Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2021, 07:25   #30571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thailand most likely. I would be really surprised if the phone is made in Japan!

EDIT: Congratulations on owning a beast of a device!
Hi Gannu, thanks, I love it. It's an EU import, it just says Manufacturer : Sony Mobile Communications Inc, 4-12-3 Higashi-Shinagawa, Shinagawa-ku,Tokyo 140-0002, Japan, Imported by Sony Europe B.V.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 16:20   #30572
BHPian

I have a Samsung M31 and an Airtel connection. Much of my work is done through the hotspot from this phone. At times, I don't get connection in my laptop though the phone will have good connectivity.

Any idea on what the issue can be?
Old 9th June 2021, 16:43   #30573
BHPian

My wife's honor 8pro cracked due to a fall and needs replacing. She do not want too big a phone that mean nothing bigger than 6 inch.

FK will be selling it for 27k over weekend abs combining that with bank offers, may come to 26k.

She is not into gaming, but the mobile needs to withstand two young kids. So I'm thinking pixel 4a may be a good buy.

Any advice on this or any other mobile suggestions? We are very happy with honor which served us well, but not many options.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:02   #30574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

She is not into gaming, but the mobile needs to withstand two young kids. So I'm thinking pixel 4a may be a good buy.

Any advice on this or any other mobile suggestions? We are very happy with honor which served us well, but not many options.
You can go for Pixel 4a eyes closed - perfect size, light weight, clean android, timely updates for 3 years, awesome cameras n much more. It will serve you well over the years.

Put on a tempered glass and a durable cover like Spigen/Ringke and you are good for rough handling. Plastic build can take lot of abuse compared to glass backs.

Hope this helps
ToThePoint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:03   #30575
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
My wife's honor 8pro cracked due to a fall and needs replacing. She do not want too big a phone that mean nothing bigger than 6 inch.

So I'm thinking pixel 4a may be a good buy.

Any advice on this or any other mobile suggestions?
I am in the same boat. Have been using a 215g behemoth since the last couple of years (Oppo Reno 10x Zoom) so I am now craving for something lightweight and easy to handle.

Just saw on Flipkart that the landing page of the Mi 11 Lite is live, which says it's going to be just 6.8mm thick and will weigh only 157g! This will be available from June 22. So in all likelihood, my search has ended here (unless it's priced very unreasonably). Will need to put up with some bloatware though.

The Pixel 4a will be awesome but with the 5a around the corner, buying a generation older phone won't make much sense for many. The other option is to wait for the Asus 8Z.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:46   #30576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Just saw on Flipkart that the landing page of the Mi 11 Lite is live, which says it's going to be just 6.8mm thick and will weigh only 157g! This will be available from June 22. So in all likelihood, my search has ended here (unless it's priced very unreasonably). Will need to put up with some bloatware though.
I have been eagerly waiting for the MI 11 Lite ever since it was launched in China. I use a Oneplus 7 whose 183g itself feels "heavy" for me. MI 11 Lite would be just what I wanted except that they are getting the 4G version here and not the 5G. Not that I care about 5G network, but the 4G version has an inferior SD732 chipset while the 5G version comes with the 5nm SD780. Moving from the Oneplus 7 to the MI 11 Lite would rather feel like a downgrade.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 20:59   #30577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I have a Samsung M31 and an Airtel connection. Much of my work is done through the hotspot from this phone. At times, I don't get connection in my laptop though the phone will have good connectivity.

Any idea on what the issue can be?
In the Mobile Hotspot settings, ensure that the 5 Ghz band is selected. This will ensure a stronger and faster connection. But since the range will be limited, keep your phone near the laptop.
SgtRepeat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 00:34   #30578
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I have been eagerly waiting for the MI 11 Lite ever since it was launched in China. I use a Oneplus 7 whose 183g itself feels "heavy" for me. MI 11 Lite would be just what I wanted except that they are getting the 4G version here and not the 5G. Not that I care about 5G network, but the 4G version has an inferior SD732 chipset while the 5G version comes with the 5nm SD780. Moving from the Oneplus 7 to the MI 11 Lite would rather feel like a downgrade.
Oh that is a bummer, will rather wait for the 5G variant then.

Maybe the Asus 8Z will fit the bill, no concrete news on the Pixel 5a yet.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 20:02   #30579
BHPian

I am buying a phone after almost 3 years. Not interested in midrange-ish SOCs. 1yr old flagships are much better value IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
SD730G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
SD720 SOC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Pay more and get an iPhone 11.
Trust me, I had given it a lot of thought. That was the reason I mentioned Apple in my post. Thanks for the shout out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I Phone 11 4G or Mi11X Pro 5G both have good camera and video, and between 40 to 50 K. Can check out reviews before buying.
Nothing from the Mi 11X Series has OIS. Just the Mi 11 Ultra does (but that doesn't have an 'X' )

And Finally:
Quote:
The S20 FE is not out of your budget. It regularly shows up with a Rs.6000 off coupon on Amazon and on the Samsung website.

Also, you get Rs.2000 off on your first purchase from the Samsung Shop mobile app, and the price goes down further by another 5% if you have a referral code.

If some credit card discount is also going on then the deal becomes even more sweeter. Also there seems to be a corporate website where you get pretty neat discounts.

Just go to the website and request for a sales call back, they will guide you with the full process.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had totally missed this one. Turns out it is available for just Rs.38499 here: https://www.samsung.com/in/smartphones/galaxy-s20/buy/
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20210610-194631.png

Seems like S20 FE 5G it is. To sweeten the deal, this is the only one in my shortlist with IP68 certification.

This has suddenly become an important feature since earlier today my Mi A2 felt like having dal chawal for lunch. It dived into a bowl of dal and is now resting inside the (raw) rice box.

Looking back at my past history, this is my 4th phone (in 17 years) to have had some sort of water damage. Thats about 40% of my phones. When buying the most expensive phone I ever have (even after adjusting for inflation), seems to be a good idea that it have IP68 rating. The purchase is now postponed till the time I figure out whether we can give the phone for exchange.

Thanks anyways for the help.

Last edited by antz.bin : 10th June 2021 at 20:04.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:12   #30580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I had totally missed this one. Turns out it is available for just Rs.38499 here: https://www.samsung.com/in/smartphones/galaxy-s20/buy/
Did you manage to get the HDFC cashback? I was told that is a mistake and is not valid.
Old 12th June 2021, 19:56   #30581
BHPian

Booked Google pixel 4a for 26,000 from FK. Will be getting it delivered tomorrow. Between, exchanged my broken mobile and got another 1,250 exchange value too.
Old 12th June 2021, 20:42   #30582
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Booked Google pixel 4a for 26,000 from FK. Will be getting it delivered tomorrow. Between, exchanged my broken mobile and got another 1,250 exchange value too.
This is surprising. Have Flipkart started to take even broken mobiles now? Earlier they used to crib even for a slight scuff mark.
Old 12th June 2021, 21:27   #30583
BHPian

Quote:
This is surprising. Have Flipkart started to take even broken mobiles now? Earlier they used to crib even for a slight scuff mark.
Here are the checks and corresponding exchange amount. Mine falls in the second category. Thought its better than just keeping it at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20210612_212437_com.flipkart.android.jpg  

Old 13th June 2021, 01:12   #30584
Senior - BHPian

Pixel 4a gets a price cut, now available for 26999 along with usual discounts(5% unlimited with axis etc).
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-285825d6133442e1b8f4e0eaee183ddd.jpeg

Is it a good buy at this price (~25.7k with axis discount)?
Old 13th June 2021, 08:47   #30585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Pixel 4a gets a price cut, now available for 26999 along with usual discounts(5% unlimited with axis etc).
Is it a good buy at this price (~25.7k with axis discount)?
Even with this price cut its still an expensive. Only thing going for it is compact size.
Consider Samsung A52 which has almost identical hardware (albeit bigger and better screen and IP Protection)

Most Viewed