Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 20:27   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thanks will try this out.

I found that the default Live wallpapers consuming 15mb of memory. Quite a bit eh? So have switched to a static one.

I've been using an E61i for 3 yrs and the ease of use of a QWERTY keyboard made me decide that I would surely replace it with another QWERTY phone.

But I must admit that I am wavering now. Been playing with Swype on wifey's GS. It's fantastic! I'm really wondering whether I'll miss a QWERTY input, if I have Swype. The icing on the cake would surely be a sleek phone with Swype AND a slide out QWERTY
Shuvc: If you are looking for a combination of both SWYPE & QWERTY Key its available with Motorola Milestone. You can download beta version of SWYPE and use the device as per your convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm not saying the milestone is a bad phone - just didn't think it was comparable to the other two mentioned. Sorry - donno why i thought it was still on 2.0.
As for call (sound) quality, thats one area the Galaxy S isn't great. I feel the earpiece makes it hard to hear.

Galaxy S Pro (or epic 4G - though thats CDMA(?))

cya
R

PS - Anmol, thanks again. I see you're selling that case you ordered - may i ask why?

Tasker - POWERFUL program for automating events based on ANY triggers (eg. headphones plugged in, location, time of day, gestures, etc). Complicated to use - but powerful. Paid app. Free 7 day trial on their site.
Rehaan i agree, its again individual choice which set to purchase or one likes. Call quality is not the best in many smartphones as the companies have prime focus on other functionalities (Ideally call quality should be the best as thats what they are supposed to do best ).

One of the example is IPhone 4G reception issue which was mainly caused by steel case being defined as Antenna.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2010 at 13:03. Reason: Hi saurabhdadhichi, please don't type your replies in all bold text. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2010, 08:55   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Call quality is not the best in many smartphones as the companies have prime focus on other functionalities
I found the call quality in my sgs to be pretty good. It is better than the nokia i had before.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:38   #288
BHPian

^^ I totally agree with gkrishn regarding call quality of SGS. I too had a Nokia N95, the call quality of which was a disappointment. Before N95, I had a Sony Ericsson P910i whose quality was better than what it replaced. Samsungs have always done the basic things right, there is no disputing the signal strengths and call quality of any of their smart phones, leaving aside many of the other software glitches.

While researching for Android phones, other than Galaxy S, I tried HTC Legend, which was reasonably good, Motorola Milestone was excellent and Xperia X10 was a disappointment. Having used Sony Ericsson smart phones before, it was a shocker to me and I expected better call quality. SGS matched Milestone and packed a lot more features and so was the obvious choice. Advantage the Milestone packs is the physical keypad, which for me is not much use since the virtual one in SGS is a good substitute with good recognition and spacing, thanks to the large screen area. Due to the physical keypad, Milestone is bulky and heavy compared to the slim and light feel of SGS.

Last edited by v.anand : 6th September 2010 at 10:43.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:06   #289
BHPian

Quote:

PS - Does anyone get a satellite signal strength greater than 40 using GPS Test (see the numbers on top of the bars)
Attachment 416293

@HellWrath - yup, i couldn't resist. Have rooted + one click lag fixed my phone. Was quite painless (via app availble in the market!) and phone is better, though still lags at times.
Welcome the root club . Back here after a long time as I was on vacation for the past week. I was at my hometown and there are not too many tall buildings around, so I got a chance to test my GPS under a clear sky with nothing blocking the phone and the sky. There were 10 satellites in view and 8 were used for locking and the lock was pretty instantaneous (5-10 seconds). IIRC, the value I got was about 60, not too sure though.

And btw, everyone back home now want to know all about android. I guess, the awareness level is going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Aah, ok. Is there any other way like getting the app to the PC by paying and then upload it to the phone?
Actually, there is. You can transfer the file (.apk source file) to the phone and use any of the file browsers (like astro etc) to locate and install. As simple as that.

Quote:
Hi clevermax,

Why not motorola Milestone? Considering that it is also getting froyo upgrade in Q1 2011.

Regards
Saurabh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Aye guys the milestone rocks...
not as good as the Galaxy S though, but it has a tactile qwerty keypad.
THe MIlestone comes with 2.1 and a 2.2 upgrade is on its way.

The Droid [Milestone counterpart in the states is already on 2.2]

3.0 will be too much for the Milestone.

Also heard that 3.0 will not be an OTA upgrade, will only come pre-installed.

I'd say wait for a bit. Android is a fast growing market. the longer you wait, the more options you'll have and everythign will be a tad cheaper.
The only reason Milestone is not one of of the phones I suggest is because of the locked bootloader. Whereas that's not the case for droid. A locked bootloader can hurt a lot if you like to mess around with the phone and all.

EDIT: The apps I am currently in love with are Google Skymaps and Latitude. Not to mention, with brut mod, navigation is possible as well . Games that I love as of now are Cubix and Asaphalt. Has any noticed or is it only me that I receive mails faster on my phone than on gmail, even on EDGE network. As soon as I hear the beep, I just open the gmail and I have to wait for a couple of seconds for it to show up.

Last edited by HellwratH : 6th September 2010 at 12:09.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:30   #290
Senior - BHPian

When will Lotus Traveler be available on Android?

Is there any version of Lotus Mobile Connect that works on these phones?
Old 6th September 2010, 14:43   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Not to mention, with brut mod, navigation is possible as well .
You have to listen to it when it tries to say "sarjapur road"
Quote:
Has any noticed or is it only me that I receive mails faster on my phone than on gmail, even on EDGE network. As soon as I hear the beep, I just open the gmail and I have to wait for a couple of seconds for it to show up.
I found it was also faster than my laptop in syncing with outlook, inside my office.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:00   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Call quality is not the best in many smartphones as the companies have prime focus on other functionalities (Ideally call quality should be the best as thats what they are supposed to do best ).

One of the example is IPhone 4G reception issue which was mainly caused by steel case being defined as Antenna.
IMO, unless the call quality is top notch, all other features are useless. I don't think i'd go for a smartphone unless I am assured the best sound clarity. Also, can be irritating for others, unless it is so.

I guess I'll have to keep this issue in first in mind before I decide on which smartphone I buy (if at all).
Old 6th September 2010, 16:22   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
You have to listen to it when it tries to say "sarjapur road"I found it was also faster than my laptop in syncing with outlook, inside my office.
I can imagine . I want to disable the lady who reads out the track names when I am playing music, it's pretty irritating.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:29   #294
BHPian

Guys are there any GPS software for android with offline maps?
Old 6th September 2010, 16:35   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Map my India,has Maps for Android phones.

Guys how is HTC Wildfire(Desire mini) as a entry level Android phone?
Old 6th September 2010, 16:37   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Quite a few. Check out brut maps
[APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16 - xda-developers

The problem is that you will have to generate these maps and store them on your phone (MGMaps). I'd suggest you use this method,
xda-developers - View Single Post - [APPMOD][09.08.10] Brut Google Maps 4.4.0.4414-brut16

Other options are AndNav2, BigPlanet. Check them out and use the one that suits you best. I have been using Brut and I am very very happy with it.
Old 7th September 2010, 10:45   #297
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Milestone 2 (i.e. GSM Droid 2) launched. Will be available in Europe in Q4. Hoping to see this soon in India too.

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/cont...2&pubid=987654
Old 7th September 2010, 12:51   #298
BHPian

Unlike Ovi maps, not able to get free navigation on my nexus one. Any way of getting free navigation apart from buying from map my india ?
Old 7th September 2010, 13:10   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think the Milestone is in the same league as the other 2 phones mentioned, because...
Here's another reason - Even when the milestone gets 2.2, it still might not support Flash, as the processor and other requirements for Flash 10.1 have been recently upped.

Link : Motorola Droid & Milestone "Not Compatible" With Flash 10.1 | WWWery.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
...IIRC, the value I got was about 60, not too sure though...
Niiice. Maybe its all the pollution thats killing the signal here!?

Naughty Tip : I had a Rs.99/mo UNLIMITED WAP browsing plan on my phone. (Corporate offering).

Obviously this means that you can only browse WAP sites and not WWW sites. However, if you use Opera Mini or any other browser (that uses a proxy i guess?) you can browse ANY www site!

Downside is that no Apps / email client etc will be able to connect to the net via GPRS :(

cya
R

PS - When i said "call quality" wasn't good i meant the earpiece's speaker quality / sound reproduction + seal with your ear.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2010 at 15:53.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:09   #300
BHPian

help reqd.

Dear Advanced users of the holy SGS,
As a new SGS owner/user, I seek your help with some queries that I have. Please forgive my partial knowledge and help me with my queries.

A little info on my phone and model:

Model: Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I9000DDJF6
Kernel version: 2.6.29 sk78.yun@SE-S605#2
Build number: ECLAIR

Note: My phone is not rooted, and I don't wish to at the moment.

1. GPS:

I turn ON GPS with mobile data (3G/GPRS) OFF and load the inbuilt Google maps application and search for my location only to find that it is not able to display the same.

I switch ON mobile data (3G/GPRS) and try the same and it shows my location about 10 metres off of my actual location. (I guess it is showing me the location of the cell tower that I am receiving my signal from?)

I was under the impression that it should display the maps with ONLY GPS turned ON. Am I missing something here? Is this what assisted GPS is all about where the GPS relies on the tower broadcast to determine the location?

2. GMAIL:

When I turn ON mobile data (3G/GPRS) and open the native gmail app on the phone, it loads conversations alright. But when a new mail comes in, it does not automatically notify me of the new mail and it does not get added to the list of mails in the inbox. But when I hit refresh in the gmail app, I see the new mails coming through.

Am I missing some sync setting here? I was under the presumption that with mobile data ON, new mails should automatically get added to my inbox and I should be notified.

I have added the power control widget and notice a sync type of icon between gps and brightness. Will turning this on solve my issue?

My observation(s):

I sms quite a lot and have quite a few threads piled up on my messaging app.
A few days ago I was messaging my wife and another friend simultaneously and after a while, my friend said he was receiving weird messages. Then I realised that the phone was sending messages meant for my wife to my friend! At first I could not believe it. I went into the messaging app and swiped left on my wife's name and it was opening all the conversations I had with my wife but the name at the top was that of my friend!! I swiped right on my wife's name to call her and it was dialing my friend!!
I had to delete all threads from my friend and wife before this got sorted out. I am shocked at this and have never experienced this with any of the older phones. I have used nokias, sony ericssons and motorolas... .

My second observation is that the apps "NOLED" and "Handcent SMS" do not work if installed together and are running simultaneously.

NOLED is for displaying an led on screen when it is off and hancent shows a message popup. So I had to uninstall handcent as I saw more value in using NOLED (though for a different purpose).

Most Viewed