Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 16:29   #29971
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I normally buy a phone sticker to cover the screen from a local shop I trust so that they can also stick it for me. But with COVID, I am now planning to buy one from Amazon/Flipkart & stick it myself. So a few questions.

1) I usually buy a regular sticker & not tempered glass. Is there any advantage of one over the other? My main purpose is so that the oil from fingers don't get on to the screen & spoil the screen.

2) What's a good brand of sticker/tempered glass to buy. I have earlier seen that some brands get spoiled fast & also spoil the screen. That's why I usually buy & get it fitted from a store I know where I usually have had no problems.

3) How easy difficult is it to stick it on to the phone yourself?

The phone I am doing this for is a 10K phone nothing too expensive.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th September 2020 at 18:08. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2020, 17:06   #29972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The phone I am doing this for is a 10K phone nothing too expensive.
Tempered glass is now 40rs to 60rs for most phones. I replace them myself every three to six months. Easy to apply. We have 5 phones at home and all of them have always been with these 100rs or less tempered glasses. These protect from most falls, except from my experience, a fall on jagged or rocky surfaces.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:44   #29973
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Tempered glass is now 40rs to 60rs for most phones. I replace them myself every three to six months. Easy to apply. We have 5 phones at home and all of them have always been with these 100rs or less tempered glasses. These protect from most falls, except from my experience, a fall on jagged or rocky surfaces.
I am not particularly looking to protect from falls. My main purpose with the sticker is to prevent finger oils & dirt from going on the screen. And the non-glass sticker I last had on my phone was around 150 Rs & it lasted for nearly 2 years.
Old 18th September 2020, 19:15   #29974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I normally buy a phone sticker to cover the screen from a local shop I trust so that they can also stick it for me. But with COVID, I am now planning to buy one from Amazon/Flipkart & stick it myself.

Sir it is NOT idiotproof for TWO reasons:
a. Small bubble can propogate and make life miserable.
b.It depends really on your phone case. I use thick bumper cases from Spigen which leave little room for tempered glass.

Many users like tempered glass which goes right till the edge so that they can use phone without case.

You cannot figure this out - it makes selection of a glass very hard since no one on amazon would precisely say it fits with Spigen but not XYZ cheap chinese knockoff of Spigen (those hard armor cases).

Please help your neighborhood phone shop guy to make a honest living and save yourself the headache and the time you've already wasted in researching

Like big corporates treat each other - you can keep the payment outcome based and pay only on satisfaction
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:22   #29975
BHPian

I picked up a K20pro recently and the MiUi Experience has been quite a downer, it has too many issues that still needs to be ironed out.

1. The Back button does not work once in a while
2. The Chrome browser to hangs.
3. System is unable to track Runtasstic GPS when phone is locked.
4. Instagram stories do not move to the next slide at times.

I moved to MiUI from pure android phone, low key regretting buying the K20. Will look at custom ROM once warranty expires and my company allows me to run their apps (Outlook) on rooted phones.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:39   #29976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir it is NOT idiotproof for TWO reasons:
a. Small bubble can propogate and make life miserable.
b.It depends really on your phone case. I use thick bumper cases from Spigen which leave little room for tempered glass.
And tiniest bit of dust creates a bubble, and the dust can't be removed.

Did I read somewhere about people applying screen-saver glass in the shower after (not during ) running a hot shower? Reasoning being that that the steam settles the dust. Does this make sense?

I prefer to get this job done by someone who does it all the time, but one can't be sure they do until after the event. Got mad at some guy in big phone shop who screwed up the supplied-with-phone glass. They replaced it, but tried to charge me! No way!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th September 2020 at 21:41.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 07:37   #29977
Team-BHP Support

I don't trust tempered glasses especially after a friend who had it on his Mi device dropped the phone on the floor and the tempered glass was intact whereas the phone's display cracked! Not kidding. He got the display replaced from the Mi store later.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 14:01   #29978
BANNED

Quote:
Please help your neighborhood phone shop guy to make a honest living and save yourself the headache and the time you've already wasted in researching
That's what i used to do. Now I don't really want to be inside a A/C shop with others.

Any idea which brands of stickers (not tempered glass) are good?
Old 19th September 2020, 15:44   #29979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I don't trust tempered glasses especially after a friend who had it on his Mi device dropped the phone on the floor and the tempered glass was intact whereas the phone's display cracked! Not kidding. He got the display replaced from the Mi store later.
Are you drawing the conclusion that it is better not to use tempered glass?

It might not be the right conclusion.

--- Without the tempered glass, the screen might well have cracked anyway

--- The tempered glass did no good in this instance, but might help in many others

Actually, isn't it's purpose more to protect from from scratches, etc? I don't know how much real impact absorption it can do.

My phone had a face-down fall from table-top height a few months ago. There is small nick in the edge of the tempered glass and about an inch of very fine crack. I meant to replace the tempered glass but it is not enough to bother. I'm expecting that the display is fine underneath. I can't guess whether the screen would have suffered damage without the cover.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 23:17   #29980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really want to be inside a A/C shop with others.

Any idea which brands of stickers (not tempered glass) are good?
I'm against stickers - I would just buy two different brands of tempered glasses to be safe in case one doesnt agree with your case. Its a commodity that is a sacrificial layer. sticker / those plastic ones arent good enough IMHO

PS: Truly agree and respect your pov on AC spaces btw.
I would wear the safest mask I have, walk in hand the phone, and then walk out while they fix the glass!

@Gannu - Your friend's scenario could happen when the phone has no case but tempered glass which does not extend right till the edge (designed to work well with cases). In that case the phone edge (which is glass) makes contact with the floor but not the tempered glass. I would not read too much into it.

It would be unlikely if the phone had a solid case and yet the screen shattered but not the tempered glass!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2020 at 11:48. Reason: Dropping the 'sir' part. :)
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 11:48   #29981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are you drawing the conclusion that it is better not to use tempered glass?
No. The tempered glass in this particular instance couldn't protect the original display. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought, in addition to preventing the day-to-day scratches from keys and other similar objects in the pocket, the tempered glass was also meant to protect the original display from cracking in the event of a minor drop. No?

Quote:
@Gannu - Your friend's scenario could happen when the phone has no case but tempered glass which does not extend right till the edge (designed to work well with cases).
That could be true. This was one of those cheap 100 Rs Chinese tempered glasses available in the local mobile stores.

I haven't applied one on my device (Mi A2). I've had a few occasions before on other devices when minor bubbles started appearing after a few days and for someone like me who has an OCD about these things, this can be a major irritant! Luckily, the stock display has no major scratches so far (minor yes but visible only if you look carefully) and it has also survived a few small drops. The bundled silicone case has worked well.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:34   #29982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought, in addition to preventing the day-to-day scratches from keys and other similar objects in the pocket, the tempered glass was also meant to protect the original display from cracking in the event of a minor drop. No?
You are correct Gannu. I dropped my iPhone a couple of years ago while taking it out of my pocket, straight to the ground, glass side down, the tempered glass took the impact. It splintered, but my phone was perfect.

I would suggest installing a good quality tempered glass, it’s safer with it, than without it for sure.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2020, 13:10   #29983
Senior - BHPian

With phones getting increasingly curvy on the edges, a good tempered glass needs to cover the surface fully. Else, any impact of a fall is very likely to break it. The ubiquitous 50-100 rupee pieces generally do not envelope the screen till its edges.

Tempered glasses (they aren't glasses, per se, but still ) come in multiple guises, with various hardness coatings. Have seen them being referred to as 5D, 7D and even 11D . Irrespective of the variety, a phone with tempered glass is less likely to be damaged than one without, even if very slightly so!
Old 20th September 2020, 17:33   #29984
BANNED

Why should one prefer the Galaxy A71 or A51 over the M51 which seems to be better spec'ed?

Only negative of M51 I see is its weight, which seems to be compensated by its higher battery capacity. Even pointers to user experiences will do.
Old 20th September 2020, 21:53   #29985
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Why should one prefer the Galaxy A71 or A51 over the M51 which seems to be better spec'ed?
Because of these reasons-

1. Proper Samsung One UI experience with apps like Samsung Pay and a few more such apps Samsung Knox security, edge panel(helps with multi-tasking) etc. The M series get a slightly truncated/muted/towned down version of the One UI.

2. A more premium back design.

With that being said, I would definitely not choose the A51 over the M51 due to the A51's inferior Exynos 9611 chip. But if I had the budget for the A71, I would definitely prefer it over the M51 even though in monetary terms, it is difficult to justify the premium for the A71 over the M51.

Yes, the M51 has a massive battery, but do you often see yourself not being in a position to charge your phone often? Most people will not.

Also, the difference in the processing speed of the Snapdragon 730 and the Snapdragon 730g is minimal.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks