Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 23:14   #30001
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Agree, I have been using a One Plus 6 from Oct 2018 and it still performs as new.

Candycars, I suppose you meant Jan 2019?
Yeah, I meant Jan 2019. And for the 5T, 2018. Messed up the years
Old 6th October 2020, 00:31   #30002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know why Samsung is so stupid. This year, with every update, I've noticed my S9 getting slower & slower. What was a perfectly fast phone in Jan 2020 is annoyingly sluggish in Oct 2020. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and switching the updates off. Stupid idiots.
They do it intentionally, so that customers get tired, and eventually get rid of the old model and buy a new phone. Even apple has been reported to using this tactic, but I haven't seen it as of yet on my mom's iPhone SE (old), which just got updated to ios14.
Plus samsung sells their phones with the inferior Exynos chips here in India, as opposed to the Snapdragon equipped ones in US, which is much better at the same price.
aarnav_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:10   #30003
Distinguished - BHPian

Been using the Sony Xperia 1 for 2+ months, let's put it this way, it is faster than an iPhone, worked out cheaper than a high-end Samsung and has a camera and screen optimization for natural color pictures and media output, and it doesn't have the sindoor (teardrop notch) or bindi (punch-hole) like the rest of the phones, and as a result comes with a proper dual-speaker setup with Dolby Atmos.

Here are the salient features of the phone found in no other :

- 21:9 CinemaWide (ultrawide) display

- 4K display at 600+ ppi

- Separate camera shutter button unique only to Sony (can't live without it)

- Dolby Atmos sound

- Vibration system to get feedback like PS3 controllers when watching videos or playing games (for me its always off).

Happy to have this unique piece in India, hope it serves well for a couple of years (22 more months), since I saved quite a bit in acquiring this compared to an overpriced Apple or Samsung, I also picked up the WH-1000XM4 recently. I don't use any apps or gaming, but I do play a lot of media when having spare time so battery life or performance isn't important, but nice to know it is the alpha of the pack (its camera app is tuned by their Alpha division and has insane settings in manual mode).

dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:25   #30004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Been using the Sony Xperia 1 for 2+ months...
Did you import the phone from somewhere, and if you don't mind, what was the cost of the phone, and what will you do about the after sales service, owing to Sony's absence here ?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th October 2020 at 15:15. Reason: Trimmed quote
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 14:13   #30005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Did you import the phone from somewhere, and if you don't mind, what was the cost of the phone, and what will you do about the after sales service, owing to Sony's absence here ?
Valid questions, expected them as well. Firstly we buy only Sony, and only opt for other brands if Sony isn't manufacturing that particular gadget, so that's the reason why I bought the Xperia 1.

Yes its a European import, the model is purely Japanese manufactured and there are people here who've acquired a few when it was going on sale or during initial lots when it shipped with the 1000XM3. Got it for a tad under the big five-o, that's about all I can say.

Been a great journey with the brand, number one in build quality and not one of their products have failed thus far so I'm hoping to squeeze 2 or 3 years out of it easy, not worried about warranty or service one bit, its a SONY.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th October 2020 at 14:15.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 23:36   #30006
Senior - BHPian

My wife's Moto G4 is not detecting the Jio Sim in both sim slots. The other sim she uses is Bsnl which gets detected in both sim slots.

The Sim Slot in which Jio Sim is inserted shows- Sim Empty.

I checked the Jio Sim in Lyf Flame-2 phone. It gets detected and can be used for calling as well as data.

I am not able to understand is it the Moto G4 which is culprit here or the Jio Sim.

Please help.

The phone was bought in January 2017 and is currently running on Android 7.0.
Old 7th October 2020, 00:22   #30007
Senior - BHPian

EDIT: - I inserted the Jio Sim in my Lenovo K6 Power and the Sim got detected but no network was there. Then I checked in Settings>Sim management. Then Network appeared. Again I inserted that Sim in Moto G4 and in Settings>Sim Cards, played some time along and the Dual Sim Setup Notification appeared. Tapped it and selected the Jio Sim as Default for Mobile Data, Sms, and Calls. And Bingo! the Jio Sim started working.

I think I will have to get the Jio Sim Card replaced with new one.
Old 7th October 2020, 11:02   #30008
BHPian

Whats the best device one can get with an upper limit of about 25k? Reliability, good battery, 5-6" screen size and great screen resolution are probably top priorities. Can live with an above average camera. One Plus Nord or the Samsung M series or something else? Can stretch by a few thousand if its worth it. Brand is not so important.
Old 7th October 2020, 11:47   #30009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Whats the best device one can get with an upper limit of about 25k? Reliability, good battery, 5-6" screen size and great screen resolution are probably top priorities. Can live with an above average camera. One Plus Nord or the Samsung M series or something else? Can stretch by a few thousand if its worth it. Brand is not so important.
Wait for 17th Oct. Google Pixel 4a is launching in India.

If its Android then it has to be either Pixel or AndroidOne, get the Android in purest form to experience the best performance for years.

OEM skins and bloatwares just deteriorate the device performance and user experience.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 12:47   #30010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Wait for 17th Oct. Google Pixel 4a is launching in India.

If its Android then it has to be either Pixel or AndroidOne, get the Android in purest form to experience the best performance for years.

OEM skins and bloatwares just deteriorate the device performance and user experience.
What is the expected price?
Old 7th October 2020, 15:12   #30011
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
. And Bingo! the Jio Sim started working.

I think I will have to get the Jio Sim Card replaced with new one.
Does this have anything to do with LTE?

Quote:
Whats the best device one can get with an upper limit of about 25k? Reliability, good battery, 5-6" screen size and great screen resolution are probably top priorities. Can live with an above average camera. One Plus Nord or the Samsung M series or something else?
The Nord has 3 variants with 6GB RAM 64 GB memory to 12/256. And the M 51 has 2. Which one are you looking at?

GSMarena has a longterm review on the Nord which says that the Indian version has "some software glitches" without giving specifics. An A71 owner told me to go for Nord when I asked him about his phone. I'll need 2 phones in next 5 - 9 months and can wait.
Old 7th October 2020, 15:21   #30012
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest take a good hard look at the Moto One Fusion Plus, would be about 10k cheaper than your budget.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:29   #30013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the best device one can get with an upper limit of about 25k? Reliability, good battery, 5-6" screen size...Can stretch by a few thousand if its worth it. Brand is not so important.
Pixel 4a looks good. Even I am a sucker for compact phones but sadly all phones nowadays are huge. iPhone SE & pixel 4a are probably the only two midrangers(30-40k) lately that fulfill that criteria. Wait for around 10 days and check out the pixel. Reviews from US and other countries where its released already are pretty good. Its worth the wait IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the expected price?
Ballpark of 30-35k is what it’s expected to be. Will mostly be between Nord at bottom end and iPhone SE at higher end.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th October 2020 at 15:42.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:34   #30014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
GSMarena has a longterm review on the Nord which says that the Indian version has "some software glitches" without giving specifics. An A71 owner told me to go for Nord when I asked him about his phone. I'll need 2 phones in next 5 - 9 months and can wait.
I had bought the Nord 12/256 version for my wife when it was launched. So far it has been working fine and there were some initial glitches in accessing contacts which was resolved in the updates which had come after a few days after the launch. Now the phone is butter smooth.
Some users also complain the display has tones of grey/green at low brightness.. we did not find any issue with our phone.
Also a lot of users initially complained about the cameras, but they are all good, except for the macro camera which is hardly used anyway.
My wife moved from Apple iPhone 8 to this and initially she found it very complex but now she is fully used to it and finds it better than the apple. The cameras are also miles ahead of the Iphone 8 (she earlier used to think Iphone cameras are best, but now she knows better)
Incidentally we are all now on OnePlus
Son is using my 3 year old Oneplus 3t ( only had battery changed)
Wife is using Oneplus Nord 12/256
And I am using Oneplus 6T (now almost 18 months old)
I have found OnePlus phones to be among the best Android phones in this budget segment and their performance remains consistent over the years.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:08   #30015
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Ballpark of 30-35k is what it's expected to be.
Listed on Amazon India for ₹ 58,999 as of now. 7.00 PM IST 07/10/2020. Found link on GSMArena.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CFSZLQ4/..._goCFFb162HCTK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks