. It's usually located in the 'Settings > About Phone' menu somewhere (may vary by Android version and any manufacturer skin overlay).
Old 4th March 2020, 20:53   #29631
BHPian

Quote:
Guys rather stupid question from. Got an Nokia 4.2 for mom. ..... If all else fails, Would it need a visit to BSNL office or any service centre for Nokia?
Does the field permit entry?

If yes, you can note the message center from any other BSNL phone and enter it.
Old 4th March 2020, 22:53   #29632
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

How do I make the Android Auto app (in my phone, not HU) launch when it connects to my cars bluetooth? I have a 2012 Ford Fusion with an ICE system as old as the car.

Thanks
LC123

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2020 at 07:37. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
Old 5th March 2020, 18:27   #29633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Folks,
How do I make the Android Auto app (in my phone;not HU) launch when my it connects to my cars bluetooth? I have an 2012 Ford Fusion with an ICE system as old as the car.

Thanks
LC123
Hey LC123,

There should be the option of Auto Launch in your phone's Android Auto app. Go to Settings by hitting the 3 lines on the top left and scroll until you see Auto Launch.

So enabling it will automatically start Android Auto once it connects to your car's bluetooth system (presuming its SYNC for the Ford Fusion).

Image source: Android Central

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-androidautobluetoothsetupscreens.jpeg
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 19:21   #29634
BHPian

Thanks a lot for advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Allow all required permissions and check if it works.

Also, check if there is a different default messaging app

Update - Try clearing data and cache in the app information page.
Done
Done
Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tried resetting mobile network settings?
I tried selecting carrier automatically and then manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Does the field permit entry?
Yes it does when u press #*#*4636*#*#. Appears empty there. Tried entering message centre number there. Does not remain saved.

Update 5th March. Incoming SMS are coming. It is problem only in outgoing.
Next step let me try software update and security patch updates till date and see. Sad data speeds here. So please stand by at least till weekend for updates
Old 6th March 2020, 22:11   #29635
BHPian

Quote:
If all else fails, Would it need a visit to BSNL office or any service centre for Nokia?
At the cost of sounding redundant, I wanna ask if you've tried the sim on a different phone and whether the same issue persists?

If it does, then it maybe an issue with the SIM settings and not the phone. Should check with BSNL then.
Old 7th March 2020, 00:40   #29636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried selecting carrier automatically and then manually.
That's not what I meant. Whenever a new device is powered on with a SIM, the network operator pushes carrier configuration settings to the device.

This bit may have gone wrong for some reason, and could be fixed with a reset. In the initial days of smartphones, this was a manual process of asking the provider to push settings specific to your device's make/model, but is now automated.
Old 8th March 2020, 14:07   #29637
BANNED

I am a Samsung addict. Now I plan to dump my S8. Should I go for S10 or S20. Also what flavour. The price differs a lot.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th March 2020 at 07:00. Reason: typo corrected
Old 8th March 2020, 15:10   #29638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am a Samsung addict. Now I plan to dump my S8. Should I go for S10 or S20. Also what flavour. The price differs a lot.
Why not the S9 Plus, it available for a bargain and has better Stereo Speakers, better battery and bigger display than the S8. The camera unit is also a dual setup and it comes with 6GB RAM.

Best it won't break the bank. I just got one and I am pretty happy. I still have my S8 and I found this to be a decent enough upgrade.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th March 2020 at 07:03. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 8th March 2020, 15:40   #29639
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Why not the S9 Plus, it available for a bargain and has better Stereo Speakers, better battery and bigger display than the S8. The camera unit is also a dual setup and it comes with 6GB RAM.

Best it won't break the bank. I just got one and I am pretty happy. I still have my S8 and I found this to be a decent enough upgrade.
Thanks. I plan to shift my S8 to my better half and then go for another phone. I will look at the S9 also. Let me see what I get.
Old 8th March 2020, 16:39   #29640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks. I plan to shift my S8 to my better half and then go for another phone. I will look at the S9 also. Let me see what I get.
Wow, that's exactly what I did. Can't believe it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks