Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:53   #30106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys, can someone suggest me a reliable way to completely erase my OnePlus 5T? I am planning to sell it off but want to make sure that the whatsapp/Gmail/Gallery/Google account data are completely erased from the phone.
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:07   #30107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, can someone suggest me a reliable way to completely erase my OnePlus 5T? I am planning to sell it off but want to make sure that the whatsapp/Gmail/Gallery/Google account data are completely erased from the phone.

Either via System-> Reset Option -> Erase All data (factory reset)

or Go to recovery (Hold power button for 2 sec, take reboot recovery option).
In that Wipe Data -> Factory reset.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:40   #30108
BANNED

Quote:
Look for some "secure" data wiping software too. In the play store.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 15:45   #30109
BHPian

Quote:
Use an app like this iShredder6

I know that that normal erase does not actually erase the contents of the storage and can be recovered using tools if your phone did not have encrypted storage enabled.
You could also reset your phone the usual way, set up a dummy account, install an app like the one above and erase storage again.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:42   #30110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Even with a nice case on it.
Could you please share the details of the case that you're phone is sporting presently? I am unable to find a decent one either on FK or Amazon. With the slippery back, it is difficult to handle the phone at times.

Thankfully, managed to get a tempered glass, which does the job.
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:50   #30111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Could you please share the details of the case that you're phone is sporting presently?
I'm using a Spigen Rugged Armor case. Had got it on Amazon but I guess it's out of stock again! It's pretty good
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:56   #30112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Seems the FE has already seen a price drop after the online sale period and is now starting at Rs 45999 for the 8GB/128GB variant. They also have a 8GB/256GB now for Rs 49999 that is available in their official website.
First and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to write down a detailed reply addressing my queries, appreciate it a lot.

Yes, the prices have been reduced further and now am getting the following pricing. S20 FE at INR 40,999 and S20+ at INR 48,499. This is the pricing via corporate purchase program and so far have not heard any offline store beating this price. It includes few extras as well like free/bundled accidental coverage and 1 or 2 more things (do not recall the exact details).

Quote:
S20+ 12GB/128GB at Rs 49999 is not in the website so would have been a flash sale of sorts or offline only.
My bad, it was not 12 GB RAM but 8 GB RAM only.

Quote:
I picked up the S20+ during the Flipkart BBD sale and exchanged my S7 in the process. The battery does take the hit when kept in 120hz/FHD+ resolution but its a joy to use and the jump from 60Hz to 120hz is evident. My SoT is around 6 hrs with moderate use and no gaming.

Front cam is good at 10MP as it has auto-focus so those single handed selfies may atleast not end up being blur. Haven't clicked a lot of pics via the front cam as of now.
Congratulations on the new phone... glad to know that you are enjoying the experience.....

Quote:
My earlier S7 and S20+ seem to have a similar curvature on the sides so it doesn't feel a lot different for me although S7 is supposed to be a flat display or Samsung has drastically reduced the curves on the S20 series. There is a pre-installed screen protector (not glass but plastic film) on the screen and tempered glass may not be available in abundance for the S20+. Moreover, tempered glass and cover/case do not go hand in hand for the S20+ (the glass will lift when the phone is put in a case making it useless).
This is one thing which I am still confused about, the curved display and how does it impact day to day usage. Some folks say that it can cause accidental touch and issues while others say that it is not that big deal. It would boil down to personal preferences I guess.

Are we saying that phones like S20+ which have a curved display do not have the option of putting a case on the phone? So far I have not used a case for my phones but this being a 40K+ purchase I would feel more comfortable having some protection for it and hence a case would be helpful for it. If S20+ cannot get a case then that might be a point in favour of FE even though I am more inclined towards S20+ since it offers a slightly better display which is better on the eyes (as per online data), earphones and a fast charger out of the box.

The showroom did not have FE available for me to try out both FE & 20+ side by side when I went last. Would make another trip later this week (hopefully FE would be available) and experience both phones side by side. Hopefully I would be able to take a final call and get a new phone for Diwali photos

Cheers,
S
Old 4th November 2020, 17:33   #30113
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit confused between Galaxy M51 and Poco X3. Infact, even M31s and Poco X3.

In some important specs Galaxy M51 is behind Poco X3 (besides being costlier):

1. Lower spec snapdragon processor
2. 60 Hz refresh rate as against Poco X3's 120 Hz.

What really put me off was the SAR value of the M51. At almost 1.4 , its one of the worst phones when comes to SAR value. Same with m31s.

The Poco X3 and surprisingly some other Chinese phones do better in terms of SAR value.
What was Samsung thinking ?

The only thing that puts me off Poco X3 is that its a Chinese and that its a bit too bulky for my liking (235 g). Perhaps i would get used to the weight as time goes on.

Last edited by DCEite : 4th November 2020 at 17:35.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:37   #30114
BHPian

Friends I am also in dilemna. I am for new mobile for my daughter who is now in 11th standard. We have budget upto 20k. We do not want bigger screen. But now a days 6.4 inch minimum is the norm. So we have finalised A51 or M31s. Both have similar spec except M31s has bigger 6000 mah battery against 4000 of A51, which is little bulkier. M31s is recently launched while A51 launched year back. We are tilting towards M31s.
Her use will only be online classes in morning and whatsapp, youtube videos.
She is currently using old Xperia Z5 and wifes LG G7 for online classes.
She is not willing to use wife's LG G7 if I give my spare Xperia XZ1 (just few days back I upgraded to Note10+) to wife (home maker).

Please guide me. I have no budget limit even till 40k but wife has capped upto 20k. I do not want any Chinese (no offence to anybody but thats our priority).

Last edited by HydroFuel : 5th November 2020 at 13:00.
Old 5th November 2020, 15:11   #30115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Friends I am also in dilemna. I am for new mobile for my daughter who is now in 11th standard. We have budget upto 20k. We do not want bigger screen. But now a days 6.4 inch minimum is the norm. So we have finalised A51 or M31s. Both have similar spec except M31s has bigger 6000 mah battery against 4000 of A51, which is little bulkier. M31s is recently launched while A51 launched year back. We are tilting towards M31s.
Her use will only be online classes in morning and whatsapp, Youtube videos.
In your budget of 20K you could get the M51 (6 GB RAM / 128 GB) variant as well. Reason for recommending M51 is that it comes with Snapdragon processor which would imply that phone performs / ages better, and is available within your budget as well. The additional battery and decent camera would be additional bonus.

This offer is available as part of the corporate purchase program wherein phone is priced at 22,999 with a 3,000 cashback on SBI cards. So if you have an SBI card this would fit in your budget requirements. They are also offering 3rd Party Accidental & Liquid Damage Insurance worth upto ₹3,999 free with the purchase. This is not entirely free since should something require repairing we would have to pay the processing fee (something like file handling charges in case of zero depreciation insurance).

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-m51offer.png

M31S is listed for INR 20,499 with 10% cashback on SBI cards.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
S
Old 5th November 2020, 16:12   #30116
BHPian

Bought M31s (6/128) for my Father-in-Law for Rs.16000 from Amazon a few days back. It was listed for Rs.18,500 but with instant discount of Rs.2500 if paid by card, the price came down to Rs.16000. Choice was to be made between M31s and M31 but we went with M31s mainly because of infinity-o-display and slightly better camera on M31s.
Old 5th November 2020, 17:39   #30117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
In your budget of 20K you could get the M51 (6 GB RAM / 128 GB) variant as well. Reason for recommending M51 is that it comes with Snapdragon processor which would imply that phone performs / ages better, and is available within your budget as well. The additional battery and decent camera would be additional bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Bought M31s (6/128) for my Father-in-Law for Rs.16000 from Amazon a few days back. It was listed for Rs.18,500 but with instant discount of Rs.2500 if paid by card, the price came down to Rs.16000. Choice was to be made between M31s and M31 but we went with M31s mainly because of infinity-o-display and slightly better camera on M31s.
One of the biggest drawbacks of both M31s and M51 is the India SAR value of these phones.

At around 1.38 W/kg, its one of the highest ever (limit being 1.6) and suprisingly some chinese phones do better.

Is there any other alternative in this range (upto 25k) with a phone having lower SAR values, still being non-Chinese ?
Old 5th November 2020, 18:46   #30118
BHPian

Quote:
Friends I am also in dilemna. I am for new mobile for my daughter who is now in 11th standard...

...Her use will only be online classes in morning and whatsapp, Youtube videos...
For online classes, buy a tablet. An entry level ipad will cost about 25k and will last for half a decade.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th November 2020 at 19:19. Reason: Trimmed quote.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:16   #30119
BHPian

Thanks guys for your valuable replies.
M51 was not considered because it was even bulkier than M31s even though it has Snapdragon processor. Tablet option was also good though not sure about Apple product but my daughter wanted a phone.
Just got news that my BIL has ordered the M31s with SBI CC with cash back.
I am also evaluating the option if online lecture can be mirrored to my Sony 55 inch TV. Can it be mirrored?
Thanks a lot.
Old 5th November 2020, 22:03   #30120
BHPian

Quote:
Tablet option was also good though not sure about Apple product but my daughter wanted a phone.
You need not have to think about buying an iPad. It is one of the best value propositions available. It is a worthwhile investment especially for online classes. iPads will easily last 4-5 years without any hiccups unlike android phones in the same price range.

I have been using the new 8th Gen iPad for my college classes and it is so much better than watching on a phone
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks