Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2020, 07:54   #30196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Which is the better bet? OS does to not matter as my usage is limited to Whatsapp and banking apps. I am currently using Nokia 2720 Flip with iPhone 6s plus as backup for whatsapp and other apps.
I have no regrets about my Note 10 lite. I still don't have android 11 , but then one UI already had most of the Android 11 features. Note 10 lite was also included in Samsung's 3 OS update announcement. So I assume it will give me 2 more years of OS updates.

One gripe I have is the idle battery consumption. I lose about 10-12 % charge overnight in 8 hours. I have the always on display enabled. I get about 6-7 hours screen on time with battery lasting more than 24 hours. All my video streaming involves buds live. So bluetooth is also always on. Iphone is great at managing battery while idling. It loses only 2-3 % while idling overnight as per my cousins. This may be of particular concern to you since you don't seem to be a heavy user.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th December 2020 at 07:58.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 08:58   #30197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I have recently bought galaxy s20 plus. One big problem I am struggling with is finding a type C to 3. 5 mm converter or a type C earphone which will work with the phone. Most of the ones I bought from Amazon are not recognized by the phone. Even the hifiman type c earphone from headphonezone had a similar fate.
Would like to hear of others' experiences in this regard.
For my OP phone, I am using couple of connectors which I had ordered from OP store(https://www.oneplus.in/product/oneplus-type-c-adapter). Quality is decent and they are permanently attached to my earphones now.
Old 17th December 2020, 09:34   #30198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am picking a brand New Note 10 lite for Rs 20,000/- from a friend. I was just wondering how has the experience been over the last few months. I have an option to switch to iPhone 11 for Rs 40,000/-

Which is the better bet? OS does to not matter as my usage is limited to Whatsapp and banking apps. I am currently using Nokia 2720 Flip with iPhone 6s plus as backup for whatsapp and other apps.
It's been almost 10 months now and I'm happy with the Note 10 Lite experience. If your usage is primarily Whatsapp and banking apps, you should not have any problem with the phone. My main gripe still remains the in screen fingerprint scanner, which even though it has vastly improved with many SW updates, I'd take a physical reader anyday.

After the initial excitement, you realise you aren't using the S-Pen that much, but it's still great to have and a truly unique feature to the Samsung Note series.

Some other points that sum up my experience till date. I don't game on my phone, so my usage is mostly social media and browsing.
  • Very good rear camera(s)
  • Great battery life
  • Great screen
  • Monthly security updates and will get 3 years support from Samsung
  • 'Glasstic' body very prone to fingerprints & scratches - A case is must
  • The odd lag (noticed this usually happens if the phone hasn't been restarted atleast once in 2 weeks)
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:01   #30199
BHPian

For me Phones are no longer generating the excitement like they used to. Except for improving cameras, I really will happily own an older model as well as long as they run lag free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I have no regrets about my Note 10 lite. I still don't have android 11 , but then one UI already had most of the Android 11 features. Note 10 lite was also included in Samsung's 3 OS update announcement. So I assume it will give me 2 more years of OS updates.

One gripe I have is the idle battery consumption.
Glad to hear the phone performing decently. OS Updates also are not that much necessity as I am not really looking forward to any major upgrades. Battery consumption if it lasts a day will be good enough. Generally my notifications and all will be disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
It's been almost 10 months now and I'm happy with the Note 10 Lite experience. If your usage is primarily Whatsapp and banking apps, you should not have any problem with the phone. My main gripe still remains the in screen fingerprint scanner, which even though it has vastly improved with many SW updates, I'd take a physical reader anyday.

After the initial excitement, you realise you aren't using the S-Pen that much, but it's still great to have and a truly unique feature to the Samsung Note series.

Some other points that sum up my experience till date. I don't game on my phone, so my usage is mostly social media and browsing.
  • Very good rear camera(s)
  • Great battery life
  • Great screen
  • Monthly security updates and will get 3 years support from Samsung
  • 'Glasstic' body very prone to fingerprints & scratches - A case is must
  • The odd lag (noticed this usually happens if the phone hasn't been restarted atleast once in 2 weeks)
I have not used a mobile with Pen till date. So guess it will be one different experience compared to the iPhones. Happy that rear camera is good as I will be taking pics of my kids. Selfie camera is only for video calls. Screen is way better than iphone 11( which seems to have lower resolution than the iphone 6s plus I was using.)

Now coming to the fingerprint scanner, it may be a blessing in disguise for me. I want to avoid using mobiles as much as possible. That is why I opted for the Flip phone. But my business happens a lot on whatsapp still. And I need office apps once in a while. If not for this I would be very happy to use the flip phone.

I had my doubts when Considering the processor is too old. Again, for my usage even that processor will be an upgrade. I will take a case for sure. My phones seem to fall pretty regularly. Also the size seems comparable to the iPhone 6s plus.

Thanks guys, then I will close this. If I get bored quickly I may opt for the iPhone 12 or wait for the next iteration of iPhone 13. But the way I see it, if it runs lag free, it will stay for the next 2-3 years.

In between will running the default one UI be good or should I upgrade to One UI 2.5
Old 17th December 2020, 12:16   #30200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am picking a brand New Note 10 lite for Rs 20,000/- from a friend.
If you dont pick it up, you can ping me. I will pick it up. (assuming its brand new)
Old 17th December 2020, 12:28   #30201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In between will running the default one UI be good or should I upgrade to One UI 2.5
I am running the latest One UI 2.5 build and there are no bugs I have experienced. You can go ahead.

Samsung seems to have really worked on their software quality as I am someone who installs updates as soon as the notification pops up and it's been very smooth thus far *touchwood* !
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 12:28   #30202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If you dont pick it up, you can ping me. I will pick it up. (assuming its brand new)
Yes it is brand new. It was coming as a gift for a refrigerator. I told my friend I will pick the phone. Only I am not sure if it has warranty as the bill shows the price is zero. Anyway there is a weeks time for it to arrive. Incase I have a change of heart, you will be the first to know.

If you want the iPhone is there for 40k.
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:27   #30203
Team-BHP Support

Guys, any application available on Android which is similar to Measure in iOS?
Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:29   #30204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, any application available on Android which is similar to Measure in iOS?
Thanks.
There's Google own Measure app which has the same functionality!
neelkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:47   #30205
BHPian

My father is using Samsung A50 mobile phone he got in flipkart sale. I didn't check much an all he wanted was bigger screen (previous phone was iPhone 5S but its screen started going bad). My brother bought it for him.
Now I saw the phone today and it is littered with Ads everywhere. Lockscreen itself has changing ad whenever we unlock phone, whenever call comes, there is a ad below it (I even saw bikini model in it). Then notifications from galaxy store for some ads it is peddling.

Can anyone tell me how I can free this phone of these ads? I have seen people complain about chinese brands to have such ads but wasn't aware that Samsung also is doing the same and I am not used to seeing unsolicited ads on my phone and cannot expect my dad (70+ years) to have technical ability fix this.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:58   #30206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
My father is using Samsung A50 mobile phone he got in flipkart sale.

Can anyone tell me how I can free this phone of these ads? I have seen people complain about chinese brands to have such ads but wasn't aware that Samsung also is doing the same and I am not used to seeing unsolicited ads on my phone and cannot expect my dad (70+ years) to have technical ability fix this.
This is surprising. I am using the same phone for the last 1.5 years and I don’t get any ads. Yes there are sometime Samsung shop ad at the top but nothing like a bikini model or any other ad. I have tried to remove even the Samsung ad option but unfortunately even after Google and you tube search couldn't find a satisfactory solution. Why don't you contact the Samsung support and see if they can provide a solution for this.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2020 at 17:38. Reason: Typos.
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:01   #30207
Senior - BHPian

Try this maybe?

https://thecellguide.com/stop-pop-up...laxy-a50-13687
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:14   #30208
BHPian

Question to Chennai Bhpians - I have an Oneplus 5 which is working perfectly fine! Unfortunately I cracked the Glass but touch and display are working fine. Oneplus charges Approx 6.5k for glass replacement but i understand it can be done within Rs.2k in Ritchie street. Do we have any shops/recommendations for Oneplus Glass replacements in Ritchie street?
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:24   #30209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I had pinned samsung apps to the stock version, and disabled updates. Mostly their app store, account manager, etc. Then, someday, I installed their online store app. (Not the app store - it cant be even disabled). And then - poof!! At least once a week, there are ads on the notification screen. Even after the online store app was uninstalled / removed.

This is a Galaxy A8+, 2018 model.

Other ads on the lock screen can be removed by disabling dynamic lock screen or something like that. Saw it here, a few weeks back.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:44   #30210
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. I will play around with his phone and also check youtube videos. Being iPhone user myself, I have never experienced anything like this so this is all new to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks